Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Hi, friends! My name is Fae and according to my friends I've never played a videogame before.

Well, that's not completely true but there are a lot of classic and well loved games that I've never touched or even know anything about! Last year I knocked one of these games off my list by finally beating Ocarina of Time for the first time, aided by my good friend and Designated Navi ChaosArgate, a whole host of friends and guests and my own wits!

Majora's Mask was on my list pretty much the moment I beat OoT and a lot of people have been very excited to see me play it! Released for the N64 in 2000 (April 27 in Japan, North American on October 26th and Europe on November 17th) and remastered for the 3DS early last year, its certainly one of the more divisive Zelda games! Opinions tend to range from people considering it the best Zelda game to thinking its the worst, and in my experience there's not a lot in between. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

I know very little about this game and have never played it or watched it being played. I know literally three things about the game going in, and they're very obvious things like "there are masks" and "its built on the OoT engine". I'm going in with no foreknowledge or preparation whatsoever and everything you see in these videos is something I'm seeing for the first time! But its not all bad! As usual I'm dragging Navi aka ChaosArgate with me, and I'm also joined by a new permanent co-commentator Tatl aka Artix, who has assured me that he knows this game like the back of his hand. Along with you guys here in the thread, the two of them will be helping me bumble my way through Clock Town and beyond as I make new friends, smash my face into new enemies and die in stupid ways that are 85% of the time, my own drat fault. So let's get started shall we?

This is a blind LP, so the spoiler policy is very strict. Since I can't write something forceful even if my life depended on it, I outsourced the spoiler policy to Artix. So here's what he has to say.

Artix posted:

No. loving. Spoilers. None whatsoever. That means no black bars, no wink-wink-nudge-nudge bullshit, no leading questions, no direct messages, not even vague warnings of upcoming sections. If it has not appeared on video or been directly addressed by either myself or Argate, it is a spoiler. Period.

Fedule posted:

This policy is hereby moderator backed. Please do not test it.

If, for whatever reason, you absolutely must get in touch with Fae, shoot either Argate or myself a PM. If we can answer the question, we will, otherwise we’ll get in touch with Fae and get back to you. Do not attempt to contact Fae directly, she has PMs turned off specifically because of idiots like the above.

...And as an aside, if I see even the slightest hint of BEN Drowned, it will be YOUR TURN. By which I mean I will personally find you and bludgeon you to death with an N64.

....thanks, Artix! Now, without further ado...

A note on the first session: A couple of things went wrong. First of all I accidentally hosed up my audio recording a little bit so my video ended up having the audio from my two co-commentators baked into it. Their audio isn't as good as it should be and ChaosArgate's smoke detector is beeping periodically in the background. Secondly, Majora's Mask doesn't emulate well without some fiddling. There are a few audio issues with the game itself (a little bit of skipping and slowdowns, etc) and the cool transition that's supposed to play as the day is ending doesn't play. That's the nature of blind LPs I suppose, I couldn't exactly load the game up to make sure things worked perfectly before I started! The good news is that we fix it after episode 4 thanks to my buddy FPzero who helped me get everything working correctly!

