Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

"We're gettin' a lot of lucky drops!"

That flea man was getting a lot of lucky drops, too :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Zain posted:

There's not really an optimal path for this game to get everything easily.
I'll sort of disagree with this. While there isn't a path to get "everything" easily, I've found it works well to follow the keys, with but a few backtracking trips to pick up what little can't be got without further progression.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

liquidypoo posted:

"We're gettin' a lot of lucky drops!"

That flea man was getting a lot of lucky drops, too :v:

gently caress FLEA MEN! God, if you ever thought "They can't get worse!" But then you realize there's an extra dimension that Castlevania generally doesn't go to.

Also whoever's idea it was to make a "Fleaman only room" should be kicked in the nuts.

LogicalFallacy posted:

I'll sort of disagree with this. While there isn't a path to get "everything" easily, I've found it works well to follow the keys, with but a few backtracking trips to pick up what little can't be got without further progression.

You're not wrong. But then I'd say the elemental weapons should be gotten as quickly as possible though.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:siren: Updating this :siren:

Part 5: No seriously gently caress Flea Men!

If Kaizo Castlevania would be a thing it would be a room full of flea men and nothing but flea men. Positive side we have one of my favorite Castlevania characters, and I don't really know why. He's just there and then dies, but drat I wanted to know more of him.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:siren: Pouring blood on this let's play :siren:

Part Six: Adventure in the Garden of Madness

With two bosses down that means we're going into a new level. It's fairly straightforward too without many branching paths to make it exploration heavy.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:siren: An Update so good it'd turn the most stone hearted person soft :siren:

Part Seven: Eyes like Stone

Today's update is a bit longer than the others just due to the fact that we fight the Lightning Elemental and a boss today. Otherwise it would have been two kinda short updates and really we don't need that, now do we? I submit we do not.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Why aren't these videos arranged in a playlist?

Maybe it's just me, but I like having a backlog and then being able to easily marathon the videos.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Leavemywife posted:

Why aren't these videos arranged in a playlist?

Maybe it's just me, but I like having a backlog and then being able to easily marathon the videos.

I generally do it in the end, but I guess I could playlist them right now.

Edit: Done

Zain fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 20, 2016

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!
I like how Medusa's appearance here directly references her appearance in the original Castlevania, down to her entrance cutscene where she flies off the rest of her bust.

All in all this is probably my least favorite level though. You'd think a garden forgotten by time would lush and overgrown, but... it's mostly very desaturated or outright grey. Oh well.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

FrankZP posted:

I like how Medusa's appearance here directly references her appearance in the original Castlevania, down to her entrance cutscene where she flies off the rest of her bust.

All in all this is probably my least favorite level though. You'd think a garden forgotten by time would lush and overgrown, but... it's mostly very desaturated or outright grey. Oh well.

Yeah there wasn't much outside of maybe the last 3 rooms before the bossfight which is a shame. In terms of level it's not bad, but thematically it wasn't very good.

Edit: You'll find out that most of the enemy designs are lacking too with them being mostly skeletal.

Zain fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 22, 2016

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:siren: Updating this thread with a fire that burns in my heart :siren:

Part Eight: Whip of Fire

The Anti-Soul Lab is a very interesting level. A lot of gimmicks which I feel are pretty good and fair. Light platforming and hidden paths that really make a metroidvania game something to enjoy.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Man.. I beat this game. I enjoyed it. It's a much better game than the one you threw $175 at.

I don't remember any of this game at all besides the Medusa fight and a few rooms here and there and maybe the optional boss in the basement?

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

Man, Anti-Soul Mysteries Lab is the track of the year, all years. As much as I can enjoy when the series goes all serious classical/orchestral and stuff, to my ears this particular piece feels a little bit more closely descended from the mostly-upbeat chiptunes of the first games, in spirit if nothing else.

