Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I've never done this, but nobody was doing a thread for this game so consider this a placeholder until someone more competent takes the time to do one. Mostly I just wanted to see if other goons are playing this. It will be very general for now and I'll do my best to clean things up while adding more helpful information.

:siren: Game is here! :siren:

Pricing
Standard Edition: $19.99
Deluxe Edition: $29.99

DELUXE ONLY: The Deluxe Edition includes the base game, official soundtrack, digital art book, and two masks for PAYDAY 2.

Game Summary
Dead by Daylight (henceforth referred to as DbD) is being published by Starbreeze Studios, who you may recognize from such titles as The Chronicles of Riddick (both games), The Darkness, and the much more recent Payday 2. The game is being developed by Behavior Interactive, known for such timeless classics as Jersey Devil, Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked, and Spongebob Heropants.

DbD is an asymmetrical multiplayer horror game that pits four defenseless (mostly) survivorfolk against one serial murderman. The survivors' primary objective is to escape. They do this by scouring the map for a number of generators which they must repair before they can open the doors blocking their escape. The killer must prevent this by murdering them, obviously.

There is not a whole lot of backstory to the game as of now from what I can tell. The survivors are people who went missing in a forest on separate occasions and found themselves in the domain of The Entity and his minions AKA the killers. The Entity seems to be some sort of eldritch abomination from parts unknown that demands sacrifice for reasons unknown. The killers currently have no backstory and they exist for the express purpose of murdering folk for The Entity. The game aims to use a number of horror genre tropes to set the mood, so you'll definitely find yourself in situations reminiscent of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Friday the 13th. From the music to the aesthetics, I think the game does a drat good job of making you feel like you're in an old-school slasher flick.

Killer Gameplay: WIP

The beta features only one killer, The Trapper. Two more killers, The Wraith and The Hillbilly, will be available upon release.

As the killer you patrol the map looking for survivors so that you can hack them up and ultimately sacrifice them to The Entity. Striking a survivor once puts them in a wounded state and striking them again puts them on the ground. Once you've knocked a survivor to the ground you can pick them up and bring them to a meat hook where, if they are not rescued, they will be consumed by The Entity. You are invulnerable and you move slightly faster than a sprinting survivor; however, you can be stunned and slowed down. Your disadvantages are that you play in first person with a limited, locked FOV and it takes you for loving ever to do literally anything other than walk.

The Trapper's special power/ability is that he can place bear traps around the map to catch unaware survivors. These alert you when a survivor has been caught, hold them in place while they attempt to escape, and put them in a wounded state if they manage to escape.

General Killer Tips
Killer specific tips will be split up when people have actually played the other killers.

-Quick kills reward you with less points. As a killer the game rewards you more for playing with your food, basically. Letting wounded survivors escape, get rescued, and heal up allows you to do the whole dance over again for more points. This is part of what makes playing the killer hard and playing it well even harder, but remember that the game's definition of winning and losing is very loose. As long as you're earning points you're never really losing.

-Consider giving up a couple of generators. There are more than the survivors need. Reducing the area that you're trying to control will make it easier to cover generators.

-Interrupting survivor actions automatically puts them on your shoulder.

-Adding to the previous tip; if a survivor is making a bee-line for a hook rescue consider holding your attack until they begin the unhook animation. A full health survivor can tank a hit and unhook someone during your attack cooldown. Interrupting them puts two survivors under your control.

-Camping a hooked survivor is a bit controversial. People say "good" killers don't do it which is sort of true and sort of not. Hook camping guarantees that you get a kill and some points, but you can no longer hit/trap/hook/sacrifice that survivor and potential points are lost (see the first tip). In addition to that, good survivors will be happily repairing generators for free while you're camping. 3 survivors will easily repair 3 generators in the time it takes for a full sacrifice to run through. However, the game has just been released which means everybody sucks for now. Getting a hook almost always means there's someone nearby about to go for a rescue. This can often lead to an easy double kill or more for you. Hook camping will become less rewarding as both killers and survivors get better at the game, but for now I say go for it.

Trapper Tips
-Place traps in tall grass or at choke points. Both is ideal.

-Placing a trap on one side of a wooden pallet (dropped or not) can also be a good idea. Most survivors don't notice them while you're chasing them and even if they do they have to change directions and potentially run back into you. Pallets typically don't have tall grass immediately on either side of them, so your trap will likely be visible.

