Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Sailor Moon: Another Story is not an amazing game. It is pretty much the only Sailor Moon game not to be a fighting game, beat-em-up, or puzzle game, though*. I know there are a couple of weird exceptions, but c'mon. This franchise has a solid cast of characters, a variety of villains, the anime gave us mooks aplenty, and somehow goddamn Dragon Ball Z has ten more RPGs than Sailor Moon.

As you can see from this much nicer ad copy, it takes place after the full cast** is around, so yeah, you totally get to pal up with all your favorite characters, including The One Who Can End The Universe and The One Who Died But Didn't. It takes place "between" Sailor Moon S and Sailor Moon Super S, so nobody has dated a horse yet, but a kindergartner has already crafted the Holy Grail as an art project***. Don't worry! A lot of this poo poo isn't going to make sense with canon and so it just doesn't. We'll get there as we go.

A note: This fan translation is weeaboo as hell, and this is coming from a dude who is going to earn endless poo poo thrown his way for an in-depth LP of a Sailor Moon RPG. I'll go over a bit of it in the first post, but in general, I'm tossing down the Japanese character names not because they're "right", but because I just re-read the manga recently and that's what they go with, so it's what my brain fills in. I'm toning down some of the dialogue so it sounds like human speech, though.

* I ain't poo poo-talking them, but man, when you think "Sailor Moon", you probably don't think "10 distinct fighting games where schoolgirls pummel each other and most of the villains never show up". Also the puzzle games are fun versus titles.
** Oh, don't worry, I'll get to those other guys. It's cool.
*** Actual Sailor Moon canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

So let's talk about the old days of emulation.

See, back when the emulation scene began, there were slapfights, pissing contests, and a lot of weird counter-productive poo poo going on. One of the bigger fights was ZSNES vs. SNES9X, because of course it was, nobody gave a gently caress about the Genesis. But ZSNES caught on a lot more at first because it sacrificed accuracy for speed, meaning a lot more people could run a lot more games on shittier hardware with it.

The problem is that this meant a lot of early fan translations tested things in ZSNES for "maximum compatibility".

And the end result of this is that now, in 2016, Higan/SNES9X are aiming for hardware accuracy first, everything else second, because we all have goddamn phones that can run a precise emulator now... and so a translation patch made in 1999 fucks up the intro sequence in any accurate emulator or on a flashcart. There's a patch to fix this, and I've applied it so that when we see this sequence again in the middle of the game, it'll display properly, but I just wanted to point out what we're getting into here, and the horrible, turbo-nerd who's running this show.

Anyway. The intro text, as a comet flies through space:

He comes from far away...

From the depths of the darkness, he continues to wander.

Soon, the void of the darkness is interrupted by something...

Throughout this intro sequence, the game's "credits" flash by, which are basically "who did we license this from" and cheap scene transitions.

The darkness is shone upon by the light.

The light covers the darkness, and the darkness is no more.

Then the light and the darkness are one.

The light makes light, and the dark makes darkness.

I seek the darkness, and before long...

...he and I will become one.

Okay, so this game isn't gonna explain poo poo, meaning I'll be your encyclopedia, first-timers.

"Present-day" in the Sailor Moon world was the 90s, and around 2000 or so, our heroine, Usagi "Sailor Moon" Tsukino, the Moon Princess, ushers in "The Silver Millenium", becoming the ruler of the world as Neo Queen Serenity (because the original one was her mother millenia ago... it's weird and we'll get there later), causing an eternal peace, so on. This is some Judgement Day locked-in poo poo, meaning that most villains after the first one go "gently caress the Silver Millenium, we've got to go to the past to wreck that, before the immortal god-queen powers up."

Anyway by the 30th century she's still kicking and that's when most threats to the timeline get spotted. "Crystal" Tokyo is just Tokyo in a giant Fortress of Solitude.

Astronomers of the 30th century have discovered a significant celestial object approaching Earth. It's determined to be a meteor of enormous size.

Everyone watches in fear as the meteor continues on a collision course with Earth. And while all this is happening...

Fun note: various voice clips from the anime are used in battle if you perform special attacks.

An epidemic has begun to spread among the people of the city. Meanwhile, several youths have banded together to form a gang!

I have no idea what that epidemic is. I'm pretty sure it's a mistranslation.

Speaking of, let's get to the worst line in this whole intro:

In search of answers, Neo Queen Serenity begins to pray to the legendary Mystic Silver Crystal, Ginzuishou.

