Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

PhazonLink posted:

The Gamecube controller seems to have extremely polarizing opinions for some reason.

I was never a fan of "Large A button, Tiny B button, throw X and Y somewhere in there" compared to the layout of the Xbox or PS2 controllers, but all of them are better than the N64 controller. I have a hard time playing games as much, or as well, as I used to because the ergonomics are just too weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I was never a fan of "Large A button, Tiny B button, throw X and Y somewhere in there" compared to the layout of the Xbox or PS2 controllers, but all of them are better than the N64 controller. I have a hard time playing games as much, or as well, as I used to because the ergonomics are just too weird.

Yeah, I also generally prefer the same sized face buttons of the SNES/PS/Xbox/DS school of controllers, but the feel of the Gamecube controller is really nice.

I just hope that the NX has a normal controller again, because Nintendo's normal controllers are really nice, even the classic pro controller for the Wii.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
The Happy Mask Salesman's creepy teleporting between poses is absolutely intentional. If I recall correctly, the engine that OoT/MM is made in (a heavily modified Mario 64 engine) does animation blending automatically, which was specifically disabled for the salesman.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The non-animation between poses has been done before - a few examples I can think of include Hexadecimal from Reboot, the Weeping Angels from Doctor Who, and the father from Strangers With Candy. It tends to make a character seem creepier when you don't see them move.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I can't stand the N64 or GameCube controllers. Way too many buttons. Hell, it took me like a month after getting Super Mario 64 to realize there was a Z button.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

KieranWalker posted:

I do know a pretty good retro gaming outlet that sells refurbished games and hardware if you're ever in the market, although I don't know if they do shipping to the UK.

Also, just for the sake of highlighting the differences between the N64 and the PSone, I wanted to link this comparison video of Mega Man Legends. Especially in the cutscenes, you can see how much smoother the N64 version looks and plays, despite the muddy textures and garbage sound quality.

They didn't alter any textures for the N64 version, they just rendered those same textures with really bad anti-aliasing.

In other words, that muddy look is intended. It's a feature.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Deku are the best race in Zelda. Those loving chicken people from Twilight Princess are the worst.

I think it's really stupid that some fans are so eager for every game to fit in some over-arching timeline, even though they admit that 9 times out of 10 the story in a Zelda game is "meh". I wish the connections between games were more thematic, since they tend to choke creativity. For some reason Wind Waker is set as a distant sequel to Ocarina, and the Zora people in Ocarina who would have no trouble living in the Great Sea of Wind Waker... have now evolved into a race of Bird-people.

One day Zelda will get with the times and give us a fully customizable Link/Linkle.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Hell, Gesicht, I'd settle for a story that didn't devolve into "Zelda is kidnapped/otherwise put in danger; Link spends 1/2 to 3/4 of game attempting to rescue her." I think Majora's Mask is actually the last one Nintendo made that doesn't do this.

Or you know, flip the stereotype, have Zelda be the one who's saving the kingdom instead. That would be a nice change of pace.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

KieranWalker posted:

Hell, Gesicht, I'd settle for a story that didn't devolve into "Zelda is kidnapped/otherwise put in danger; Link spends 1/2 to 3/4 of game attempting to rescue her." I think Majora's Mask is actually the last one Nintendo made that doesn't do this.

Or you know, flip the stereotype, have Zelda be the one who's saving the kingdom instead. That would be a nice change of pace.

One of the main series games doesn't really play saving zelda as the main point, and another is very much not about zelda needing to be saved for the majority of the game. This isn't counting handhelds that don't have a Zelda.

