Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Poil posted:

I'm not sure you can successfully whale in small one-man crafts. It might be a little bit dangerous.

My (limited) understanding of whaling is that most of the hunt was done from small 1-5 man craft de[ployed from a flagship. sure it's dangerous. But well. Idf it's coastal the smaller boats are totally valid.

City States being hostile tends to only happen near their borders. Most of the time they're more annoying than actually dangerous.

Edit: Fargle also demonstrated why order of operations is important. because with Austria peaced out, I would say it is totally worth having the crossbows out of action for 3-5 turns in exchange for logistics.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jun 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Haha Jesus Christ, you just can't catch a break in this France game.

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009
Look on the bright side, once you get railroads you will be able to ping pong your armies around faster.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
Ain't it just the best when a video game abandons all pretense of playing fair?

I'm not anything resembling a Civ expert - how did you get into this mess? From what little I know I would suppose the tug-of-war over Moscow is a big part of it?

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Yes, the Moscow tug-of-war is a big part of why he's getting hated by the AI, plus he has two different Warmonger penalties, and if Cathy wants to win by Domination, she has to get her Capital back. The fact that Fargle didn't just wipe her entirely during the second French and Russian war is a contributing cause to his pain now. That, along with declaring on an Alex that didn't really seem to have an intention of declaring again, has kind of screwed him.

I could be wrong about Alex not planning on declaring again, Haile did share intrigue with Fargle shortly before Fargle declared, which may have said that Alex was plotting against him.

EDIT: And Austria's coming back for round 2! I think Fargle may not win this one guys. I think part of the reason Austria keeps on declaring war on Fargle is because he let Maria place Linz behind his borders, so now that Maria wants to connect Linz to her other cities, there's this big blob of French territory in the way, which she wants to get rid of.

EDIT2: And now Haile's getting in on the dog pile... How long until Dito or Kamehameha join?

ZeButler fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 17, 2016

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I never dreamed my wish for aggressive AI would lead to this.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Anoia posted:

I never dreamed my wish for aggressive AI would lead to this.

Well, are you happy now? He's even got Haile trying to kill him.

Can't wait for the Celts and Dido to declare on him.

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011

ImperialGuard posted:

Ain't it just the best when a video game abandons all pretense of playing fair?

I'm not anything resembling a Civ expert - how did you get into this mess? From what little I know I would suppose the tug-of-war over Moscow is a big part of it?

The big mistake was letting Russia live. Investing several more turns into wiping Russia out would have allowed him to take out Alexander as he planned. I think it's almost always a mistake to let an AI live if you are planning to go all out war, since even a crippled AI can be a massive pain. I think the only exception is if you cripple them enough that another AI civ will finish them off, since then you can liberate one of their cities to bring them back into the game so that they'll love you forever. That gives you someone to trade with when all other civs hate you, and even someone to dump off unwanted cities on instead of burning them down.

psluuthor fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 18, 2016

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013
This is just like the actual wars of the French Revolution and First and Second Coalitions; everyone in the world v France.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

psluuthor posted:

The big mistake was letting Russia live. Investing several more turns into wiping Russia out would have allowed him to take out Alexander as he planned. I think it's almost always a mistake to let an AI live if you are planning to go all out war, since even a crippled AI can be a massive pain. I think the only exception is if you cripple them enough that another AI civ will finish them off, since then you can liberate one of their cities to bring them back into the game so that they'll love you forever. That gives you someone to trade with when all other civs hate you, and even someone to dump off unwanted cities on instead of burning them down.

He could have been fine letting Cathy live if the city he wanted from them hadn't been Moscow. However, since it was Moscow, he has to kill her off, and really should've during the second war.

He wasn't planning on going all out war, he originally intended to do a Culture victory. I think this may end up a domination victory though, if he wins at all.

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011

ZeButler posted:

He could have been fine letting Cathy live if the city he wanted from them hadn't been Moscow. However, since it was Moscow, he has to kill her off, and really should've during the second war.

Well yeah I didn't mean to imply that any hostile action against a civ means you must eliminate them. I meant that if you cripple a civ to the point where they only have 2-3 crappy cities left then you have to eliminate them.

And yeah I know he's going for a culture victory. To put it a different way, if you are planning to be sufficiently warlike to piss several civs off, you can't afford to deal with a crippled AI who can still muster a huge army using AI powers in order to pester you endlessly.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Yeah, I can definitely agree with that second point. He really shouldn't have attacked Alex to start the second Greek war, because, in my opinion, that turned it from a Culture game to a Domination game.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Super glad you folks are really enjoying the game!

I still don't have reliable internet and won't have regular access to it till the end of the month, but I've scheduled in a couple of days this week to stay where I'll have enough upload speed to get the next batch of videos ready. Then once we reach the 29th it'll be back to business as usual.

Moving house sucks. :(

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Just as a heads-up, the audio at the start of Episode 10 of the France game repeats itself. Otherwise I am really enjoying seeing Civ 5 in action.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

More importantly, the playlist appears to link to private videos, despite 9 and 10 being up!