-The Killer Shack has tall grass immediately outside. Survivors like to hug walls while trying to juke you so it may be a better idea to trap this grass rather than the window where your trap is completely visible.

Wraith Tips
-You cloak, but really you're still pretty visible. It basically looks like the Hidden from Hidden: Source or the predator shimmer. Don't just go walking around in front of survivors because they'll see you. I like to go to the general area I think survivors might be and then constantly hug line-of-sight breaking terrain to get around people.

-Cloaking removes your terror radius (heartbeat sound), but when close to survivors they can still hear you making some goofy growling sounds which will give you away.

-While cloaked you have increased movespeed, but while cloaking it decreases and while uncloaking it decreases even more. On top of this your bell gives you away and on top of THAT cloaking/decloaking takes about 2 or 3 seconds which gives survivors plenty of time to hear you and start booking it away.

-Wraith won't get many (or sometimes any) kills because he's kind of bad honestly, but there's one thing he's good at. Gettin' points. Wraith is straight up point city. Your deviousness will max in nearly every match you play not to mention any other points you get. So oddly enough he's actually the best for farming.

Hillbilly Tips
-Hillbilly is all about the rushdown. Controlling him while chainsaw sprinting is tough, but once you learn it you'll be zooming across the map in no time. Actually hitting survivors with it takes a little more practice. Don't fall into the trap of relying on your chainsaw to down people. Sometimes it's better to just use your regular swing.

-You can rev your chainsaw without sprinting. If you keep right-clicking you can juggle the chainsaw meter until the right moment to let it loose.

-Chainsaw sprinting into a downed pallet will destroy the pallet more quickly than breaking it with your foot. You can't do this at point blank so you need to take a few steps back to actually break it. Keep in mind though that stopping, revving your chainsaw from empty, and then hitting the pallet will actually end up more time consuming than just kicking it.

Survivor Gameplay: WIP

As a survivor you've got to sneak around the map and repair five randomly placed power generators. Once all five have been repaired you have to expose yourself for a bit while you open the door and leave. If you're caught by the killer he will put you on his shoulder and attempt to take you to a meat hook. While being carried you can wiggle around to disrupt the killer's movement and attempt to break free. If you wind up on a hook it's essentially up to the other survivors to come get you. There's a bloodpoint incentive to helping each other, but it is not required and there will be times when you will be Left 4 Dead left behind. Technically you can attempt to get off the hook on your own, but the chance to succeed is quite small and failing will greatly reduce the remaining time until sacrifice. At the halfway mark you must struggle by mashing the space bar to delay sacrifice and you can no longer attempt to free yourself. If you choose not to struggle, then you will immediately die.

Your primary advantage is that you play in third person. You can vault over obstacles and hide rather easily thanks to the killer's tunnel vision.

There are skill checks while performing most actions. It's basically a QTE that you have to pass or else you gently caress up and make a loud noise. A circle with a spinning arrow appears and you have to hit space to stop the arrow in the designated area. A sound will play to warn you before every skill check, but the "pass" area will change. You cannot ignore these.

All survivors perform exactly the same without items or perks. More information will be added later.

Survivor Tips
These are all subject to change depending on what perks you have.

-Try not to sprint unless you're sure it's safe. Sprinting makes you much more visible at a distance and it also leaves behind some glowing scratch marks that the killer can use to track you for a time.

-Don't throw down the wooden pallets unless you're sure you have to. The killer can smash them and they don't respawn.

-Multiple people can repair a single generator at a time. This increases repair speed and nets you some extra points for a cooperative action. Personally I will move on if someone is already working on a generator because if the killer finds you, then you have to scatter which means at best 50% of your team is now accomplishing nothing. It's up to your discretion though. Points are always nice.

-Multiple people can heal someone at a time. Healing is already quite fast and co-op heals are lightspeed so not much time is wasted. I do it. Points, nice, etc.

-Consider keeping medkits for yourself. Healing someone without it doesn't take much time. With a medkit you can play decoy and draw the killer's attention. You're able to tank a hit, juke, heal yourself up a little, juke away again if he finds you, rinse and repeat until you're healed.

