Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Hi, friends! My name is Fae and according to my friends I've never played a videogame before.

Well, that's not completely true but there are a lot of classic and well loved games that I've never touched or even know anything about! Last year I knocked one of these games off my list by finally beating Ocarina of Time for the first time, aided by my good friend and Designated Navi ChaosArgate, a whole host of friends and guests and my own wits!

Majora's Mask was on my list pretty much the moment I beat OoT and a lot of people have been very excited to see me play it! Released for the N64 in 2000 (April 27 in Japan, North American on October 26th and Europe on November 17th) and remastered for the 3DS early last year, its certainly one of the more divisive Zelda games! Opinions tend to range from people considering it the best Zelda game to thinking its the worst, and in my experience there's not a lot in between. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

I know very little about this game and have never played it or watched it being played. I know literally three things about the game going in, and they're very obvious things like "there are masks" and "its built on the OoT engine". I'm going in with no foreknowledge or preparation whatsoever and everything you see in these videos is something I'm seeing for the first time! But its not all bad! As usual I'm dragging Navi aka ChaosArgate with me, and I'm also joined by a new permanent co-commentator Tatl aka Artix, who has assured me that he knows this game like the back of his hand. Along with you guys here in the thread, the two of them will be helping me bumble my way through Clock Town and beyond as I make new friends, smash my face into new enemies and die in stupid ways that are 85% of the time, my own drat fault. So let's get started shall we?

This is a blind LP, so the spoiler policy is very strict. Since I can't write something forceful even if my life depended on it, I outsourced the spoiler policy to Artix. So here's what he has to say.

Artix posted:

No. loving. Spoilers. None whatsoever. That means no black bars, no wink-wink-nudge-nudge bullshit, no leading questions, no direct messages, not even vague warnings of upcoming sections. If it has not appeared on video or been directly addressed by either myself or Argate, it is a spoiler. Period.

Fedule posted:

This policy is hereby moderator backed. Please do not test it.

If, for whatever reason, you absolutely must get in touch with Fae, shoot either Argate or myself a PM. If we can answer the question, we will, otherwise we’ll get in touch with Fae and get back to you. Do not attempt to contact Fae directly, she has PMs turned off specifically because of idiots like the above.

...And as an aside, if I see even the slightest hint of BEN Drowned, it will be YOUR TURN. By which I mean I will personally find you and bludgeon you to death with an N64.

....thanks, Artix! Now, without further ado...

A note on the first session: A couple of things went wrong. First of all I accidentally hosed up my audio recording a little bit so my video ended up having the audio from my two co-commentators baked into it. Their audio isn't as good as it should be and ChaosArgate's smoke detector is beeping periodically in the background. Secondly, Majora's Mask doesn't emulate well without some fiddling. There are a few audio issues with the game itself (a little bit of skipping and slowdowns, etc) and the cool transition that's supposed to play as the day is ending doesn't play. That's the nature of blind LPs I suppose, I couldn't exactly load the game up to make sure things worked perfectly before I started! The good news is that we fix it after episode 4 thanks to my buddy FPzero who helped me get everything working correctly!

