Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the Greatest Team?
Oorai
Pravda
St. Gloriana
Saunders
Anzio
Chi-Ha-Tan
Kuromorimine
Selection
Maginot
Jatkosota
View Results

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Falken posted:

Lets go into super insane territory. I mean if the (What the hell were they in the movie?) Senshadou United Nations had a loving T28 and a Centurion (first postwar tanks we've seen in use except for the Type 10 which all that has done was back over a Priceless Italian supercar), I cant see this being beyond reason.

Give Saunders an M103, some Pershings, Walker Bulldogs, and 76mm shermans. Pravda can get a T-10, T-54s or 44s, perhaps something like an SU-100. St. Gloriana would have a Chieftan, Conqueror, some centurions and a Tortoise, and...

Yeah, basically I want season 2 to basically be high tier War Thunder. Hell, let kuromorimine field a full lineup of nothing but Leopards firing heat FS (:argh:)

Something I also noted is that that only the movie enemy and kuromorimine have fielded turretless tank destroyers against Ooarai.

This would be cool, and also Miho has experience with the Tiger H as you can see from the flashback where she got kicked out of the school for preventing a Panzer III crew from drowning.

That's the specific Tiger I meant. Apparently, it hasn't been seen in the school's lineup since Miho left, so odds are Maho's saving it for her sister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Darth Walrus posted:

That's the specific Tiger I meant. Apparently, it hasn't been seen in the school's lineup since Miho left, so odds are Maho's saving it for her sister.
Clearly what needs to happen is Kuromorimine donates the Tiger and maybe a Jagdpanzer IV, Saunders a couple Shermans, St. Gloriana a Crusader III and Maltida, and Pravda a couple T34s.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Falken posted:

Clearly what needs to happen is Kuromorimine donates the Tiger and maybe a Jagdpanzer IV, Saunders a couple Shermans, St. Gloriana a Crusader III and Maltida, and Pravda a couple T34s.

Nah, apart from the main characters' solid all-rounder (and the StuG, I guess), Oarai's thing seems to be using stranger, quirkier, and more obscure tanks. The Engineering Club's Tiger P seems more like the sort of thing we can expect in their upgraded lineup. Maybe the gamers would get a Chi-Ri or - horror of horrors - an O-I?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

How about the M22 Locust then? I have actually seen those punch waaaay above their weight in War Thunder, taking out a Tiger II (H) with is 6.7 BR to the Locusts 2.0 BR.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

Falken posted:

Lets go into super insane territory. I mean if the (What the hell were they in the movie?) Senshadou United Nations had a loving T28 and a Centurion (first postwar tanks we've seen in use except for the Type 10 which all that has done was back over a Priceless Italian supercar), I cant see this being beyond reason.

I think the subs translate it as Selection University (or Selected University - something along those lines). But essentially, they're University tank teams that were selected by the Association to be on the selection team and presumably, the pro league and national teams are keeping an eye on them. University All-Star Team is a less literal but more evocative translation for them.

... Which means, yes, the HS All-Star Team beat the University All-Star Team.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Falken posted:

The T28 and Centurion were still within the rules for functional prototypes before August 1945 - the Centurion particular is a Mk.I version with the 17-pounder and distincticve side mount for the coax.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Katreus posted:

One should never forget this is an underdog sports story. I love it.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Katreus posted:

Third years like Maho are only a couple months from being in University so it's not that big of gap. This is especially true since it's not a "sport' where your physical size matters so you lose that advantage of being older.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Schoolgirls also can easily load 10 kg shells and flip over a 1-ton tankette on this universe

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Schoolgirls also can easily load 10 kg shells and flip over a 1-ton tankette on this universe

Lol if schoolgirls don't do this in your country

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

escape mechanism posted:

It's true, Alicia is the epitome of chill.

https://a.pomf.cat/rkovsp.webm

Alisa is the one they keep around to show how chill the rest of the team is by comparison, duh. :colbert:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

If S2 does happen then Saunders needs to field an M18. And Rose Hip needs an upgrade to a Cromwell or a Comet.

Basically S2 should be all about :rice: tanks.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

If S2 does happen then Saunders needs to field an M18. And Rose Hip needs an upgrade to a Cromwell or a Comet.

If we're talking Glorianna, I want to see them get that Tortoise they were fantasising about. And for Darjeeling to upgrade to a (ludicrously nimble) Black Prince.

