Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Troy Queef posted:

Rest well, GOAT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Just wanted to emptyquote that picture because it's don moves as gently caress

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/matthewacherry/status/739154386287394816

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

He truly was The Greatest. RIP Champ.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Dexo posted:

Yeah my bad, I got suckered in.

Anyway :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4mtBYhCScM

Remember when I said Ali was the greatest athlete ever and you said "Duh" and how it wasn't even a debate

How innocent we were then. How naive.

I have spent all day just thinking about how loving awesome Ali is.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The crazy thing about Ali winning the title three times is that he pretty much did it while fighting a murderer's row of heavyweights in the 1960's and 70's:

Sonny Liston
Joe Frazier
Ken Norton
George Foreman
Floyd Patterson

Hell he even whooped up on Archie Moore at the end of Moore's career.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Crazy Ted posted:

The crazy thing about Ali winning the title three times is that he pretty much did it while fighting a murderer's row of heavyweights in the 1960's and 70's:

Sonny Liston
Joe Frazier
Ken Norton
George Foreman
Floyd Patterson

Hell he even whooped up on Archie Moore at the end of Moore's career.

And that he did most of it in his 30s

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dexo posted:

Yeah my bad, I got suckered in.

Anyway :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4mtBYhCScM

Never saw this before. Ali was awesome.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I imagine Muhammad Ali and Anderson Silva trying to punch each other would be the closest we could ever get to a perpetual motion machine

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

The worst thing Ali ever did was agree to "fight" Antonio Inoki.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Ali_vs._Antonio_Inoki

It was one of the worst fights I've ever seen and pretty much was the beginning of the end for him because of all the damage done to his legs. You can watch this if you want, but it's quite dull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3vOssizwW4

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
My dad was big into boxing when he was a kid/teen in the 60s/70s and he was all about Ali, Frazier, etc. About a decade ago we were hanging out and channel surfing, and we came across the Rumble in the Jungle on ESPN Classic. To that point I'd only known George Foreman as the jolly old guy who fought when I was a kid and now sold grills, so when we were flipping channels and saw a young, mean Foreman boxing Ali, I was like "what the poo poo is this?" Pops said "oh we gotta watch this, you'll love it!" It was still the first or second round, so we watched basically the entire fight. I had no idea how it ended at the time, so when Ali popped George in the 8th I was like "HOOOOOLY poo poo!" and Pops hollered like he was a kid again, just like "BOOM!" on that last punch. Awesome fight.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
There are so many phenomenal Ali shots.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

AsInHowe posted:

There are so many phenomenal Ali shots.

Dude for real.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Posting from the Louisville area to say Ali owned.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Hotline MuAli

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Ali's funeral will be Friday afternoon. For some reason, Bill Clinton is the first person confirmed to be speaking.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Crazy Ted posted:

Ali's funeral will be Friday afternoon. For some reason, Bill Clinton is the first person confirmed to be speaking.

Bill Clinton will be doing the eulogy.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Shine posted:

My dad was big into boxing when he was a kid/teen in the 60s/70s and he was all about Ali, Frazier, etc. About a decade ago we were hanging out and channel surfing, and we came across the Rumble in the Jungle on ESPN Classic. To that point I'd only known George Foreman as the jolly old guy who fought when I was a kid and now sold grills, so when we were flipping channels and saw a young, mean Foreman boxing Ali, I was like "what the poo poo is this?" Pops said "oh we gotta watch this, you'll love it!" It was still the first or second round, so we watched basically the entire fight. I had no idea how it ended at the time, so when Ali popped George in the 8th I was like "HOOOOOLY poo poo!" and Pops hollered like he was a kid again, just like "BOOM!" on that last punch. Awesome fight.

