Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Mansions of Madness posted:

The Antarctic fog parted, and the towering mountain range suddenly became visible. The dark peaks reached impossibly high into the air, vast and foreboding.

"You ever see mountains that big before?" Ropes asked, shouting over his plane's engine. Ursula shook her head in response.

These peaks made the Himalayas look like foothills. Ursula felt certain no one had seen mountains that big before. Not until Professor Lake's transmission a few days ago. A twinge of sorrow picked at her. Poor Lake. "What happened at the camp?"

Ropes winced. "It was grim. Once the storm cleared and we were able to get there, everything had been torn apart. Everyone was dead. Dogs too. Some of the men had been gutted. They reckon one of the scientists cracked up and killed them all. It's..." he couldn't finish the thought. "I knew those guys. All of them. On the ship down and across the ice shelf. They were all solid as an oak, you know? I guess there's something about being so cut-off down here. You ever hear of someone snapping like that?"

Ursula's jaw clenched. Yes, she'd seen the horror that human madness could wreak. She'd seen it in India, in Ecuador, and in Chicago. Still, how could one person manage so much bloodshed? If it wasn't some madman, what else could have possibly been the source of such butchery?

"There's the opening," Ropes pointed to a gap between the towering peaks. "You're going to want to brace yourself for what's on the other side." He paused for dramatic effect. "It's a city."

What?

Eldritch Horror is Fantasy Flight Games' attempt to cut away the bloated carcass of Arkham Horror and return to the base game's roots, fixing as many problems as they can along the way. By and large, they succeed - the game's much easier to learn and play, with only a handful of rules outside of anything scenario specific, and a lot more balanced than anything Arkham Horror managed. Mountains of Madness offers a new sideboard, several new characters and a whole bunch of extra cards, fortunately saving the players from too much Arkham bloat by hiding most of it behind specific Elder Ones.

Much like Arkham Horror, the players' general course of action is to build up their power, and then run around dealing with the succession of problems that will mount up on the board. Along the way, their ultimate goal is to accomplish several Mysteries that will uncover the Elder One's plans - but it's a balancing act between getting that done and staying alive. Players will need to work together, taking on certain responsibilities based upon their stats and capabilities, in order to be able to accomplish things across the entire board in time - because if the Mythos deck runs out, that's it.

Why?

Because I have a soft spot for the game a mile wide, it's the first PBP I ever ran on these forums, and I haven't run it in like 2 years and now there's a Vassal module to automate a bunch of poo poo for me.

The Game
  • Enabled expansions are Forsaken Lore and Mountains of Madness.
  • The Elder One will be Rise of the Elder Things, making this a slightly extended game. The Mythos deck will be 20 cards, and four Mysteries are required to win.
  • The Antarctica board will be included in the game. I'll post a summary of Antarctica rules in the second post.
  • Preludes will be random, providing an event at the start of the game.
  • Focus is enabled, allowing players to burn an action to get a reroll token separate to Clues.
House Rules
  • Turns will be done simultaneously in order to speed up the game. One player will be Lead Investigator, but this will only affect certain card events and the ordering of trading and fighting.
  • When posting your actions, please also confirm which encounter you wish to do during the Encounter phase. It makes it a lot faster for me.
  • As this is a pure co-op game, editing posts is allowed.
  • Rerolls will be used automatically if they're permanent, if it would mean the difference between a pass and a fail if they're once per turn, and never if they're a disposable, Focus, or Clue. COs on when you want to use rerolls will help, or else you can tell me afterwards.
Recruiting
  • I'd like six players. Unlike most of my games, PMs are not required but a way to poke you via Skype or email would be nice in case of slowdown.
  • I'd like players who can check in once per day minimum. Eldritch Horror is slower but there's always some discussion of what to do.
  • When signing up, please indicate your first two choices of character, in order, from this list of twenty. (The expansion characters are Good and Cool.)
  • Signups will close in 24 hours, whereupon if we have extra people selection will be by random draw.
Resources
Base Game Rulebook (If you need to learn the game, just read this.)
Base Game Reference Guide
Mountains of Madness Rulebook
FAQ / Errata

Previous
Game 1: Something Fiddly This Way Comes - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3596014
Game 2: What I R'yleh R'yleh Want - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3602735
Game 3: Purple Prose and Yellow Kings - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3614240
Game 4: Viper? I never touched 'er! - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3634228

Stelas fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

REFERENCE

The Ancient One

Rise of the Elder Things posted:

