Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I thought Epona was too young to ride in Young Link's time or does this take place a year afterwards?

I think it's supposed to be around 1-2 years later, at least. Link's using the same model as in OoT, but he's noticeably taller (compare child Link w/Hylian Shield in OoT to Link w/Hero's Shield in MM). Epona is also visibly larger than she was in OoT; her back came up to Link's chin in OoT, but in MM her back is level with the top of Link's head.

Edit: One of the things MM does way better than OoT is the fairy helper. Navi was pretty much a non-entity in the plot beyond the opening cutscene. She's only there to give a voice to the game's help text. Tatl is actually a character in the story, and has a personality and character growth throughout the game. She and Link also actually interact with eachother occasionally (which lends Link some personality too). I've always loved that.

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Just how powerful was the N64 with the Expansion Pak compared to the PS1? I noticed in Majora over Ocarina that I never lost full-control of the camera.

I think the N64 could push more polygons, but its main limitation--once it's got an expansion pack installed--is cartridge space. Even way back then, you could fit a hell of a lot more on two CDs than you could a single cartridge, unless that cartridge was ludicrously expensive. I remember reading, for example, that Rockman & Forte was the largest & most expensive SFC cartridge ever produced--although I can't find the source of that information presently (aside from photos of the cartridge's PCB, which is almost double the size of the board from a MMX1 cartridge). The end result is things like FMV video files and sound bytes being compressed to hell in order to fit them on a single cartridge, which leads to sub-optimal ports (see RE2's N64 port).

The other problem is even if the N64 was technically capable of producing more sophisticated graphics than the PSone, its video output hardware is absolute garbage and you'd never be able to tell unless the console's been modified to output to HDMI or something (such modifications do exist and they've been demonstrated to dramatically increase the N64's visual fidelity).

You can also compare Mega Man Legends, another game that had both PSone and N64 versions. The N64 version has better looking polygonals and overall looks smoother, but environmental texture detail and sound quality took a huge nose dive.

Edit: I feel like I could expound upon the Legends thing a little more. Despite lower texture detail and sound quality, the N64 version has smoother polygons, better draw distance, much better texture mapping, and doesn't suffer from the PSone's lack of a z-buffer (the particular issue which makes 3D models on the PSone clip through themselves and eachother, and causes textures to warp all over the place when moving to/viewed from different angles). This article has more info on that last bit.

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 5, 2016

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Doc Morbid posted:

The port of RE2 may have lower-quality FMVs and audio, but the fact it even exists and has all that content in the first place is a minor miracle in itself, as that's a two-CD game crammed onto a single 64 MB cartridge in its entirety. Most N64 ports of PSX games didn't even attempt to do FMV and just replaced the videos with slideshows, so RE2 was pretty special when it came out.

One of the big problems on the N64 was the 4 KB limit on texture size, leading to all kinds of horribly stretched and/or low quality textures.

Yeah, I was actually just reading a Gamasutra article on that port, which goes into that compression thing in a lot more detail. It's good reading along with the PSone z-buffer thing I added to my previous post.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Artix posted:

The N64 in general was also better at flat out running games. With the expansion pack installed, it had 8 MB of RAM compared to the PS1's 2, a better processor, and a slightly better graphics processor. The PS1 could get away with a lot more because of the disc space (better textures, pre-rendered backgrounds, FMV, music) and a lot of that let it look better than it actually was, but once real gameplay started you were (usually) better off on the N64. There's a reason that until very late in its life-cycle, most of the best looking games used primarily pre-rendered backgrounds and only had the main character and NPCs/important objects actually be rendered (and you could pick them out from a mile away, see Resident Evil as an example).

Yeah. The PSone was really not a graphical powerhouse by any stretch of the imagination. Where it actually excelled was making huge, impressively animated 2D sprite-based games like Symphony of the Night, but by then Sony wanted everything in 3D, and developers had to threaten Sony with developing software exclusively for Sega to actually get a non-3D game on the Playstation at all.

The N64 had its share of flaws, but it was absolutely a more powerful console than the PSone by nearly every metric.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Faerie Fortune posted:

Makes me sad that I missed out on owning an n64 really, there are a lot of great games for it that I never got to play. Luckily my friends are willing to sit by and watch me catch up :p

I do know a pretty good retro gaming outlet that sells refurbished games and hardware if you're ever in the market, although I don't know if they do shipping to the UK.

