Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Huh, Sailor V has (oops, checked birth year, Sailor V's older) my wife has Sailor V's birthday.

Also, now I'm kind of wishing that a game like this had a little stealth section where you actually have to follow your friend around on their date and hide behind plants and other random objects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

The past and the future have changed places.

:psyduck:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Color Printer posted:

The past and the future have changed places.

:psyduck:

I assume it's something like this.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
We're fighting Sin now? I thought this came out before FFX

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Acne Rain posted:

We're fighting Sin now? I thought this came out before FFX

Ten years before it, in fact. :v: Usagi is Braska's Final Aeon.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

Ten years before it, in fact. :v: Usagi is Braska's Final Aeon.

Or Queen Serenity is Yunalesca.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Speaking of, how come Queen Serenity never reincarnated?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Speaking of, how come Queen Serenity never reincarnated?

Because the only reason everyone reincarnated was Queen Serenity sacrificing her own life and using the Crystal to send them all to Earth, iirc.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

esperterra posted:

Because the only reason everyone reincarnated was Queen Serenity sacrificing her own life and using the Crystal to send them all to Earth, iirc.

Pretty much this.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Also it would have been awkward for Usagi to have a human mom and her reincarnated space mom alive at the same time.
Mother's Day would have been very expensive.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Roro posted:

Also it would have been awkward for Usagi to have a human mom and her reincarnated space mom alive at the same time.
Mother's Day would have been very expensive.

I've always thought it would be hilarious for Usagi's mom to be the reincarnation of Space Mom, fully knowing it, and just not giving a gently caress. "Nope, your problem now, honey."

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm a sucker for a good evil counterpart and I honestly think the Opposito Senshi are pretty cool

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

I'm a sucker for a good evil counterpart and I honestly think the Opposito Senshi are pretty cool

They might've been cool if they weren't named "Opposito Senshi".

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hmmm, the opposite of sailors are landlubbers, aren't they? Landlubber Moon?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Poil posted:

The opposite of the Navy is the Air Force, I think. Pilot Moon?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Poil posted:

Landlubber Sun.

Or Airforce Sun.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Lizard Wizard posted:

They might've been cool if they weren't named "Opposito Senshi".

Admittedly, all that would've taken would be the fantranslators actually translating them by calling them "Opposite Soldiers". Or "Opposite Warriors", but current offical translations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

BIZARRO SAILORS

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

ddegenha posted:

Also, now I'm kind of wishing that a game like this had a little stealth section where you actually have to follow your friend around on their date and hide behind plants and other random objects.
Tempting an idea as that is, it would sadly have to contend with the fact that you'd have to pull off the same kind of stealth shenanigans the girls would use on each other, and that would be more than a little difficult.

I mean, how could you ever expect players to pull of these kind of maneuvers?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Edvarius posted:

Tempting an idea as that is, it would sadly have to contend with the fact that you'd have to pull off the same kind of stealth shenanigans the girls would use on each other, and that would be more than a little difficult.

I mean, how could you ever expect players to pull of these kind of maneuvers?

I was hoping it would be that diner scene, and good sir you delivered.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

hopeandjoy posted:

Admittedly, all that would've taken would be the fantranslators actually translating them by calling them "Opposite Soldiers". Or "Opposite Warriors", but current offical translations.

yeah I notice this a lot in subs and it pisses me off. Words like "senshi" don't get translated, they just call them "Sailor Senshi" in English and...that is not true, they are literally Sailor Soliders what the gently caress.

People always tell me "watching them subbed is better than dubbed" but I beg to differ, when you get stupid poo poo like that in subs I will take a poor dub any day because they honestly put more effort into dubbing than whoever wrote the subs.

Also this LP is going to make me go back and watch the anime again...or try, the last time I tried to watch through the whole series (I actually flipped back and forth between the dub and sub because a lot of episodes were cut early in the run) I got maaaybe 2 or 3 episodes into S and just stopped.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
watch the new dub it's pretty good

for bonus points watch it along with the sailor business podcast cause it's also pretty good

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

well everyone keeps saying it gets better after season 1 but that can't be saying too much, that was pretty rough

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

watch the new dub it's pretty good
It is. I watched a bunch more of it today, actually. Jupiter is here now. When Scoob talked about what her introduction is like in the comic, I figured whatever she does in the show couldn't possibly be as good as electrocuting a major villain to death, and it's not, but punching one in the mouth (drawing blood!) and wrestling a monster to the ground before she's even a Sailor is a pretty good crack at it.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Aces High posted:

well everyone keeps saying it gets better after season 1 but that can't be saying too much, that was pretty rough

The new sub and dub by Viz is much better and is completely translated on account of it being a professional translation.