Also, at least one TOG. Preferably multiple. :getin:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Bloody Pom posted:

I would say that an M18 might not be a good idea because it 's open top, but the amount of times that the commanders are outside their cupolas is crazy. We've all seen that scene in Fury.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

Zettace posted:

Third years like Maho are only a couple months from being in University so it's not that big of gap. This is especially true since it's not a "sport' where your physical size matters so you lose that advantage of being older.

All the 3rd years have the 2nd half of the term left so they have another half-year or so before entering University. The Japanese school year starts in April and runs to around July 20th before there's a summer break. The second half of the year runs from early September to late December.

Of note, Miho entered school in April. The nationals were held sometime in June and July. The movie / exhibition match against Selection University was held over the summer break.

The issue between HS and University All-Stars - in addition to the equipment gap, which was quite obvious - is the experience gap. As Maho comments:

If you're going, wait a moment, doesn't that mean...? Yes, Ooarai students are apparently insanely fast learners and aside from Miho, went through nationals on 2-3 months worth of experience with Senshado. Most of the HS students will only have around 5 months to 2.5 years of experience whereas the University side, aside from Alice, will have at least 3+ years.

In addition, the Selection University team has actually played competitive matches together (see: Selection University beating an adult side) whereas the HS All-Stars basically got thrown together in 5 minutes. It's a wonder that they actually had some semblance of a plan. It basically relied on Miho being able to quickly juggle all different sorts of tanks at once (here, her experience with Ooarai's jumble probably helps) into workable plans and the various Captains and Ooarai team members improvising on the spot based on their understanding of Ooarai / Miho's style.

Katreus fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 15, 2016

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

jng2058 posted:

Alisa is the one they keep around to show how chill the rest of the team is by comparison, duh. :colbert:

"Don't Mind!" - Oarai Tagline

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Falken posted:

I would say that an M18 might not be a good idea because it 's open top, but the amount of times that the commanders are outside their cupolas is crazy. We've all seen that scene in Fury.

I think that the plot armor is thick enough for that to be waived honestly.

Give me Pravda driving around in GAZ trucks hosing tanks with AA guns :ussr:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

I think that the plot armor is thick enough for that to be waived honestly.

Give me Pravda driving around in GAZ trucks hosing tanks with AA guns :ussr:

It's a specific rule of the sport. Remember the outrage over that giant loving artillery piece in the movie?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

It's a specific rule of the sport. Remember the outrage over that giant loving artillery piece in the movie?

Oh right, the no open-topped vehicles rule. :smith:

At least I can remain hopeful for Cromwell doriftu.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
A season 2 might not need equipment upgrades for the existing tanks but Oarai would certainly pick up more tanks and crews for the selection tournament. With annihilation rules they just won't be competitive with the other high tier schools fielding so many more tanks.

I think if the story goes past that point then they'll be able to justify upgrades in universe with more funding to prepare them for the world championships.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Annihilation is just for the world tournament stuff.

ps; a thought. All the best scenes of the movie either directly featured or involved the italians. coincidence???

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Gamerofthegame posted:

ps; a thought. All the best scenes of the movie either directly featured or involved the italians. coincidence???

checks out, gamer

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Yesss :3:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

I don't remember them having a major presence in the Ferris wheel scene.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
i'm sorry if you think somewhat overdone ferris wheel of doom holds a candle to tank rollercoaster racing or operation kill serve

it is not a Best Scenes. :colbert:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Kill Serve was just the backdrop for the Polka Smackdown :finland:

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Operation Mifune was the First Years' moment of glory and it deserves the praise that a best scene deserves.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

to be honest every scene is the best scene, for beautiful and unique reasons. der film is a treasure

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I once read an issue of Rear Review where a critic, discussing Buttman in Brazil wrote, "That's what separates the professionals from the amateurs. You have to know how to give them gaping bungus all the time." Like, substitute absurd tank combat for gaping bungus and that's my thoughts on the movie. They knew the plot was paper thin, so they just said "gently caress it, you like tanks doing crazy poo poo, here's tanks doing crazy poo poo for an hour straight."

