Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am just gonna say it, Ali was the most important athlete in American history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Even in death Ali was telling racist America to suck his dick

Dexo posted:

Duh?

The only ones in the same stratosphere are Jessie Owens and Jackie Robinson.

I wouldn't even put Owens and Robinson in the same category. loving Ali man. loving Ali.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dexo posted:

Jordan wasn't important in terms of any type of belief system or having any kind of social change. This dude was as unpolitical as humanly possible.

That's the thing too. Every category you could qualify, Ali was at the top

Dominance of a sport: Ali is the most important ever
Media influence: Ali is the most important ever
Political significance: Ali is the most important ever
Racial relations: Ali is the most important ever

There is not a single category we judge the value of an athlete by that Ali is not the most important at, or at the very least in the running for

Criminal Minded posted:

Of the American athletes venerated as the greatest of all-time, only Ruth played before the second half of the 20th century. His shadow is insanely long.

His shadow was huge because he was loving fat rear end

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

American history? World history and its not close.

*thinks about it for a second*

poo poo pretty much yeah

Cross-posted from TFF:

Keep in mind: Ali's ban for refusing to serve in Vietnam was when he was in his prime: 25-29

We never saw Ali compete at his best. He was the greatest ever and his best matches were in his loving thirties

Imagine what Ali would have looked like if he had been allowed to box during that time.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dexo posted:

Babe doesn't get close to him in either fame or importance lol.

Agreed

I mean, Ruth was probably the first superstar modern athlete, but there is big a difference between being the first and being the best ever

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ross Angeles posted:

Somewhere, Floyd Mayweather is still saying that he's better than Ali

To Floyd's credit, his W/L record against criminal convictions is better than Ali's

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kalli posted:

You could make the argument that Jordan is probably the best central point in how sports are totally and completely engulfed by crass corporate consumerism. And that neutering of beliefs and social awareness is what sports have pushed towards. A wandering drunken thought at 2 AM at least.

Yeah, Ali was the model of what athletes could be. Jordan is the model of what athletes are.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Agreed

I mean, Ruth was probably the first superstar modern athlete, but there is big a difference between being the first and being the best ever

Youth Decay posted:

Jack Johnson preceded Ruth, and in terms of relevance outside of sports he had much more of an impact.

emphasis on probably

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

straight up brolic posted:

the most important athlete is Carmelo Anthony because he's the first digital athlete

Jason Pierre-Paul is more important because he is the first digitless athlete

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dexo posted:

Yeah my bad, I got suckered in.

Anyway :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4mtBYhCScM

Remember when I said Ali was the greatest athlete ever and you said "Duh" and how it wasn't even a debate

How innocent we were then. How naive.

I have spent all day just thinking about how loving awesome Ali is.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

The crazy thing about Ali winning the title three times is that he pretty much did it while fighting a murderer's row of heavyweights in the 1960's and 70's:

Sonny Liston
Joe Frazier
Ken Norton
George Foreman
Floyd Patterson

Hell he even whooped up on Archie Moore at the end of Moore's career.

And that he did most of it in his 30s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I imagine Muhammad Ali and Anderson Silva trying to punch each other would be the closest we could ever get to a perpetual motion machine

• Locked thread