Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I know it's really not the same but I don't feel like it's right to have a discussion about freak athletes with absolutely massive influence and importance across all aspects of their circle without mentioning Bruce Lee. I'm biased because I love the dude to death but he was a huge deal. Between him and Ali my love and respect for all the weird intricate layers of fighting/martial arts was planted as soon as I was old enough to pay attention to either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Bruce Lee definitely fits in the discussion of guys who made their sport more popular than it was before. Babe Ruth, Micheal Jordan, Vince Lombardi, Muhammad Ali are all on that list as well.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I wish ESPN or DirecTV or whoever is responsible would stop advertising Ali fights only to trick me into watching soccer :mad:

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 5, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Darth Brooks posted:

I wonder where boxing historians put Ali on their list of greats. Joe Louis seems to be Ali's best competition for #1. Tyson was great but he fell apart in a way that Neither Ali or Louis did. Jack Johnson got cheated out of some level of greatness simply because the times weren't right for it.

The one thing Tyson did was be explosive and fast at a sustained level that hadn't really been seen before. He could toss bombs for a few rounds, instead of one or two and be gassing out like most heavyweights. With the right head, who knows, but he got by on pure power.

That kind of guy is tricky to rank because you toss him against Foreman or Frasier or Lewis or Ali and hell, Tyson could have knocked any of them out. Would he have? Just as easy to say no because we know how he self destructed.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

HamNo has a great read about how insane Ali's in-ring strategy and style really was

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

First Ali is taken from us, and now it's Kimbo Slice. The great ones are dropping like flies.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Crazy Ted posted:

First Ali is taken from us, and now it's Kimbo Slice. The great ones are dropping like flies.

It's fitting the Slice thread got gassed

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It did? :confused:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

I checked several pages deep and didn't see it stop ruining my sick nasty burn on a dead guy who was probably very nice and had some good fights

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 8, 2016

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
No one brought up the 1996 Olympics?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80wMMFAcweQ

I was only a kid when I was watching this, but my mom was like "Oh my God, that's Muhammad Ali!" when he was revealed. His Parkinson's showed so bad, but man it was awesome that he came out and did that :unsmith:

This gif has 5 times the excitement than the Pacquiao / Mayweather fight had combined.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

seiferguy posted:

This gif has 5 times the excitement than the Pacquiao / Mayweather fight had combined.

I'm hearing the New Day trombone when he does the shake at the end :3:

Funeral possession is going by a few blocks from my house—I live about a 4 minutes walk away from Cave Hill. There's no way in hell I can get to the cemetary because it's jammed pack, but I should be able to get (really lovely) photos from the end of it. I'm a lousy shutterbug though so no promises.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
The procession is incredible, by the way. The chants of "Ali, Ali" are following them throughout the city and have not stopped. People are constantly showering the limo with flowers as it drives through the west end. The crowd's sprinkled so many flower petals at the cemetery that it's covered the path into the cemetery. It smells like a rose from like a block out.

Some of the crowd are coming out to touch the limo, and absolutely no one has a problem with it. They've rolled down the window, and members of the funeral procession are shaking hands and thanking them. The most startling moment so far is when a guy in a white hoodie ran up to the hearse, kissed the side, and started running alongside with his arms thrust over his head, shouting, "The greatest! Yes sir!" He ran with them for about a quarter of a mile and started a trend of other people running alongside the procession.

We'll be laving once they get to 32nd and Broadway to watch them go by (eventually). It's absolutely incredible to watch. For all the shaking heads, name calling, and establishment poo-pooing, this is the welcome home celebration he inspires, but no one remembers the naysayers.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope
I live in Louisville too, I drove over to near Cave Hill and I'm hanging out in my car for a bit until they get closer.

I've never really seen a funeral procession like this before, but it reminds me of the videos of Aryton Senna's procession (on a smaller scale).

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BossTweed posted:

I live in Louisville too, I drove over to near Cave Hill and I'm hanging out in my car for a bit until they get closer.

I've never really seen a funeral procession like this before, but it reminds me of the videos of Aryton Senna's procession (on a smaller scale).

Right by the entrance. I keep saying it over and over but it's incredible.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z1Ewj4bVhA

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

This Jewish guy speaking (missed his name) is dropping BOMBS.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

Chief McHeath posted:

This Jewish guy speaking (missed his name) is dropping BOMBS.

Seriously... "go to spiritualprogressives.org"

They are representing everyone for real in this memorial. I wasn't expecting Native Americans.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Program from the funeral, supposedly

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Anyone else watching this endless parade of bloviating douche-bags???

Good grief. Now up some crying college student spewing bog standard philosophical verbal diarrhea.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Stop being a caricature man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

how fuckin DARE you probate the trump IK

• Locked thread