Episode 1 - I Know Three Things About This Game
Episode 2 - Dog Wants My Bones
Episode 3 - Weird Kid Cult
Episode 4 - A Selfie Gone Wrong
Episode 5 - Bumbling Into The Plot
Episode 6 - Tingle, What Did You Do!?
Episode 7 - Throw Tingle Into A Ditch
Episode 8 - Mail Fraud
Episode 9 - Featuring LP Superstar Blind Sally
Episode 10 - Properly Adorable
Episode 11 - I Remember Things
Episode 12 - A Nice Relaxing Boat Ride
Episode 13 - Tactical Stealth Action Pt. 2
Episode 14 - I Hate This Couple
Episode 15 - High Explosives You Put On Your Face
Episode 16 - This Is So Unnecessary
Episode 17 - Buttwings
Episode 18 - Link Has Mad Ups
Episode 19 - I'm Not Good At These Games
Episode 20 - Just A Regular-rear end Frog
Episode 21 - At Least Six Problems
Episode 22 - He's Just Looting A Corpse
Episode 23 - You're Completely On Your Own
Bonus 1 - Artix's Combat School
Episode 24 - My Favourite Character In FFXIII
Episode 25 - Technical Difficulties
Episode 26 - This Is A Cool Hallucination We're All Having
Episode 27 - ChaosArgate Learned A Thing
Episode 28 - I Hate Mazes
Episode 29 - Please Don't Punch The Baby
Episode 30 - Fairy Hunting
Episode 31 - Morph Ball Experiments
Episode 32 - Shut Up, That's Why
Episode 33 - Firing Blind
Episode 34 - Lunch Break
Episode 35 - Literally Standing On The Answer
Episode 36 - Can We Do That Again?
Episode 37 - Its Been A While
Episode 38 - The One Where Everyone But Me Is Playing Pokemon
Episode 39 - The Truth Is Out There
Episode 40 - Fae, Please Pay More Attention
Episode 41 - I Know This Stand
Episode 42 - You Are A Slimy Fish
Episode 43 - Wasps Are Avatars of Pure Hatred
Episode 44 - There's No Joy At The End Of This Road
Episode 45 - The Hookshot Is Not A Fish
Episode 46 - Sweet Jam Sessions
Episode 47 - Let's Not Try Again
Episode 48 - Old Man Yells At Moon
Episode 49 - Artix, Hero Of Baked Goods
Episode 50 - I've Played A Link To The Past
Episode 51 - Stupid rear end in a top hat Frog
Episode 52 - The Definition Of Insanity
Episode 53 - I Did Not Look Up
Episode 54 - I Broke It
Episode 55 - This Is Not A Good Boss
Episode 56 - Nobody Has Faith In Me Any More
Episode 57 - I Shouldn't Have Wasted All That Time
Episode 58 - I've Learned To Look Up
Episode 59 - Now I'm The King Of The Research
Episode 60 - Look At This Majestic Seagull
Episode 61 - All Up In Its Grundle
Episode 62 - Extreme Gibdo Racing
Episode 63 - I Wanted To Stand On It
Episode 64 - I Have Some Questions
Episode 65 - Can I Unlearn This?
Bonus 2 - Parade
Episode 66 - Don't Look Down
Episode 67 - Well, Isn't This Nice?
Episode 68 - Why's This Plant Screaming At Me?
Episode 69 - This Is So Cool
Episode 70 - There's Lava On The Ceiling
Episode 71 - I'm Sorry, Artix
Episode 72 - You Didn't Accomplish Much
Episode 73 - Frogs
Episode 74 - Water Is Nature's Puzzle
Episode 75 - This Is A Sting Operation
Episode 76 - A Learning LP
Episode 77 - Deja Vu
Episode 78 - Pizza Is Not Passover Friendly
Episode 79 - Bug Hunting
Episode 80 - Mom's Spaghetti
Episode 81 - Happy Fun Slide
Episode 82 - Fae Fights A Wizard
Episode 83 - Why He Scream?
Episode 84 - Losing Time]

:siren:FINAL EPISODE:siren:
Episode 85 - Victory Lap

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Fanart And Other Works!

Shiny777 posted:

A dark lord far, far more evil than Ganondorf ever was.

SystemLogoff posted:

Poor Deku link.

(Dog from above)

Morroque posted:

This LP's #selfie game is en pointe.

Pyroi posted:

Zora is the coolest transformation, as evidenced by this undoctored image.

ZeeToo posted:

Yeah, "Hatsune Mikau" amused me a lot, too.

I spent a couple minutes on Google and couldn't find any existing art of it.

So I got an artist friend to draw it.

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 7, 2017

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Take a good long look at that spoiler policy, folks. We're in full zero-tolerance mode after the last go-around, and both Argate and myself will be watching this thread like a hawk. We have an agreement with Fedule to keep an eye on things, so don't make us enforce it. :toughguy:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Please don't be stupid folks, for the good of everyone involved.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Nobody needs to be hit with an N64. Those things are chufty. I think we can all agree that it's a good idea to avoid it becoming YOUR TURN.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
All I'll say is that you'll enjoy the hell out of this game! I'm looking forward to this run~

Edit: Holy poo poo fix your smoke detector!