I'd specify which and how, but spoiler free zone. (that said I mean I'd also be all for playing as zelda and female link. Please give me the Female link only game no male option)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

As much as I want change, I'm not holding out for Zelda to get a little more progressive. Too bad Zelda won't be this badass again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M859Lp5_e8

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Zain posted:

I think this was the first and only Zelda game I've 100%ed. It was just compelling enough to 100%.
I think this and Vice City are the only two games I've ever 100%ed.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

As much as I want change, I'm not holding out for Zelda to get a little more progressive. Too bad Zelda won't be this badass again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M859Lp5_e8

Hyrule warriors does have her slaughtering thousands of monsters and basically kicking ganon in the dick.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Hyrule Warriors was also not developed by Nintendo.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
All right, this is finally starting. I remember I watched a different LP of this game while Fae's OoT was still going on and just thinking to myself that I couldn't wait to hear her react to the things that happen in this game. I could hear her calling enemies rude in my head, now I get to hear it for real.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

KieranWalker posted:

Hyrule Warriors was also not developed by Nintendo.

True, but Miyamoto did take a noted interest in its development. An amusing note I recall is that they wanted to make it closer to zelda games with dungeons and such, and he basically went 'What? Are you dumb? Make a warriors game. It'll work'

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Drakenel posted:

True, but Miyamoto did take a noted interest in its development. An amusing note I recall is that they wanted to make it closer to zelda games with dungeons and such, and he basically went 'What? Are you dumb? Make a warriors game. It'll work'

Now I'm wondering how it woulda been with dungeon crawling and all that.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
All I want to know is what emotion Faerie Fortune thinks the moon is expressing.

Also, if I wasn't poo poo at photo editing, I'd put Emil's face up there instead of the Majora's Mask moon as fan art.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

A dark lord far, far more evil than Ganondorf ever was.

Shiny777 fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jun 6, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

That's not how I've been pronouncing Drakengard. gently caress. :saddowns:

Excited to see this finally starting, though! I'm largely blind myself, so I'm interested to see how it goes.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Shiny777 posted:

This is unsettling as gently caress.

By the way, Fae, are you going to use that guest commentator spreadsheet that you made when you were playing OoT?

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Ah, I knew that would come up eventually.

OoT only had one permanent co-commentator. That was only two schedules and two timezones to work with between me and ChaosArgate. Adding guests was occasionally a logistical nightmare due to timezones and on more than a few occasions at least one of us would either have to stay up late, or get up early.

Majora's Mask has three permanent co-commentators. Still two timezones thank gently caress, but now we have to consistently work with three different schedules of three people who each have at least one project other than this one going on. Unfortunately, using the guest spreadsheet would be frustrating as hell and probably lead to delayed episodes while we wait for everyone's schedules to line up. It was a tough decision to make but we decided that for the sake of getting poo poo actually done it would be better just to work between the three of us.

That doesn't mean there won't be guests at all, I have a few people already lined up for certain things, and there's bound to be exploration videos and bonus minigames I can pull from the spreadsheet for but I have to let you guys down on this one, sorry :smith:

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Faerie Fortune posted:

Ah, I knew that would come up eventually.

OoT only had one permanent co-commentator. That was only two schedules and two timezones to work with between me and ChaosArgate. Adding guests was occasionally a logistical nightmare due to timezones and on more than a few occasions at least one of us would either have to stay up late, or get up early.

Majora's Mask has three permanent co-commentators. Still two timezones thank gently caress, but now we have to consistently work with three different schedules of three people who each have at least one project other than this one going on. Unfortunately, using the guest spreadsheet would be frustrating as hell and probably lead to delayed episodes while we wait for everyone's schedules to line up. It was a tough decision to make but we decided that for the sake of getting poo poo actually done it would be better just to work between the three of us.

That doesn't mean there won't be guests at all, I have a few people already lined up for certain things, and there's bound to be exploration videos and bonus minigames I can pull from the spreadsheet for but I have to let you guys down on this one, sorry :smith:

That's okay, nobody likes my garbage jokes anyways!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Shiny777 posted:

This is creepier than the real moon ingame.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

That's okay. :3: Just making sure if you were or not.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Shiny777 posted:

Rude, Emil is far more nicer than anyone here. A nice boy.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Completely understandable, I have enough problems coordinating three people in the same timezone, so I can imagine coordinating schedules across the Atlantic is an incredible headache.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

InfinityComplex posted:

Rude, Emil is far more nicer than anyone here. A nice boy.