Progression, Bloodpoints, and the Bloodweb: WIP

You have a Survivor Rank and Killer Rank which improve based on your performance. Each rank has a number of empty spaces and pips fill them up if you play well. Once you earn enough pips you move to the next rank. Pips can be lost.

The bloodweb is a series of nodes set up sort of like the sphere grid in Final Fantasy X. At each of these nodes is one of many items, item add-ons, offerings, and perks of various rarity. To activate these nodes you spend bloodpoints, which you earn by performing various tasks during a match. The bloodweb itself is randomly generated and as you progress past level 10 The Entity begins consuming inactive nodes which introduces some decision making to your progression. Each character has their own individual bloodweb and inventories are not shared. Bloodpoints cannot be lost.

I will add more information about the various items and perks here at a later point in time.

Footage and Dev Diaries
Launch Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGhIXLO3ul8

Hillbilly Reveal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-2aTXYV0nQ

Dev Diaries
The Game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9FMwsbsQek
The Survivors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtu153S5y6o
The Killers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS3DvvOQI04
The Metagame: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM05xDLMnxQ
The Beta: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ4arJxWbBw

Dev Streams
May 12th Stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4UnwDtgOJA
May 19th Stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1VhhBBgR8M
May 26th Stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6TI-BPmvP4
June 2nd Stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1dF7wOjj_g
June 9th Stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tczK9EsQa4w

The game is getting a fair amount of attention on twitch. I don't think I need to explain how loving excruciating twitch personalities are so view at your own risk.

Miscellaneous Stuff: WIP
-So far there isn't anywhere you can sit down and read through all the game mechanics. The Devs are apparently going to add information to their website at launch, and there is actually a wiki but it's a work in progress. This means that for now almost all gameplay info and tips posted here are things I learned from personal experience so I might be downright wrong about some of it. Feel free to critique and correct me as we all learn more about the game.

-Don't forget that you don't really lose, you just earn less points if you have a bad match. Try to think of each round as a learning experience rather than getting frustrated when you inevitably get absolutely clowned on by really good players. I guess you can ignore this if you have a hard-on for being a highly ranked player.

-There is no communication in-game except for the pre-game lobby. It's actually way more fun and balanced this way (in my personal opinion), but regardless you must use Mumble/Discord/whatever for voice chat.

-Killer is a little underpowered right now. Survivors can rescue and heal each other very quickly. Sometimes they can juke you indefinitely unless you're very crafty. Learn when to let someone go.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Alienware is giving away a few thousand keys so some of you guys might be able to get your hands on them.

Link: https://na.alienwarearena.com/giveaways/dead-by-daylight-closed-beta-giveaway

All gone.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 7, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So this is just evolve by another name.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Sort of? It doesn't really play like Evolve other than the fact that it has the same number of players. I'm assuming you're saying that because you think Evolve was bad (it wasn't, at first). However, you'll find that they are more different then they are the same. It's up to the devs whether it becomes a complete poo poo-show like Evolve did.

The price tag is also much more reasonable.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i watched this being played and it seemed like a really lovely, grimdark version of tag

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Played a couple hours over the past few days as both killer and survivor, and it's interesting. There's some real good tense moments, but I don't know if it'll have any real staying power, I can see it getting pretty repetitive fast.

I don't think it's much like Evolve at all (I've actually had fun with this) outside of "is asymmetric versus", a genre which has had both awful and great games, and has the low price point going for it, something Evolve hosed up on majorly. If this was full price, I'd be out no question, but it's been an entertaining diversion so far. Try to get in the beta, see what you think, I'm having a hard time falling on either side of recommend / not recommend.

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Nabbed myself a beta key and downloading now but I'll probably never actually buy the game when it comes out.

Same thing happened with Evolve. I enjoyed the beta plenty but not enough to buy the drat thing.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

metricchip posted:

I enjoyed the beta plenty but not enough to buy the drat thing.

Why buy the milk when the cow is free?

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
I absolutely love being the killer. Even if it is gimped, so long as I get at least one person on the hook I am happy. :henget: Can't handle the stress of being a survivor. And sacrificing to an Eldritch abomination makes it even sweeter.

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 7, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Game's fun stuff and asymmetrical versus in general is a cool concept.