Zain fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 4, 2016

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Artix posted:

Take a good long look at that spoiler policy, folks. We're in full zero-tolerance mode after the last go-around, and both Argate and myself will be watching this thread like a hawk. We have an agreement with Fedule to keep an eye on things, so don't make us enforce it. :toughguy:

Well I've never played this game before so you don't have to worry about me :colbert:

The next poster though is a real rear end in a top hat, so you watch out for that.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Cathode Raymond posted:

Well I've never played this game before so you don't have to worry about me :colbert:

The next poster though is a real rear end in a top hat, so you watch out for that.

[probation queued for mod sass]

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Zain posted:

Edit: Holy poo poo fix your smoke detector!

I fixed it the day immediately after we recorded the first session, don't worry!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

I fixed it the day immediately after we recorded the first session, don't worry!

Good, that is killing me right now.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Gonna be the first to say this game is Through the Looking Glass to OoT's Alice in Wonderland. You'll see familiar faces in entirely different roles, everything is just a little bit out of place. This is one of the few games I've seen where re-using assets works to its benefit (most of the others have "Metal Slug" in the title).

This game does a lot with mood, the intro especially does a fantastic job establishing it and we'll probably never see another Zelda this atmospheric from start to finish again.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I genuinely love this game, but my first experience was on Project 64, which does not share my opinion of it. And the 3DS version of it blew me out of the water. I'm so glad I'm getting in on the ground floor this time around.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm so happy I got in on the ground floor of this!

I'm like Artix, Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda game, one of my favorite games in general and I know way way too much about it.

Edit: Jesus Christ, I just reread the spoiler policy. What the gently caress happened to force that issue?

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 4, 2016

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Actually! One thing if I can say Faerie is if you do have a 3DS get and play Majora's Mask for it right after this LP.

If we're going on about our love for Majora's Mask it is and still remains one of my favorite Zelda games and especially the 3D zelda games. So much so that I got the Majora's Mask New 3DS and the Majora's Mask 3DS bundle the moment it was announced. Also the Majora's Mask Pin from pre-ordering PROJECT S.T.E.A.M. Yes I have a problem.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How far are you gonna go? Are you going to fill out the quest log and get all the heart pieces? It's not a spoiler to say you can skip fishing because it doesn't contribute to anything and didn't exist in the original.

edit: [the concept of "hair trigger spoiler policy" means nothing to me]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 4, 2016

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
We're going to finish the Bomber's Notebook and pick up whatever heart pieces we stumble on out in the field. No promises with 100% or anything, because there's 52 goddamn pieces of heart and that's a lot of dumb minigames and poo poo.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Artix posted:

We're going to finish the Bomber's Notebook and pick up whatever heart pieces we stumble on out in the field. No promises with 100% or anything, because there's 52 goddamn pieces of heart and that's a lot of dumb minigames and poo poo.

Dumb minigames? I don't know what game you're playing but Majora's Mask has only THE BEST minigames. :colbert:

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

47 minutes for the first wink wink nudge nudge. Jesus loving christ. Our lowest guess was 12 hours. Good job goddamnit, gesicht.

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 4, 2016

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Some Numbers posted:

Edit: Jesus Christ, I just reread the spoiler policy. What the gently caress happened to force that issue?

liquidypoo posted:

47 minutes for the first wink wink nudge nudge. Jesus loving christ. Our lowest guess was 12 hours.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I'm pretty excited for this. It's easily my favorite Zelda game and I think you're gonna have a lot of fun with it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I always drop Ocarina when I fail to catch a drat ten-pounder. Really, the minigames in Majora can be difficult but I somehow managed to master the game twice. There's no absurd grinding for figurines nor do you have to score a perfect game of softball.

DeusExIgnis
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, yessss. I've been waiting for this for a very, very long time! Hope you enjoy the most convoluted Zelda game to date! :allears:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The distance you can fly as a Deku is indeed forward motion, not radial. Flying backwards cancels the loss of stability from flying forward, and likewise, if you fly backward far enough that you lose stability, you can recover by flying forward. You can actually cover quite a lot of distance given sufficient height, by turning yourself around mid-flight so that you're flying backward but moving in your original direction of travel. There aren't many places in the game where that's possible, though, and fewer where it's of any practical use.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Nidoking posted:

The distance you can fly as a Deku is indeed forward motion, not radial. Flying backwards cancels the loss of stability from flying forward, and likewise, if you fly backward far enough that you lose stability, you can recover by flying forward. You can actually cover quite a lot of distance given sufficient height, by turning yourself around mid-flight so that you're flying backward but moving in your original direction of travel. There aren't many places in the game where that's possible, though, and fewer where it's of any practical use.

