Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
An archaeological expedition in Antarctica? Co-funded by this 'Silver Twilight Lodge' and an American politician? What the hell have I gotten myself into, Finn thought as the storm rolled up the Thames. Still, if he pulled this off, he could retire a rich man, if the old man wasn't lying. Lightning roiled through the sky, dousing the city in eldritch energy, and no sooner had Finn dropped into his cheap bed that he found himself reclining in the warm sands of some tropical island. A strange young woman was huddled nearby; on her chest, a pendant with the sigil of the the Silver Twilight Lodge...

[Delayed]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I rubber stamp a budget request and the next thing I know I'm getting beat up by loan sharks. This job is going to get me killed.

"Mr. Kane, we have another budget request from that unlisted number."

"Approve it, but get the funds from a more savory source this time. And call my doctor, I need my leg patched up."

Rest, attempt to get rid of Leg Injury.
Acquire Assets, use Personal Assistant on a fail.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
We have a lot of gates down in Antarctica, we're going to need to figure out a way to take care of that soon.

Can Charlie buy a charter flight to Antarctica for Diana or Finn? Because getting one or both of them to Antarctica would be a real big help.

EDIT: Gonna cast my spell this round while I sit in London for the mystery. Anyone want a clue?

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 8, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Probably, but let me see what happens with my Leg Injury and Assets roll.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Finn can double move over rail/sea, so I'll be able to get down there pretty fast regardless (2 turns to Miskatonic). I'd really like that Enchanted Blade and/or Cross though.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Well, what's better? Flying both Finn and Diana to Antarctica or flying Finn and buying him some gear?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Well, what's better? Flying both Finn and Diana to Antarctica or flying Finn and buying him some gear?

Well, I can probably kill the Shoggoth if I get the gear, which will let me close the second gate a turn quicker.

e: Actually wait, closing gates teleports us to Leng, so I don't need to bother the Shoggoth. That means the Blade is waaaay more important than the Cross, since the Wendigo is tough.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 8, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Agnes Baker - Lore 4, Influence 3, Observation 2, Strength 2, Will 2. 7/7 Health, 5/5 Sanity. 0 Clues, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.
  • Storm of Spirits - Spell, Incantation - When resolving a Combat encounter, you may resolve a Lore test in place of the Strength test, using the same test modifier. If you do, flip this card. Back: ???
  • Intervene - Spell, Incantation, Teamwork - When another investigator resolves a Combat encounter, you may test Lore. If you pass, that investigator gains +3 Strength during that encounter. Then flip this card. Back: ???
  • Profane Tome - Item, Tome - You may reroll one die when resolving a Will test during a Combat encounter.

Rome was too big. Too many books, too many people. Agnes needed to get away. That Ghoul problem was sounding better and better.

1. Acquire Assets: Take the Mystic Bounty Hunter, using debt if necessary.
2. Move to Istanbul.

Encounter: Combat, then hopefully the Gate.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I think the Holy Cross would be better for Finn -- I can just use Intervene if you need a +3 mod on combat over the +2.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
e: Eh, actually cross is probably more useful, since it's not a weapon. Speaking of, Diana should take my Blunderbuss (and Axe too, if I get the sword also) before she goes next turn.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 8, 2016

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Daisy Walker (Krysmphoenix) - Lore 4, Influence 3, Observation 2, Strength 1, Will 3. 5/5 Health, 7/7 Sanity. 0 Clues, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.
  • Old Journal - Unique Item Tome - Action: Test Obs, if pass flip this card. Back: ???
  • Arcane Insight - Ritual - Action: Choose any investigator, Test Lor-2 and +1 for each Tome you have, if pass target gains 1 Clue. Then flip. Back: ???
  • Astronomy Guidebook - Item Tome - If you close a Gate by Other World encounter, +1 Sanity and +1 Clue
  • Arcane Tome - Item Tome - +2 Lore for Spell effects, When Rest test Lore, if pass gain 1 Spell

Speaking with Agnes helped, and she learned something valuable, all the mysterious kidnappings in London. The boat ride to London was long, but it gave her a good chance to catch up on some reading. Especially with the new book from Armitage's unknown benefactor "Citizen Kane," whoever that was.