Eons ago, the elder things were driven underground by the changing climate, hibernating in the cities they had built into the mountains or in the depths of the ocean. With the disturbance of the Miskatonic Expedition, they have begun to reclaim the world they once dominated.
  • Starting Doom: 16
  • After an Investigator resolves a Gate encounter, he may move to the Plateau of Leng.
  • When 4 Mysteries have been solved, the investigators win the game.
  • When Doom advances to zero, the Elder Things awaken.
  • Cultists have the following stats: Cultist - 1 HP. Sanity: Lore-1 vs 0. Combat: Strength vs 1. If you pass the Lore test, you free the victim's mind; defeat this Monster and gain 1 random Ally.
  • Mythos Deck:
    • Stage 1 - 2 Green, 2 Yellow, 1 Blue.
    • Stage 2 - 3 Green, 3 Yellow, 1 Blue.
    • Stage 3 - 4 Green, 4 Yellow.
Stats
  • Lore is usually used when closing Gates and casting Spells.
  • Influence is usually used when buying items and when doing City encounters.
  • Observation is usually used when doing Expeditions and Clue encounters.
  • Strength is usually used when taking part in Combat or doing Expeditions.
  • Will is usually used when taking part in Combat or closing Gates.
  • Only one static bonus (i.e. +2 to Strength) from cards may be used per check, but any number of rerolls or other bonuses.
  • Note that, generally, combat and spellcasting require wildly more successes than anything else. Stack these hard!
Actions
During the action phase, investigators may do two different actions from the following list:
  • Move one space on the map. After moving, tickets may be spent to move further.
  • Rest to recover 1 Health and 1 Sanity, if there are no monsters on your space.
  • Trade items with another investigator on your space.
  • Prepare for Travel if you are on a City with Rail or Sea links, allowing you to draw a ticket up to a max of two.
  • Acquire Assets if you are on a City with no monster present, performing an Influence roll to see how much you can buy.
  • Focus to gain a one-time reroll up to a max of two.
  • Any other Action on cards or character sheets.
Antarctica Rules
  • Antarctica and Miskatonic Outpost are connected by a Local path. Moving between the two does not take an action, but may be done only once a round.
  • Alternatively, any investigator may spend 2 successes from an Acquire Assets to move immediately to Miskatonic Outpost.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

malkav11 posted:

Your FAQ/Errata link points to the reference guide again.

Finn Edwards or Leo Anderson

aieeee

Krysmphoenix posted:

Wait, I can play this instead of being insane to run it myself?

son I was running this long before you were insane enough to try it

drat kids

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

fool_of_sound posted:

It's been years since I last touched this game, so I may be a bit rusty on the rules.

Don't worry about it, that's why I'm here. A quick read of the base rulebook, followed by a glance at the second post, should get you up to speed pretty fast.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Jedit posted:

I don't know if there's room or not

Traditionally, I've always done a 24 sign up period then picked randomly, and this'll be the same. I don't like accidentally leaving out certain timezones, when it comes down to it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Ryuujin posted:

It was just a building, and it wasn't preset if I remember correctly. Had tiles for each room that were drawn randomly when you entered the room. I do think it had a Doom Counter though.

If the mechanics were broken-as-gently caress and it was one person vs. many, it was Mansions of Madness.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

SETUP

Signups are closed. Sorry to everyone who didn't get in - I was not expecting so many signups! The rest of you get priority on the next game if you're still up for it by then. Unfortunately, EH is a little involved to really run two simultaneously.

Our brave and intrepid explorers:

Some Numbers snipes Lead Investigator as Charlie Kane.
Tricky as Agnes Baker.
Mykkel as Diana Stanley.
Tendales as Jacqueline Fine.
Krysmphoenix as Daisy Walker.
fool_of_sound as Finn Edwards.

The players are up against the Rise of the Elder Things:

Rise of the Elder Things posted:

Eons ago, the elder things were driven underground by the changing climate, hibernating in the cities they had built into the mountains or in the depths of the ocean. With the disturbance of the Miskatonic Expedition, they have begun to reclaim the world they once dominated.
  • Starting Doom: 16
  • After an Investigator resolves a Gate encounter, he may move to the Plateau of Leng.
  • When 4 Mysteries have been solved, the investigators win the game.
  • When Doom advances to zero, the Elder Things awaken.
  • Cultists have the following stats: Cultist - 1 HP. Sanity: Lore-1 vs 0. Combat: Strength vs 1. If you pass the Lore test, you free the victim's mind; defeat this Monster and gain 1 random Ally.
  • Mythos Deck:
    • Stage 1 - 2 Green, 2 Yellow, 1 Blue.
    • Stage 2 - 3 Green, 3 Yellow, 1 Blue.
    • Stage 3 - 4 Green, 4 Yellow.
Players draw their starting possessions.
Doom is set to 16.
The Omen is set to Green.
The Reserve is filled.
Gates spawn in City of the Elder Things (Blue, with a Warlock) and Istanbul (Green, with a Ghoul).
The Expedition Token is placed in The Pyramids.
Clues spawn in locations 14, 20, and Buenos Aires.
A Prelude card is drawn.

Doomsayer from Antarctica posted:

An expedition to Antarctica has unveiled a startling secret. Though only one man returned, he spoke of a lost city frozen in the mountains.

Most of his rantings were gibberish, but it is clear that he believed that something in this city would bring the downfall of mankind.

Given all the horrors you've seen, you hesitate to dismiss these fears outright. You find yourself preparing for a journey to the frozen south.

During setup, set up the Antarctica side board. After resolving setup, if Rise of the Elder Things is the Ancient One, spawn the Rampaging Shoggoth Epic Monster on Lake Camp. Otherwise, set aside all Antarctica Adventures, and draw a random Act I adventure. Then, the Lead Investigator (Charlie Kane) may move to the Adventure or to Miskatonic Outpost.
The first Mystery is drawn.

Mysterious Disappearances posted:

People have been reported missing all over the world, but more alarming are those who have returned, proclaiming the benevolence of the elder things and the potential for a grand alliance.

As an encounter, an investigator on a City space containing a Clue may attempt to investigate the mysterious disappearances; he draws and resolves a Mysterious Disappearances encounter.

At the end of the Mythos Phase, if there are 3 Clues on this card, solve this Mystery.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TURN 1 - ACTION PHASE

Charlie Kane (Some Numbers) - Lore 2, Influence 4, Observation 3, Strength 2, Will 2. 4/4 Health, 8/8 Sanity. 0 Clues, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.
Agnes Baker (Tricky) - Lore 4, Influence 3, Observation 2, Strength 2, Will 2. 7/7 Health, 5/5 Sanity. 0 Clues, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.
Diana Stanley (Mykkel) - Lore 4, Influence 2, Observation 3, Strength 3, Will 1. 7/7 Health, 5/5 Sanity. 0 Clues, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.
Jacqueline Fine (Tendales) - Lore 4, Influence 2, Observation 3, Strength 1, Will 3. 4/4 Health, 8/8 Sanity. 1 Clue, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.
Daisy Walker (Krysmphoenix) - Lore 4, Influence 3, Observation 2, Strength 1, Will 3. 5/5 Health, 7/7 Sanity. 0 Clues, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.
Finn Edwards (fool_of_sound) - Lore 2, Influence 3, Observation 3, Strength 2, Will 3. 6/6 Health, 6/6 Sanity. 0 Clues, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.

Action Queue
- All players: 2 actions.
- Charlie: Move to Miskatonic Outpost?

Stelas fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 7, 2016

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Note to self, remember to login to imgur each time so that you don't get a quality hit on the main map. Looking at imgur's limits I can probably improve the map quality a bit, but we'll see how we go. Note that I'm turning over monsters to show their stats because really who caaaares what they're called.

Lots of spellcasters, lots of tomes flying around. Not so much anyone with any muscle.

Remember that you have four Mysteries to solve this time around, and 20 turns to do it in.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TURN 1 ACTION PHASE, CONT.

Charlie acquires assets. (Influence: 3 3 6 6 6 r2)
Agnes heads to Rome, seeking ancient knowledge. (Lore-1: 2 5 6) She draws Intervene.
Diana heads to Buenos Airies, and acquires assets. (Influence: 3 6)
Daisy heads to Rome, also seeking ancient knowledge. (Observation: 5 6) She draws the Astronomy Guidebook.

Tendales posted:

1: Take a boat ticket in arkham

Technically, you can't do this. Finn comes later in the turn order than you do - as such, your actions come before he moves you to Arkham. I'll hold off on your and Finn's actions in case you both want to organize around each other.

Action Queue:
- Charlie: Buy assets (3 successes).
- Charlie: 1 Action.
- Diana: Buy assets (1 success). (This may depend on what Charlie does.)
- Jacqueline: 2 Actions.
- Finn: 2 Actions.