Episode 1 - I Know Three Things About This Game
Episode 2 - Dog Wants My Bones
Episode 3 - Weird Kid Cult
Episode 4 - A Selfie Gone Wrong
Episode 5 - Bumbling Into The Plot
Episode 6 - Tingle, What Did You Do!?
Episode 7 - Throw Tingle Into A Ditch
Episode 8 - Mail Fraud
Episode 9 - Featuring LP Superstar Blind Sally
Episode 10 - Properly Adorable
Episode 11 - I Remember Things
Episode 12 - A Nice Relaxing Boat Ride
Episode 13 - Tactical Stealth Action Pt. 2
Episode 14 - I Hate This Couple
Episode 15 - High Explosives You Put On Your Face
Episode 16 - This Is So Unnecessary
Episode 17 - Buttwings
Episode 18 - Link Has Mad Ups
Episode 19 - I'm Not Good At These Games
Episode 20 - Just A Regular-rear end Frog
Episode 21 - At Least Six Problems
Episode 22 - He's Just Looting A Corpse
Episode 23 - You're Completely On Your Own
Bonus 1 - Artix's Combat School
Episode 24 - My Favourite Character In FFXIII
Episode 25 - Technical Difficulties
Episode 26 - This Is A Cool Hallucination We're All Having
Episode 27 - ChaosArgate Learned A Thing
Episode 28 - I Hate Mazes
Episode 29 - Please Don't Punch The Baby
Episode 30 - Fairy Hunting
Episode 31 - Morph Ball Experiments
Episode 32 - Shut Up, That's Why
Episode 33 - Firing Blind
Episode 34 - Lunch Break
Episode 35 - Literally Standing On The Answer
Episode 36 - Can We Do That Again?
Episode 37 - Its Been A While
Episode 38 - The One Where Everyone But Me Is Playing Pokemon
Episode 39 - The Truth Is Out There
Episode 40 - Fae, Please Pay More Attention
Episode 41 - I Know This Stand
Episode 42 - You Are A Slimy Fish
Episode 43 - Wasps Are Avatars of Pure Hatred
Episode 44 - There's No Joy At The End Of This Road
Episode 45 - The Hookshot Is Not A Fish
Episode 46 - Sweet Jam Sessions
Episode 47 - Let's Not Try Again
Episode 48 - Old Man Yells At Moon
Episode 49 - Artix, Hero Of Baked Goods
Episode 50 - I've Played A Link To The Past
Episode 51 - Stupid rear end in a top hat Frog
Episode 52 - The Definition Of Insanity
Episode 53 - I Did Not Look Up
Episode 54 - I Broke It
Episode 55 - This Is Not A Good Boss
Episode 56 - Nobody Has Faith In Me Any More
Episode 57 - I Shouldn't Have Wasted All That Time
Episode 58 - I've Learned To Look Up
Episode 59 - Now I'm The King Of The Research
Episode 60 - Look At This Majestic Seagull
Episode 61 - All Up In Its Grundle
Episode 62 - Extreme Gibdo Racing
Episode 63 - I Wanted To Stand On It
Episode 64 - I Have Some Questions
Episode 65 - Can I Unlearn This?
Bonus 2 - Parade
Episode 66 - Don't Look Down
Episode 67 - Well, Isn't This Nice?
Episode 68 - Why's This Plant Screaming At Me?
Episode 69 - This Is So Cool
Episode 70 - There's Lava On The Ceiling
Episode 71 - I'm Sorry, Artix
Episode 72 - You Didn't Accomplish Much
Episode 73 - Frogs
Episode 74 - Water Is Nature's Puzzle
Episode 75 - This Is A Sting Operation
Episode 76 - A Learning LP
Episode 77 - Deja Vu
Episode 78 - Pizza Is Not Passover Friendly
Episode 79 - Bug Hunting
Episode 80 - Mom's Spaghetti
Episode 81 - Happy Fun Slide
Episode 82 - Fae Fights A Wizard
Episode 83 - Why He Scream?
Episode 84 - Losing Time]

:siren:FINAL EPISODE:siren:
Episode 85 - Victory Lap

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Fanart And Other Works!

Shiny777 posted:

A dark lord far, far more evil than Ganondorf ever was.

SystemLogoff posted:

Poor Deku link.

(Dog from above)

Morroque posted:

This LP's #selfie game is en pointe.

Pyroi posted:

Zora is the coolest transformation, as evidenced by this undoctored image.

ZeeToo posted:

Yeah, "Hatsune Mikau" amused me a lot, too.

I spent a couple minutes on Google and couldn't find any existing art of it.

So I got an artist friend to draw it.

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 7, 2017

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Guys, the spoiler policy is the exact same one that every other blind LP on the forum has ever had, just spelled out more clearly so people know exactly what constitutes a spoiler, and a little more aggressive because we knew people would try to skirt around it from the get-go. This isn't my first rodeo, I know what people are like when it comes to popular and well-loved games like this.

If you absolutely can't engage in this thread without breaking our (very clear) spoiler policy there are plenty of other non-blind LPs you can post in. I am sharing this fun, blind experience with you and all I'm asking in return is that you don't ruin it for me. If that proves to be too much for you then maybe consider that this thread isn't for you.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Okay, once again I want to reiterate: if it has not been seen or mentioned in an update, it is spoilers. This means music, locations, quests, collectibles, items, characters...everything. Its really not that hard, guys. Yes, I have gotten past the first cycle at least but like in OoT there will be a few people watching the thread who are also going in blind and I don't want to ruin things for them because this is a great game that deserves to be experienced on your own terms.

The next time I lock this thread, it stays locked until the next update goes up on Tuesday. All I ask is for people to respect that I don't want to talk about things we haven't seen yet. I thought that wasn't much to ask but I forgot for a second that I'm dealing with goons. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Makes me sad that I missed out on owning an n64 really, there are a lot of great games for it that I never got to play. Luckily my friends are willing to sit by and watch me catch up :p

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Ah, I knew that would come up eventually.

OoT only had one permanent co-commentator. That was only two schedules and two timezones to work with between me and ChaosArgate. Adding guests was occasionally a logistical nightmare due to timezones and on more than a few occasions at least one of us would either have to stay up late, or get up early.