Also "Learn when to let someone go." is indeed really good advice. If a survivor's being a shithead and just trying to bait you to slowly come after them through windows and whatever, intentionally or not they're stalling you out, so instead stroll off to find one of their pals who's not in as good of a spot, even if you only manage to shoo people away from objectives, it's making better use of your time.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 7, 2016

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Unless there's a useful item there doesn't seem to be any point trying to rescue someone. If you knew which hook he was going to and could sabotage any traps great otherwise you just serve yourself up on a plate and the survivor gets eaten in 20 seconds.

Saying that the killer feels at a fair disadvantage if the survivors don't make obvious mistakes. Finding them is time consuming, chasing them is time consuming and ineffective if they aren't wounded, laying traps is time consuming etc.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jun 7, 2016

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
This is one of those weird games where the concept is really cool, and the game play is fun, but the developers throw so many loving obstacles in the way of having fun that it just ruins it.

1) Items are consumable; once you use them once you don't get them again until you level up through the "bloodweb" and get that consumable again. Like it's cool if the items were consumed in game and then you could equip them between matches but drat, what's the logic in this one? This is excusable, even if I think it's stupid.

2) You can only play with friends in a group of five (or you have a stupid 3/2v1 match) -- you can't pick up randos for your missing slots, or have four survivors vs. a rando killer, etc. Full group or piss off. This is really inexcusable. What the gently caress kind of a design is that? Just so bizarre that this would be a decision they make.

3) Even if you do get a group of four friends, you get no XP for playing with them. The only way to level up is playing in groups of complete randos.

And then currently, beta keys are given out in groups of four, but you need five to play. Why? Myself and two others had to make new steam accounts, sit in the queue for keys again, then all sign up + the one person we had to leave out. Just a bizarre decision.

Anyway, since I have a spare key, here: 4CZPB-X0AF0-DQJ68

That said, even though a lot of the decisions made by devs are dumb, the game is really fun. It's just stupid that they make it so difficult to play with your friends, when the entire point of the game is co-op vs. one. I played for a solid four hours with people I know and we had an absolute blast taking turns being the killer and spooking the gently caress out of each other.

It's really fun as a group but unless they fix the grouping it's not going to be a buy for me. If we could group together in like groups of 2-3 and then queue into a game with randos, I think we'd probably all buy it immediately, but as it stands there's no point. I tried a few games with randos and it got super repetitive, super fast; a lot of the fun for me was being able to chat and strategize with friends over Discord while playing, yelling at the killer and/or spooking people as the killer, and when that's removed (there's no emotes or even chat system in the game) you can't communicate at all and the game basically turns into every-man-for-himself rather than co-op.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tenzarin posted:

Why buy the milk when the cow is free?

who's going to pay for pasture for the cow and actually go out and milk it? and youd better have a machine to homogenize it too just to be safe

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
also cows smell really bad. i'll take the milk, please

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

It's really fun as a group but unless they fix the grouping it's not going to be a buy for me. If we could group together in like groups of 2-3 and then queue into a game with randos, I think we'd probably all buy it immediately, but as it stands there's no point.

From what I read on the steam forums they're adding exactly this to the full release.

edit: From their FAQ here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/471230/discussions/0/350532795330566161/

Also you can find items ingame, there's chests that spawn them. Not terribly easy to notice, I think it's just items and not perks/etc. and I do agree the consumable system is bad, but for what its worth. One of those things that took me a while of playing to realize.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 8, 2016

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

From what I read on the steam forums they're adding exactly this to the full release.

That's good to hear. Will wait to see; if they do, I'll probably buy it.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Yardbomb posted:

Also "Learn when to let someone go." is indeed really good advice. If a survivor's being a shithead and just trying to bait you to slowly come after them through windows and whatever, intentionally or not they're stalling you out, so instead stroll off to find one of their pals who's not in as good of a spot, even if you only manage to shoo people away from objectives, it's making better use of your time.

Had some 4-kill wins as killer this morning and this right here is the key. If someone gets to an area they can vault rapidly, just leave, they'll have to come to the objectives eventually.

Along the same lines, the best thing as a killer is taking advantage of people trying to be heroes and going for bad rescue attempts. Don't be that guy as survivor, as long as the guy on the hook isn't trying to escape himself, you have plenty of time and can wait for the killer to go far away before rescuing. If not, hey he's standing around a long time waiting for someone to die while your team is doing the objectives.