Oh, Emil, sure. Taro Yoko, however...

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Shei-kun posted:

All I want to know is what emotion Faerie Fortune thinks the moon is expressing.

Also, if I wasn't poo poo at photo editing, I'd put Emil's face up there instead of the Majora's Mask moon as fan art.

He's clearly really happy and excited to be invited over for once in his life. Like just look at that face in the opening and tell me that's not the face of;
"Omg! Hi skullkid! Oh my gosh, this is what Earth is like! I can't believe I finally got to come visit!"

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!
This game burned me out by the end of the third dungeon. Though, that could have just been all the crashing on the GC port that would kill my drat progress. Still, this is by far the best Zelda in terms of character writing and art direction. It's amazing that despite being on the same engine, it feels as different to OoT as Zelda II is to LoZ. I've been looking forward to this LP for a while, I'm excited to see Fae find unconventional ways to beat poo poo that will confound her cocommentators.

And after reading the posts itt, it's safe to assume the 3DS remake is worth picking up? Like, no way in hell am I going back to the port or playing it on an N64.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I found that the game was exceptionally smooth both on Project 64 and on the Virtual Console.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I can't stand the N64 or GameCube controllers. Way too many buttons. Hell, it took me like a month after getting Super Mario 64 to realize there was a Z button.

I wish the Gamecube controller had a couple more so I could use it to play PS2 games.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Krampus Grewcock posted:

And after reading the posts itt, it's safe to assume the 3DS remake is worth picking up? Like, no way in hell am I going back to the port or playing it on an N64.

Personally, I swear by the Virtual Console release, but that's because MM 3D changes a ton of stuff and I mostly dislike the changes (I'll point them out as we come across them in the LP). That said, I'm fully aware that I have a minority opinion and if you have access to it, the 3DS version is generally considered to be the way to go.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

Artix posted:

Personally, I swear by the Virtual Console release, but that's because MM 3D changes a ton of stuff and I mostly dislike the changes (I'll point them out as we come across them in the LP). That said, I'm fully aware that I have a minority opinion and if you have access to it, the 3DS version is generally considered to be the way to go.

drat, yet another reason to regret selling off my Wii. Thanks for the input, I'll probably pick it up when the LP gets to where I stopped playing.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Krampus Grewcock posted:

drat, yet another reason to regret selling off my Wii.

Do you have a Wii U? You can access the old Wii Shop Channel through that. Failing that, the 3DS version is still a really good experience and if you're keeping up with this LP, you'll get to experience the original version through us!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Krampus Grewcock posted:

This game burned me out by the end of the third dungeon. Though, that could have just been all the crashing on the GC port that would kill my drat progress. Still, this is by far the best Zelda in terms of character writing and art direction. It's amazing that despite being on the same engine, it feels as different to OoT as Zelda II is to LoZ. I've been looking forward to this LP for a while, I'm excited to see Fae find unconventional ways to beat poo poo that will confound her cocommentators.

The 3DS version is really, really good. It looks nice, it's polished, and the gyro aiming is a godsend.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I can understand disliking some of the 3D changes, but overall they simply made the game more accessible without really making it easier, at least if you choose to ignore the handholding guides. The boss fights are technically made more difficult, although you could argue whether that difficulty is artifical.

Plus Grezzo added some pretty silly glitches so that's always fun

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Artix posted:

Considering your opinions on MM, I'm going to assume you dislike the same changes I dislike.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

MM3D is definitely a mixed bag

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Finally sat down and watched the video and I'm creeped out already.

I never played much of MM before, but I don't remember anything other than the very obvious. It was my first time playing a Zelda game as well, and the time limit mechanic turned me off instantly. I'm excited to see where this goes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:siren:Its Update Time!:siren:

Episode 2 - Dog Wants My Bones