Actions:
Move: Moving to London.
Rest: But already capped on Health and Sanity...
---Extra - Arcane Insight: I'll give myself the Clue. With 3 tomes and 2 from the Arcane Tome, that's 7 dice.
---Extra - Arcane Tome: 4 dice for the new spell.
Encounter: Let's grind our way through the Mysterious Disappearances.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Krysmphoenix posted:

Can Charlie buy a charter flight to Antarctica for Diana or Finn? Because getting one or both of them to Antarctica would be a real big help.

As far as I can tell, he is not allowed to do this. The rules say 'when an investigator performs an acquire action, he may spend two successes to move to Miskatonic'. Charlie's ability says 'you may allow other investigators to gain any cards you purchase' - no card, no free flight. There's no FAQ / Errata over this that I can find, so it seems like it's a no-go.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, I can still make it to the first gate in two turns, baring more movement fuckery. Send me the cross and the sword if you can; I'm going to become the boozeknight.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
If there's no other considerations for who's lead investigator, I'd like to go as early in the turn order as possible so that I have a chance to use my passive or flesh ward on investigators downstream of me.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TURN 2 - ACTION PHASE CONT.

Charlie rests up, restoring his health... but his leg still twinges. (Leg Injury: 3)
Charlie acquires assets. (Influence: 2 2 3 4 6 r2)
Agnes acquires assets, and then heads to Istanbul. (Influence: 6 6 6)
Daisy heads to London and rests up, surrounded by books. (Arcane Insight: 1 1 2 3 3 4 6) She picks up a Clue.

Arcane Insight, 1-2 successes posted:

Opening your mind to new knowledge provides stressful. Lose 1 Sanity.
Daisy, while resting, checks for new spells. (Lore: 2 5 5 5) She draws Banishment.

Action Queue
- Charlie: Buy assets. (1 success)
- Agnes: Buy assets. (3 successes)
- Move Lead Investigator?

Charlie Kane (Some Numbers) - Lore 2, Influence 4, Observation 3, Strength 2, Will 2 - 4/4 Health, 8/8 Sanity - 0 Clues, 0 Focus, 1 Ship Ticket.
Agnes Baker (Tricky) - Lore 4, Influence 3, Observation 2, Strength 2, Will 2 - 7/7 Health, 5/5 Sanity - 0 Clues, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.
Diana Stanley (Mykkel) - Lore 4, Influence 2, Observation 3, Strength 3, Will 1 - 7/7 Health, 5/5 Sanity - 1 Clue, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.
Jacqueline Fine (Tendales) - Lore 4, Influence 2, Observation 3, Strength 1, Will 3 - 4/4 Health, 8/8 Sanity - 1 Clue, 0 Focus, 1 Train Ticket.
Daisy Walker (Krysmphoenix) - Lore 4, Influence 3, Observation 2, Strength 1, Will 3 - 5/5 Health, 6/7 Sanity - 1 Clue, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.
Finn Edwards (fool_of_sound) - Lore 2, Influence 3, Observation 3, Strength 2, Will 3 - 6/6 Health, 6/6 Sanity - 0 Clues, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"Mr. Kane, a request has come in for a very rare cross. We don't have enough liquid to obtain it."

"...who did the request come from?"

"A moonshine runner in the Caribbean."

"Ugh, fine, dip into the unsavory pool again. Get the man his cross."

Take a loan, buy the Holy Cross for Finn

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Move Lead Investigator to Tendales

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I'll take the Mystic Bounty Hunter, but I'm also interested in seeing what replaces the Holy Cross and potentially taking debt to get it as well.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I can't be the lead investigator while LiTaS, but if lead gets put on Diana Stanley then at least I'll go second, so I'll come back in time to use my powers on the later encounters.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
And now the American government had apparently bought him a cross. Finn wasn't sure what to think of that. And how could they have possibly known he was on Cuba? Finn sure as hell didn't get here by boat, unless some pig farmer somehow recognized him in his two day hike back to Havana. The drat cross was a work of art: carved from ivory and engraved with a stylistic angel. Still, no telling why this 'Kane' thought he would want or need it in Antarctica. Time to worry about that later thought; for now, Finn needed to find a ship.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Tendales posted:

I can't be the lead investigator while LiTaS, but if lead gets put on Diana Stanley then at least I'll go second, so I'll come back in time to use my powers on the later encounters.

Do this then

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Diana becomes Lead Investigator.