Also, just for the sake of highlighting the differences between the N64 and the PSone, I wanted to link this comparison video of Mega Man Legends. Especially in the cutscenes, you can see how much smoother the N64 version looks and plays, despite the muddy textures and garbage sound quality.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hell, Gesicht, I'd settle for a story that didn't devolve into "Zelda is kidnapped/otherwise put in danger; Link spends 1/2 to 3/4 of game attempting to rescue her." I think Majora's Mask is actually the last one Nintendo made that doesn't do this.

Or you know, flip the stereotype, have Zelda be the one who's saving the kingdom instead. That would be a nice change of pace.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hyrule Warriors was also not developed by Nintendo.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

People posted:

CLOCKS

Aw, I was late on the draw. Well, one more neat thing is that not only can you actually read the in-game time off the clock tower in Majora's Mask, but any clock you see anywhere will tell you the current time. Every clock in the game is functional and synchronized with the clock on the HUD.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, which is also what Nintendo does with virtual console N64 titles on the Wii or Wii U. And it doesn't work as well in a lot of cases as you'd hope. Like it makes playing the ocarina in OoT and MM very awkward, though perhaps not as awkward as the 3DS versions... in which the note's position on the staff has absolutely no relation to the face button's position for whatever reason.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Geemer posted:

It's nearly a one-on-one match to the positions on the N64 controller, but rotated 90 degrees.

What?

Okay, the order of notes from lowest to highest in the N64 versions is A, CV, C>, C<, C^. That is basically how the face buttons on the controller are physically laid out in terms of height, so it's intuitive and makes sense.

The order of notes from lowest to highest in the 3DS versions is L, R, Y, X, A... which doesn't follow the layout of the N64 buttons even if you rotate it clockwise or counterclockwise. You're pushing the buttons in order from highest to lowest to play the notes in order of lowest to highest, which is the most counterintuitive thing they could have done with it. It almost makes sense to me if for some reason you wanted to hold the 3DS up to your face and push the touchscreen buttons like you were playing a real instrument, but that's the only thing I can really think of where the layout seems reasonable.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

It also makes the frog chorus in Ocarina much easier since the frogs line up to the 3DS buttons

I'll give you the frog chorus thing, though.

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 28, 2016

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
All my years playing this game, and I never thought to light that upper level torch with an arrow from the lower torch. God drat it.

Edit: Or that shot from the upper torch to the web. drat it! Nice job there, Fae. You are now teaching veteran Majora's Mask fans new things with your blind LP.

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 30, 2016

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Wow, that mask is even more bizarre in the 3DS version.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So, dare we ask what was broken?

The UFO thing was a pain, but at least you had infinite arrows in the wagon chase, so that's something.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Kilza posted:

I'm pretty sure when you get near the tower in the fortress Tatl goes "Hey, do you hear something?". They made the soldier's existence a lot more obvious in MM3D.

Yeah, Tatl actually points out that she can hear someone calling for help nearby.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The trick to jumping fences is you have to hit the boost button a second or two before you get to it. The speed boost isn't instant; you have to give Epona space to speed up, but the boost only lasts for 3 seconds or so, so you've gotta make sure you don't hit it too early, as well.

Edit: It's probably moot now, but you can maintain a constant fast speed if you continually hit the boost button (once) immediately after you regenerate a carrot.

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 25, 2017

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

E for actual content: I've never liked Horse in the N64 Zeldas. Hyrule Field in OoT is complete trash and I try to avoid it as much as possible, and by the time you get Horse in MM you have Goron which is a much better way to get around except for when you have to jump over walls (and even then MM has a really generous warp system). Plus the controls just never felt right to me.

She is more of a plot coupon than a useful in-game tool in MM, yeah. The only place you're required to use her ever is to get into the Great Bay area, which is actually less use than she got in OoT. At least that game had the big poe hunts and a long, drawn-out fetch quest that required you to use Epona to get from one end of the game map to the other in under 3 minutes. Twice.

So yeah, all in all, Epona is not very good in these games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Artix posted:

Hey, hey. You need her to enter the fourth area too, unless you're counting the bomb jump glitch in which case you don't need her for Great Bay either. She's totally useful. :colbert:

I forgot you needed her to get into the fourth area as well. My mistake.

C-Euro posted:

I wouldn't go quite that far, Epona is hella sweet in Twilight Princess since you can light enemies up from horseback so easily.

I was specifically talking about the N64 games.

Let me correct myself. Riding around on Epona is fun, but the amount of time in either game she's actually important is pretty short.