Charlie Kane (Some Numbers) - Lore 2, Influence 4, Observation 3, Strength 2, Will 2. 4/4 Health, 8/8 Sanity. 0 Clues, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.
Agnes Baker (Tricky) - Lore 4, Influence 3, Observation 2, Strength 2, Will 2. 7/7 Health, 5/5 Sanity. 0 Clues, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.
Diana Stanley (Mykkel) - Lore 4, Influence 2, Observation 3, Strength 3, Will 1. 7/7 Health, 5/5 Sanity. 0 Clues, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.
Jacqueline Fine (Tendales) - Lore 4, Influence 2, Observation 3, Strength 1, Will 3. 4/4 Health, 8/8 Sanity. 1 Clue, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.
Daisy Walker (Krysmphoenix) - Lore 4, Influence 3, Observation 2, Strength 1, Will 3. 5/5 Health, 7/7 Sanity. 0 Clues, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.
Finn Edwards (fool_of_sound) - Lore 2, Influence 3, Observation 3, Strength 2, Will 3. 6/6 Health, 6/6 Sanity. 0 Clues, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Why has the image capture tool started paying attention to the blank greenspace around the map? Vassal is a magical and special snowflake.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 7, 2016

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

fool_of_sound posted:

No skin off my back if you want to just go your own way, Tendales, but I think our current location is a city space, so you can do both your actions here, then move to Arkham on my turn.

Just to clarify, Tendales could take a train ticket at the current location, because the city has train tracks coming out of it. But you can only get ship tickets at a port.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

City Encounter.[/b]

Just to be sure - do you mean a City Generic encounter, or a San Fran?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

I, uh.

There's a difference? :psyduck:

San Fran encounters, as the city says, are more likely to offer improvements to Observation. However, there's a 'Generic City' option - usually drawn when you end your turn on a non-major City - and you do technically have the option to go for that, if you'd like. One is not strictly better than the other but the actual locations tend to have more effects.

Charlie hands out loot, picking up a Loan and a Ship Ticket.
The reserve refreshes.
Diana picks up the Conspiracy Theorist and a Loan.
The reserve refreshes again.
Jacqueline grabs a train ticket, and acquires assets. (Influence: 1 4)
Finn moves himself and Jacqueline to Arkham, then moves on to London.

Action Queue
- Jacqueline: Acquire assets (0 successes)

Charlie Kane (Some Numbers) - Lore 2, Influence 4, Observation 3, Strength 2, Will 2. 4/4 Health, 8/8 Sanity. 0 Clues, 0 Focus, 1 Ship Ticket.
Jacqueline Fine (Tendales) - Lore 4, Influence 2, Observation 3, Strength 1, Will 3. 4/4 Health, 8/8 Sanity. 1 Clue, 0 Focus, 1 Train Ticket.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

A Funding can either nullify taking a Debt, or it can be discarded instead of taking a debt. On a Reckoning you can choose to flip the card (with the implication that your funds have matured, or maybe have vanished).

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Yup, Influence test. Doesn't matter where you are. Theoretically, someone else on your space could do it for you, you know, if you wanted to gimp yourself.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Whoops, sorry, I thought it was a Task, not a Service.

Daisy draws the Arcane Tome (and her sheet has been updated).

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm just waiting on Tendales to confirm purchases and then we're good. 0 successes, but you could still get a Loan.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

e: Sorry, I'm stupid, you can't use the Investment on purchase. Hurr I can read cards.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Jacqueline pours too much money into an Investment, and... ... tries to... drown her sorrows?

Charlie Kane (Some Numbers) - Lore 2, Influence 4, Observation 3, Strength 2, Will 2. 4/4 Health, 8/8 Sanity. 0 Clues, 0 Focus, 1 Ship Ticket.
Jacqueline Fine (Tendales) - Lore 4, Influence 2, Observation 3, Strength 1, Will 3. 4/4 Health, 8/8 Sanity. 1 Clue, 0 Focus, 1 Train Ticket.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Tendales posted:

I should have the kerosene, too. More to cycle out the cards than out of any need. I'm sure that someone will need lighting on fire eventually.