Charlie picks up the Debt and the Cross.
The reserve refreshes.

Action Queue
- Agnes: Confirm assets. (3 successes)

Diana Stanley (Mykkel) - Lore 4, Influence 2, Observation 3, Strength 3, Will 1 - 7/7 Health, 5/5 Sanity - 1 Clue, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.
Jacqueline Fine (Tendales) - Lore 4, Influence 2, Observation 3, Strength 1, Will 3 - 4/4 Health, 8/8 Sanity - 1 Clue, 0 Focus, 1 Train Ticket.
Daisy Walker (Krysmphoenix) - Lore 4, Influence 3, Observation 2, Strength 1, Will 3 - 5/5 Health, 6/7 Sanity - 1 Clue, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.
Finn Edwards (fool_of_sound) - Lore 2, Influence 3, Observation 3, Strength 2, Will 3 - 6/6 Health, 6/6 Sanity - 0 Clues, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.
Charlie Kane (Some Numbers) - Lore 2, Influence 4, Observation 3, Strength 2, Will 2 - 4/4 Health, 8/8 Sanity - 0 Clues, 0 Focus, 1 Ship Ticket.
Agnes Baker (Tricky) - Lore 4, Influence 3, Observation 2, Strength 2, Will 2 - 7/7 Health, 5/5 Sanity - 0 Clues, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I'll just take the Mystic Bounty Hunter.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Agnes picks up the Mystic Bounty Hunter.
The reserve refreshes again!

Encounter Phase incoming...

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

So at this point, I can pay 7 to retreat Doom by 2? Snazzy.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TURN 2 - ENCOUNTER PHASE

Combat

Agnes takes on a Ghoul, activating Storm of Spirits!
    Sanity Check - Will+1 vs 1: 2 2 5 r3 - No Sanity loss.
    Combat Check - Lore vs 2: 2 3 4 5 5 6 - No Health loss. The Ghoul dies.

Storm of Spirits, 1+ success posted:

You summon the spirits of retribution that grow only more vicious when their master is harmed. For each Health you lose from the test, you may spend 1 Sanity. The Monster loses 1 Health for each Sanity you spend.
Encounters

Diana Stanley

Sea posted:

You find a terrified stowaway aboard your ship. You attempt to comfort him and coax him into telling you his story. (Influence: 4 5) No further text.
Jacqueline Fine

Lost in Time an Space: Swarming Masses posted:

Among a swirling mass of stars, you discover swarms of alien beings that feast upon each other without hesitation. You try to find your way home without being noticed. (Observation-1: 2 4) If you fail, spawn 1 Gate and resolve a Monster Surge on that space, then place your Investigator on that space and become Delayed. Then discard this card.

A Gate (and Jacqueline) spawns on The Pyramids, together with a Cultist, a Dhole, and a Ghoul.
Daisy Walker

Mysterious Disappearances posted:

You've been deputized to lead a police raid on a warehouse believed to be a safehouse for the human trafficking ring. (Influence: 1 2 2) The raiding party is restless, and charges before you give the command, only to set off a magical trap. The building is incinerated, leaving no survivors. Lose 2 Sanity.
Finn Edwards

Sea posted:

A sudden storm descends upon you and strong winds whip around your vessel. Huge waves toss your ship around like a toy, and you are thrown to the deck repeatedly. Lose 1 Sanity, and gain a Back Injury condition.
Charlie Kane

San Francisco posted:

A tall, gaunt man with a bald, skull-like head introduces himself as Surama and offers to teach you the secrets of Atlantis. However, you can sense that he is trying to manipulate you as he speaks. You may gain a Dark Pact condition to improve Observation and one other skill of your choice.
Agnes Baker

Gate: The Future posted:

You stand in Times Square, New York, but not as you know it. The streets are empty, and the bulidings have crumbled to dust. It appears that you will fail to save the world, and you try desperately not to fall into despair. (Will-1: 5) You get to your feet and find what is left of the Central Library. The books you find there prove useful; close this Gate. Deep in the basement of the library, you dig through the archives, searching for information about the fall of man. (Observation: 2 5) If you pass, gain 2 Clues.

Action Queue
- All: Clues, etc.
- Charlie: Take the deal?
- Agnes: Move to Plateau of Leng?