When We Were Kings is a good documentary about that fight.

edit: there's a sick shot of sand leaking out the dent Foreman left in a heavy bag.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOKhqYMjXj8

Boxing's been good to me, Howard
Now I'm told, "you're growing old"
The whole time you knew
A couple of years I'd be through
Has boxing been good to you?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
CBC opened Hockey Night In Canada's broadcast of Game 3 of the Stanley Cup FInal with an awesome Ali montage, and seven minutes of Gretzky on Ali. Wayne talked about meeting him, and his role in sports history, between skill and charisma.

According to Gretzky, the two greatest athletes he ever saw were Ali and Jordan, and Ali was the greatest athlete he ever saw. No question about it.

Wonderful segment.

Enoch Root
Aug 28, 2007
My uncle got his fifteen minutes of fame by calling Howard Cosell during a live broadcast pretending to be Muhammad Ali. I guess ABC tried to deny it was a prank by saying it REALLY was Ali that called Cosell, my uncle however had recorded the entire conversation.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2209&dat=19741108&id=P6QrAAAAIBAJ&sjid=tvwFAAAAIBAJ&pg=3659,1665992&hl=en

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I wonder where boxing historians put Ali on their list of greats. Joe Louis seems to be Ali's best competition for #1. Tyson was great but he fell apart in a way that Neither Ali or Louis did. Jack Johnson got cheated out of some level of greatness simply because the times weren't right for it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Darth Brooks posted:

I wonder where boxing historians put Ali on their list of greats. Joe Louis seems to be Ali's best competition for #1. Tyson was great but he fell apart in a way that Neither Ali or Louis did. Jack Johnson got cheated out of some level of greatness simply because the times weren't right for it.

E: Now that I think about it, he will float around the edge of top 5.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 5, 2016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Darth Brooks posted:

For purely boxing things pound for pound Sugar Ray Robinson is usually the go to #1. Here's a list from Ring Magazine before they sold out, they have Ali at #3 in the last 80 years (last 80 years from 2002). I'd think any serious list would have him top 5, and it's about impossible to put him outside of the top 10.

Right or wrong Tyson is viewed way down the list because the Heavyweight division was pretty bad in his prime, same will happen with the Klitschkos.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Dont think this has been mentioned yet:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Ali_vs._Sonny_Liston

Easily the best Wikipedia article I've ever read. The twists and shocking turns just keep piling on

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Beautiful

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Ali must be the most talented athlete physical wise right? I mean Wilt's gotta be up there or tied with him but I can't think of a single person who displayed such insane motor and physical fitness.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Among dogs, Air Bud was a talented fellow whose talents have never been seem in another. Gotta be in the discussion.

Also, Willie Mays was an athletic freak.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Doltos posted:

Ali must be the most talented athlete physical wise right? I mean Wilt's gotta be up there or tied with him but I can't think of a single person who displayed such insane motor and physical fitness.

Bo fur pure athleticism before he got hurt? So much of Bo's story has gotten to mythological status that it's hard to judge.

From what I understand Ali could do things no one had ever seen from a guy that big. His footwork early on looks pretty amazing to me (not that I really know, but just from watching old videos and looking at the other guys who were very highly thought of). He doesn't even sound big by today's standards, but I bet he'd be a lot bigger with modern training methods.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Doltos posted:

Wilt and Thorpe are 1 and 2 and it's by a pretty big margin

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Metapod posted:

The thing about Ali, for me, is that his % of time spent playing vs time spent looking amazing is like 10x as high as anyone else.
Wilt looked unstoppable, but there were a lot of times in his last seasons where he was just drawing coverage and passing. Plus Russel had his number in the playoffs again and again and again.

Every Ali fight I watch, he's doing his crazy footwork, insane dodges, and sharp mental game like 1-5 times per minute. From 22-40 he's doing it in some regard constantly. I'm just floored at how he was a walking highlight reel.

There's not enough footage of guys from pre-1960 though: Ruth, Owens, Thorpe, Brown, for me to ever be able to know about them.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Doltos posted:

Babe Didrikson :colbert:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

AsInHowe posted:

He really was the Greatest.

