Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
my 17 year old daughter is flying to Boston for a month before she starts college in September. I feel old as poo poo now and am happy she has this opportunity. give me advice to pass on to her about Boston please.

she will be staying with her step sister and her husband and ugly kids.

she also said that she is going to visit New York from Boston with her step sister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo, they let you have a kid?!

Well that explains Trump I guess.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Holy poo poo, they let you have a kid?!

Well that explains Trump I guess.

Yea. I raped her mom and the government didn't deport me.

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
give her my phone number op.

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

i dont live in boston but im down for a ldr

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Tony Homo posted:

Yea. I raped her mom and the government didn't deport me.

Thank god your wife divorced you or she could have been really hosed up.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
is she gonna find her wooden leg or just assault some minorities like everyone else there?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

wear a Yankees cap

A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug

symbolic posted:

wear a Yankees cap

this

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
Ok. Gonna keep a list.
1) Yankee cap NO

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

The best advice is to not go to Boston. Source: I live right outside Boston.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
too many one way streets that dump you into more one way streets

stop signs and red lights are "stoptional" meaning if you are a boston driver it's your option whether or not to actually obey them

Lots of good food but be careful because it's very easy to wander into a sketchy area

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
god drat double post

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Tony Homo posted:

Ok. Gonna keep a list.
1) Yankee cap NO
Yankees jersey it is

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
Imitate a stereotypical Boston accent so they'll know you're "hip"

ExplosionFactory
Oct 4, 2007
Boston is a drinking town. She'll need a fake ID.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

ExplosionFactory posted:

Boston is a drinking town. She'll need a fake ID.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
Any fear of another bombing incident? Avoid pressure cookers? What's a bad part of town?

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Drink pissssss

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Tell her to take a walk down Methadone Mile.

She probably won't come home addicted to Oxy. I'm sure you were a good enough parent.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Do they have minorities in Boston? Or are the "rough areas" populated by white pill junkies

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
Tell her never to go to south boston, dorchester, roxbury, or jamaica plain unless she wants one of the following: to be raped or to buy drugs

also be prepared for the most unfriendly city on the planet and a lot of drunks

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Do they have minorities in Boston? Or are the "rough areas" populated by white pill junkies

from google:

Boston, Mass. 2010 census population (rank): 617,594 (22); Male: 295,951 (47.1%); Female, 321,643 (52.9%); White: 333,033 (53.9%); Black: 150,437 (22.4%); American Indian and Alaska Native: 2,399 (0.2%); Asian: 55,235 (8.9%); Other race: 51,893 (1.6%); Two or more races: 24,332 (2.4%); Hispanic/Latino: 107,917 (17.5%).

there are lots of little cultural pockets in boston and the surrounding area

Grody posted:

Tell her never to go to south boston, dorchester, roxbury, or jamaica plain unless she wants one of the following: to be raped or to buy drugs

also be prepared for the most unfriendly city on the planet and a lot of drunks

center street and the arbor way are beautiful and as long as its not 2am or something you are safe in all of those areas you mentioned

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

Luvcow posted:

from google:

Boston, Mass. 2010 census population (rank): 617,594 (22); Male: 295,951 (47.1%); Female, 321,643 (52.9%); White: 333,033 (53.9%); Black: 150,437 (22.4%); American Indian and Alaska Native: 2,399 (0.2%); Asian: 55,235 (8.9%); Other race: 51,893 (1.6%); Two or more races: 24,332 (2.4%); Hispanic/Latino: 107,917 (17.5%).

there are lots of pockets in boston and surrounding area

center street and the arbor way are beautiful and as long as its not 2am or something you are safe in all of those areas you mentioned

if shes going to college she will likely be out late most weekends and those are the places not to be

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/bostons-streets-are-covered-in-secret-poems

There are poems painted with a temporary paint on the sidewalks in boston. The gimmick is they're only revealed when wet, and they're meant to be noticed when it rains.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Grody posted:

if shes going to college she will likely be out late most weekends and those are the places not to be

i strongly agree with this, yes and maybe add parts of somerville to that list

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
Boston common is awesome during the summer, during the winter it gets so cold youd wish you werent alive, parking is a bitch, the north end has great food but is absurdly expensive.

what school is she going to?

