Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Kaedric posted:

No... only idiot morons do this. This only makes sense if you can guarantee that the people in the oncoming traffic lane won't ever ever ever run a red light, else your stupid rear end is stuck in the intersection for ages while cross traffic plows into you out of spite.

http://bc-injury-law.com/blog/left-hand-turn-red-faultless-intersection-crash

quote:

5. the plaintiff concluded, and was entitled in fact and in law to conclude, that the defendant’s vehicle did not present a hazard, that he had plenty of time stop (as other vehicles had done) and that it was safe for her to proceed with her left turn;

You're supposed to pull into the intersection and wait and if some clown runs the red light and hits you they're 100% at fault. If you're objecting on safety grounds I'd argue you're also far more likely to get road rage murdered by the guy behind you if you don't commit to a turn so he at least gets to at the next green light than you ever were likely to get killed by a dude outright running a red light.

Hell, people who pull far enough into the intersection to let a second guy get in on committing to the turn deserve nobel peace prizes for being super cool dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The best part of this thread is people getting upset about people expecting them to drive properly.

Yeah I really can't wait until most of the people on the road are in self driving cars that can pay attention and make routine decisions for them.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

bar88537 posted:

Real question that I need goon advice on. There's an intersection on my commute where the light will never change green unless it's tripped, and the sensor for the trip is much closer to the intersection than you'd expect. About twice a month, someone sits at the intersection too far back and the light never changes. How do I communicate to them that they need to inch forward a bit?

Honking doesn't work cause they think I want them to run the red but I can't think of anything else useful. The situation usually resolves after like 5 min when the person decides to turn right which changes the light for me to go forward.

Some traffic lights have a sensor on them that tries to identify flashing lights from emergency vehicles, so a high powered flashlight that you pulse at it can turn it green if you're desperate. You could get a ticket if a cop sees you doing it, though. I really wish people would learn what the loving road sensors look like. It's very obvious if you're :siren: paying attention while driving :siren:. It's really annoying at train crossings because some timid fucks stop waaaaay back.

E: If it's got this thing:

Then you can rig up a little transmitter that emergency vehicles have to trip the light but I think that's a felony in federal court if you get caught now.

Big Beef City posted:

Hey you stupid dummy, in many states there's no such thing as '100% fault'. Your car can be parked in your driveway without you even being home, a dude can drive his shitmobile into it right off the road, and you're still partially liable.
I'm not making this up.

I know there are different fault thresholds in many different states but unless you can provide an example of what you describe actually happening, I'm going to continue to think you're full of poo poo. Some states wont allow you to collect damages if you're even 1% at fault, some allow the other party to collect damages even if they're 99% at fault (typically reduced by whatever factor they were at fault), but as far as I know there isn't a state that would in any way claim you were partially responsible for a dude driving onto your property and hitting a parked car because that's loving dumb as all hell.

Dogmeat fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 5, 2016

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Applewhite posted:

How does that work when you're in a bumper to bumper slow lane but you want to get into the fast moving lame next to you? You gotta slow down until enough space opens up in front of you to let you get a running start.

He's talking about people who slow down as they execute the merge regardless of the speed of traffic in the lane they're merging into. It's really dumb but I see it constantly.

Sheep-Goats posted:

No, you should be using your brake regularly in traffic. If you aren't you're stringing enough slack into the lineup that its going to gently caress up traffic behind you.

If it's night and there's no traffic you can see that you'll hit the red way down the road and just stop giving your car gas. If there's traffic you need to do the speed limit and catch up to it to make volume on the road for other cars behind you to fill.

People who drive the way you do are what causes most traffic congestion to begin with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suugn-p5C1M

That shock wave is caused by people hitting their brakes and it then cascading behind them. If you stop worrying about cramming the most cars into the smallest space you can actually get those cars to move at respectable speeds. Traffic isn't caused by there being too many cars on the roads, it's erratic driving that causes the shock waves that are multiplied when lots of people are on the road. It's weird, there are places in LA where you can be in bumper to bumper traffic but everyone is doing 70 mph no problems. Or you can be an a not particularly busy road but the flow of traffic is really slow because some people keep starting little shock waves behind them.

http://trafficwaves.org/trafexp.html

• Locked thread