Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What should the Cena/New Day alliance be called?
Rappad-O's
The 8-Bit Bros
GI Joe & My Little Pony Unicorns
The White Guy is The Rapper
View Results

• Locked thread
Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Endless Mike posted:

EDIT: Not gonna lie, as much as I love Enzo, being the guy who gets his rear end beaten is exactly what he should be. He's never going to be a singles champion and wouldn't look at all legitimate as one beyond doing a Mikey Whipwreck thing.

Sorry Steve, you're just not marketable. You're barely over 6 feet, you've got no body definition, you're bald, and you just come out in those plain black trunks. You'll never be anything worthwhile.

Also small guys will never draw Mr. McGregor, please go back to Ireland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I also think them talking so much about The Shield points to Dean holding MITB but WWE and logic have a very tumultuous relationship so who knows.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Sanguinia posted:

Sorry Steve, you're just not marketable. You're barely over 6 feet, you've got no body definition, you're bald, and you just come out in those plain black trunks. You'll never be anything worthwhile.

Also small guys will never draw Mr. McGregor, please go back to Ireland.

Conor McGregor would never get away with any of the poo poo he pulls in WWE.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

If it's any consolation, maybe WWE will bring back the Cruiserweight division, and then, much like McGregor proved against Nate Diaz, all the little guys will be able to beat each other but be make to be complete jokes by anyone bigger than them.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Tyler Breeze and Fandango are good. Let's have more of that.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Because this is what would happen

Solus posted:

Because Roman will get booed otherwise

I mean, sure, but that's been the case for like two years now and they've been just gutting it out this whole time, not giving a gently caress and trying to fix it in post so they can pretend it didn't happen, so I'm wondering what apparently changed now.

ShakeZula posted:

Yeah, they can't put Roman out there in front of the crowd for too long, since the boos only seem to get stronger over the course of a segment. And I wonder if they're trying to keep Rollins' in-ring workload light to ensure he makes it to the PPV at 100%.

There's also the issue where the guys that would make for even a remotely credible threat to either Reigns or Rollins are all involved in the MitB build, and thus unavailable. No sense risking Rollins' knee or Roman's pride for the sake of a nothing TV match.

if roman can't reliably work weekly matches against the Kanes of the world to remind kids he's there how can we ever truly trust him to be the new John Cena

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Why would you blow Cena/Styles on a lovely C Tier PPV with no stakes

why

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

They're trying pretty hard to make Money in the Bank a big deal. "A guaranteed new champion! A Wrestlemania main event calibre match! A dream match over a decade in the making!"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah MITB has been the biggest non-big-4 PPV for a while and is arguably bigger than Survivor Series at least

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Alain Post posted:

yeah MITB has been the biggest non-big-4 PPV for a while and is arguably bigger than Survivor Series at least

If anything I'd say MitB has usurped SS for Big 4-tier. Survivor Series is definitely B-tier and has been for like 6 years.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

in any case, the heat level of that crowd during their first promo says that is a money draw

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
One positive if they've decided Roman is THE GUY now is that they might not immediately go 'oh god John Cena sold one less shirt after losing, have him beat up AJ Styles and make him cry and beg for mercy and then throw him in a garbage truck'

Korelle
Sep 18, 2010

Efexeye posted:

Why would you blow Cena/Styles on a lovely C Tier PPV with no stakes

why

MITB has been an A tier top 4 PPV since 2011.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
it's okay because AJ will get to lose at SummerSlam too

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

SomeMathGuy posted:

A Wrestlemania main event calibre match!

Like HHH vs. Reigns

Marquis de Pyro posted:

One positive if they've decided Roman is THE GUY now is that they might not immediately go 'oh god John Cena sold one less shirt after losing, have him beat up AJ Styles and make him cry and beg for mercy and then throw him in a garbage truck'

Probably not though

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Kevin Owens needs to win the Briefcase so that when Sami Zayn wins the title off Roman, he can cash in to better support his family.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Korelle posted:

MITB has been an A tier top 4 PPV since 2011.

IMO MITB miiight be the second most eventful PPV of the year at this point.

The Big 4 are now MITB, Summerslam, Rumble, and Mania IMO, and I think the importance of those four might go Mania, MITB, Rumble, Summerslam, though obviously it's tight.

I say this because for the most part, MITB has always been the crowning of a new star (or at least the beginning of said journey) in some way. Punk, Bryan, Rollins, and to a degree even Miz.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I say this because for the most part, MITB has always been the crowning of a new star (or at least the beginning of said journey) in some way. Punk, Bryan, Rollins, and to a degree even Miz.

Amazing careers such as Jack Swagger and 2015 Sheamus

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Which pay-per-views have important matches on them seems to vary, outside of the big 3. I don't think there's a clear-cut #4 every year. I still suspect one or both of the big singles matches will have a screwy non-definitive finish, call me old fashioned.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Go RV! posted:

That's Hollywood Star Sheamus actually

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Go RV! posted:

Let's not forget the amazing post-MITB career of Damian Sandow.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Efexeye posted:

in any case, the heat level of that crowd during their first promo says that is a money draw

Hell, I was sort of on the fence over whether or not to resub to the network for takeover and when I saw we were getting Cena/AJ it made it a no brainer.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

RacistGuidingLight posted:

This time she was kneed in the face by a ref. Before that I think she hit the the turnbuckle bad. I'm pretty sure one of the many many times she landed on her loving neck put her out. Next week she's getting tangled in some tuna nets.

You really are the best poster here.

