Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Honestly surprised he lasted this long. Parkinson's had him hosed up for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
You're all insane. Babe Ruth and Michael Jordan were absolutely more important athletes than Jesse Owens and Jackie Robinson in the Americana view of professional athletes. 90% of America could probably name those two athletes alongside Muhammed Ali. Jesse Owens and Jackie Robinson took great leaps forward for the cause of black athletes in professional sports but they were hardly the activists that Ali was and hardly the personalities of Jordan or Ruth.

Babe Ruth spawned the modern superstar. Michael Jordan was the most iconic figure of the 1990s including world leaders and pop culture artists. Dude was almost as big as Michael Jackson around the world, and that was probably really close. A case could even be made to put Gretzky ahead of Owens and Robinson. It sucks, yeah, but sports fans in America care more about fame than social change. Muhammed Ali happened to have both in spades which is why he's the #1 undisputed GOAT in American sports and probably around the world (although there is an argument for various soccer stars over the years, most notably Pele).

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I said in the American view of athletes. Go up to anyone in the street and ask them to list the most important athletes to them and you can bet your bottom dollar the vast majority will rattle off Jordan or Ruth over Robinson or Owens. That's my point but I can see that no one likes reading sooooo

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Sorry bros not everyone lives in the social justice bubble of SAS. You absolutely are going to find a ton of people who think Jordan is more important than Robinson and will think you're crazy af for not thinking the same way.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

zakharov posted:

farrrrrrrrttttttttttttttttt

Zak shut up you're the biggest weiner

straight up brolic posted:

it's a testament to ali's greatness that a bunch of people who never saw him fight are willing to vociferously defend him

youtube and .gifs

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

AsInHowe posted:

Doltos, does Ric Flair being a 15-time world champion degrade Ali's mere three times being world champ?

No, Ric Flair's social change trumps Ali's. Look at how many girls now wear those sexy rear end 1980's leggings because of him

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

straight up brolic posted:

why don't you guys post about Ali instead of arguing about the semantics of fame and importance?

Ali's most underrated aspect was his ability to say a lot with a little. His speeches weren't great because he rhymed and talked trash, they were great because he could paint amazing pictures with simple metaphors and similes.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

GeneX posted:

There's an argument to be made, and I don't know my position on it, that Jordan's impact on the world of professional sports was greater (in scope, obviously, not ethically) than Robinson or Owens'.

Ali is obviously #1, and it would take a world-shifting event for anyone else to even have an opportunity to be as impactful.

I think Robinson breaking the color barrier was an unbelievable impact on professional sports in the same vein as Ali's talk about Vietnam and racism in America. Only issue is Robinson was also a conservative republican who voted for Nixon and was all for the Vietnam war, so it's a little confusing to me when people here are praising his activism when he was really main lining traditional values of the era. Owens also wasn't really an activist at all and was fighting the much realer fight of getting paid so he could eat. I'm sure if he was in Ali's era he'd have had an easier personal life which would have allowed him to fight for his causes, but even then he was also clearly on record saying he didn't support the black panther salute at the Olympics.

So taking activism out of it, which was just one part of what made Ali the GOAT, if we're talking about pure impacts on sports I don't see how Robinson or Owens equals the other huge names of the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Soccer, and Boxing. I just don't see it. Apparently that makes me worse than Hitler again.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Pron on VHS posted:

And yeah, Owens and Robinson weren't focused on activism primarily. But again, who cares? What is your point? What is "pure impact on sports" and why are you trying to rank athletes on such a dumbass metric.

Because everyone else was for two pages?

Dexo posted:

Also if you don't think loving Jackie Robinson has a greater impact on sports than loving Gretzky or Babe Ruth you are a loving idiot and I am done responding to anything you have to say.

Sorry for having a different opinion than you Dexo. I didn't know you were so sensitive. Also love how you dropped Jordan or any other black athlete out of your example.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Ali must be the most talented athlete physical wise right? I mean Wilt's gotta be up there or tied with him but I can't think of a single person who displayed such insane motor and physical fitness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Metapod posted:

Wilt and Thorpe are 1 and 2 and it's by a pretty big margin

Jim Thorpe? Is there even footage of him playing?

Grittybeard posted:

Bo fur pure athleticism before he got hurt? So much of Bo's story has gotten to mythological status that it's hard to judge.

From what I understand Ali could do things no one had ever seen from a guy that big. His footwork early on looks pretty amazing to me (not that I really know, but just from watching old videos and looking at the other guys who were very highly thought of). He doesn't even sound big by today's standards, but I bet he'd be a lot bigger with modern training methods.

Bo's feet were insanely quick and he had incredible upper body strength. Same with Wilt. Ali's conditioning was probably on par with both of them but his coordination sets him apart. I guess Jordan also can stake a claim in that department and probably a bunch of other modern day basketball players. Lawrence Taylor was also an underrated athlete as was some other boxers during Ali's era. Jim Brown should be up there in the domination department and random guy: Ladanian Tomlinson. Guy had such superb balance and coordinated strength.

Either way Ali straight up made a joke of his competition. Rewatching all his fights its insane to see how lightning quick his punches were and how bruises just suddenly appeared all over guys faces. Like you think he's just jabbing guys but those hits are landing like freight trains.

• Locked thread