Fixed up, sorry! Bit rusty.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TURN 1 - ENCOUNTER PHASE

Charlie Kane

San Francisco posted:

Inspector Jack Manion is looking for information about the Tongs in Chinatown. If you can help him, he'll teach you the basics of police work in exchange. You may spend 1 Clue to improve Observation.
Agnes Baker

Rome posted:

The Vatican Library is so vast! You ask a librarian for a recommendation. (Influence: 1 2 2)
Diana Stanley

Mysterious Disappearance posted:

A number of tourists have disappeared from a local inn during the night. The innkeeper isn't cooperating with the police, and you suspect foul play. You sneak into the inn at night to investigate. (Observation: 3 5 6) You discover a hidden door in the basement that leads down to an underground laboratory. (Lore: 2 2 4 5) If you pass, you recognize the experiments as alien in nature. Place this Clue on the active Mystery.
Jacqueline Fine

Arkham posted:

You try to gain access to an experiment at the University's Science Building. (Influence-1: 2) If you fail, you sneak in but are caught in the experiment: gain a Lost in Space and Time condition..

:cthulhu: Yo, what? That's a rough card out of nowhere.
Daisy Walker

Rome posted:

In a hidden room beneath the Colosseum, you find an ancient creature that once fought gladiators. Somehow, the terrible beast has survived and attacks you on sight. (Strength: 5) If you pass, you fend it off successfully.
Finn Edwards

London posted:

You search for the arcane symbols that permeate the city's architecture. (Observation: 3 4 5) If you pass, you use the city as a magical beacon - move up to 2 Clues on the board to London.
Finn also completes his Courier Run.

Courier Run posted:

You are guided into the inner room of the large mansion and instructed to sit in one of two large armchairs flanking the fireplace. You recognize a brass relief above the mantle as the symbol of the Silver Twilight Lodge. In the chair opposite you sits Carl Sanford. He inspects the parcel you've delivered before offering you the assistance of the Lodge. Gain 2 Spells or 2 random Weapon assets from the deck.
Action Queue
- Jacqueline: Spend Clue?
- Finn: Move Clues?
- Finn: Select Reward.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

LiTaS legit sucks and I dislike the whole mechanics of it. On the other hand you guys ticked the Mystery, have a way to grab the other clues to London to keep ticking the Mystery, and have drawn... what, a grand total of 8 assets now?

(If Finn had failed his roll he was also looking at drawing a LiTaS, but in his case that would have been hilarious because it'd block his courier run.)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Mythos update will be in a couple of hours.

e: Orrrr a bit longer. I forgot that the module doesn't have text on Mythos cards, and it'll be a bit before I'm home.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 8, 2016

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Jacqueline is Lost in Space and Time!
Finn collects the Axe and the Blunderbuss.

TURN 1 - MYTHOS PHASE

A Mythos card is drawn.

quote:

The Bermuda Triangle - Yellow: Omen, Reckoning, Spawn Gate

These sudden thunderstorms have grown more common. Twice a day, rain that smells like seawater floods the streets, and cold winds that cut like glass threaten to pull doors off their hinges.

Each investigator rolls 1 die. On a 1 or 2, he moves to space 8 and becomes Delayed.
The Omen moves to Blue.
There is a Reckoning.

Reckoning posted:

The Warlock's curse fires, affecting Diana! (Warlock roll: 1)
Charlie's Debt is collected!

An Unfortunate Accident posted:

Your lenders seemed forgiving when you told them you couldn't return the money you borrowed. Soon after the meeting, some intimidating thugs remind you it isn't good to abuse others' trust. Lose 1 Health and gain a Leg Injury Condition, then discard this card.
Diana's Conspiracy Theorist comes up with some crackpot new ideas, giving her a Clue! (4)
Diana's Debt is collected!

Debt Collector posted:

The man in the silk suit hands you a large stack of papers. "I believe you'll find this offer quite reasonable." His smile reminds you of a shark. It's clear that he will not take "no" for an answer. (Influence: 5 5) If you fail, discard 2 Item possessions. Then, discard this card.

Diana's Arcane Manuscripts are repossessed!
Jacqueline is Lost in Time and Space, and is not affected by Reckoning effects.
A Gate spawns in Miskatonic Outpost, together with a Wendigo.

The group, minus Jacqueline, roll for the Mythos event. (4 6 1 6 2) Diana and Finn are moved to the Bermuda triangle and Delayed!

TURN 2 - ACTION PHASE

Action Queue
- Charlie, Agnes, Daisy: 2 actions.

:cthulhu: Note that Jacqueline is Lost in Time and Space, so can't Flesh Ward Charlie. Generally speaking, I'll let you decide afterwards whether to use spells of that fashion.

