Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
who will "win" E3
This poll is closed.
Sony 29 14.22%
Microsoft 17 8.33%
Nintendo 30 14.71%
Oculus 24 11.76%
Valve 35 17.16%
Sega 69 33.82%
Total: 101 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The_Franz posted:

even better, for some reason the ps4 uses an inline sata<->usb converter on the hard drive. it's basically an external drive mounted internally.

it's usb 3 tho right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sagebrush posted:

are you honestly saying you're going to be pissed off that a company had the audacity to make a new product that is faster and better than the one you bought two years ago? that this is somehow like a violation of trust or something??

here's a tip to help ease your mind in the future: exit capitalist society and live as a hermit in a cave

i can guarantee you that sony is preparing for an increase in death threats for this exact issue

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i'm pretty sure the ps4 SE will do next to nothing for gaming and they are just updating it for 4k blurays

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the only thing that can go wrong is that devs start releasing games at 20fps on the original PS4 in a few years, while the same game runs at 30-60 fps on PS4 Revision 2.

this is easily remedied be stricter guidelines and new compliancy testing by Sony.

any outrage over this will be by jealous children. however, mad child gamers can be a real pain in the rear end as demonstrated by gamergate, so we'll see.

sony would be best to do a lot of explaining at the keynote, talking about what's in place to make sure games will run well on all generations of console.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

HL3 is coming. this is the year guys

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

AtomD posted:

remember when windows 10 was going to be called windows one (one windows, different devices!), so they branded the xbox 3 'xbox one' in preparation, but then someone said 'wait that's real fuckin dumb'
then don mattrick (rest his soul) probably looked like this:

idk whether that's what's actually happened but i guarantee you that's what actually happened. that's why the xbox one has a real dumb name

That man is literally the richest man in Canada. I think he works for Canadian Rovio or something.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
His wife is also mad rich.

Her name is Nanon de Gaspé Beaubien-Mattrick. I'm guessing that's Irish or something.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Perplx posted:

i'm pretty sure the ps4 SE will do next to nothing for gaming and they are just updating it for 4k blurays

the PS4 can already output 4K, and in fact it does this for VR, then uses the box to split that 4K image down to a 1080p stream for the headset, and a 720p stream for the TV. this lets you play on both devices at once, even with different images on the headset and TV.

with traditional console generations you release your device for $399, then drop it $49 every year or so. with revisions, Sony can keep their console around $399 indefinitely and even drive some users to upgrade every few years.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

That man is literally the richest man in Canada. I think he works for Canadian Rovio or something.

failing northwards

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Valeyard posted:

devs were pissed enough about the jump to 720/1080p graphics, just lol at the idea of 4k assets

stop posting

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

PleasureKevin posted:

failing northwards

Remember when people were asking him about the Xbox One always having to always be on the Internet even for single player games, with concern that it's going to screw over guys in Iraq and Afghanistan? And he said "We have a console for them: the Xbox 360!". I think that was the final nail and MS let him go like a week later.

e: he was let go two weeks later lol

He also left Zynga out of nowhere, too. I definitely don't follow mobile game news enough to know if he was a shitshow there, too, though.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 6, 2016

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Sagebrush posted:

are you honestly saying you're going to be pissed off that a company had the audacity to make a new product that is faster and better than the one you bought two years ago? that this is somehow like a violation of trust or something??

the danger is releasing new hardware and then letting devs target the new hardware for performance

which evidently sony isn't going to allow, the new hardware is likely for upscaling games and native 4k playback for the 11 people that have a 4k tv so close to their chair that they can tell the difference between a bluray and 4k content.

i guess there might be some borderline games where some particular area drops below 30 fps that might remain stable on the new ps4 and that might be frustrating for people that only recently bought a ps4?

over in goofus land though, i can totally see microsoft encouraging or even forcing first and second party devs to target the xbox one two in order to drive sales of their new hardware and then they'll send out a bunch of confused press releases where they don't understand why people are upset that halo 6 or w/e gets 19 fps on the xbox one

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Space-Pope posted:

lol @ sony

are they seriously coming out with a ps4 with updated internals? like i could see a slim version but holy loly are they putting a bad taste in the mouth of like everyone who's bought one so far

e: watch it still have a 5400rpm hdd limited to sata-ii

drat dude this console got the wrong drat hard drive? at least it dont got the wrong fuckin RAM!