I kind of feel that if you're reading this, you know why this is terrible translation even before I get into the garbage nature of it. But just in case: this is exactly what I mean when I say this patch was written in a horrible weeb-y fashion, and I hope whoever did this years ago is now a little ashamed of having left in lines like this.

(For the record, just because this game plays fast and loose with canon and creates a bunch of new magic stones and poo poo: I'm just gonna call this the Silver Crystal when it shows up in future. Please don't kill me, fans.)

(The Silver Crystal is flipping out on its pedestal. This is represented by a 3-frame animation of it wiggling.)

Also these are Neo Queen Serenity, Prince Endymion (future Tuxedo Mask, prince of Earth), and Diana, who is a future cat and the kitten of those two talking cats you'll see later. Diana will talk during this scene but she actually has no portrait for dialogue in the entire game, which is kind of lovely.

Why is the Silver Crystal vibrating so wildly?
Evil energy has appeared...
It must be incredibly powerful!

And then the cutscene stops making sense.

The Death Phantom has dealt a powerful blow.
...........huh?

This Death Phantom is a new... enemy?

So, why this makes no sense is that the Death Phantom is dead by this point, being the villain of Sailor Moon R (two "seasons" ago), and he doesn't appear in the drat game at all. For the record, that dude is probably one of the most metal villains in the series, being that sometime during the Silver Millenium, this dude reinvents crime and gets teleported to the center of a planet for it. This rather extreme form of punishment fails to stop him from nearly wiping out Crystal Tokyo via time travel.

Blah blah the crystal stops vibrating and they go "Think it's the meteor?" "It's probably the meteor. Let's go check on the past."

MEANWHILE IN THE PAST

These are Usagi Tsukino and Usagi Tsukino. Look, we'll get to this when I get to character profiles. Let's just get through this introduction, I swear to god.

(Two dipshits in jester costumes appear on the Tsukino family home's roof.)

Are these the girls we're looking for, sister?
(chuckling) Yes, this is what we were sent here for. This must be where they live.
Should I spy on them?
It is our Destiny.

Oh, uh. Get used to this translation capitalizing that word for no reason.

Yes, we must try to make Lord Apsu's wish come true.

Okay, so. I've said this fan translation is bad, and I'm sure a lot of that could come down to my fanboy nitpicks, but let's just take a second here. "Lord Apsu".

Y'all, we aren't gonna see Apsu for a while, because she's the final boss, but she's clearly a woman in a bra and dress. Even if you wanna go with honorifics, this should be "Lady" Apsu. I loving hate this patch but I can't read Japanese, so here we are. Welcome to my hell.

Those two disappear and we cut to the two Usagis running like hell towards school, because they are late. Suddenly, Pink Usagi stops.

I just had a vision from the future!

I actually have no idea what the hell is supposed to be happening here. Usagi's sprite begins laughing, but the next line she says is "Yay", and then she teases her daughter about whether or not she'll have a boyfriend.

Oh yeah, that's her daughter. Again: we'll get there.

No, it was about your boyfriend, Mamoru!
Idiot...
It was more important than THAT! It was about a new enemy... (Chibiusa turns and looks solemn.) Some kind of aliens... We're all going to have to work together.

AND THEN USAGI BEGINS LAUGHING AGAIN! What the hell?!

But finally, she transforms in a very lovely sequence of "screen goes black, sprite swaps":

And they got her loving catchphrase wrong!

Look, I'm just saying, if my Engrish-rear end wallet is getting the catchphrase done better than your fan translation, you've hosed up. (For the uninitiated: the line every professional translation goes with is "In the name of the Moon, I'll punish you")

Finally, the title screen comes u-

Man. Not only is that tacky, that is the ugliest goddamn font.

But okay! Let's do it. Let's begin the game proper.

A few things to point out, after our talking cat Luna leaps in through our bedroom window:
- The smiling cat robot on the left is "Luna-P", and functions as our save point.
- The game is framed with the "Sailormoon" outline, uh... from now until endgame, if memory serves. It's entirely possible I'll cut that off in future screenshots, but the batch processing for the opening sequence made that hard to do since it only shows up in gameplay. It sticks around in menus, too, so I'm unsure why the heck that decision was made to just cut off chunks of screen.
- In terms of lazy perspective, putting Usagi's bed in front of a cabinet so that it's unusable is decidedly some half-assed scene design, dudes.
- Similarly: Luna's sprite is real lovely, especially once we see some of the other characters walking around, her 2 color flat appearance is lame.