Also as killer, keep in mind your melee range is really, really short, don't swing until you're right up on them or you've just given them space for nothing.

The more I play of this, the more I like it a whole lot. I still have worries about if it'll be repetitive or won't have enough players, but what's here is a ton of fun and a pretty novel concept for a game, I think, I can't think of any other games that are multiplayer slasher flicks.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Also as killer, keep in mind your melee range is really, really short, don't swing until you're right up on them or you've just given them space for nothing.

The lunge can get some pretty great finishing hits off though, you just gotta make sure you're in a good spot to wind up for it.

The more I play of this, the more I like it a whole lot. I still have worries about if it'll be repetitive or won't have enough players, but what's here is a ton of fun and a pretty novel concept for a game, I think, I can't think of any other games that are multiplayer slasher flicks.

Also same deal here, even just in the beta/demo/whatever I'm enjoying it a whole lot, plus when I get a chance to play the other killers that'll add some more good variation to the game as well. That and there'll be two more major settings in the full thing, with their four map permutations as well.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 9, 2016

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
This game is stupid fun and I love how the community will sacrifice everything to get everyone out. I had a round with pubbies where one guy got hooked and just as we are about to leave one person stops then starts running back. Queue all of us trying to distract the killer while someone takes him off the hook. We ended up getting out but it was ridiculously close at the end.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
There is a perk you can get as the killer that makes it so the heartbeat doesn't sound when you are nearby and stationary. It is fun to hook one and wait around a corner for some foolishly noble soul to come and save them. The main problem is that it is too easy/fast to unhook someone.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

I have been having an ungodly amount of fun with this game. :black101:

One thing that's confusing me is the skull on dead survivors, though. Sometimes it shows as a "blazing" skull, sort of. Seems like this happens when they're sacrificed. Other times it's just a normal-looking skull. Does anyone know the difference between the two?
My guess is that the normal skull is when they die by non-sacrificial means but I don't know how that would happen? Had it happen to a survivor without me touching him. Did he have a stroke? :confused:

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

You're right that typically the normal skull is for non-sacrifice deaths. It also happens sometimes when they've been downed and then disconnect.

Also for anyone wondering, toolbox is getting nerfed on released. Furthermore they've confirmed that a number of bugs have been fixed for release, but they aren't bothering to implement these fixes in the beta because it's ending so soon.

I'll be adding more info to OP soon. I've just been very lazy.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Blazing skull is when you've killed them.

Normal skull is if they left via esc -> leave match, which is actually okay and fine because you still get points for whatever you did to them.

DC'ing makes a pulled plug sign, which is the bitch move right now because it saves your precious fragile ego rank and it's how some of the scummier pubbies have gotten to rank 1 survivor and yet are still completely clueless.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Is this going to be like Evolve where I really want to be the killer but end up getting set as a survivor 100% of the time?

At any rate I'm on the fence, I've been bitten before but I love slasher stuff.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

You can choose to be the killer every time. You host a lobby when choosing the killer.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Game isn't bad. I haven't run into many bugs yet, which is nice. I'm not overly fond of the consumable items thing because it can really gently caress with a match when everyone brings certain things along, but that is this or that.

I'll certainly be interested to see how the addition of new killers and how it changes the game. Evolve suffered from precisely one monster being any fun to play/play against so it ended up being dumb. If the other two are fun as well then it's not too bad.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
The main problem with Trapper is that his gimmick can be avoided just by being careful (which if you are sneaking around you likely already are being). But I love watching him slowly wipe off his blade every time you get a hit.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

ShadowMoo posted:

The main problem with Trapper is that his gimmick can be avoided just by being careful (which if you are sneaking around you likely already are being). But I love watching him slowly wipe off his blade every time you get a hit.

From what I've seen of streamers that are legit rank 1 and stuff, they tend to stick them outside/inside the windowsills every jackass knows to bail to by this point. Often enough they're more of a thing to ruin the spots where you truly can't hope to chase people down, than purely for catching inattentive people.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

From what I've seen of streamers that are legit rank 1 and stuff, they tend to stick them outside/inside the windowsills every jackass knows to bail to by this point. Often enough they're more of a thing to ruin the spots where you truly can't hope to chase people down, than purely for catching inattentive people.

