Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

quote:

Former Little League coach pleads guilty to spanking players

HENDERSONVILLE – A former Little League baseball coach charged with spanking the bare bottoms of four boys without their parents’ permission pleaded guilty in Henderson County Superior Court on Tuesday.

Investigators charged 33-year-old Jonathan Shawn Russell, of Hendersonville, with four misdemeanor counts of assault on a child under 12, saying the children were spanked by him at his residence.

A judge sentenced Russell to 60 days in the Henderson County jail followed by 18 months of supervised probation. He could have been ordered to spend up to 300 days in jail, according to Henderson County Superior Court Judge Bradley Letts.

The victims at the time ranged in ages from 8 to 9, according to arrest warrants. Russell was accused of “pulling down child victim’s pants and his underwear and spanking him on his buttocks multiple times with his hands,” according to warrants.

Three parents, a victim’s grandmother and one victim testified during trial.

“Coach Russell made me feel hurt,” the child said. “When he spanked me he made me feel ashamed because my family trusted him. He made my mom feel sad because he didn’t have her permission.”

The assaults happened between August 2014 and January 2015, according to warrants. All victims had been players on Russell's baseball team and were also friends of his son, according to a summary of evidence presented by District Attorney Greg Newman.

The boys would spend time at Russell's home, sometimes spending the night. On a few occasions, he punished the boys for misbehaving by taking them into a back bedroom where he locked the door, Newman said.

One victim was spanked on three occasions, and, following each spanking, Russell told the victim, "What happens at Coach Russell's house stays at Coach Russell's house," Newman said.

On another occasion with a different victim, Russell told a victim there was "no need to tell his parents because it only mattered to (Russell)," Newman said.

Four boys were assaulted over three years. Russell was a coach in the league for four years. The Henderson County Youth Baseball organization asked him to resign when the allegations surfaced.

A victim’s mother said in court she felt “helpless” when her son told her he had been spanked by Russell for saying “dang it.”

"I had no words for (my son) that would erase the fear and embarrassment that this man made him feel from this humiliating and sadistic manner," she said. “The acts of this man have left wounds that a Band-aid or doctors can’t heal."

When Russell took the stand, he told the families of those he abused he was wrong after allegations surfaced and was charged by authorities.

"I recognized the misapplication in the sense that these weren't my children and this wasn't my place," he said. "I never tried to hide it from their parents, but I didn't have their permission either.

"I'm sorry," he continued. "I want to seek forgiveness ... I understand the affect it has had on everyone and from the bottom of my heart I did not mean to do any damage."

Russell's actions would not have been illegal had he been given permission for the spankings by parents of the boys, Newman said.

Russell said he spanked his own children in addition to the four victims based on a methodology from the book, "Shepherding a Child's Heart," a manual on child rearing.

In one chapter the book says, "If you fail to spank, you don't take God seriously and don't love your child enough," Russell read aloud on the stand.

According to the book, there are eight steps for how a parent should spank their child. They include taking the child to a private place, telling the child what they did wrong, telling the child how many spankings they will receive and removing their pants. After spanking, the parent should hug their child and tell them how much they love him or her. They are also supposed to pray together.

“I cared for these children just like they were my own, and I did the same when it came to discipline,” Russell said. “My purpose was to get them to an understanding that their behavior needed to be changed. It was done with a motive of love. We never left the room until they had a smile on their face."

One victim's mother said her son came to her crying one night about 11 p.m. and told her what had happened.

"It was a parent's nightmare," she said. "(My son) told me he had been assaulted by his coach and that's why he didn't want to play baseball anymore ... He loved baseball."

The woman said her son is still deeply affected.

"He doesn't allow people to hug him," she said. "In the weeks leading up to this trial, he started sleeping out on the recliner because he was afraid Coach Russell will come and hurt him again."

Russell had been apart of the Henderson County community for more than 20 years after graduating from Hendersonville High and working in various jobs with children, including at Transylvania County Schools. He moved to Michigan with his wife and three children after the allegations arose and worked at a McDonald's.

He also was involved in ministry, and three character witnesses testified on Russell’s behalf after meeting him through church.

"John is a man of integrity and honor," said Phillip Smith, a pastor and friend of Russell's. "I love him not only as a brother in Christ but as my own brother."

