Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
That day transition is pretty drat cool, too bad about PJ64 being garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

I'm basically going into this blind as well, and my anticipation is building as I see the one thing I do know about the game approaching. It's going to be fantastic hearing what you think of it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

tiistai posted:

That day transition is pretty drat cool, too bad about PJ64 being garbage.

That's ok because we got it working starting with the next session!

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Majora's Mask is actually Tingle's debut game. North Clock Town is the first place he has ever appeared. :eng101:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I remember not long after Ocarina came out, a website found "beta" pics from that game and posted it. The one that stuck out the most was Tingle and the clock at the bottom of the screen. I can't remember any others, but now I assume they were all just pics from this game.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The one thing I really want in life right now is a real wall clock that looks like the Majora's Mask clocks. Does that exist? Could that exist? They move so strangely.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

YggiDee posted:

The one thing I really want in life right now is a real wall clock that looks like the Majora's Mask clocks. Does that exist? Could that exist? They move so strangely.

Sure, just write the numbers on the outer ring but do so counterclockwise. That way as the ring moves clockwise, it "drags" the numbers past that top arrow, telling you the time. I have no idea how you'd make it work at the speed of the in-game clocks, but in real life the ring would have to move at the same speed as an egg timer.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I remember not long after Ocarina came out, a website found "beta" pics from that game and posted it. The one that stuck out the most was Tingle and the clock at the bottom of the screen. I can't remember any others, but now I assume they were all just pics from this game.

I remember being so fascinated by the clock on the bottom of the screen when I first saw screenshots for this in Nintendo Power when I was but a wee lad. It's such a unique UI element that I've never really seen successfully duplicated so well.

Also, ChaosArgate, your smoke detector is still going off in this video, right? Because I just changed the one in my family room yesterday, and then I heard the beeping again and I swear I started twitching.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
With everyone talking about that there are differences between Majora's Mask VC and Majora's Mask 3DS... I'm just kinda sitting here going

They're both great in their own rights.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Rogue 7 posted:

Also, ChaosArgate, your smoke detector is still going off in this video, right? Because I just changed the one in my family room yesterday, and then I heard the beeping again and I swear I started twitching.

I'm sorry! This goes on for another two episodes and we were out of 9V batteries that day! Also you'd think that taking the battery out of a smoke detector and unplugging it would do something about the constant beeping, but nope.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

ChaosArgate posted:

Also you'd think that taking the battery out of a smoke detector and unplugging it would do something about the constant beeping, but nope.
From experience I can say that dropping it off the second floor balcony onto tile does something about the beeping.:downs:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > Let's Help ChaosArgate Get His poo poo Together and Play Majora's Mask

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 7, 2016

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm sorry! This goes on for another two episodes and we were out of 9V batteries that day! Also you'd think that taking the battery out of a smoke detector and unplugging it would do something about the constant beeping, but nope.

Throw it into a bucket of water, or a furnace.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012

Nidoking posted:

The non-animation between poses has been done before - a few examples I can think of include Hexadecimal from Reboot, the Weeping Angels from Doctor Who, and the father from Strangers With Candy. It tends to make a character seem creepier when you don't see them move.
Yeah, anything that can move that fast is inevitably capable of killing you before you have any chance to react, the lizard part of your brain knows that if you're seeing something move that fast, you are WAY too close and in imminent mortal danger.

KieranWalker posted:

Hyrule Warriors was also not developed by Nintendo.
Considering Wand of Gamelon and all the other CDi games weren't developed by Nintendo...that's still a technically correct statement, I guess.

Longhouse
Nov 8, 2010

Chill out, dog
Oh, this is excellent, Faerie Fortune :dance:

By the way, a few days back I found this rather lovely piano arrangement of the Clock Town theme: https://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DKZRnNGKbFdA
I think I prefer it to the original to be honest. Very chill :)

Longhouse fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 8, 2016

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Longhouse posted:

Oh, this is excellent, Faerie Fortune :dance:

By the way, a few days back I found this rather lovely piano arrangement of the Clock Town theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZRnNGKbFdA
I think I prefer it to the original to be honest. Very chill :)

This is a really nice rendition of Clock Town! I like it! Though, in the interest of spoilers, can I ask that future video links be posted via Polsy? That goes for everyone!

Longhouse
Nov 8, 2010

Chill out, dog

ChaosArgate posted:

This is a really nice rendition of Clock Town! I like it! Though, in the interest of spoilers, can I ask that future video links be posted via Polsy? That goes for everyone!
Whoops! Done and done :)

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Do Deku people even have bones? When they get hurt do they go to the tree doctor?

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012

Neurion posted:

Do Deku people even have bones? When they get hurt do they go to the tree doctor?

They just have to cut some non-sapient grass...unless...oh crap, are all the grasses in the Zelda games baby dekus? Is that where the hearts come from?!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Neurion posted:

Don't ask me, I'm stumped.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Neurion posted:

They go to Arbor Drugs. They don't get Band-Aids though, they get Chloroplasters.

Yeah I'm old and its CVS now but since when does logic get in the way?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Faylone posted:

They just have to cut some non-sapient grass...unless...oh crap, are all the grasses in the Zelda games baby dekus? Is that where the hearts come from?!
Don't be such a sap about this.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Faylone posted:

Well, in every Zelda game you start with tree hearts...