Charlie Kane (Some Numbers) - Lore 2, Influence 4, Observation 3, Strength 2, Will 2 - 3/4 Health, 8/8 Sanity - 0 Clues, 0 Focus, 1 Ship Ticket.
Agnes Baker (Tricky) - Lore 4, Influence 3, Observation 2, Strength 2, Will 2 - 7/7 Health, 5/5 Sanity - 0 Clues, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.
Diana Stanley (Mykkel) - Lore 4, Influence 2, Observation 3, Strength 3, Will 1 - 7/7 Health, 5/5 Sanity - 1 Clue, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.
Jacqueline Fine (Tendales) - Lore 4, Influence 2, Observation 3, Strength 1, Will 3 - 4/4 Health, 8/8 Sanity - 1 Clue, 0 Focus, 1 Train Ticket.
Daisy Walker (Krysmphoenix) - Lore 4, Influence 3, Observation 2, Strength 1, Will 3 - 5/5 Health, 7/7 Sanity - 0 Clues, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.
Finn Edwards (fool_of_sound) - Lore 2, Influence 3, Observation 3, Strength 2, Will 3 - 6/6 Health, 6/6 Sanity - 0 Clues, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jun 8, 2016

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Krysmphoenix posted:

Can Charlie buy a charter flight to Antarctica for Diana or Finn? Because getting one or both of them to Antarctica would be a real big help.

As far as I can tell, he is not allowed to do this. The rules say 'when an investigator performs an acquire action, he may spend two successes to move to Miskatonic'. Charlie's ability says 'you may allow other investigators to gain any cards you purchase' - no card, no free flight. There's no FAQ / Errata over this that I can find, so it seems like it's a no-go.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TURN 2 - ACTION PHASE CONT.

Charlie rests up, restoring his health... but his leg still twinges. (Leg Injury: 3)
Charlie acquires assets. (Influence: 2 2 3 4 6 r2)
Agnes acquires assets, and then heads to Istanbul. (Influence: 6 6 6)
Daisy heads to London and rests up, surrounded by books. (Arcane Insight: 1 1 2 3 3 4 6) She picks up a Clue.

Arcane Insight, 1-2 successes posted:

Opening your mind to new knowledge provides stressful. Lose 1 Sanity.
Daisy, while resting, checks for new spells. (Lore: 2 5 5 5) She draws Banishment.

Action Queue
- Charlie: Buy assets. (1 success)
- Agnes: Buy assets. (3 successes)
- Move Lead Investigator?

Charlie Kane (Some Numbers) - Lore 2, Influence 4, Observation 3, Strength 2, Will 2 - 4/4 Health, 8/8 Sanity - 0 Clues, 0 Focus, 1 Ship Ticket.
Agnes Baker (Tricky) - Lore 4, Influence 3, Observation 2, Strength 2, Will 2 - 7/7 Health, 5/5 Sanity - 0 Clues, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.
Diana Stanley (Mykkel) - Lore 4, Influence 2, Observation 3, Strength 3, Will 1 - 7/7 Health, 5/5 Sanity - 1 Clue, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.
Jacqueline Fine (Tendales) - Lore 4, Influence 2, Observation 3, Strength 1, Will 3 - 4/4 Health, 8/8 Sanity - 1 Clue, 0 Focus, 1 Train Ticket.
Daisy Walker (Krysmphoenix) - Lore 4, Influence 3, Observation 2, Strength 1, Will 3 - 5/5 Health, 6/7 Sanity - 1 Clue, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.
Finn Edwards (fool_of_sound) - Lore 2, Influence 3, Observation 3, Strength 2, Will 3 - 6/6 Health, 6/6 Sanity - 0 Clues, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Diana becomes Lead Investigator.

Charlie picks up the Debt and the Cross.
The reserve refreshes.

Action Queue
- Agnes: Confirm assets. (3 successes)

Daisy Walker (Krysmphoenix) - Lore 4, Influence 3, Observation 2, Strength 1, Will 3 - 5/5 Health, 6/7 Sanity - 1 Clue, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.
Charlie Kane (Some Numbers) - Lore 2, Influence 4, Observation 3, Strength 2, Will 2 - 4/4 Health, 8/8 Sanity - 0 Clues, 0 Focus, 1 Ship Ticket.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Agnes picks up the Mystic Bounty Hunter.
The reserve refreshes again!

Encounter Phase incoming...

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TURN 2 - ENCOUNTER PHASE

Combat

Agnes takes on a Ghoul, activating Storm of Spirits!
    Sanity Check - Will+1 vs 1: 2 2 5 r3 - No Sanity loss.
    Combat Check - Lore vs 2: 2 3 4 5 5 6 - No Health loss. The Ghoul dies.