I remember all three elementals giving me a fair bit of trouble, so it was good to see firedude here getting his medicine so swiftly administered. :D

It's pretty neat to see thermal shock exploited in games like that. The only other instance I can think of would be a boss in the original Wild ARMs (if I remember correctly) whose armor would weaken if you hit it with a fire spell and an ice spell on successive turns.

FrankZP fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Aug 5, 2016

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You're thinking of Trask, Wild Arms 3.

busysignal
Nov 28, 2013

FrankZP posted:

Man, Anti-Soul Mysteries Lab is the track of the year, all years.

It's one of the few things I remember about this game barring story spoilers.

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

Tallgeese posted:

You're thinking of Trask, Wild Arms 3.

Ah, right, that'll be it, thanks. I played them in a weird order (3-2-1-4-5) so I figured I might get the specifics wrong, heheh.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's always little touches like the Thermal Shock that push games just a little further in our hearts. It's nice to know there's a Wild Arms game where that's a way to win a fight. Or at least make it easier. Sadly it's only one gimmick here and I'm pretty sure it doesn't return.

So I have a bit of an update on the LP.
Good News:
I do have all of the normal levels recorded. Not the final level. Still need to do the item collection thing and the secret boss.

Bad News:
My PS3 is now starting to soft lock when I try to turn if off from the menu. So far it ONLY SEEMS to be PS2 games that I'm putting in it. Everything else quits and shuts down just fine. I'm a bit worried that I might lose my Ps3 and of-course the progress I've made.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

If you do lose anything, it's most likely to be the capacity to play PS2 games on your PS3. The two systems have completely different architectures, so backwards compatibility wouldn't normally be viable. (In general the PS3's Cell architecture was really weird for game design.) Thus I believe that backwards-compatible PS3s instead just have a stripped-down PS2 as a distinct set of hardware inside the case, which is why the slim PS3s cannot do older games.

These days, both the PS4 and XBox One use x86 architecture, which is the same stuff found on your PC. Porting is still a pain in the rear end going forward, but comparatively speaking it's less so.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

NGDBSS posted:

If you do lose anything, it's most likely to be the capacity to play PS2 games on your PS3. The two systems have completely different architectures, so backwards compatibility wouldn't normally be viable. (In general the PS3's Cell architecture was really weird for game design.) Thus I believe that backwards-compatible PS3s instead just have a stripped-down PS2 as a distinct set of hardware inside the case, which is why the slim PS3s cannot do older games.

These days, both the PS4 and XBox One use x86 architecture, which is the same stuff found on your PC. Porting is still a pain in the rear end going forward, but comparatively speaking it's less so.

Your suppositions about the old models PS3s are correct. They have PS2 hardware that activates upon detecting a PS2 disc in order to run the games.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

This Update is rock solid if I do say so myself

Part Nine: Doing as you command

The Anti-Soul Lab is definitely one of the more interesting places to be. Probably one of my favorite levels in the game to be honest. I love the multilayered aspects and how things tend to interconnect. But God the boss of the level is kinda meh.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dangit game, emet doesn't mean "life", it means "truth".

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Dangit game, emet doesn't mean "life", it means "truth".

But what about Emeth?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Zain posted:

But what about Emeth?

Same thing. Tav transliterated as 'th' or 's' rather than 't' is a difference in accent, not the word. I mean, in the golem mythology and kabbalic mysticism in general "truth" does have connotations of "existence" and "life" so I can't fault the game for taking a few shortcuts for people who don't know that instinctively but I'm a pedant.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

From just a literary/historical/folklore perspective, it's crazy how much the Golem of Prague has proliferated throughout fiction. Like, a one-off Jewish folktale is everywhere.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
2nd form of the boss's spinning arm shot reminds me a lot of the giant boss in La-Mulana, so yay!

Also probably mentioned before, but the movement in the game gives me big Devil May Cry vibes. Combat might be too simplistic for DMC though, unless there's some really fancy superplays out there.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

The combat is actually really fun. From what I read though, combos and abilities aren't gained just by doing them, but gained with the number of unique enemies you kill. Which is kind of a shame. I would love to have a more progressive system to work with.