Huh, didn't know that. I always figured it was radial. Now I need to test this out.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How far are you gonna go? Are you going to fill out the quest log and get all the heart pieces? It's not a spoiler to say you can skip fishing because it doesn't contribute to anything and didn't exist in the original.

edit: [the concept of "hair trigger spoiler policy" means nothing to me]

...skip...fishing? You DID see Ocarina of Time, right?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Pyroi posted:

...skip...fishing? You DID see Ocarina of Time, right?

There is no fishing in Majora's Mask N64. It literally does not exist in the game. :ssh:

Griptape
Feb 22, 2013
Adding it back in for the 3D remake was enough on its own to launch it to "best remake" status.

EDIT: Removed spoiler. Apologies!

Griptape fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 4, 2016

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Aaaand we got the 2nd spoiler for this thread. Going well!

Piebald Hell
Apr 22, 2008
christ in a hat everything is a spoiler. Also +1 for favorite Zelda aww yesss.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Artix posted:

There is no fishing in Majora's Mask N64. It literally does not exist in the game. :ssh:

Wait, there isn't?

Worst game 0/10

Griptape
Feb 22, 2013
So I'm a dumbass and I thought that particular plot point came up way earlier than it actually does. Whoops.

Anyway, this is the Best loving Zelda game with the Best loving Atmosphere and the Best loving Sidequests and I'm really looking forward to seeing what Fae thinks of it.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Yay this is happening! I am looking forward to experiencing another Zelda game for the first time with you Fae. I really feel it is the best way to see them for the first time if you can't play them yourself.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
This is a good, if dark game. I hope you enjoy your playthrough!

oh poo poo is saying its a good game a spoiler too???

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Guys, the spoiler policy is the exact same one that every other blind LP on the forum has ever had, just spelled out more clearly so people know exactly what constitutes a spoiler, and a little more aggressive because we knew people would try to skirt around it from the get-go. This isn't my first rodeo, I know what people are like when it comes to popular and well-loved games like this.

If you absolutely can't engage in this thread without breaking our (very clear) spoiler policy there are plenty of other non-blind LPs you can post in. I am sharing this fun, blind experience with you and all I'm asking in return is that you don't ruin it for me. If that proves to be too much for you then maybe consider that this thread isn't for you.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
This is a very good game, the LPer is good, and I hope Fae ends up liking the game as much as many other people (including me!) do. All that said, ChaosArgate, I'm glad you fixed your smoke detector, because dear loving god.

As for the elephant in the room: if something hasn't explicitly appeared in a video, just don't post it. It's not hard!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mask Salesman's choppy motion pretty much has to be intentional; it's not like they can't animate movement. I really like the effect, it's creepy as gently caress

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Faerie Fortune posted:

Guys, the spoiler policy is the exact same one that every other blind LP on the forum has ever had, just spelled out more clearly so people know exactly what constitutes a spoiler, and a little more aggressive because we knew people would try to skirt around it from the get-go. This isn't my first rodeo, I know what people are like when it comes to popular and well-loved games like this.

If you absolutely can't engage in this thread without breaking our (very clear) spoiler policy there are plenty of other non-blind LPs you can post in. I am sharing this fun, blind experience with you and all I'm asking in return is that you don't ruin it for me. If that proves to be too much for you then maybe consider that this thread isn't for you.

Same but I'm not asking.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

The reason why Majora's Mask was so great was that 1) they had a prior game to establish all the traditional zelda stuff 2) Were given free range to do their own thing for this game, so basically this is what a sequel should be. Wish that Miyamoto would just let other studios do their own thing. Like trust your teams to produce something amazing without you!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I thought Epona was too young to ride in Young Link's time or does this take place a year afterwards?

EDIT: A big improvement in Majora 3D over Ocarina 3D, the one map occupies the bottom screen instead of having a map on both screens for some reason. You can also drag and drop items smoothly unlike Ocarina 3D.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I thought Epona was too young to ride in Young Link's time or does this take place a year afterwards?
I don't think they give a concrete number to the time skip? Could be a year or two