Majora's Mask has three permanent co-commentators. Still two timezones thank gently caress, but now we have to consistently work with three different schedules of three people who each have at least one project other than this one going on. Unfortunately, using the guest spreadsheet would be frustrating as hell and probably lead to delayed episodes while we wait for everyone's schedules to line up. It was a tough decision to make but we decided that for the sake of getting poo poo actually done it would be better just to work between the three of us.

That doesn't mean there won't be guests at all, I have a few people already lined up for certain things, and there's bound to be exploration videos and bonus minigames I can pull from the spreadsheet for but I have to let you guys down on this one, sorry :smith:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:siren:Its Update Time!:siren:

Episode 2 - Dog Wants My Bones

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:siren:Update Time!:siren:

Episode 3 - Weird Kid Cult

I hope you like watching me struggle with simple tasks!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Episode 4 - A Selfie Gone Wrong

This game is unsettling as all hell and it absolutely nails its intended atmosphere I am in love.

Also good news, after the first session I got the opportunity to play with some settings and thanks to my good pal FPzero, fixed all the graphical and audio errors in project 64!

More good news also. I am happy to report that ChaosArgate did finally get his smoke detector fixed after this session, so it will no longer be guest starring in this LP!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

The time limit actually doesn't bother me that much because I figured out pretty much immediately that it does not matter and that after this point, its mostly there to scare you.

I have the Song of Time and as the scarecrow told me, I can use it to manipulate time in other ways than just straight up resetting everything. For those going in blind with me, the time limit in Majora's Mask is basically only there for NPC schedules. You can, at any point, slow down or speed up time at no cost whatsoever. The game (or at least the time limit part of it) becomes a lot less stressful once you realise you have that level of control over the flow of time!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Drakenel posted:

Eugh. It's hard to watch you not read whats on the screen and be confused when it's explained to you ten seconds later.

You must be new here

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Okay I just rewatched the video because I was curious about what you could be referring to and if its what I think it is then that's not me not paying attention; I have an awful memory for sequences and while writing down the song of time during recording probably wasn't the best idea, it was also the only way I'd be able to quickly reference it without having to go through the start menu, select the song and spend a couple of seconds repeating it to myself so I'd remember every time.

I promise I've actually been working on my reading comprehension and my sense of direction between games!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I'm going to be on a train for a lot of tomorrow since I'm heading to my girlfriends place for the weekend to attend her nephews' christening so here's tomorrows update a little early so I don't forget to post it!

Episode 5 - Bumbling Into The Plot

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Morroque posted:

This LP's #selfie game is en pointe.

This post made me so excited when I first saw it that I actually tried to retweet it because I want everyone to enjoy it

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Episode 6 - Tingle, What Did You Do!?

Posting this a little later than I usually post videos but in my defence I was distracted by a rad as poo poo videogame that I've been waiting for for a while and just got released today!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Today's update will be posted tomorrow, my country just voted to gently caress itself over and to say I'm a little mad about it is an understatement, I need to calm down before I try to be entertaining, I think.

Everyone else in England, hang in there as best you can. Today's gonna be rough.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Episode 7 - Throw Tingle Into A Ditch

Seriously though I hate that guy

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Update coming later today, it would be now but I'm recovering from being attacked by a ferocious creature

:3:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I have successfully endured the relentless attack from the tiny kitten. It was touch and go for a sec there, but I made it long enough to bring you all this video

Episode 8 - Mail Fraud

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Episode 9 - Featuring LP Superstar Blind Sally

(sorry its a little late, I am currently sick with a sinus infection and spent most of yesterday either napping or complaining about being sick)

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

tiistai posted:

Personally I simply find it pretty funny how Fae is getting so good at almost discovering stuff :v:

Same :v: I swear I don't do it on purpose. I'm just lucky and unlucky at the same time I guess.

Also on the topic of my co-commentators: I'm pretty happy with the level of help they're giving me. ChaosArgate has been with me through an entire LP before and Artix and I have been friends for a while now; they both know how my brain works and how to tell when I need a little poke in the right direction, even if I don't express that. That doesn't come through in the videos because you guys don't know me as well as these two do. So if they give me guidance, its because they think I need it and for no other reason.

This is my third blind LP. I know when I need a push in the right direction and I also know that you can't please everyone. I'd rather the game be fun for me to play and people whine about too much guidance than to give in to people who say I'm getting too much help and end up frustrated with the game. I have exploration videos planned where I'll go off on my own and discover stuff. The "main" videos will be a lot more guided and that works for us. If it doesn't for you, then that's okay but I'm not changing my relationship with my friends because of it.

In other words, I am satisfied with my care.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Keksen posted:

Which is incidentally also why it's one of my least favorite Zeldas. Bit of an unpopular opinion, I understand.

I hope it comes through in the videos (and I've been told it totally does) but I am completely head over heels in love with this game.

