Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Superhot is the most innovative shooter I've played in years. I won't say too much. I won't reveal the nature of the system.

Neither should you. No spoilers in this thread, please.

This game originated as an entry in the 2013 7 Day FPS Challenge, made by Poland-based Superhot Team. It was later published as a browser-based game, the popularity of which spawned a Kickstarter campaign to develop it into a full game. It's now available on Windows, MacOS, Linux, and Xbox One, with an Oculus Rift version coming sometime.

Joining me in this is my captive good friend fellow LPer Danaru, who is going into this blind.

Episode 1: "gently caress this time wizard bullshit"
Episode 2: "Now is the time for smiting"
Episode 3: "You son of a bitch how dare you"
Episode 4: "Oh poo poo he's going to space"
Episode 5: "We might not be the good guy here"
Episode 6: "You cheating bitch"
Episode 7: "Rules of nature motherfucker"
Episode 8: "I'm clearly a very mature person"
Episode 9: "Oh poo poo somehow you died"
Episode 10: "Why are you so good at shooting people"
Episode 11: "Teletubbies"
Episode 12: "Welcome to the no fun zone"
Episode 13: "I don't know what I was expecting"
Episode 14: "Doo doo doo la doo"
Episode 15: "I'm sorry that you had to do all this"

CirclMastr fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Fish Noise created things of beauty.

CirclMastr fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 14, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh cool, I was waffling about requesting this one. Now I don't need to worry about it. :)

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

I'm Doctor Shibbo, and this is Jackass.
Nap Ghost
Kind of glad to see this being a thing. I really enjoyed the browser-based demo but have yet to pick up the full game - I guess it just fell off my radar!

I'm digging a lot of the stuff they've added. Those end-of-level realtime replays are fantastic. Looking forward to seeing more from you guys.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The replays are what really make it worth it in the end (along with the really neat method of telling the story and the art style). It's all based around making you feel like the badass action hero you see in every over-the-top movie like Shoot Em Up, or Captain America.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
You spent $20 trying to make this thread

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 2: "Now is the time for smiting"

Minor motion sickness warning toward the end of this video.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The mission with the cage fight is probably one of my favourites, mainly because of the dudes outside panicking when they realize we're coming out for them :v:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Tonetta posted:

Seriously, I laughed my rear end off at that.

This is pretty great, though. Really happy you followed through

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I love almost everything about this game.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Tonetta posted:

Depends: if he had plat before the thread, it's actually $30. :v:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Tonetta posted:

What did he screw up that got this thread gassed not once but twice?

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

What did he screw up that got this thread gassed not once but twice?

He used the HOT tag. The one that Autobans you.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The mechanic is good, but the game could be better. Like... I dunno, a proper shooter, but with the time-dealie stuff as a toggable function?

Edit: Also if the re-play didn't have 'Super Hot' played over it obnoxiously.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 10, 2016

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Yeah because scrapping an original idea for "shooter with slowdown" is real revolutionary

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Gamerofthegame posted:

Yeah because scrapping an original idea for "shooter with slowdown" is real revolutionary

Well, not with this kind of slowdown.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

The whole point of the game is that time only moves when you do. If you want a regular shooter with time toggle, then go play literally anything that has bullet time.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
man this game is pretty innovative but how bout we make it like every other game instead

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

In some ways it's a puzzle game as much as it is an FPS. If you find yourself in an unenviable position (like multiple bullets or buckshot pellets flying at you from different directions and one path out blocked by a bad guy with a sword), you need to take advantage of the frozen time to create an escape plan in your head and hope it all works out. Something that makes it more difficult is that even looking around causes time to advance (albeit very slowly), so spending too much time whipping your camera around looking for stuff can get you shot.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

Samovar posted:

Edit: Also if the re-play didn't have 'Super Hot' played over it obnoxiously.

I can't believe you were so unsatisfied with how bad your opinions were that you came back to add the worst one

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
The problem with the whole idea is that when the game is over it's really hard to look at the concept and figure where to go from there. It pretty much explores the idea to its full extent, it's not something that can really be copied into another game. Which means it's a lot more interesting than innovative.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It's also way too short for the price, but all the challenges really give neat enough spins on the mechanics and let it have a little more longevity.