Storm of Spirits, 1+ success posted:

You summon the spirits of retribution that grow only more vicious when their master is harmed. For each Health you lose from the test, you may spend 1 Sanity. The Monster loses 1 Health for each Sanity you spend.
Encounters

Diana Stanley

Sea posted:

You find a terrified stowaway aboard your ship. You attempt to comfort him and coax him into telling you his story. (Influence: 4 5) No further text.
Jacqueline Fine

Lost in Time an Space: Swarming Masses posted:

Among a swirling mass of stars, you discover swarms of alien beings that feast upon each other without hesitation. You try to find your way home without being noticed. (Observation-1: 2 4) If you fail, spawn 1 Gate and resolve a Monster Surge on that space, then place your Investigator on that space and become Delayed. Then discard this card.

A Gate (and Jacqueline) spawns on The Pyramids, together with a Cultist, a Dhole, and a Ghoul.
Daisy Walker

Mysterious Disappearances posted:

You've been deputized to lead a police raid on a warehouse believed to be a safehouse for the human trafficking ring. (Influence: 1 2 2) The raiding party is restless, and charges before you give the command, only to set off a magical trap. The building is incinerated, leaving no survivors. Lose 2 Sanity.
Finn Edwards

Sea posted:

A sudden storm descends upon you and strong winds whip around your vessel. Huge waves toss your ship around like a toy, and you are thrown to the deck repeatedly. Lose 1 Sanity, and gain a Back Injury condition.
Charlie Kane

San Francisco posted:

A tall, gaunt man with a bald, skull-like head introduces himself as Surama and offers to teach you the secrets of Atlantis. However, you can sense that he is trying to manipulate you as he speaks. You may gain a Dark Pact condition to improve Observation and one other skill of your choice.
Agnes Baker

Gate: The Future posted:

You stand in Times Square, New York, but not as you know it. The streets are empty, and the bulidings have crumbled to dust. It appears that you will fail to save the world, and you try desperately not to fall into despair. (Will-1: 5) You get to your feet and find what is left of the Central Library. The books you find there prove useful; close this Gate. Deep in the basement of the library, you dig through the archives, searching for information about the fall of man. (Observation: 2 5) If you pass, gain 2 Clues.

Action Queue
- All: Clues, etc.
- Charlie: Take the deal?
- Agnes: Move to Plateau of Leng?

Daisy Walker (Krysmphoenix) - Lore 4, Influence 3, Observation 2, Strength 1, Will 3 - 5/5 Health, 4/7 Sanity - 1 Clue, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.
Finn Edwards (fool_of_sound) - Lore 2, Influence 3, Observation 3, Strength 2, Will 3 - 6/6 Health, 5/6 Sanity - 0 Clues, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.
Agnes Baker (Tricky) - Lore 4, Influence 3, Observation 2, Strength 2, Will 2 - 7/7 Health, 5/5 Sanity - 2 Clues, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Tendales posted:

e: Also, seriously, delayed on the heels of LiTaS? This game doesn't want me to play.

I wasn't certain if you wanted to pop a Clue on that one, since it's a pretty big effect.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TURN 2 - ENCOUNTER PHASE CONT.

Charlie improves Influence and Observation in exchange for a Dark Pact.
Jacqueline pops a Clue! (3) ... but the future refused to change...
Jacqueline also takes a peek at Charlie's Dark Pact.

Dark Pact: All Is Lost posted:

The agreement you made seemed necessary at the time, but now you regret signing that pact. The sinister beings have come to claim what is yours: blood, knowledge, and hope. Discard all of your possessions and Improvement tokens, and lose all but 1 Health and 1 Sanity. Then discard this card.
Anges moves to the Plateau of Leng.

TURN 2 - MYTHOS PHASE

A Mythos card is drawn. 18 cards remain.

Mythos posted:

A Call To Duty - :angel: - Green (Omen, Surge, Clues)

"This is not an issue the syndicate can resolve via normal channels." The well-dressed agent passes a sealed envelope across the table to you. "We need your help, and trust you can be discreet."

The Lead Investigator gains 2 Task Unique Assets, and then chooses one to discard.
The Omen moves to Red.
There is a Monster Surge at Miskatonic Outpost! A Shan and a Haunting Horror appear there.
Clues spawn at San Francisco, Shanghai, and space 13.