Edit: Well some are like with the guard thing, but everything else is killing unique monsters.

Zain fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 18, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Am I hallucinating or did the video quality improve with the last update?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Alexeythegreat posted:

Am I hallucinating or did the video quality improve with the last update?

I haven't done anything different. I'm pretty sure.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:siren: The Horrors of Stage Work :siren:

Part Ten: Come and Play

The Ghostly Theater is probably one of the more expansive maps in this game. A lot of things are interconnected and there's secrets to be had.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:siren: Watch out boy she'll chew you up :siren:

Part Eleven: Acting is quite Draining

So we finish the final stage. I have a collection video to put together and the start of the final level of the game. We're finally ready to fight Dracula Mathias!

Sorry for the lack of updates everyone. Just things starting to get hectic and all that.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

That was an incredible evil laugh.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Wasn't there a boss in Symphony of the Night that pulled something like this boss did?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

Wasn't there a boss in Symphony of the Night that pulled something like this boss did?

Pretty sure it was a succubus too. Where she played as Alucard's Mother trying to convince Alucard to hate the humans.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
It was.

I missed this thread earlier, but glad I found it. I like Lament of Innocence a lot; not sure I'd call it one of my favourite Castlevanias in general, but it's the best 3D outing and there's a certain appeal to it. One thing that I've noticed about it is that it's clearly a 3D game made by a team that was used to making 2D games, so there's an absolutely massive amount of detail hidden in the environment textures but the environments themselves are just rooms and corridors. Someone went through and grabbed a massive amount of pictures of all the detail on show, check it out: gallary 1, 2, and 3.

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

Holy crap, I never knew Spread Gun packed that kind of punch, and for only 4 hearts too! Dang. I suppose it's only normal for a White Orb subweapon to hit pretty hard, but I'm still surprised at how quickly it chunked down her life bar.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:siren: The Hero Rescues the Girl??? :siren:

Part Twelve: Bad End?

Well we've finally did it! We beat all the bosses and it's time to get our prize... or is it?

So I've stopped using Vegas altogether now since it's been giving me nothing but trouble. I'm still learning this new video editing software so if things are "off" I'm really sorry for it all. But there's benefits of this new software. Most videos don't take 2+hours to render anymore. Which is always a plus. And it's almost as intuitive as Vegas was. Downsides is I'm still learning the software so a lot of the editing might still be a bit... Amateurish and I'm sorry for that.

Also RIP this LP since the Two Best Friends started an LP of Lament of Innocence. Now all those sweet youtube views are going to go the way of the dodo here. But not really... Either way we will persevere. I figure though once I get the key to the secret boss I'll put all the collection videos + secret boss-fight together in one.

FrankZP posted:

Holy crap, I never knew Spread Gun packed that kind of punch, and for only 4 hearts too! Dang. I suppose it's only normal for a White Orb subweapon to hit pretty hard, but I'm still surprised at how quickly it chunked down her life bar.

A lot of things are weak to the knife and yeah Spreadgun is kind of stupidly powerful for its cost.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Zain posted:

Also RIP this LP since the Two Best Friends started an LP of Lament of Innocence. Now all those sweet youtube views are going to go the way of the dodo here.

I mean, it's not like they'll suddenly know what they're doing. :v:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Phantasium posted:

I mean, it's not like they'll suddenly know what they're doing. :v:

It depends! They know what they're doing in some games.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:siren: Setting up everything :siren:

Part Thirteen: Prelude of Things to come

Well this update might have been a bit short, but after this all the collection video and then the fight with the secret boss shall be had. From there I don't know... We'll probably end the game. I'll try to show off some stuff as much as I can. But seriously beating the game on crazy is not something I'm really going to try it. I should try to finish the Joachim Armster playthrough to unlock the other playable character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Item Collection

Just a small update today. Chances are good we'll see the secret boss fight soon after this one.

• Locked thread