It'd be great to see something like this but also with time looping. Time only moves when you do, and when you die those moves are locked in for a clone while you do other stuff. If they ham it up, they could use that for a game about making movies kinda like a foot-based Stuntman.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Instead of all that, please vote now on your phones

Esoteric Banana
Mar 29, 2010

Is there a way to let the full speed replay play all the way through. I'd like to see how cool this looks at a full speed, if you're worried about it slowing down the videos, just cut it and play them all at the end of the video, of something?

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

Esoteric Banana posted:

Is there a way to let the full speed replay play all the way through. I'd like to see how cool this looks at a full speed, if you're worried about it slowing down the videos, just cut it and play them all at the end of the video, of something?

seconding. The full speed replays look cool; kinda reminds me of scenes from action movies (which I seem to remember reading somewhere was the goal).

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

You can upload them to a dedicated website, but you have to do it then and there and uploading a full video takes a bit so it would break the flow terribly.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 3: "You son of a bitch how dare you"

Unfortunately the main game episodes are already recorded. I think I can put together some sort of "real-time replays only" bonus video though, if you want.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Somewhat related: Super Hotline Miami.
http://www.kongregate.com/games/albatr/superhotline-miami

Should be obvious how it all works by the title alone :v: Could use some work and polish but the mashup of ideas actually really holds together nicely.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Well this just took a sudden hard turn towards cyber punk didn't it?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
To be fair, we were already sorta leaning in that direction as it is.

My only complaint about this game so far is just the frequency of the updates. As short as these are, they're surprisingly good at making you want more of it RIGHT NOW. Especially, y'know, when it's four minutes long and it'll be a couple more days before he posts another one. >_>

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

If he posted a "normal sized" update this would be a one shot LP.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Gamerofthegame posted:

Pretty much :v:

That said, literally one mission seem short even for superhot.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Derek Barona posted:

My only complaint about this game so far is just the frequency of the updates. As short as these are, they're surprisingly good at making you want more of it RIGHT NOW. Especially, y'know, when it's four minutes long and it'll be a couple more days before he posts another one. >_>

Just be glad I didn't stick to my original plan of only one update per week.

Gamerofthegame posted:

If it makes you feel any better, the finale is over half an hour. I refuse to state how much of that is the end credits.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

chitoryu12 posted:

The replays are what really make it worth it in the end (along with the really neat method of telling the story and the art style). It's all based around making you feel like the badass action hero you see in every over-the-top movie like Shoot Em Up, or Captain America.

It's pretty much a Hardcore Henry simulator. :v:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Today's episode features the hardest level in the game. Also Patrick Stewart.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i started loving Elevator Pitch once i figured out that i could just circle-strafe and use the red guys as human shields, letting me clear the elevator real quick with two friendly-fire kills and one bullet

Warren Waters
Feb 27, 2011

CirclMastr posted:

Today's episode features the hardest level in the game. Also Patrick Stewart.

Yesss, these are the best levels! I like to circle around to the left, the other two will shoot the guy closest to you in the face.
The hallway level with the katana is probably my favorite in the game. Throwing swords is so good.

I will not launch SUPERHOT.exe again. It is the most innovative shooter I've played in years.
I will watch Let's Play SUPERHOT.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I get it now: the title SUPERHOT refers to the quality of the anime tiddy.

Though, for what it's worth, you can actually do neat redacted stuff. Also, you can shoot oncoming bullets, but good job doing it as anything other than a total fluke.

Prav posted:

i started loving Elevator Pitch once i figured out that i could just circle-strafe and use the red guys as human shields, letting me clear the elevator real quick with two friendly-fire kills and one bullet

I first did it by punching the guys to the left and right, then grabbing a gun. Once I learned friendly fire was a thing, there was some legit Evil Laughter.

Kaboom Dragoon fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 17, 2016

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Shhh, this is a surprise for Dan later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The start of Elevator Pitch is a lot less stressful if you immediately jump. Jumping is surprisingly powerful.

• Locked thread