I sort of gather that these dudes were given a schedule of "You need to get this game out to coincide with the next chunk of the manga beginning", and corners were cut until release. This is gonna get real apparent when the bugs begin to show.

Our first actual gameplay decision is "Get out of bed? Y/N" and rather than be funny with it, it's just a "but thou must" loop. Next time we'll actually get out of bed, and I'll show off how this game works.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
This loving game

I'm glad someone is playing it so I won't have to (again)

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Hell yes Sailor Moon owns I am along for this ride.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
I'd have to play the Japanese version to be sure, but gently caress-ups like 'Lord Apsu' and that one conversation making no sense make me think the translator just translated it as they played, and then never bothered going back and editing it. That was surprisingly common in old fantranslations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Endorph posted:

I'd have to play the Japanese version to be sure, but gently caress-ups like 'Lord Apsu' and that one conversation making no sense make me think the translator just translated it as they played, and then never bothered going back and editing it. That was surprisingly common in old fantranslations.

there's actually a point in the game where you can tell someone else took over the script because they start using different terms for everything and it stays that way until the end

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
As a rather young whelp it still blows my mind how quick the emulation scene started getting results up until the PS2 era.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
also funfact, the translator is clearly a super weeb who wants nothing but adherence to the original Japanese, but they got Michie Tomizawa's name wrong.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Endorph posted:

also funfact, the translator is clearly a super weeb who wants nothing but adherence to the original Japanese, but they got Michie Tomizawa's name wrong.

I just looked up the Japanese rom, and holy poo poo. I did not even think about those being translated. This actually makes me angrier because I presumed that terrible font was used because it was "the only English font in the game by default" or something, but no. Someone chose that godawful typeface.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The sum of my experience of Sailor Moon is that I watched the first 12 episodes of the TV show a few years ago. If I knew it got this crazy, I might have stuck with it.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

END ME SCOOB posted:

I just looked up the Japanese rom, and holy poo poo. I did not even think about those being translated. This actually makes me angrier because I presumed that terrible font was used because it was "the only English font in the game by default" or something, but no. Someone chose that godawful typeface.

They were really smug about it back in the day, too, since not many people could import their own fonts.

Naturally they refused to share tips on how to do it.

I never finished this game. Translation aside, there's that certain point where it just gets especially painful to keep slogging through.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I have played this game and it's funny enough my only experience of the Sailor Moon franchise. I think the premise of it is that girls with sailor inspired shirt, miniskirt, heels and hosed up leg to body length ratio are given superpowers and have to protect the world or something. Actually, I think the outfits are part of the superpowers for some reason. In this game there's a new entity that will both be the heriones' greatest enemy and ally, the damage algorithm.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I played and finished this thing, back when I had way too much free time for my own good. I actually didn't hate it: it's got huge balance issues and the plot is kind of a mess, but it does have one or two neat ideas. Plus I'd only ever watched the first couple of seasons of the show at that point so the game was my first introduction to nearly half the main characters, which was pretty mindblowing to my li'l teenage proto-weeb self.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

FractalSandwich posted:

The sum of my experience of Sailor Moon is that I watched the first 12 episodes of the TV show a few years ago. If I knew it got this crazy, I might have stuck with it.

My wife was big into Sailor Moon when she was a kid so I've picked up quite a bit of second hand knowledge in the last couple of years. It is quite weird and also Sailor Moon (the older one) is a total dumbass.

At any rate, this isn't something I expected to see at the start of my week, though it isn't necessarily unwelcome.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

C-Euro posted:

My wife was big into Sailor Moon when she was a kid so I've picked up quite a bit of second hand knowledge in the last couple of years. It is quite weird and also Sailor Moon (the older one) is a total dumbass.
If you told me she was destined to be the immortal god-queen of humanity I'd think you were making poo poo up to screw with me. That's so silly. Is it always shown directly like it is here, or is it normally only stated and you have to take their word for it? It's the first I've heard of any of this Neo Queen Serenity Silver Milennium Crystal Tokyo time travel poo poo. It's so stupid, I love it.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
This looks terrible and I'm in.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Oh boy. Used to be a fan of the show, but wouldn't really get into this. Interested to see where it was going but not getting my hopes up.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Oh dear. This game, while its a interesting look at sailor moon, is so grinding that I don't think this lp will be finished. Well, good luck.

But on a more positive note, the translator didn't exactly mess up Sailor Moon's catch phase. They just used the one from the DiC dub, or at least it appeared in the dub.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

??? The DiC Dub for all it's terrible editing does use "In the Name of the Moon".