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
I gotta say, the time mechanic in this game was never that stressful, but it stresses me out watching someone else play it. Not a dig on Fae, just saying. So glad you guys started this though.

PS look up the commercial for this game, weird stuff.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Aithon posted:

Well, in every Zelda game you start with tree hearts...

I know it's a joke but it made me think of something I genuinely don't like about this game.

52 heart pieces is way too many. This exact Link has already had an adventure and in the interest of sanity, they should have started him with something six, like in Skyward Sword.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
This is going to be so interesting, since I've never seen someone play this blind. Closest I've gotten was when me and my twin brother copiloted through this game way back then. And it's been so long too since I played this that I remember the big things, but the smaller things have just blurred together. Like the fact how unsettling Tingles face is. :stare:

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

YggiDee posted:

Like the clock town clock or the UI clock? The clocktown clock has the cooler background, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way of recreating it with a standard quartz clock mechanism.

You'd need a mechanism with both a stepped hour hand and minute hand, which I have never seen for a wall clock. A flip clock mechanism, would work perfectly but would need a lot of mechanical adaptation. Hmmm...

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 9, 2016

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.

i81icu812 posted:

Like the clock town clock or the UI clock? The clocktown clock has the cooler background, but there doesn't seem to be any way of telling time from it.

Actually there is!

The outer ring moves for each minute and has the same amount of markings for minutes as a normal clock with indicators for each 15 minutes. The inside of the clock has the hour marks which rotates slowly. Then on the 6 mark on the hour face the small circle with the sun or moon is to display if it's day or night much like AM/PM, this changes at 6am (day) and 6pm (night). The clock's hands are replaced by a single arrow at the top and whatever minute and hour line up with it would tell the time. Basically the clock face moves rather than the hands and AM/PM is split at the 6s rather then the 12s.

It's odd but it totally works as a real 24 hour clock. If you look at the second video where the cutscene plays upon entering Clock town you can see the clock displaying 6:00am before it starts to tick away.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

evilspacehopper posted:

Actually there is!

The outer ring moves for each minute and has the same amount of markings for minutes as a normal clock with indicators for each 15 minutes. The inside of the clock has the hour marks which rotates slowly. Then on the 6 mark on the hour face the small circle with the sun or moon is to display if it's day or night much like AM/PM, this changes at 6am (day) and 6pm (night). The clock's hands are replaced by a single arrow at the top and whatever minute and hour line up with it would tell the time. Basically the clock face moves rather than the hands and AM/PM is split at the 6s rather then the 12s.

It's odd but it totally works as a real 24 hour clock. If you look at the second video where the cutscene plays upon entering Clock town you can see the clock displaying 6:00am before it starts to tick away.

Not quite!

Looking at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90x0EQqrkls it appears the clock town clock is a 12 hour clock and not a 24 hour clock. Also, the central hour indicator does not move slowly but rather moves once per hour.

The bigger problem remains finding a mechanism that has a stepped hour and minute hands. If you don't care about replicating the stepped hour/minute behavior it should be completely doable. If you do, an arduinio and a motor might be the best option.

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 10, 2016

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

JT Jag posted:

Don't be such a sap about this.

Please leaf :colbert:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

i81icu812 posted:

Not quite!

Looking at this video: *snip* it appears the clock town clock is a 12 hour clock and not a 24 hour clock. Also, the central hour indicator does not move slowly but rather moves once per hour.

The bigger problem remains finding a mechanism that has a stepped hour and minute hands. If you don't care about replicating the stepped hour/minute behavior it should be completely doable. If you do, an arduinio and a motor might be the best option.

Faerie Fortune don't watch this because it does show the sword and some items from endgame on the C-Buttons!

FPzero fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 10, 2016

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

FPzero posted:

Faerie Fortune don't watch this because it does show the sword and some items from endgame on the C-Buttons!

OOps.

Yeah, don't watch that, let me know if you want it removed.

This is the closest clock I've seen so far:

http://www.wayfair.com/Kikkerland-O...im6FhoCCwfw_wcB

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I'd say remove it to be safe.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Neurion posted:

Please leaf :colbert:

This derail is blooming.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

People posted:

CLOCKS

Aw, I was late on the draw. Well, one more neat thing is that not only can you actually read the in-game time off the clock tower in Majora's Mask, but any clock you see anywhere will tell you the current time. Every clock in the game is functional and synchronized with the clock on the HUD.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:siren:Update Time!:siren:

Episode 3 - Weird Kid Cult

I hope you like watching me struggle with simple tasks!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Faerie Fortune posted:

I hope you like watching me struggle with simple tasks!

We wouldn't be here if we didn't!

I love the astronomer's theme, it's one of the best the game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh man I almost missed this! I've been looking forward to this since OoT.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Loved your OoT LP, I've been looking forward to seeing you play this since. The best part of these videos so far is ChaosArgate getting increasingly concerned about the time while you are enjoying the scenery and playing around. It's everything I wanted from this LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Oh man, is the game almost over already? I forgot how fast this Zelda is.