I just want you to know that.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Go RV! posted:

Swagger was when they had two cases, and I said for the MOST part.

If you're seriously arguing that MITB hasn't largely shifted into a "new star making" vehicle, I don't know what to tell you. It's pretty much the only consistent one WWE has/uses now.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

If you're seriously arguing that MITB hasn't largely shifted into a "new star making" vehicle, I don't know what to tell you. It's pretty much the only consistent one WWE has/uses now.

I would seriously argue that. Look at the track record, just look at it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWE_Money_in_the_Bank

I mean, they might think that they're making stars with this thing, but recent history does not bear that out. Regardless, it's anything but consistent.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 14 minutes!
The new up and coming star, Sheamus

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

I would seriously argue that. Look at the track record, just look at it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWE_Money_in_the_Bank

I mean, they might think that they're making stars with this thing, but recent history does not bear that out. Regardless, it's anything but consistent.

I did look at it, and I'm including Punk's title win, which wasn't MITB-related but it occurred at the show.

Since 2011, MITB has been something of a launching bad (and in some cases a direct launching pad) for Miz back when they gave a poo poo about him (or at least pretended to and wanted us to take him seriously), Punk, Bryan, Rollins, hell even Ziggler who IMO got derailed by the concussion thing. Also sorta ADR, Let's say that's 4-6 guys in 5 years depending on which ones you wanna count or not.

Some of you people are really obtuse. Of course Sheamus and Orton and Cena aren't/weren't new stars but MITB is now an event PPV for WWE and is often the most likely point for a guy to get pushed up the card.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I can only hope my TEW game becomes reality and Sheamus beats Roman Reigns for the title at the 2017 Royal Rumble, and then enters the Rumble immediately afterward and wins that as well

#wewantsheamus

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I did look at it, and I'm including Punk's title win, which wasn't MITB-related but it occurred at the show.

Since 2011, MITB has been something of a launching bad (and in some cases a direct launching pad) for Miz back when they gave a poo poo about him (or at least pretended to and wanted us to take him seriously), Punk, Bryan, Rollins, hell even Ziggler who IMO got derailed by the concussion thing. Also sorta ADR, Let's say that's 4-6 guys in 5 years depending on which ones you wanna count or not.

Some of you people are really obtuse. Of course Sheamus and Orton and Cena aren't/weren't new stars but MITB is now an event PPV for WWE and is often the most likely point for a guy to get pushed up the card.

MITB is an indication of someone they want to push in that moment (maybe), but you can't seriously consider Ziggler and ADR as having been made, certainly not by the case. If your argument is that MITB is a big deal, well, it probably could be, but their willingness to put it on people like Sheamus, and Dave's statements that the winners are determined basically last minute with no plan for them going forward makes it far less likely than, say, the Rumble as an indicator of a sustained push.

In other news, Luke Harper is going to be in a movie I'm genuinely excited for and looks dope a.f.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/07/mohawk-ted-geoghegan

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
MITB has become a fun proxy for the theoretical "upset" Rumble win that doesn't/shouldn't ever happen. You tend to get a newish guy pushed into the title mix, which is always welcome. The booking of the cash-in itself is kind of a storytelling crutch at this point, but at least it advances WWE's overall narrative more than a modern Wrestlemania tends to at this point.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
I mean WM32 was basically removed from canon 24 hours later outside of the result of roman reigns winning (steph was even pretty much face again like 3 weeks later too after being rita from power rangers). also lmao @ the summerslam card last year. basically no ppvs are important and nothing matters

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I hope the secret 7th competitor in the MITB match is it's eventual winner and future 15 time world champion, the Game.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My argument is that MITB has been a PPV where big things either happen or are set up more than all but a couple other WWE shows.

MITB is an A-Tier show now.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

My argument is that MITB has been a PPV where big things either happen or are set up more than all but a couple other WWE shows.

MITB is an A-Tier show now.

By default, I guess. It only has gravity because almost nothing else has gravity. And even MITB is worthless when someone like Sheamus has it. If the standard for 'big things' is 'WWE paints themselves into another impossible corner they have to book their way out of', then MITB is all about them thaaaangs

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Being Mr. Money in the Bank is a big deal, but I think the cash-in is a bigger deal than the match. It's kinda cool to know that somebody has a plot device title shot sometime in the next year coming up though. I think looking for in-stone "A-tier" or Big 4 thing is kind of overanalyzing it, WWE just puts on a network/PPV card every month. Sometimes they're stalling for time, sometimes they'll do something big.

But! If Rollins wins, I'll agree.

Also why isn't RVD in this MitB match. He should just be in every one, as part of the stipulation.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 7, 2016

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Golashes posted:

basically no ppvs are important and nothing matters

Then. Now. Forever.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

SomeMathGuy posted:

Then. Now. Forever.

What about the one where Bork suplexed everybody?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The briefcase being a proxy title for people to feud over in itself is interesting, but does make me question why they don't just have another belt.

I hope they don't go back to two briefcases next year with the brand split.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Tyler Breeze and Fandango are good. Let's have more of that.

I'm really glad it wasn't a one time thing and they started escalating it; bringing back the VIP lounge, having them dress the same, giving them a mashup remix, etc.

Their gimmicks mesh so well. Over the past couple weeks they've also been mashing words together to describe themselves, which is a lot of fun. Last week was "Gorgeolicious", this week it was "Aerogigantic". :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
Even Sheamus winning last year, wasn't the original plan him cashing in on Roman around May to now to promote TMNT2? Then Seth's knee blew out and changed everything

• Locked thread