I think the dub hasn't gotten to S yet though because they were working on Crystal.

I still think the original Sailor Moon anime is a lot of fun, filler and all and I'm not as fond of the manga, personally. But it was the first anime I ever finished via the old Pioneer subs though, so it might just be nostalgia talking.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

hopeandjoy posted:

The new sub and dub by Viz is much better and is completely translated on account of it being a professional translation.

I think the dub hasn't gotten to S yet though because they were working on Crystal.

I still think the original Sailor Moon anime is a lot of fun, filler and all and I'm not as fond of the manga, personally. But it was the first anime I ever finished via the old Pioneer subs though, so it might just be nostalgia talking.

Yeah. The dub is really fun in a goofy way. It's how I would show it to my nieces while they're still toddlers, tbh.

I mean it's an awful dub, but it's what I grew up with til my cousin realized I was a little lesbo and we watched her bootlegs together.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

esperterra posted:

my cousin realized I was a little lesbo

laughing so hard

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

same

also if you want to rewatch sailor moon i really recommend finding one of the watching guides that tells you what episodes are skippable. there's some filler episodes that have interesting character beats or are just hilarious, like the one where Usagi spends the entire episode thinking Seiya (xer not appearing in this game) is hitting on her when actually they're just hanging out. and then there are like seven amazing gifs in a row.

but a fair portion of the filler eps are just kinda there and knowing which ones you can safely skip does wonders for the show's pacing

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Endorph posted:

same

also if you want to rewatch sailor moon i really recommend finding one of the watching guides that tells you what episodes are skippable. there's some filler episodes that have interesting character beats or are just hilarious, like the one where Usagi spends the entire episode thinking Seiya (xer not appearing in this game) is hitting on her when actually they're just hanging out. and then there are like seven amazing gifs in a row.

but a fair portion of the filler eps are just kinda there and knowing which ones you can safely skip does wonders for the show's pacing

I just watched that episode, since I'm working my way through Sailor Stars (it never got dubbed for Toonami). I second that it's pretty hilarious. I'm starting to remember why I liked this series when I was a kid, though not quite to the same degree (I don't think I'm as enthusiastic about anything as I was about Sailor Moon back then).

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

END ME SCOOB posted:

laughing so hard

Oddly fitting, I know.

Speaking of, poo poo made me laugh so hard in the dub with making them cousins then not bothering to really change any of the hints that they were bangin. Like it could have been the lesbian innate ability of seeing subtext in literally every show on the planet, but imo everyone could tell them cousins was kissin.

fwiw I never kissed mine

e: best stars ep is the one with the party at usagi's house and MOON PIZZA ACTION

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Poil posted:

Nah. Pretty Sailor Soldier Moon.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I fondly remember the Stars episode where Usagi and friends do e-sports.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Hooray for this thread. :toot:

I just finished chewing through the new dub and the newly subtitled seasons on Hulu, and Sailor Stars was... something else. As much as the old dub was part of my childhood, the new dub is so much better that it's unbelievable. Crystal was... meh, but Season 3 has righted the ship. Unfortunately now the subtitles for Crystal on streaming services are just god-awful terrible, another case where the dub is so much better. That doesn't help season three but it'll get dubbed at some point I'm sure.

One cool thing about this game is that the music composer was the same guy from the TV series, and a lot of the music from the show ends up in the game as a result, albeit as SNES interpretations. This game was grindy as gently caress and I never had the patience to beat it without cheating, but I did love the attacks and such at the time I played it. Godspeed Scoob, you're gonna need it.

also Jupiter is the best and I will hear nothing else. :colbert:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

so for the new series did they finally give Ami her sleeves back?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Aces High posted:

so for the new series did they finally give Ami her sleeves back?

naw dude, sun's out guns out.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

esperterra posted:

Speaking of, poo poo made me laugh so hard in the dub with making them cousins then not bothering to really change any of the hints that they were bangin. Like it could have been the lesbian innate ability of seeing subtext in literally every show on the planet, but imo everyone could tell them cousins was kissin.

Like the part where they enter a contest for couples?

Or the hand thing?

They could change the dialogue all they wanted but there's only so much to do with the visuals.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

huh, well things are certainly different in the Black Moon stuff than I remember. I sure don't remember Rini having an Electra-complex

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
That was there in the original too. If you're incredibly sick you could basically summarize the back half of that arc as "time paradox wife swapping"

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah Chibiusa's motivation to become Black Lady is always her huge Mamochan boner.

e: and isn't that fueled by how absent a mother Usagi ends up being, too? She wants her approval but always gets her father's or w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
That mess was even in the manga, god Takeuchi only knows why.

:japan:

• Locked thread