A victim's mother said Russell "used his Christianity in a sick and twisted way."

"I detest you and what you did to my son ... That is just sick that you humiliated my child," she said.

That same mother, though, concluded her testimony by forgiving Russell.

"When you made that choice, you asked for the consequences," she said.

Judge Letts told Russell that although he thought he was acting with the right intentions that “we all must recognize there are boundaries.”

Before court recessed, Letts told the victims to remember one thing.

“You didn’t do anything wrong,” he said. “Sometimes kids place their trust in adults and it's violated.”

Russell was taken into custody following the trial Tuesday. As part of his supervised probation, he will not be allowed to be alone with a child younger than 18 or be involved in any activity involving children younger than 18.

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2016/05/31/former-little-league-coach-pleads-guilty-spanking-players/85194022/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
as much as i condone beating the poo poo out of small children i cant help but think this guy is a perv and used his position of authority to get his jollies

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

why were the kids at his house in the first place

my little league coach was this cool old black dude, everyone met him at the field then went their separate ways after practice or games

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

as someone who was in athletics from childhood until college, I can safely say that all coaches are creepy and probably pedophiles.

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015

Macasaurus posted:

Yeah, I'd have to pop a big "thanks but no thanks" on the invite if it was my kid.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

as much as i condone beating the poo poo out of small children i cant help but think this guy is a perv and used his position of authority to get his jollies

I'd wary on the side of just being a dumbass about raising kids than outright malice

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

dog buttz posted:

as someone who was in athletics from childhood until college, I can safely say that all coaches are creepy and probably pedophiles.

I was an umpire in middle school, the youth league coaches that aren't pedophiles are formerly athletic men trying to reclaim glory

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

My favorite youth baseball memories are all different kids and coaches being extremely, embarrassingly mad at the umpires

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Fat Lowtax posted:

My favorite youth baseball memories are all different kids and coaches being extremely, embarrassingly mad at the umpires

The poor volunteers hahaha little league parents can be assholes, the kids get a pass though, keep your strike zone the same for both teams blue you loving cheater I know you get your pet food at the other coaches pet store motherfucker!!!

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Fat Lowtax posted:

I
haha that poo poo happened every game. the older the kids the worse the parents, like the grownups could already hear major leagues calling and my dumb call (I was bad at being an umpire, lol) was make or break

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

north carolina: still backwards as gently caress

tomatoes and shit
Sep 17, 2015

symbolic posted:

nice

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

symbolic posted:

*takes shirt off*
*twists it around head*
*spins it round like a helicopter*

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Right. "Spanking."

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Dude looks like a hairy thumb. Where are his ears?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

somebody should spank the op for a stupid copy + paste no effort thread

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you think he caressed or squeezed the butts of the little boys a bit with each blow

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Iron Prince posted:

*takes shirt off*
*twists it around head*
*spins it round like a helicopter*
stop you're scaring me

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
wouldn't it be easier jsut to flick their ears or something

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
That guy in the pic is 33 lol

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Fallows posted:

That guy in the pic is 33 lol

goddamn white people age poorly

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Fat Lowtax posted:

I liked the orange and watermelon slices we'd eat after games

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
why didn't the kids hit him in the head with a bat?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

quote:

April 7, 2016

Dear friends,

I am contacting you as a former customer of Child Training Resources. As you may know, we stopped selling our chastening instruments and closed our business in 2006 due to external pressures and family reasons. Since that time and after 10 years of periodic request sand inquiries, we have decided to again making these chastening instruments available — but only on a private basis and without a web site or ANY internet exposure.

To jog your memory or for those of you unfamiliar with our instrument, the blue spanker is 9” long, 1.5” wide and 3/16” thick. Made of virtually indestructible polyurethane, it is extremely flexible and quite portable (easily fits in a purse, back pocket or diaper bag).

[price, shipping, and payment instructions]

One more I’m,portent thing. Feel free to let other Biblically-minded parents know about this chastening instrument, but do not post anything about it on the internet and please exercise discretion as to who you tell about them. Although proper chastisement is legal, there are some (even among family members) who mistakenly believe that spanking of any kind constitutes child abuse. Our willingness and ability to make these instruments available to parents who believe in Biblical chastisement depends both on their responsible use by us as parents (see our tips) and care in who we tell about them. Thank you for your sensitivity on this.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmFE80Fzuhg

A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug
that sure is a lot of words to say that some brokebrain weirdo likes to spank little boys bare asses but.no way he is NOT a pedo guys seriously, its.because jesus

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS
Two things.

