Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
This year blows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Beautiful

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Doltos posted:

Ali must be the most talented athlete physical wise right? I mean Wilt's gotta be up there or tied with him but I can't think of a single person who displayed such insane motor and physical fitness.

Wilt and Thorpe are 1 and 2 and it's by a pretty big margin

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Drunk Nerds posted:

The thing about Ali, for me, is that his % of time spent playing vs time spent looking amazing is like 10x as high as anyone else.
Wilt looked unstoppable, but there were a lot of times in his last seasons where he was just drawing coverage and passing. Plus Russel had his number in the playoffs again and again and again.

Every Ali fight I watch, he's doing his crazy footwork, insane dodges, and sharp mental game like 1-5 times per minute. From 22-40 he's doing it in some regard constantly. I'm just floored at how he was a walking highlight reel.

There's not enough footage of guys from pre-1960 though: Ruth, Owens, Thorpe, Brown, for me to ever be able to know about them.

Those are very solid points about Ali but here's the greatest thing about wilt he did whatever he wanted because he could. During his later years the newspapers would question if he could still be a dominant scorer then wilt would go on a tear for a game or two then go back to passing lol. Dude beat magic johnson in a pickup game in '79 (source magic johnson) and the nets wanted to sign him in the 80s. Really wished the wilt Ali fight would have happened. Also lmao at Russell having his number Russell played on an all star team with the only good coach at the time and wilt still averaged a 20 20.

For Thorpe he pretty much was the most athletic guy during his era and dominated whatever sport he wanted to play at the highest level

Ross Angeles posted:

Russell Westbrook

I'm waiting to see how his body holds up in his 30s from all the crashing to ground to make that claim

E: gently caress it I'm going deeper into the wilt hole. Wilt won track and field competitions at Kansas without practicing and literally just showing up, was an all time volleyball player, played for the globetrotters, lifted weights at weight that makes the strongest do a double take, and had incredible endurance. All of that while being 7+ ft tall and around 270-300+ pounds and had a very poor strength and conditioning program

Metapod fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 5, 2016

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Doltos posted:

Jim Thorpe? Is there even footage of him playing?

If there is it would be really bad quality but if you want I can look for some tomorrow when I get home. Thorpe won the pentathlon and decathlon in the 1912 Olympics and did so in dominate fashion (like won the decathlon by 800 points)

• Locked thread