Ali is #1. Jordan is maybe in the latter half of the top 10, all things considered. Ruth, Robinson, Owens, Bill Russell, Gretzky, Pele. Then probably Jordan, in terms of legit cultural impact.
I'd put Clemente in there as well with what he did on the field, off the field, and how he basically opened the door for generations of baseball players in Latin America while dealing with the media making him look like an illiterate idiot, not appreciating his skill, and making him look like a prima donna with feeling sore and hurt after games.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

AsInHowe posted:

He really was the Greatest.

Ali is #1. Jordan is maybe in the latter half of the top 10, all things considered. Ruth, Robinson, Owens, Bill Russell, Gretzky, Pele. Then probably Jordan
#11: Bartolo Colón

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Metapod posted:

Russell Westbrook

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Drunk Nerds posted:

The thing about Ali, for me, is that his % of time spent playing vs time spent looking amazing is like 10x as high as anyone else.
Wilt looked unstoppable, but there were a lot of times in his last seasons where he was just drawing coverage and passing. Plus Russel had his number in the playoffs again and again and again.

Every Ali fight I watch, he's doing his crazy footwork, insane dodges, and sharp mental game like 1-5 times per minute. From 22-40 he's doing it in some regard constantly. I'm just floored at how he was a walking highlight reel.

There's not enough footage of guys from pre-1960 though: Ruth, Owens, Thorpe, Brown, for me to ever be able to know about them.

Those are very solid points about Ali but here's the greatest thing about wilt he did whatever he wanted because he could. During his later years the newspapers would question if he could still be a dominant scorer then wilt would go on a tear for a game or two then go back to passing lol. Dude beat magic johnson in a pickup game in '79 (source magic johnson) and the nets wanted to sign him in the 80s. Really wished the wilt Ali fight would have happened. Also lmao at Russell having his number Russell played on an all star team with the only good coach at the time and wilt still averaged a 20 20.

For Thorpe he pretty much was the most athletic guy during his era and dominated whatever sport he wanted to play at the highest level

Ross Angeles posted:

Russell Westbrook

I'm waiting to see how his body holds up in his 30s from all the crashing to ground to make that claim

E: gently caress it I'm going deeper into the wilt hole. Wilt won track and field competitions at Kansas without practicing and literally just showing up, was an all time volleyball player, played for the globetrotters, lifted weights at weight that makes the strongest do a double take, and had incredible endurance. All of that while being 7+ ft tall and around 270-300+ pounds and had a very poor strength and conditioning program

Metapod fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 5, 2016

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Metapod posted:

Jim Thorpe? Is there even footage of him playing?

Grittybeard posted:

Bo fur pure athleticism before he got hurt? So much of Bo's story has gotten to mythological status that it's hard to judge.

From what I understand Ali could do things no one had ever seen from a guy that big. His footwork early on looks pretty amazing to me (not that I really know, but just from watching old videos and looking at the other guys who were very highly thought of). He doesn't even sound big by today's standards, but I bet he'd be a lot bigger with modern training methods.

Bo's feet were insanely quick and he had incredible upper body strength. Same with Wilt. Ali's conditioning was probably on par with both of them but his coordination sets him apart. I guess Jordan also can stake a claim in that department and probably a bunch of other modern day basketball players. Lawrence Taylor was also an underrated athlete as was some other boxers during Ali's era. Jim Brown should be up there in the domination department and random guy: Ladanian Tomlinson. Guy had such superb balance and coordinated strength.

Either way Ali straight up made a joke of his competition. Rewatching all his fights its insane to see how lightning quick his punches were and how bruises just suddenly appeared all over guys faces. Like you think he's just jabbing guys but those hits are landing like freight trains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Doltos posted:

Jim Thorpe? Is there even footage of him playing?

If there is it would be really bad quality but if you want I can look for some tomorrow when I get home. Thorpe won the pentathlon and decathlon in the 1912 Olympics and did so in dominate fashion (like won the decathlon by 800 points)

• Locked thread