Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I hope those drug dealers have guns to defend themselves from a crazy president.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/w...ll-drug-dealers

quote:

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine president-elect has encouraged the public to help him in his war against crime, urging citizens with guns to shoot and kill drug dealers who resist arrest and fight back in their neighbourhoods.

In a nationally televised speech late Saturday, Rodrigo Duterte told a huge crowd in the southern city of Davao that Filipinos who help him battle crime will be rewarded.

“Please feel free to call us, the police, or do it yourself if you have the gun — you have my support,” Duterte said, warning of an extensive illegal drug trade that involves even the country’s police.

If a drug dealer resists arrest or refuses to be brought to a police station and threatens a citizen with a gun or a knife, “you can kill him,” Duterte said. “Shoot him and I’ll give you a medal.”

The 71-year-old Duterte won the May 9 presidential election on a bold promise to end crime and corruption within six months of the start of his presidency. That vow resonated among crime-weary Filipinos, though police officials considered it campaign rhetoric that was impossible to accomplish.

Human rights watchdogs have expressed alarm that his anti-crime drive may lead to widespread rights violations.

Duterte, a longtime Davao mayor, has been suspected of playing a role in many killings of suspected criminals in his city by motorcycle-riding assassins known as the “Davao death squads,” but human rights watchdogs say he has not been criminally charged because nobody has dared to testify against him in court.

“They go back again crucifying the Filipino,” he said. “I won’t agree to that.”

If you’re still into drugs, I will kill you, don’t take this as a joke. I’m not trying to make you laugh, son of a bitch, I will really kill you,” Duterte said to loud jeers and applause.

The foul-mouthed former government prosecutor said crimes were committed by law enforcers because of “extreme greed and extreme need.” He said that he would provide a small amount to an officer who was tempted because his wife has cancer or a mother died, but that those who would break the law because of extreme greed “will also be dealt with by me. I’ll have you killed.”

Duterte, who starts his six-year presidential term on June 30, repeated a plan to offer huge bounties to those who can turn in drug lords, dead or alive.

While it remains to be seen what will happen to his threats when he takes office, some policemen have heeded his call for a tougher anti-crime approach.

In suburban Las Pinas city in the Manila metropolis, police have apprehended more than 100 minors who defied a night curfew, and men who were either having drinking sprees in public or roaming around shirtless in violation of a local ordinance. The crackdown was dubbed “Oplan Rody” — after Duterte’s nickname — or “Rid the Streets of Drinkers and Youth.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

If the US had annexed the Philippines, it still wouldn't be as bad as Florida.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no to philippine statehood.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
se asia hates drugs almost as much as the us loves them

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Wait until he finds out how much worse prohibition makes the drug problem

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Not surprising considering his public support for the davao death squads. The guy likes himself some vigilantism, that's for sure.

Clearly the best way to fight crime is obviously with more crime. Fight fire with fire and all.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Windows 98 posted:

Wait until he finds out how much worse prohibition makes the drug problem

Maybe the Phillipines will depopulate itself

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

philippines sounds fuckin cool

A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug
Just make drugs illegal, problem solved. smdh

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Fire Barrel posted:

Not surprising considering his public support for the davao death squads. The guy likes himself some vigilantism, that's for sure.

Clearly the best way to fight crime is obviously with more crime. Fight fire with fire and all.

Is it still crime of the state lets you do it?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
drugs

cool, good

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Parallax Scroll posted:

philippines sounds fuckin cool

It is. Except for the loving heat. But the food and the ladies make up for it tbh.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

the killa, in manilla

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

natetimm posted:

Is it still crime of the state lets you do it?

Good point. Guess you can strap up and form posses at will!

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Asian Trump!