I can absolutely see why people dislike it though. You're cast into a strange, weird world that doesn't work the way you really think it should, you're given no real direction except "find these people and bring them to the apocalypse" and that's assuming you manage to get to the end of the first cycle, and finally you're on a very strict time limit. I completely understand being put off by just one of these things, when they're all together like that I can see where the dislikes come from.

For me at least, Silent Hill 2, The Void, Pathologic, Haunting Ground and Rule of Rose are some of my favourite games of all time. Its obvious that I am willing to forgive a little clunkiness and a few mechanical missteps if a game manages to nail its atmosphere, which this one does very very well. Everything is so creepy, uncanny valley weird. There are people and things that you recognise but they don't act or work like they're supposed to and that instantly puts you on edge. Termina is fuckin' weird and it revels in it and I absolutely cannot resist that in a game.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Crow, after our last fundraiser you almost died. Now I'm not saying these things are connected but Go Go Nippon was pretty hard on us all!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

So I forgot to update the past week because I had a sinus infection. Oops. Here's a belated video to try and catch up, next one will be posted tomorrow to get me back on track!

Episode 10 - Properly Adorable

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:siren:Update Time:siren:

Episode 11 - I Remember Things

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Hello I forgot to post this update because I was playing my first Monster Hunter game with May, Demerine, liquidypoo and casnorf!

(Get Monster Hunter Generations, guys. Its real good)

Episode 12 - A Nice Relaxing Boat Ride

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I know its bad form to blame your controller but I think I did actually set my analog stick to be far too sensitive. Unfortunately I forgot to change it before the next two sessions and that caused some "issues" but I'm gonna go do it right now so I don't accidentally throw myself into any more poison water

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Hey its that thing where I do an update!

Episode 13 - Tactical Stealth Action Pt. 2

Wherein we continue to actually do plot things and we reunite with an old "friend"

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Hello I've been weirdly sick recently, here's a slightly late update

Episode 14 - I Hate This Couple

ChaosArgate couldn't make it to this session but don't worry, we replaced him with poorlywrittennovel!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I'm still sick I hate this so much. In this episode, I learn some important lessons about bombs

Episode 15 - High Explosives You Put On Your Face

Also if you just can't get enough of me talking over videogames, gnome and I just finished our LP of Arctic Alive which is a glorious tire fire of a game that everyone should experience.

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 26, 2016

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Hello here is an episode, wherein Link gets some sick new dance moves

Episode 16 - This Is So Unnecessary

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Zain posted:

Link to the Dance Floor. Footage taken from your LP Faerie.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I love this this is amazing

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Episode 17 - Buttwings

Its our last episode with novel! Next time we're off to actually do plot things!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Episode 18 - Link Has Mad Ups

A note on this session: I was running a fever when we recorded this. ChaosArgate and I thought it would be fine since last time we did that we got the Shadow Temple videos but we also forgot that I had the entirety of Ocarina of Time before that point under my belt and kind of knew what I was doing.

This is Majora's Mask. I don't know what I'm doing. So I'm a little dopier and a little worse at combat than I normally am, so try not to get as mad as Artix did by the end of this, I was trying my best!

That being said, enjoy the first dungeon!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Episode 19 - I'm Not Good At These Games

Continuing to play this game with a fever was probably not one of my best ideas

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Yes I get it I'm bad at games and have trouble with some stuff ha ha very funny but can we not? If the only reason you're watching this LP and posting in the thread is to make fun of me then I want nothing to do with you. I've had to deal with this poo poo in three different blind LPs now and I'm sick of it

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

That wasn't specifically directed at you but there have been a few posts like this and I want to nip it in the bud right now. I don't make LPs to be made fun of. I can take some good natured ribbing but a lot of this just feels mean-spirited and I want it to stop.

I have known issues with depth perception and directions. I recorded this when I was sick with a fever and its the first dungeon in a game that has much more difficult dungeons than its predecessor, yes I am going to make mistakes. Lighten the gently caress up and let me make them, if you want to see it done perfectly either go watch a speedrun or do it yourself if you're that much better than me.

Oh and if watching someone not be good at a videogame actually makes you angry, seek counselling. That's not healthy.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

You can do it in Dwarf Fortress and Rimworld! Probably Dead Rising too, that seems like the kind of series that'd let you use a human limb as an improvised weapon

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Hello I made a mistake and went to bed at 9pm last night so I have been awake since 5:30am here's an update

Episode 20 - Just A Regular-rear end Frog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Editing was so much "fun". Feverish Joey has no idea what anything is or what is going on at any point. Awake, healthy Joey does, and unfortunately, healthy Joey is the one that has to do editing, so there were a lot of points where I had no choice but to sit there and shake my head while cursing out my past self