AutomaticPrince
Jun 14, 2013
Our transit system is the worst, constant delays and it shuts down at midnight.

We have a major heroin "problem" which is slowly but surely thinning the herd of white trash.

If she doesn't embrace the local sports teams, a 45 year old man will attempt to fistfight her.

Avoid the above mentioned areas. Faneuil Hall is a decent area for drinking/tourism.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
better hope she doesn't become what is sometimes best summed up as a biddy (sorta like the Boston twist on the American basic bitch, wears a Northface or Canada Goose jacket in winter, owns a pair of uggs and PINK rear end letters sweatpants and wears them in public and to class instead of the usual leggings/yoga pants while hungover on some random morning after w/Pumpkin Spice Starbucks latte and smartphone in same hand and walking four abreast down the sidewalk in the middle of the day with her squad girls and the giant sunglasses on, of course cant forget the pink red sox hat to show love for their new most fav team ever and to cover up their hair esp when looking like a hot mess, and even worse begins to talk like a trashier valley girl with vocal fry, a put-on bad attitude/ Boston accent and suddenly being #BostonStrong on social media accounts (or similar cringe inducing #bullshit) simply by virtue of coming to live and study for a few years in the City of Boston (ive been out of college for 5+yrs now but my description should still be relatively accurate based upon what i see nowadays. But I'm just screwing with ya, i have faith u raised her far better than that so im sure she'll turn out swell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y67TlNaXGVo

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Mariana Horchata posted:

#BostonStrong on social media accounts (or similar cringe inducing #bullshit)

this was such an utterly terrible #

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
only thing i know about boston is they have amazing crab soup, so uh tell her to try the crab soup?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

If she punches a Viet so hard he goes blind it could be her stepping stone to stardom

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

JiveHonky posted:

only thing i know about boston is they have amazing crab soup, so uh tell her to try the crab soup?

chowdare, its called chowdare

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Luvcow posted:

Diamond Joe Quimby is the best

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Luvcow posted:

oh yeah thanks luvcow, tell her to try the chowder soup

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

Mariana Horchata posted:

better hope she doesn't become what is sometimes best summed up as a biddy (sorta like the Boston twist on the American basic bitch, wears a Northface or Canada Goose jacket in winter, owns a pair of uggs and PINK rear end letters sweatpants and wears them in public and to class instead of the usual leggings/yoga pants while hungover on some random morning after w/Pumpkin Spice Starbucks latte and smartphone in same hand and walking four abreast down the sidewalk in the middle of the day with her squad girls and the giant sunglasses on, of course cant forget the pink red sox hat to show love for their new most fav team ever and to cover up their hair esp when looking like a hot mess, and even worse begins to talk like a trashier valley girl with vocal fry, a put-on bad attitude/ Boston accent and suddenly being #BostonStrong on social media accounts (or similar cringe inducing #bullshit) simply by virtue of coming to live and study for a few years in the City of Boston (ive been out of college for 5+yrs now but my description should still be relatively accurate based upon what i see nowadays. But I'm just screwing with ya, i have faith u raised her far better than that so im sure she'll turn out swell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y67TlNaXGVo

wow ive lived and went to school in the area and that is 100% spot on

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Tony Homo posted:

Any fear of another bombing incident? Avoid pressure cookers? What's a bad part of town?

Even the "bad" parts of town are pretty gentrified. I'd suggest avoiding any area more than walking distance from a train station, but there isn't a hell of a lot too far from her school she should bother with.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Seizure Robot posted:

The best advice is to not go to Boston. Source: I live right outside Boston.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

constantly refer to boston as 'beantown', that's what the locals call it and it will make you fit in

also the green line is the fastest and most efficient way to see the city if you're in a hurry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noctambulous nebab
May 12, 2016

by zen death robot

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Tell her to take a walk down Methadone Mile.

She probably won't come home addicted to Oxy. I'm sure you were a good enough parent.

If there was Oxy to go around it wouldn't be called Methadone Mile. Just saying.

• Locked thread