Daisy Walker (Krysmphoenix) - Lore 4, Influence 3, Observation 2, Strength 1, Will 3 - 5/5 Health, 4/7 Sanity - 1 Clue, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.
Finn Edwards (fool_of_sound) - Lore 2, Influence 3, Observation 3, Strength 2, Will 3 - 6/6 Health, 5/6 Sanity - 0 Clues, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.
Agnes Baker (Tricky) - Lore 4, Influence 3, Observation 2, Strength 2, Will 2 - 7/7 Health, 5/5 Sanity - 2 Clues, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
[Agnes, want to go kill the gate in the City of the Elder Things? I'll run over and try to save Jacqueline. We might need Diana too; if so, I should be lead next turn so I can move us both.]

[e: also unless I'm misremembering, Back Injury is a non-issue on Finn, since it just makes you discard items, which he is immune to.]

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 9, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Take the deal, improve Influence.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Sure, I'll head to Plateau of Leng.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Jacqueline uses her passive ability to peek at the dark pact and gain a clue.

e: Also, seriously, delayed on the heels of LiTaS? This game doesn't want me to play.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Tendales posted:

e: Also, seriously, delayed on the heels of LiTaS? This game doesn't want me to play.

I wasn't certain if you wanted to pop a Clue on that one, since it's a pretty big effect.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Stelas posted:

I wasn't certain if you wanted to pop a Clue on that one, since it's a pretty big effect.

It's tempting, but 2/3 of the time I'm just throwing away a clue for no gain. I might need that clue to survive these monsters, if the rescue plan doesn't come through.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I now need to discharge a Bank Loan, heal my leg and get rid of a Dark Pact. On turn 2.

Typical Eldritch Horror game.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

This game state seems to hate you all

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Actually, I've thought about it a bit, and the three-in-one whammy of that LiTaS event is probably bad enough to justify taking a long shot chance. Spawning an extra gate suuuuucks.

If it's not too late, Jacqueline uses a clue to reroll.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TURN 2 - ENCOUNTER PHASE CONT.

Charlie improves Influence and Observation in exchange for a Dark Pact.
Jacqueline pops a Clue! (3) ... but the future refused to change...
Jacqueline also takes a peek at Charlie's Dark Pact.

Dark Pact: All Is Lost posted:

The agreement you made seemed necessary at the time, but now you regret signing that pact. The sinister beings have come to claim what is yours: blood, knowledge, and hope. Discard all of your possessions and Improvement tokens, and lose all but 1 Health and 1 Sanity. Then discard this card.
Anges moves to the Plateau of Leng.

TURN 2 - MYTHOS PHASE

A Mythos card is drawn. 18 cards remain.

Mythos posted:

A Call To Duty - :angel: - Green (Omen, Surge, Clues)

"This is not an issue the syndicate can resolve via normal channels." The well-dressed agent passes a sealed envelope across the table to you. "We need your help, and trust you can be discreet."

The Lead Investigator gains 2 Task Unique Assets, and then chooses one to discard.
The Omen moves to Red.
There is a Monster Surge at Miskatonic Outpost! A Shan and a Haunting Horror appear there.
Clues spawn at San Francisco, Shanghai, and space 13.

Diana draws Sacrifices to Make and For the Greater Good.

TURN 3 - ACTION PHASE

Action Queue
- Diana: Choose a Task to discard.
- Diana, Daisy, Finn, Charlie, Agnes: 2 actions.

Daisy Walker (Krysmphoenix) - Lore 4, Influence 3, Observation 2, Strength 1, Will 3 - 5/5 Health, 4/7 Sanity - 1 Clue, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.
Finn Edwards (fool_of_sound) - Lore 2, Influence 3, Observation 3, Strength 2, Will 3 - 6/6 Health, 5/6 Sanity - 0 Clues, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.
Agnes Baker (Tricky) - Lore 4, Influence 3, Observation 2, Strength 2, Will 2 - 7/7 Health, 5/5 Sanity - 2 Clues, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Anyone have thoughts on which Task I should keep? I'm leaning towards Sacrifices to Make, because I don't see me getting 6 clues.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, Sacrifices seems more likely to be useful.

Anyway, can we move Lead Investigator to me? I can get both me and Diana to Jacqueline if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Greater Good is usually turbo-hilarious, if you can pull it off.

• Locked thread