Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The image caption is poor, but when driving on narrow curvy roads, it's common practice to honk your horn when approaching a curve. It's to let someone that might be on the other side of the curve going in the opposite direction know you are there :D

They do this in mountain roads in Thailand too but it's because Thai truckers think it's normal to use both your lane and the oncoming lane as your space so you can hit apexes better when driving curvy roads, so you're basically begging them not to do this and kill you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Sheep-Goats posted:

You're supposed to do that dumbass. You have plenty of time to go left once oncoming traffic stops due to their red, as do the two or three people in the intersection behind you. You're loving everything up waiting to turn left from behind the line like a pee drinking woman

Doing this causes no accidents.
it varies by area and some states will ticket for it and may have a dont block the box marking, and it lowers visibility etc. one more car length 'saved' isnt going to make much of a difference. and it has lead to accidents around here

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Applewhite posted:

How does that work when you're in a bumper to bumper slow lane but you want to get into the fast moving lame next to you? You gotta slow down until enough space opens up in front of you to let you get a running start.

He's talking about people who slow down as they execute the merge regardless of the speed of traffic in the lane they're merging into. It's really dumb but I see it constantly.

Sheep-Goats posted:

No, you should be using your brake regularly in traffic. If you aren't you're stringing enough slack into the lineup that its going to gently caress up traffic behind you.

If it's night and there's no traffic you can see that you'll hit the red way down the road and just stop giving your car gas. If there's traffic you need to do the speed limit and catch up to it to make volume on the road for other cars behind you to fill.

People who drive the way you do are what causes most traffic congestion to begin with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suugn-p5C1M

That shock wave is caused by people hitting their brakes and it then cascading behind them. If you stop worrying about cramming the most cars into the smallest space you can actually get those cars to move at respectable speeds. Traffic isn't caused by there being too many cars on the roads, it's erratic driving that causes the shock waves that are multiplied when lots of people are on the road. It's weird, there are places in LA where you can be in bumper to bumper traffic but everyone is doing 70 mph no problems. Or you can be an a not particularly busy road but the flow of traffic is really slow because some people keep starting little shock waves behind them.

http://trafficwaves.org/trafexp.html

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Relin posted:

one more car length 'saved' isnt going to make much of a difference.
It is on a street that's actually busy, where the alternative is zero cars turning.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Relin posted:

it varies by area and some states will ticket for it and may have a dont block the box marking, and it lowers visibility etc. one more car length 'saved' isnt going to make much of a difference. and it has lead to accidents around here

No it's always correct to do this. States that prohibit it are wrong and it makes a huge difference in traffic flow.

It cannot possibly lead to an accident. You are literally stopped. Everyone else in the intersection is stopped. Someone would have to suddenly go blind and then stomp on the gas randomly to hit you.

If the turning lane has had enough median removed to make space for three cars and the cars don't go into the intersection on the light those three cars will never move. Then someone will try to pudge into the turning lane space and block one of the oncoming lanes. Doing what you think is the right thing to do royally fucks up traffic and you're a howling idiot and a wuss for defending it.

raton fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 9, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dogmeat posted:

He's talking about people who slow down as they execute the merge regardless of the speed of traffic in the lane they're merging into. It's really dumb but I see it constantly.

That shock wave is caused by people hitting their brakes and it then cascading behind them. If you stop worrying about cramming the most cars into the smallest space you can actually get those cars to move at respectable speeds. Traffic isn't caused by there being too many cars on the roads, it's erratic driving that causes the shock waves that are multiplied when lots of people are on the road. It's weird, there are places in LA where you can be in bumper to bumper traffic but everyone is doing 70 mph no problems. Or you can be an a not particularly busy road but the flow of traffic is really slow because some people keep starting little shock waves behind them.

http://trafficwaves.org/trafexp.html

So what you're saying is that the guy I addressed the video to shouldn't drive bizarrely and gently caress everyone up behind him, which is what I said, so ok.

Fitting cars into the space available is exactly the situation you see when cars are a second away from eachother on an LA freeway and moving right along at 70. The putz who thinks you're never supposed to use your brake in traffic is preventing this from happening. Irregularities are inevitable, you pay for them in advance by going fast and staying up with traffic or you pay for them retroactively with a traffic jam as the slack propagates backwards.

raton fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 9, 2016

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Sheep-Goats posted:

No it's always correct to do this. States that prohibit it are wrong and it makes a huge difference in traffic flow.

It cannot possibly lead to an accident. You are literally stopped. Everyone else in the intersection is stopped. Someone would have to suddenly go blind and then stomp on the gas randomly to hit you.