1) WTF!?
2) What head injuries does a parent have to sustain to think that letting children stay at their little league coach's house overnight is a good idea?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
When I was a kid we spent the night at my little league coach's house all the time and it wasn't anything weird. We'd just make a fire in the back yard and make smores and he'd unroll a bunch of sleeping bags on the basement floor (a finished basement) and we'd all sleep down there.

In the 4th grade though my friend Trevor's dad bare-butt spanked me for saying "buttcrack" during dinner, but they were pretty religious. Then he got weird for the rest of the sleepover, because I think he was afraid I'd tell me dad. What he didn't know was that I wouldn't have dreamed of it because then my dad would know I was saying buttcrack during dinner.

Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE

Serviette posted:

Two things.

1) WTF!?
2) What head injuries does a parent have to sustain to think that letting children stay at their little league coach's house overnight is a good idea?

I think the article said the coach's kid was buddies with all the bespanked children, so I assume everyone figured it was like a normal kids sleepover. It is extra hosed up of the parents just sent their kids to a random coaches house. If that's the case those parents shoulda seen molestation coming from a mile away.

E^ or I don't know maybe everyone but me was invited to spend the night with the church league 3rd grade basketball coach :(

A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug
if you ever let your kid spend the night at ANY persons house who is an active member of the church community, youre basically consenting to having your child be molested as hell

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

A CISHET SHITLORD posted:

if you ever let your kid spend the night at ANY persons house who is an active member of the church community, youre basically consenting to having your child be molested as hell

This is a weird mentality to me. Maybe it's because I wasn't born in the 80's or whatever, but i used to spend the night wherever when I was a kid. My 5th grade teacher, Mr. Harris, used to have all the boys over for sleepovers and boat rides, and we used to go spend the weekend at our Camp YMCA's counselors house all the time.

It was never an issue and nothing bad ever happened.

My parents had a strict policy of "if I'm not going to get a phone call about it, I don't want to know".

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Macasaurus posted:

my little league coach was this cool old black dude, everyone met him at the field then went their separate ways after practice or games

Guess you weren't one of his targets, lucky you.

A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug

criscodisco posted:

This is a weird mentality to me. Maybe it's because I wasn't born in the 80's or whatever, but i used to spend the night wherever when I was a kid. My 5th grade teacher, Mr. Harris, used to have all the boys over for sleepovers and boat rides, and we used to go spend the weekend at our Camp YMCA's counselors house all the time.

It was never an issue and nothing bad ever happened.

My parents had a strict policy of "if I'm not going to get a phone call about it, I don't want to know".

sleepovers are totally a normal thing. I'm just pointing out that if the parents in charge of said sleepover are "active members of the church community", then the chances of molestation are exponentially higher

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD

Peebla posted:

I think the article said the coach's kid was buddies with all the bespanked children, so I assume everyone figured it was like a normal kids sleepover. It is extra hosed up of the parents just sent their kids to a random coaches house. If that's the case those parents shoulda seen molestation coming from a mile away.

E^ or I don't know maybe everyone but me was invited to spend the night with the church league 3rd grade basketball coach :(

I read but wasn't prepared to make that hypothetical leap of faith for my hypothetical little coal miner offspring.

Stupid people should not be allowed to have children :(

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Christians trust other Christians

That's why there are Christian dentist offices and plumbers and real estate agents.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

That's why there are Christian dentist offices and plumbers and real estate agents.

i actually know a dentist with a failing practice who converted to mormonism because mormons try to only go to mormon businesses. it worked. same with a lot of jews too

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
refs knew

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I reiterate: stupid people should not have children.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Sleepovers at like another kid's house are totally normal but it's super weird to have a sleepover at a coach or teacher's house. I'm 100% sure that any adult that doesn't have children of their own involved who wants to have a bunch of kids stay over at his house is a pedophile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04KQydlJ-qc

• Locked thread