Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012

Geemer posted:

I love the astronomer's theme, it's one of the best the game.
Very much so, and I wish I could link the version by the Majora Philharmonic Sound Orchestra, but unfortunately the only video I can find has some images that still are a bit spoilery. Anybody besides Fae interested in hearing the observatory theme sound even better, go look it up! "Majora Philharmonic Sound Orchestra" and "Astral Observatory" together should find it..

Also, plant puns aside, those moving grass patches? Baby deku scrubs, man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I never knew the kids could be stunned with bubbles or Deku Nuts, or even that they would stop and taunt you if I stopped chasing them. I didn't bother to use either of the literally two abilities I had even though they were giving me a hard time. :argh:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
It's super super interesting watching Fae find her way through Clock Town, because Clock Town's map is ingrained into my brain to an instinctual level and I have to remind myself that she's literally never been there before.

Aithon posted:

I never knew the kids could be stunned with bubbles or Deku Nuts, or even that they would stop and taunt you if I stopped chasing them.

I too did not know any of this.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Add me to that list of people. I knew they would stop and taunt you but never that you could take advantage of that fact. My strategy was to always try and lead them into a corner and rely on their weird pathfinding to run into me.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
The water hopping is honestly my favorite part about Deku Link, and I remember spending a lot of time just hopping around in different areas as a kid when I first played the game on the N64.

Some Numbers posted:

It's super super interesting watching Fae find her way through Clock Town, because Clock Town's map is ingrained into my brain to an instinctual level

This made me realize just how many video game maps are like this to me (Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, WoW, etc.) and yet I need to open up Google Maps if I want to go anywhere further than a 5 minute drive away from where I live.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Spoggerific posted:

This made me realize just how many video game maps are like this to me (Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, WoW, etc.) and yet I need to open up Google Maps if I want to go anywhere further than a 5 minute drive away from where I live.

This is pretty much me too. Everyone asks me if there's things nearby and I'm like "I only know my work..."

Edit: Wii is a good commentator. Smoke Detector has too much to say.

Edit2: I don't think the kids are racist. They just don't want no scrubs. A scrub is a guy that just can't get no love from them.

Zain fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 10, 2016

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Spoggerific posted:

This is obviously because you can drive through Clock Town in less than 5 minutes (if Link had a car).

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Zain posted:

Edit2: I don't think the kids are racist. They just don't want no scrubs. A scrub is a guy that just can't get no love from them.

They literally say verbatim "We could let you in if you were a human but..." :shrug:

Also it blows my mind how many people didn't know you could stun the kids. Like Aithon said, Deku Link has two moves and you never once tried either of them?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I also have a terrible sense of direction, and I think I actually remember having trouble navigating Clock Town at some point as a kid. It was pretty amusing to find myself thinking "no not that way what are you doing Fae... oh right she's been in Clock Town for 10 minutes and has no idea where anything is" and realizing just how ingrained Clock Town is in my brain now despite not playing Majora's Mask in years.

Didn't know that you could stun the kids either, I think I always just spun into them.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Artix posted:

Also it blows my mind how many people didn't know you could stun the kids. Like Aithon said, Deku Link has two moves and you never once tried either of them?

I was way too absorbed by the thrill of the chase while mashing (and missing with) the spin attack.

Termina food chain: dogs hunt Deku scrubs hunt children.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Artix posted:

They literally say verbatim "We could let you in if you were a human but..." :shrug:

I know, I just wanted an excuse to quote the TLC song no scrubs.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Artix posted:

Technically, they're speciesist.

quote:

I always used the spin attack to nab them.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm not sure that I've ever actually bought maps in this game, now that I think about it

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

I have two things to say. 1: HOW DARE YOU ATTACK THAT FROG HE IS A FRIEND. 2: I really like how the first two sets of shrubs you can find do that weird running away thing. It really sells Termina being weird as poo poo compared to Hyrule in a way that isn't super in your face.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
When you know what to do in the intro it seems like time drags on. It's definitely a low point. But it's cool to see this part through fresh eyes. Nintendo did a great job at making you feel disoriented and lost. They give you a tiny bit of control as normal Link and just as you're starting to think this is gonna be a standard adventure with Link, BAM! you're a Deku Scrub. Then you get tossed into a completely different world with different rules, with a twirl as your only defense against any threats and to top it off, you've got a time limit. It really gives you a taste of what Link is going through.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
The idea of using Deku nuts on the kids never occurred to me until they told me I wasn't allowed to do that in MM3D. I'm not sure why they did that since it makes them almost entirely useless in the first cycle.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
You know, I made a comparison with Fae and ChaosArgate being Pikmin and Olimar last thread. Now that Link is literally a plant, it's all the more apt now.

