Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

quote:

Muhammad Ali, the silver-tongued boxer and civil rights champion who famously proclaimed himself "The Greatest" and then spent a lifetime living up to the billing, is dead.

Ali died Friday at a Phoenix-area hospital, where he had spent the past few days being treated for respiratory complications, a family spokesperson confirmed to NBC News. He was 74.

Ali had suffered for three decades from Parkinson's Disease, a progressive neurological condition that slowly robbed him of both his legendary verbal grace and his physical dexterity. A funeral service is planned in his hometown of Louisville, Kentucky.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/muhammad-ali-greatest-all-time-dead-74-n584776

gently caress this has been a terrible year for famous people dying :smith:

Dexo fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Malloreon posted:

Holy poo poo

Yeah, My Dad is almost having a breakdown. As a Kid me and my Dad's only real bonding time was watching sports. Me and him used when live stuff wasn't going on on the weekends used to watch a bunch of old basketball games or boxing matches.

He has like every single Ali fight memorized p much down to the punch. This really loving sucks.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m2chT8HKs8

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ohyAOWebsI

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Criminal Minded posted:

The list of athletes whose death would warrant page A1 above the fold is small. Ali trumps them all. Among living athletes only Jordan could compare, and half his celebrity is branding.Ali was on the cover of magazines as a political activist. The man was truly larger than life.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Man, Wilbon has his problems and says dumb poo poo occasionally, but his stuff on Ali now on ESPN is great.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am just gonna say it, Ali was the most important athlete in American history

Duh?

The only ones in the same stratosphere are Jessie Owens and Jackie Robinson.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Criminal Minded posted:

Jordan and Babe Ruth. But yeah pretty much.

In Terms of Importance and fame, Babe Ruth doesn't belong in that group.

Jordan probably makes it in terms of fame because he was the athlete who had such amazing branding and marketing dollars put behind him.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 4, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Jordan wasn't important in terms of any type of belief system or having any kind of social change. This dude was as unpolitical as humanly possible.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Criminal Minded posted:

Of the American athletes venerated as the greatest of all-time, only Ruth played before the second half of the 20th century. His shadow is insanely long.

Whenever Ali fought, or did anything it was a loving worldwide Event.

Babe doesn't get close to him in either fame or importance lol.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Ross Angeles posted:

Somewhere, Floyd Mayweather is still saying that he's better than Ali

I mean...In terms of the sport of Boxing alone he dominated an era enough where he can be put in that conversation, at least in terms of Boxing. It's probably Sugar Ray(not Shane I'm dumb)in his prime though.

Ali I wouldn't say is the best boxer to ever do it. But his importance was so much more outside of the ring than inside.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Oh the second he mentioned Gretzky I tuned the gently caress out.

Really loving Gretzky is who you are gonna go with?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Doltos posted:

I said in the American view of athletes. Go up to anyone in the street and ask them to list the most important athletes to them and you can bet your bottom dollar the vast majority will rattle off Jordan or Ruth over Robinson or Owens. That's my point but I can see that no one likes reading sooooo

To them personally or to America or the world in general?

poo poo I could go up and probably find someone who finds that like Sammy Sosa is the most important to them, as that Sosa/McGuire race is what got me into baseball in general. Personally Jordan is most important to me, as I loving love Basketball and grew up watching him.

But I'm not gonna sit here and say Jordan was the more important than Jackie Robinson. Neither would most people if you worded the question like that.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Doltos posted:

I think Robinson breaking the color barrier was an unbelievable impact on professional sports in the same vein as Ali's talk about Vietnam and racism in America. Only issue is Robinson was also a conservative republican who voted for Nixon and was all for the Vietnam war, so it's a little confusing to me when people here are praising his activism when he was really main lining traditional values of the era. Owens also wasn't really an activist at all and was fighting the much realer fight of getting paid so he could eat. I'm sure if he was in Ali's era he'd have had an easier personal life which would have allowed him to fight for his causes, but even then he was also clearly on record saying he didn't support the black panther salute at the Olympics.

So taking activism out of it, which was just one part of what made Ali the GOAT, if we're talking about pure impacts on sports I don't see how Robinson or Owens equals the other huge names of the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Soccer, and Boxing. I just don't see it. Apparently that makes me worse than Hitler again.

And? I don't give a poo poo, There were tons of people who believed Vietnam. In that particular Time and space I completely understand supporting it. And the Black Panthers are still a debate , so yeah back then I completely understand it. I don't need some perfect athlete to embody every thing perfectly that I never disagree with.

It's why I don't get mad at people who supported the various crime bills in the 90s, or supported the Iraq war. In that particular time and place I completely understand supporting it. My anger is directed at the government who lied and manipulated people into said war.

If you wanna be honest Ali was a gigantic piece of poo poo to Fraizer and others with some of the offensive things he said. People are a mix of their flaws and successes.

Also if you don't think loving Jackie Robinson has a greater impact on sports than loving Gretzky or Babe Ruth you are a loving idiot and I am done responding to anything you have to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

straight up brolic posted:

this is the worst thread in the history of SAS which is saying something

Yeah my bad, I got suckered in.

Anyway :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4mtBYhCScM

• Locked thread