Diana draws Sacrifices to Make and For the Greater Good.

TURN 3 - ACTION PHASE

Action Queue
- Diana: Choose a Task to discard.
- Diana, Daisy, Finn, Charlie, Agnes: 2 actions.

Daisy Walker (Krysmphoenix) - Lore 4, Influence 3, Observation 2, Strength 1, Will 3 - 5/5 Health, 4/7 Sanity - 1 Clue, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.
Finn Edwards (fool_of_sound) - Lore 2, Influence 3, Observation 3, Strength 2, Will 3 - 6/6 Health, 5/6 Sanity - 0 Clues, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.
Agnes Baker (Tricky) - Lore 4, Influence 3, Observation 2, Strength 2, Will 2 - 7/7 Health, 5/5 Sanity - 2 Clues, 0 Focus, 0 Tickets.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Greater Good is usually turbo-hilarious, if you can pull it off.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm on the way to work so I can't immediately check, but I thought LI could be moved at the start of each round, ie before any actions are resolved. My phone cannot cope with FFG's pdf files.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

After each Mythos Phase.

Right, but that's fundamentally the same as 'the start of each new turn' - since you guys haven't run any actions yet, you're fine to switch Lead Investigator around by committee if you'd like.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Mykkel posted:

Encounter is Combat.

Do also add what you intend to do if the monsters are cleared from the space i.e. Gate or Wilderness!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TURN 3 - ACTION PHASE CONT.

Diana discards For the Greater Good. For reference, this one would have destroyed all monsters on spaces containing Gates, then wiped all Gates off the board, then devoured Diana at no Doom penalty. For the Greater Good rules.
Diana trades with Finn, then Focuses.
Jacqueline is having a bit of a nap.
Finn launches himself and one passenger off towards the Pyramids.
Charlie clears his Debt easily (Influence: 2 4 4 6 6 6 r6) and then ships Diana to the Pyramids.
Agnes racks her brain (Lore-1: 4 4 4) and heads to the City of the Elder Things.

From here on out I'm going to assume Agnes is Storm of Spiritsing because maaaaan did she draw lucky on that one.

I'm not sure what to do regarding Focus tokens and rolls. Should I treat them as auto-use if you're going to fail? Since they're consumable I should probably treat them as after-the-fact, I guess.

Action Queue
- Diana: Spend Health to activate your Task?
- Daisy: 2 actions.
- Jacqueline: Confirming whether you're kerosening + your priorities for Flesh Ward ahead of time would be generally handy for speed purposes.

Diana Stanley (Mykkel) - Lore 4, Influence 2, Observation 3, Strength 3, Will 1 - 7/7 Health, 5/5 Sanity - 1 Clue, 1 Focus, 0 Tickets.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TURN 3 - ACTION PHASE CONT.

Diana ticks up her task.
Daisy rests up, failing to learn anything from her journal (Observation: 2 3) but successfully plumbing the Tome. (Lore: 2 2 3 6) She draws Blessing of Isis.
Daisy casts Banishment. (Lore+2+Arcane Tome: 2 2 2 2 3 4 5 6)

Banishment, 1-2 successes posted:

You glimpse through the portal, and the world you see shakes your nerves. Lose 1 Sanity.
The Ghoul is banished!

Having to keep monsters stat-side up is annoying, but I'd prefer it to having to write out lists of which monsters have what stats. poo poo used to kill me.

Diana Stanley (Mykkel) - Lore 4, Influence 2, Observation 3, Strength 3, Will 1 - 6/7 Health, 5/5 Sanity - 1 Clue, 1 Focus, 0 Tickets.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Stelas posted:

Having to keep monsters stat-side up is annoying, but I'd prefer it to having to write out lists of which monsters have what stats. poo poo used to kill me.

Counterpoint: I just realized that the enemy that gives out allies is a Cultist. This was mentioned as spawning in the previous Encounter post, but people might have missed it, and this turn might have gone a bit differently if that had been more clear. (i.e. you could make a case for moving LI, having Diana go after Finn and sweeping the Cultists + other monsters off the space.) If you guys want to fiddle around in that manner you can, it'll basically cost Diana's focus because she'd be using that action for the sweep instead.

Technically this would also free up Finn and Daisy to have an extra action each. It's a bit of a retcon but not a major one and I'm happy to play it either way. Alternatively I can go ahead on the assumption that Diana takes out the Cultist first to get the Ally.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Slightly delayed due to internet outage, please hold...

• Locked thread