A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug

Wedemeyer posted:

It is. Except for the loving heat. But the food and the ladies make up for it tbh.
Ladies or dickladies??? This is important

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Methanar posted:

I hope those drug dealers have guns to defend themselves from a crazy president.

isn't this the guy that was made mayor of the third most dangerous city in the world, set up death squads that targeted gangs, and now it's safe af or was that another guy who's running for prez somewhere

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
nvm i read the op thanks for NOT bolding the parts about a mayor setting up badass motorcycle death squ7ads you piuece of poo poo op

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Tumble posted:

Asian Trump!

build a wall around the pacific and make the merpeople pay for it

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Robo Reagan posted:

isn't this the guy that was made mayor of the third most dangerous city in the world, set up death squads that targeted gangs, and now it's safe af or was that another guy who's running for prez somewhere

Manila isn't safe, if that's what you're thinking. Neither is Davao. Cebu's aight.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

A CISHET SHITLORD posted:

Ladies or dickladies??? This is important

Like, lady ladies? I don't know I don't go to the red light places. My fam stuffs me full of food and I can't walk that far. But like if you look there can be a special Lady Dick for you..... ;) ;) ;)

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Did he mention if foreigners are welcome to come shoot people? Wanna bag me a drug dealer.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rahu posted:

Did he mention if foreigners are welcome to come shoot people? Wanna bag me a drug dealer.

this is an important question that i feel needs to be addressed

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014
This just in!

Philippine drug dealers encourage the killing of politicians in response to:

Methanar posted:

Edit: Philippine drug dealers encourage the killing of politicians

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

quote:

The 71-year-old Duterte

quote:

While it remains to be seen what will happen to his threats when he takes office, some policemen have heeded his call for a tougher anti-crime approach.

In suburban Las Pinas city in the Manila metropolis, police have apprehended more than 100 minors who defied a night curfew, and men who were either having drinking sprees in public or roaming around shirtless in violation of a local ordinance. The crackdown was dubbed “Oplan Rody” — after Duterte’s nickname — or “Rid the Streets of Drinkers and Youth.”

Fuckin' youths! :argh:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

my grandpa likes Duterte because he's a tough guy like James Cagney.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Methanar posted:

playing a role in many killings of suspected criminals in his city by motorcycle-riding assassins known as the “Davao death squads,”

loving rad

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Where can I get good Lumpia in Redmond/Kirkland, WA?

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
so can you like shoot whoever and just say you thought they were a drug dealer? because thats what it sounds like

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

The Rage posted:

Where can I get good Lumpia in Redmond/Kirkland, WA?

knock on a door

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

go to the hospital and follow a nurse home and then knock on her door and politely ask when the next fiesta is

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

JiveHonky posted:

so can you like shoot whoever and just say you thought they were a drug dealer? because thats what it sounds like

seems like an easy way to get rid of rival drug dealers without having to worry about cops

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

you look like you might be a drug dealer

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

normally i would poo poo my pants if i ever saw a drug man doing weed crimes, but phillapeeno drug men are probably comically tiny and probably could be hunted by their betters

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe

ScrotoTurboSperg posted:

normally i would poo poo my pants if i ever saw a drug man doing weed crimes, but phillapeeno drug men are probably comically tiny and probably could be hunted by their betters

Yeah but before ya know it they hit you with that Dim Mak and leave you wheezin in them muddy streets

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I didn't read the thread but as an above average citizien, it would be cool if the president allowed you to kill other kind of dealers like car dealers.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to inject a weed and then steal my dealer's supply but then kill him for the reward. I will then resell what I have stolen and after selling it I will kill my buyers that way my stock will increase in value and I'll have a constant stream of medals and income. It's the perfect anti-crime!

God drat that sounds dark as gently caress.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

JiveHonky posted:

its the philippines so i assume the cops are alsoi in on the drug trade in which case just give them some money after killing someone and you're fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Ben Smash posted:

I'm going to inject a weed and then steal my dealer's supply but then kill him for the reward. I will then resell what I have stolen and after selling it I will kill my buyers that way my stock will increase in value and I'll have a constant stream of medals and income. It's the perfect anti-crime!

God drat that sounds dark as gently caress.

Yeah great buddy then after a year you can build like, I dunno, a freaking hut out of your phillipinean murder medals and live in it with your husband.

• Locked thread