But wow, stuff like this and some of Touhou's literal translation of puns is why I roll my eyes at literalists.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

If you told me she was destined to be the immortal god-queen of humanity I'd think you were making poo poo up to screw with me. That's so silly. Is it always shown directly like it is here, or is it normally only stated and you have to take their word for it? It's the first I've heard of any of this Neo Queen Serenity Silver Milennium Crystal Tokyo time travel poo poo. It's so stupid, I love it.

The second season/second manga arc is about Princess Usagi Small Lady traveling 1000 years into the past to steal Sailor Moon's Silver Crystal because Neo-Queen Serenity's Silver Crystal suddenly disappeared (she wasn't aware at the time that they were the same person) , and rebels from the 10th planet Nemesis used that as an opportunity to nuke the Neo-Queen from orbit. Chibi-Usa traveled though time by making sad puppy dog eyes at Sailor Pluto, the eternal guardian of the Gates of Time and the Underworld. Meanwhile the rebels chase her down using time machines, and try to mess up the past while they're at it. And yes, the heroes do eventually travel to the future to continue the fight there, and Sailor Moon gets to see her future self (though Serenity is in a coma at the time) and get all of this stuff explained to her. There is much blushing on the parts of her and Tuxedo Mask when they discover that yes, they will be having sex, and a child will be the result of it.

And honestly? The storylines after that are even more insane.

Anyway, thoughts on this game. This game isn't very good, though to be fair it isn't the worst anime licensed RPG I've played (that would be the Inuyasha RPG on the DS), and while most of the plot is just irritating and stupid there are a couple of interesting ideas and characters here.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I wonder if it ever struck the rebels as ironic that their planet was named after the personification of divine retribution.

Is there a Sailor Nemesis, then? She sounds like just the kind of gritty antihero that Sailor Moon needs.

I'm sure I'm describing someone's fanfic right now.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 6, 2016

SOLarian
Oct 29, 2012
Pillbug
I think I played trough this game twice when I found it in the early days of the internet. I never knew ZSNES was cutting corners in the emulation, that was always my emulator of choice (chrono trigger was "fun", one of the layers didn't have transparency for a while before they fixed the emulation, made getting through 2300AD interesting..fun times). I actually liked this game. Of course i was a pretty stereotypical weeabo then, and a big Sailor Moon fan, so I guess my opinion was a little bit biased. I'll follow this LP, let's see how much I missremember about it.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Man, I was just shamefully invested in Sailor Moon back when I was about nine years old until I was around twelve (however long it took for them to get to the end of the Sailor Saturn storyline). I never missed an episode back when it was running on Cartoon Network in the late nineties and early aughts, I'll admit it was something of an obsession at the time. When I tried watching it more recently, though, I can't seem to recall what I liked about it. It might be that because the vast majority of kid-focused media at the time was episodic in nature (especially on the two "main" kid channels of Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network), I just ate up anything that presented an ongoing storyline that called for even a small amount of personal investment (I recall seasons 3+ of Reboot and Pirates of Dark Water also being must-see series for me at the time, as some non-anime examples). It was certainly unlike anything I'd seen up to that point. It marked my descent into semi-weebdom (I only say "semi" in that I never had a "rejects all other forms of entertainment/animation as inferior" phase) that lasted right up until high school, when the plots of Naruto and Bleach stalled out and stopped giving screentime to any of the interesting characters, and I realized that lots of anime is actually bad and I should maybe exercise discretion instead of wasting my time on crap.
:goonsay:

Anyway, embarrassing anime confessions aside, I look forward to seeing where this game is going. I remember the overall plot of Sailor Moon making very little sense but making every little thing seem vitally important.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Man, The Pirates of Dark Water was so cool, but they never finished the show, story aside, just the general aesthetics wasn't like anything else on TV - and the ships were just amazing.

I think least for me and lot of other girls at the time is this was a show where the girls did all the fighting and protecting, when other shows you have maybe at best two token female members at best and tend to get kidnapped/put in distress more than the guys.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Robindaybird posted:

Man, The Pirates of Dark Water was so cool, but they never finished the show, story aside, just the general aesthetics wasn't like anything else on TV - and the ships were just amazing.

I think least for me and lot of other girls at the time is this was a show where the girls did all the fighting and protecting, when other shows you have maybe at best two token female members at best and tend to get kidnapped/put in distress more than the guys.