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

He also left Zynga out of nowhere, too. I definitely don't follow mobile game news enough to know if he was a shitshow there, too, though.

did anyone say 'bye zynga - don mattrick'?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Panty Saluter posted:

ive had a steering wheel since gt4 came out. for whatever reason it's stayed with me thru a ton of moves even though i almost never use it

a friend of mine somehow still has that steel battalion controller setup despite completing nursing school getting married and having two kids

it's in his living room under the tv

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

angry_keebler posted:

the danger is releasing new hardware and then letting devs target the new hardware for performance

which evidently sony isn't going to allow, the new hardware is likely for upscaling games and native 4k playback for the 11 people that have a 4k tv so close to their chair that they can tell the difference between a bluray and 4k content.

not only are they letting devs target the new hardware, they're requiring them to do so starting in October

all games are required to have a Base mode and a Neo mode, Neo mode must natively render at least 1080p (lol), the Neo mode must have a framerate greater or equal to the Base Mode, Base and Neo must have an identical feature set (except Neo is allowed to support more players in local-only modes), Base and Neo must be patched on the same schedule, the game discs have to ship with the Base mode (and starting in like 2017 or something must ship both Base and Neo), Base and Neo online multiplayer must interoperate, etc.

oh and the new hardware isn't a secret, everything's clocked faster and the GPU has double the number of shader cores

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

AtomD posted:

remember when windows 10 was going to be called windows one (one windows, different devices!), so they branded the xbox 3 'xbox one' in preparation, but then someone said 'wait that's real fuckin dumb'
then don mattrick (rest his soul) probably looked like this:

idk whether that's what's actually happened but i guarantee you that's what actually happened. that's why the xbox one has a real dumb name

windows one zero

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

a friend of mine somehow still has that steel battalion controller setup despite completing nursing school getting married and having two kids

it's in his living room under the tv

i wanted one of those so bad

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

AtomD posted:

did anyone say 'bye zynga - don mattrick'?

I think they called him Don Hat-Trick (as in, he pulls a hat trick and runs off with everyone's money)

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Sagebrush posted:

here's a tip to help ease your mind in the future: exit capitalist society and live as a hermit in a cave
for me, it was one year ago, and game consoles are not phones. people already dislike the whole "pay $300 every two years" for a device they use every single day for a myriad of reasons

Smythe posted:

drat dude this console got the wrong drat hard drive? at least it dont got the wrong fuckin RAM!
ha ha yeah it sure is like that thing losers said ironically

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

starcraft ghost

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
is wii u under 2 hundo yet so i can get mario kart

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Half Lif'em Threeever

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

graph posted:

is wii u under 2 hundo yet so i can get mario kart

Oh yeah i also have this question

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I'm prob gonna buy a 1080 once the early adopter tax goes away

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Shaggar posted:

I'm prob gonna buy a 1080 once the early adopter tax goes away

even so six hundo isnt bad. that thing is a beast

i imagine a 9xx still gets a decent used price too

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BME8CD3w3k8
games

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

it's too bad we won't see the Nintendo NX because the rumor that it's basically an nvidia shield tablet is pretty good

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

i wanted one of those so bad

same, gently caress

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Zynga is such a skeezy company that, unironically, they probably hired him because the tried to gently caress people at Microsoft. his Canadian conscious probably kicked it when they showed him plans to trick toddlers into making in-app purchases on their parents cards and he left.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

PleasureKevin posted:

Zynga is such a skeezy company that, unironically, they probably hired him because the tried to gently caress people at Microsoft. his Canadian conscious probably kicked it when they showed him plans to trick toddlers into making in-app purchases on their parents cards and he left.

nah. he donates the max allowed to the bc liberals every year. a through and through rear end in a top hat.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

nah. he donates the max allowed to the bc liberals every year. a through and through rear end in a top hat.

for those lurking, the BC liberals are a much despised right-wing part in western Canada.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Space-Pope posted:

for me, it was one year ago, and game consoles are not phones. people already dislike the whole "pay $300 every two years" for a device they use every single day for a myriad of reasons
ha ha yeah it sure is like that thing losers said ironically

Who was ironic? the xbone has the wrong kind of ram - fact.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

i hope there's lots of funny awkward mistakes during the keynotes and poo poo

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i cant wait for tweets about booth babes and after parties that arent exemplary attitude of the studios actions

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i hope there's lots of funny awkward mistakes during the keynotes and poo poo

i have added this to the op!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

PleasureKevin posted:

for those lurking, the BC liberals are a much despised right-wing part in western Canada.

Why is being right wing in Canada being a liberal? I don't care much for politics but that's oddly confusing since right wing even in the middle east means conservative.

Ned Flanders is right. Everything really is backwards in Canada.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Why is being right wing in Canada being a liberal? I don't care much for politics but that's oddly confusing since right wing even in the middle east means conservative.

"neoliberal"

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

it's just the name of the party. maybe at some point it was liberal. but not since i can remember, since one of the first things they did after i moved here was sell of the state telecommunications company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
its almost like words can have multiple meanings

• Locked thread