I think if they tried to do a real season 2 then there would be a problem with not really having anywhere for the story to go from here, though. I mean, the school can't get threatened with a shutdown again, they have notarized forms!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

P-Mack posted:

I once read an issue of Rear Review where a critic, discussing Buttman in Brazil wrote, "That's what separates the professionals from the amateurs. You have to know how to give them gaping bungus all the time." Like, substitute absurd tank combat for gaping bungus and that's my thoughts on the movie. They knew the plot was paper thin, so they just said "gently caress it, you like tanks doing crazy poo poo, here's tanks doing crazy poo poo for an hour straight."

I think if they tried to do a real season 2 then there would be a problem with not really having anywhere for the story to go from here, though. I mean, the school can't get threatened with a shutdown again, they have notarized forms!

Tank Olympics

Katreus
May 31, 2011

Here's the map of all the schools -

Link for all the battle reports again.

In the movie, the blackboard when Ooarai students leave the school carrier:

quote:

>Thank you. Nishizumi Miho
>"Password Freedom". Yukari
>Senshado is the way of the heart. Hana
>It was a good place to nap. Reizei Mako
>The experience at Oarai will make you into a good wife! Takeba Saori
>^ Truly a senpai!
>I was planning to cry during my address at my graduation ceremony!! Anzu Kadotani
>I wanted to graduate here! Momo Kawashima
>I'll take care of the documents at my house. Yuzu Koyama
>We Shall Return! Erwin
>The lighthouse of Oarai is put out. Caesar
>There is more than road to Senshado. Oryou
>Oarai girls are the strongest in Japan! Saemonza
>Still 2 and a half year remaining~~~! Everone from Rabbit Team
>^ You made a spelling mistake, Saki
>Volleyball Club and Senshado will never die!!
>I want to supervise the students once more, it was my life... (So) (Go) (Pa)
>You're the one who'll open the door! Leopon Team
>Reset game. Anteater Team

Rosehip. :3:

This one's from the latest Motto Love Love Sakusen.

And just random fanart:

Lastly, someone made a fanart for a 'new' UST (and someone added in their modified text):

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Katreus posted:

Lastly, someone made a fanart for a 'new' UST (and someone added in their modified text):

i know we heard Anchovy's real name at some point, but are the ones for Kay, Darjeeling and Katyusha all made up? i don't remember seeing them anywhere despite looking around for them, specifically

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Schoolgirls also can easily load 10 kg shells

And then there's Nina. Who's like barely taller than Katyusha and loader in the freakin' KV-2.

Do not ever get into an armwrestling contest with this dainty ~5 feet tall girl. She will destroy you.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

Luceid posted:

i know we heard Anchovy's real name at some point, but are the ones for Kay, Darjeeling and Katyusha all made up? i don't remember seeing them anywhere despite looking around for them, specifically

Yeah, I think they're made up names. I haven't seen their real names around.

Joachim1167
Feb 24, 2014

Bloody Pom posted:

And Rose Hip needs an upgrade to a Cromwell or a Comet.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

:neckbeard:

Now give Darjeeling a Black Prince :getin:

Joachim1167
Feb 24, 2014

Bloody Pom posted:

:neckbeard:

Now give Darjeeling a Black Prince :getin:

St. Gloriana couldn't get their hands on any of the existing prototypes, but with the help of the Oarai Motor Club they modified Darjeeling's Mark VII. :D

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Joachim1167 posted:

St. Gloriana couldn't get their hands on any of the existing prototypes, but with the help of the Oarai Motor Club they modified Darjeeling's Mark VII. :D

:perfect:

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Luceid posted:

i read all of the 4komas and they're extremely good. anzio might actually have the most lovable cast after the ooarai gang, they're just so goddamn nice. but now i'm out of material to watch and read, so i guess its time to die

yeah, I'm slowing on buying physical stuff right now cos I'm moving soon, but once I'm settled I'm gonna go get Motto Motto whatever.

Does GuP have english manga out of anywhere, or will this contribute to my growing stack of manga-I-can-read-very-slowly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Jintor posted:

yeah, I'm slowing on buying physical stuff right now cos I'm moving soon, but once I'm settled I'm gonna go get Motto Motto whatever.

Does GuP have english manga out of anywhere, or will this contribute to my growing stack of manga-I-can-read-very-slowly?

Motto Motto etc etc is extremely good and adds a boatload of character for everyone, even poor Shiho. in addition, it is also extremely cute, so it's basically perfect