Yeah, that was the big draw for boys, too, in a much different sense. In sixth grade, I recall some of the other boys in my class that watched it pretty bluntly admitting they watched it solely because it was about girls in miniskirts and stuff. Kind of left me the odd man out, since while young me did enjoy that part (I may have had a small crush on Sailor Jupiter :negative:), I was in it mainly for the story.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
My cousin made me watch this when I babysat her. Really makes you wonder just how effective the scouts were without Moon back on the Moon Kingdom if they can't kill the weakest minions without her

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004
As a shameless Sailor Moon cosplayer/fanboy, I'll be looking forward to seeing where this thread goes. Also, for those curious, the current ongoing anime remake is pretty decent and follows the manga a lot more closely than the 90s anime does, for better or worse.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Weed Wolf posted:

As a shameless Sailor Moon cosplayer/fanboy, I'll be looking forward to seeing where this thread goes. Also, for those curious, the current ongoing anime remake is pretty decent and follows the manga a lot more closely than the 90s anime does, for better or worse.

the first season got off to a pretty terrible start - lots of off-model/terrible animation - and the BD "Fixes" ended up looking worse and Usagi ended up coming off as self-centered and obsessive - but I've been hearing they been improving it a lot since then.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I remember back when Sailor Moon first came out in the West, one of my friends at the time telling me about the whole 'god-empress of mankind turning the world into perfect crystal' and thinking, am I the only one who finds that really, really creepy?

FractalSandwich posted:

I wonder if it ever struck the rebels as ironic that their planet was named after the personification of divine retribution.

Is there a Sailor Nemesis, then? She sounds like just the kind of gritty antihero that Sailor Moon needs.

I'm sure I'm describing someone's fanfic right now.

Google 'Sailor Earth'.

Bring popcorn. And padding for the wall for when you inevitably bang your head off it.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Robindaybird posted:

the first season got off to a pretty terrible start - lots of off-model/terrible animation - and the BD "Fixes" ended up looking worse and Usagi ended up coming off as self-centered and obsessive - but I've been hearing they been improving it a lot since then.

because a few of my friends are HUGE Sailor Moon fans they were all over the new series, so I watched a couple episodes. The transformation CG is so loving weird that I ended up wanting to watch the original instead. That and Ami has no sleeves for some reason, what's up with that?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Same OP. Same. Also that child's name is Chibi-USA as in Chibi United States of America and none of you are going to tell me any different. Like, they shrank the US and made it into a small child and packed it to Japan. I don't know poo poo about Sailor Moon and I don't want to, but I'll be reading this anyway just because the title is perfect. Hope that helps.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

the episodes were web-only, and it was pretty clear it was rushed to cash in on the anniversary of the series, thus a lot of animation errors and other wonkiness that should've been caught on the first pass - if that, given some studios now seem to have a "We'll fix it in BD" mentality.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

EclecticTastes posted:

When I tried watching it more recently, though, I can't seem to recall what I liked about it.

The voice acting?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

That's some impressive... talent.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Thank you for doing this. I tried to LP this game once by editing the text to be better as I went along.

I burnt out before we finished the train section.

Also, remember how much the writers of this game hate don't know a thing about the rest of the world as we go along.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

SystemLogoff posted:

Also, remember how much the writers of this game hate don't know a thing about the rest of the world as we go along.

I'm not looking forward to chapter 2 at all.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Yesssss THIS game. I remember suffering through this and using turbo speed to manage to get through...

END ME SCOOB posted:

I'm not looking forward to chapter 2 at all.

...this. I specifically am looking forward to the rant about solo Sailor Mercury :getin:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Really a lot of the DiC edits were pretty drat clumsy, but it added a kind of weird charm to it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Wiseman, the head villain of Sailor Moon R, is probably the most holy poo poo bad guy ever. Seeing that he's not in this game makes me sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

Aces High posted:

because a few of my friends are HUGE Sailor Moon fans they were all over the new series, so I watched a couple episodes. The transformation CG is so loving weird that I ended up wanting to watch the original instead. That and Ami has no sleeves for some reason, what's up with that?

the first two seasons have that really jarring CG animation style, but I was willing to overlook it because the story was so very good. the third (and current) season is much closer to its roots, and returns to hand-drawn transformation scenes and more "natural" character styles.

e: Also, the third season is the best arc with the best characters, and definitely doesn't shy away from sailor uranus' gender fluidity + sexual orientation this time around!

Weed Wolf fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 7, 2016

• Locked thread