Valgaav fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 11, 2016

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

With Deku Link using Deku Nuts... Is that like a Chicken throwing its own eggs?

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
To be fair, the kids said that the last time they allowed a non-human kid into their group, it ended very badly. (Two guesses as to who that could've been.)

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Here's a minor remix of the observatory theme; it's really good.

This game has a fantastic soundtrack.

E: Actually, the title of the second link I posted is an incredibly minor spoiler, but technically a spoiler nonetheless. Gonna remove it and repost it when, well, it isn't a spoiler.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 11, 2016

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Zain posted:

With Deku Link using Deku Nuts... Is that like a Chicken throwing its own eggs?

Wood Yoshi.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Aithon posted:

Wood Yoshi.

Hmmm that's too good of an analogy. They're both kinda adorable and make cute noises.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Holy crap this LP is making me incredibly nervous. Whenever I play through it I know where to go and when I don't have much time left I don't stray from the path.

Every time Fae stops to look at something (frog, slide, skulltula), I'm thinking: "please keep going you're gonna run out of time if you keep dawdling". I mean it all works out in the end but it's really making me nervous for some reason.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It's that ingrained "poo poo poo poo poo poo there's a time limit poo poo poo poo poo poo gotta go fast balls balls balls hurry up you short legged elf" habit that this game does a great job of breaking.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Artix posted:

Coming from Ocarina I don't think many people expect you can use offensive abilities on non-hostile NPCs. I sure as hell didn't know you could use these abilities on them, and wish I'd known that when I was a kid.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I think the main reason no one tried the other two things (I certainly never did) is because Deku Link has THREE abilities, and the one everyone uses (the speedy spin attack) seems like the most useful one for catching kids. They're going fast, so you just gotta out-fast them, right?

Besides, I would've thought shooting kids would get you arrested, rather than help any.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

gnome7 posted:

I think the main reason no one tried the other two things (I certainly never did) is because Deku Link has THREE abilities, and the one everyone uses (the speedy spin attack) seems like the most useful one for catching kids. They're going fast, so you just gotta out-fast them, right?
That was always my logic, yeah.

It's good to see this LP is turning out as educational about Deku Nuts as the OoT one did.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I already used deku nuts more in MM than in OOT, because they're quite nice as Deku Link's air strike.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

I already used deku nuts more in MM than in OOT, because they're quite nice as Deku Link's air strike.

Right, Deku Nuts were multifaceted in Majora's Mask. But honestly they were good in both games. Just people are like "It doesnt' damage so why should I use it" sort of mentality. In many Zelda games.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

This LP has been going on for a week and nobody told me WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

dublish posted:

Oh Faerie Fortune is doing a blind LP of Majora's Mask.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

dublish posted:

It was considered spoilers, and, well...

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

dublish posted:

And that, my friend, is why y'all should subscribe to the new LP announcement thread.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

Zain posted:

Oh Faerie Fortune is doing a blind LP of Majora's Mask.
Really? Cool! Thanks for telling me!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:siren:Update Time!:siren:

Episode 4 - A Selfie Gone Wrong

This game is unsettling as all hell and it absolutely nails its intended atmosphere I am in love.

Also good news, after the first session I got the opportunity to play with some settings and thanks to my good pal FPzero, fixed all the graphical and audio errors in project 64!

More good news also. I am happy to report that ChaosArgate did finally get his smoke detector fixed after this session, so it will no longer be guest starring in this LP!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
You found my favorite song in the game, even if you cut it off pretty quickly.

It is, rather appropriately, named Final Hours. It plays for the last 6 hours of the 3 day cycle, and it is loving amazing.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jun 14, 2016

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Majora's Mask is my favorite game of all time, and I'm excited to watch this LP unfold. Given how I was 6 when I first played MM and I fell in love with it almost instantly, I'm definitely interested to see how well Fae does compared to 6 year old me and how she reacts to the game overall.

Also the Happy Mask Salesman is amazing and I love the cutscene from this episode because of him. :allears:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Getting help from the Goddess of Time, huh?

Man, Link's gonna run up one hell of a bill by the end of this adventure. Especially since each subsequent use costs more and more...

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Yapping Eevee posted:

Man, Link's gonna run up one hell of a bill by the end of this adventure. Especially since each subsequent use costs more and more...

Why do you think he keeps losing all his poo poo when he goes back?

GeneX posted:

You found my favorite song in the game, even if you cut it off pretty quickly.

It is, rather appropriately, named Final Hours. It plays for the last 6 hours of the 3 day cycle, and it is loving amazing.

:hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I love the Clock Town music during the final day. It really hammers in that you're running out of time.

Also this is a great LP, and I really like to see a game as great as this played with fresh eyes, so to speak.