Edit: Almost to the Modern Era - OH YEAH, OBSERVATORY FOR MY CAPITAL
:allears:

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jun 20, 2016

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Will look into that later. Can't edit video stuff on my mobile connection. Don't have the data allowance for it.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Honestly just glad France finally knows what botes are.

Really interested to see how France rockets ahead with culture, haven't watched any episode today but as of E9 (?) things were looking pretty good.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
Thanks for the lunchtime schedule, Fargle. Most convenient! :)

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Frozen_flame posted:

Honestly just glad France finally knows what botes are.

Really interested to see how France rockets ahead with culture, haven't watched any episode today but as of E9 (?) things were looking pretty good.

The way France rockets ahead with Tourism is hotels everywhere. Hotels are amazing with Chateaus, among other things, and can easily get him over the tourism hump. However, he seems to be fighting Alex for a culture victory, or at least the Tourism wonders.

In regards to the episode, poor Austria, crushed under the weight of France and Carthage (mostly Carthage). I'm worried that Dido might turn her attention to gaining some French lands soon though.

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013
That was a real exciting last 15 seconds.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

You found a different way through the happiness problem, but if needed would you have been able to convince Carthage and Austria to make peace?

When you get excited your laughs/shouts can really spike the volume.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I don't think he would've been able to make any sort of peace talks happen, since, when he captured Vienna, he wasn't able to make peace with Austria himself, and Carthage had no reason to agree to peace with Austria, since they were currently curb stomping them.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

ZeButler posted:

I don't think he would've been able to make any sort of peace talks happen, since, when he captured Vienna, he wasn't able to make peace with Austria himself, and Carthage had no reason to agree to peace with Austria, since they were currently curb stomping them.

well, Vienna was their last city and Carthage had enough troops about to likely take it.

Plus Fargle probably learnt his lesson from Russia (burn Rostok)

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Veloxyll posted:

well, Vienna was their last city and Carthage had enough troops about to likely take it.

Plus Fargle probably learnt his lesson from Russia (burn Rostok)

He also was literally unable to make peace because of the deal he had made with Carthage to attack Vienna.

Also, I second this motion, burn Cathy down.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Paying the AI to make peace with someone is useful basically never. The rates for doing it are extortionate and unless you're bribing peaceniks like Gandhi or Haile Selassie they'll probably just turn around and redeclare once the treaty is up. Even if a key city is about to be captured it's usually easier to just turn around and attack the conquerors rather pay the outrageous bribe to get them to back off.

Playlist for the France game has been fixed by the way, Episodes 9 and 10 now show up correctly.

Edit: Here's today's episode!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgjvJdBaTh8

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jun 21, 2016

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

JESUS CHRIST THIS FRANCE GAME

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Oh no someone's been nuked.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Frozen_flame posted:

Oh no someone's been nuked.

Sounds like Fargle is having...a blast!

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Hot off of Youtube's scheduled release system, here's Episode 13!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnrRmVmoavA

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

"In all my time playing Civ I've seen [Ethiopia] declare war once. "

*gets declared on by him twice in one game*

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Alright. Gotta make this announcement here and now. The France game is a loss.

I played up until the point I realised winning was impossible and then called it quits, and that's after reloading my saves a couple of times to try again.

The following are the remaining five episodes, detailing my attempt to cripple Carthage before they win:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV1h1ZkTljY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqMIOW3zXvU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cc1vmnrjOg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHDnRFJY2uI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DABbKJDMfsI

Pretty embarrassed about losing on cam like this to be honest.

Next game up will be Polynesia. I had planned to start it next week but since the results of the France game have moved the schedule up I'll see about trying to get it up and running tomorrow.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Nothing to be embarrassed about, the game felt like it had it in you from the start. Just add in like 20 Giant Death Robots and curbstomp everyone for cartharsis.

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011
I don't think there's any shame in losing when going for a tourism victory on immortal. If you had gone for a military victory instead it seems like you would have won pretty handily.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Also: I take it they changed era from great works, I swear it used to be a case that Great Artists used to be set to the era they spawned in.

Edit: you seemed rather surprised at being counter-nuked.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 22, 2016

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
That was hard fought. No shame in it.
Very entertaining!

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
Great to see you're being such a sport!

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011
Are you using a special map type for Polynesia to show off their unique ability? I am not even sure which map type would be best for that, since archipelago would be best in some ways but would probably pretty much negate the ability as soon as you get optics.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

psluuthor posted:

Are you using a special map type for Polynesia to show off their unique ability? I am not even sure which map type would be best for that, since archipelago would be best in some ways but would probably pretty much negate the ability as soon as you get optics.

You'll just have to wait till tomorrow and see. :p

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
I've been really enjoying this thread, and the OP's European accent (Dutch? German? Irish?) fits so well with the international theme of Civ.

I just hope this LP doesn't get burned out like so many others. Please don't push yourself too much!

sincx fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Right! Well. Not going to let the loss of the France game stop me!

Time to move right on into trying to exploit Polynesia's unique Moai Statues!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB9QblSjSos

• Locked thread