I rarely bother with window/doorway traps just because they are so obvious and only really catch people that are booking it away from you. Generally speaking I'll just drop them on one of the entry paths to a generator or hook, a little further away. It doesn't normally get a hit, but it's also not blindingly obvious.

The other thing is just to flat out block off entrances and make people either stop or go around, but the traps take so long to set that I don't see much use in that.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I played a bit of this just now and... it feels good, but I'm afraid for it. That being said, I could go for a few tips:

For one, when should I ever attempt an escape if hooked? And two, should I even bring items if I can get chests? On the killer side of things, when do the scratches show up? Feels random. Also, since it's just Trapper, do we just set the traps near objectives or try to be creative and block off routes? And finally, is the Cow Tag even worth a slot? A lot more questions but mainly those.

Can't wait for the Hillbilly if only for the fact I get to say "Y'got a purdy mouth" when I hook people.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

widespread posted:

For one, when should I ever attempt an escape if hooked? And two, should I even bring items if I can get chests? On the killer side of things, when do the scratches show up? Feels random. Also, since it's just Trapper, do we just set the traps near objectives or try to be creative and block off routes? And finally, is the Cow Tag even worth a slot?

If you're hooked, I've heard the chance is 10% to get off it yourself.

Bringing items is just kind of what you feel like. Boxes won't always have good stuff either.

Scratches show up if someone's been moving quicker around there, they don't last particularly long either, so sniff em out when you find those.

Cow Tag is just a consumable that'll force the map to be the stock yard.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

EDIT: ^^^ RIP

widespread posted:

I played a bit of this just now and... it feels good, but I'm afraid for it. That being said, I could go for a few tips:

For one, when should I ever attempt an escape if hooked? And two, should I even bring items if I can get chests? On the killer side of things, when do the scratches show up? Feels random. Also, since it's just Trapper, do we just set the traps near objectives or try to be creative and block off routes? And finally, is the Cow Tag even worth a slot? A lot more questions but mainly those.

Can't wait for the Hillbilly if only for the fact I get to say "Y'got a purdy mouth" when I hook people.

The scratches happen when survivors sprint. They're super helpful when in a chase or just to sniff out a careless survivor.

Personally I like putting traps down in tall grass near chokepoints leading to objectives, generally the side paths. This usually bags at least one survivor. Sometimes I've had some luck putting one on the first landing of the stairs into the murderbasement when I have someone hooked down there.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

People are so strange. I have seen a lot of people on the Web listing "the killer moves faster than the survivors" as a reason why the game sucks. Guys, how is he supposed to catch anyone any other way?

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

People don't think about balance. Here's what probably happened:

Survivor gets spotted.

Survivor runs in a straight line sprinting the entire time.

Survivor gets caught because they used none of their advantages to get away.

Survivor posts pissy message on forums complaining about how it's "impossible to get away because the killer moves faster".

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
This is an interesting premise but "locked FOV as a gameplay mechanic" instantly guaranteed I would never be willing to play it.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

People don't think about balance. Here's what probably happened:

Survivor gets spotted.

Survivor runs in a straight line sprinting the entire time.

Survivor gets caught because they used none of their advantages to get away.

Survivor posts pissy message on forums complaining about how it's "impossible to get away because the killer moves faster".

Survivor also doesn't know that one Very Rare trinket makes the Trapper loving awesome.

Honing Stone. Makes every trap you put down fatal to Survivors. Shame I lost it already.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This is an interesting premise but "locked FOV as a gameplay mechanic" instantly guaranteed I would never be willing to play it.

Just a beta, I want to say.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

I've been noticing this thing when there's only one survivor left:

1 Generator or ????
There's no marker showing where or what the latter thing is, so I'm not sure how to deal with it as the killer. Has anyone seen / used the rightmost option?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
That's the hatch. You can escape from it when there is one survivor left.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Removing the lock would completely change the balance of the game, and it's part of what makes things interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

That's the hatch. You can escape from it when there is one survivor left.

So either find the hatch or find the exit? As it is, finding the hatch is much harder than finding the exit somehow.

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Removing the lock would completely change the balance of the game, and it's part of what makes things interesting.

After some thought, yeah the FOV is fine. Plus the Killer is supposed to be a narrowminded murder person, so it thematically fits.

• Locked thread