If the turning lane has had enough median removed to make space for three cars and the cars don't go into the intersection on the light those three cars will never move. Then someone will try to pudge into the turning lane space and block one of the oncoming lanes. Doing what you think is the right thing to do royally fucks up traffic and you're a howling idiot and a wuss for defending it.
well i guess its one more thing i can take pleasure in on the road knowing it bothers aggressive drivers

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Relin posted:

well i guess its one more thing i can take pleasure in on the road knowing it bothers aggressive drivers

blocking a lane indefinitely?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

With so many drivers on the roads its the height of arrogance to believe any one driver could have an effect on traffic which is why i dont even really bother to look where im going or use blinkers at all

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
don't pass on the right and then honk at me when we both try to come back into the middle lane you idiot fucker that drives a Fiat

if you're in this thread by some infinitesimal cosmic chance gently caress you also your car sucks, much like you

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I wasn't advocating tailgating, I was saying use enough gas to stay a reasonable distance behind someone, and just the gas. Don't get yourself in a situation where you're driving normally and rush up then have to brake to avoid a collision, use only the gas and only an appropriate amount.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

cheerfullydrab posted:

I wasn't advocating tailgating, I was saying use enough gas to stay a reasonable distance behind someone, and just the gas. Don't get yourself in a situation where you're driving normally and rush up then have to brake to avoid a collision, use only the gas and only an appropriate amount.

hm, this sounds reasonable, but have you considered driving faster than the person in front of you? its basically the best way to go faster than the people around you.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

satanic splash-back posted:

hm, this sounds reasonable, but have you considered driving faster than the person in front of you? its basically the best way to go faster than the people around you.

The gas pedal helps with that, too.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Sheep-Goats posted:

So what you're saying is that the guy I addressed the video to shouldn't drive bizarrely and gently caress everyone up behind him, which is what I said, so ok.

Fitting cars into the space available is exactly the situation you see when cars are a second away from eachother on an LA freeway and moving right along at 70. The putz who thinks you're never supposed to use your brake in traffic is preventing this from happening. Irregularities are inevitable, you pay for them in advance by going fast and staying up with traffic or you pay for them retroactively with a traffic jam as the slack propagates backwards.

If you're a second behind a vehicle and traveling at 70mph, enjoy your vastly increased risk of serious bodily harm or death. Even losing a quarter of a second at that distance/speed can mean death. I recommend taking the amphetamines the Air Force pilots use to stay awake and alert on long flights so your focus never lapses. The trick is they give them downers later so they can sleep.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Drunk Nerds posted:

Nobody was going straight in the scenarios. Hard to explain without diagrams: either person making a u turn and person 90 degrees to their left making a right turn, or person making a left turn and person going the other direction making a right

Oh I think I know what you mean, yeah.

cheerfullydrab posted:

You should only ever have to brake to stop for signs or signals or to not hit people who are driving wrong. You shouldn't ever have to brake when you're just driving. You should be able to look at what's coming along the road and adjust your use of the gas pedal to traverse any section of the road at an appropriate speed. A good fast speed, or at the very least, one that keeps up with traffic.

I swear people have collectively started to forget this where I live because SO MANY IDIOTS hit their brakes to let people on the onramp get onto the highway. It's their responsibility to merge on safely, not yours to adjust your speed to let them on ffs.

Traffic causers.

Relin posted:

supposedly its legal in VA to do that thing where to pull into an intersection when waiting to turn while the lights red

unsurprisingly this seems to be the cause of a lot of accidents

just sit at the stop sign line you mother fuckers

Uh how does that cause accidents? Try waiting at the line in Los Angeles and you'll shoot yourself in the face in about 1 day not to mention you'll be the guy who makes it so you're the only one that makes your turn despite the line of 8 cars behind you.

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 9, 2016

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

JiveHonky posted:

Phantom Brakers piss me off.

i'm constantly ending up behind folks who have a clear lane ahead of them but they are hitting the brakes for no known reason. What the gently caress you pushing your brake pedal for? there is nobody in front of you, im a respectful distance from you, what the gently caress are you braking for?

Roylicious posted:

JFC this x10000

Also if you're turning right get the gently caress over then and make your turn what the poo poo is wrong with you slowing to an almost stop still just in the middle of the lane aaaarrrgh.
Agreed and adding
Holy loving poo poo if you're turning left get into the median or turning lane BEFORE you hit your brakes. " get the gently caress outta the way. Get the gently caress outta the way!"

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 9, 2016

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
If you speed up to stay in a pack with the cars ahead of you, you are part of the problem. The trick to preventing compression wave jams is to keep as much separation as possible while maintaining speed. Not by cozying up to the cars ahead of you like you want to sniff their butts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Hey I learned that from some science video in physics class where they showed a supercomputer simulating traffic!

I almost wish I didn't know it because it's not like anyone is going to stop driving like a dumbass though and that's just one more thing I know they are doing wrong.

Robot cars please.

• Locked thread