Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Leds are now basically the same as the old lights but they save you a ton of money over their invetment. And nowadays they're cheap. You can probably spend a hundred bux and swap evey bulb in your house. That hundred bucks will pay itself off in lower utility bills and sense that you're doing right for mother earth. Sorry for spelling I'm phone posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I did do this you dumb moron!!

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Done and done because gently caress putting 60/120w of heat into my room for no loving reason

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Still have those high efficiency ones with the mercury in. Going to burn those out first

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Then im going to grind them down and sell the powder to TCC >: )

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

OfficialGBSCaliph posted:

Then im going to grind them down and sell the powder to TCC >: )

now thats savvy business acumen

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

good LEDs aren't cheap, especially not if you're replacing halogen bulbs

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

LethalGeek posted:

Done and done because gently caress putting 60/120w of heat into my room for no loving reason

Totally!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

OfficialGBSCaliph posted:

Still have those high efficiency ones with the mercury in. Going to burn those out first

Do you grow weed?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

It's actually pretty dumb to early adopt energy efficient technology when the install costs are still coming down faster than you'd make it back in energy. And if you're committing to a light bulb for the next decade the light quality had better be perfect. I think LEDs have hit this critical point but I think it's totally reasonable to have held out until now.

Also be careful with existing fixtures, if they aren't sufficiently vented they can overheat and bulbs, especially low quality ones, fail very quickly.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
what if i use my lightbulbs to keep my house warm? you ever think of that poindexter?

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Led lights are way better because I only get motivated to do housework maybe once a month and I can't be bothered to fix light bulbs when there's better things to do (jack off and eat cheetos)

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

King of Bees posted:

Do you grow weed?

no but there is a thin coat of black mold behind the chest of drawers where i keep my underpants. something to do with the ivy on the outside wall.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

gender illusionist posted:

what if i use my lightbulbs to keep my house warm? you ever think of that poindexter?

someone else did and probably got rich of it

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/energy/blogs/skirting-eu-law-the-rebranding-of-incandescent-bulbs-as-heat-balls

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The only LEDs I have are the ones Portland electric gave us for free. They're expensive, I'm poor, and home depot doesn't give employee discounts.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
I am working through my CFLs and will switch when they all die. The savings of LED vs CFL doesn't justify an earlyswitch. Thanks for reading

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I switched because I can't be bothered hunting for new lightbulbs every 5 minutes when an incandescent lightbulb dies. The things are like mayflies, so the convenience is worth the extra expenditure alone. Reducing my lighting electricity bill by 90%+ is not bad, either.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Hell I went the extra step of replacing an entire hallway fixture and outside light because they used loving halogen bulbs :gonk:

There's one left in the bathroom that's gonna get ripped out.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Hey OP... No, gently caress you.

Do the math on exactly how long it takes to pay off that 100 dollars and if it's not totally ridiculous I'll go buy them tonight and document their install in my house.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Dave_Indeed posted:

Hey OP... No, gently caress you.

Do the math on exactly how long it takes to pay off that 100 dollars and if it's not totally ridiculous I'll go buy them tonight and document their install in my house.

I did the math it takes one day

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
i HAVE switched you motherfuckre!! butt out of my lighting situation! sheesh

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
My old fluorescents haven't burned out yet. I'm down to like 6 but they keep on truckin, man. I only have one LED bulb in the house, lighting the bathroom all by it's lonesome and it's peaches but the rest of the house is full of brown-ballasted spiral bulbs that refuse to die.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Wulfolme posted:

My old fluorescents haven't burned out yet. I'm down to like 6 but they keep on truckin, man. I only have one LED bulb in the house, lighting the bathroom all by it's lonesome and it's peaches but the rest of the house is full of brown-ballasted spiral bulbs that refuse to die.

You know there's fuckin stories to be told here. My bedroom is down to one lonely Soft White 60W equivalent that flickers when I turn it on. It's brothers have died and passed on but it labors still, fighting the good fight to light up a room that I only really use when the lights are off. The bathroom light fixture has 3 sockets, and the other two have live fluorescents in them. I just unscrewed them enough to unplug them because I didn't have a good place to store the sumbitches and the lone LED bulb is more than enough in there. I had a full daylight color set and a soft white set, (blueish and yellowish) because I wasn't sure which one I liked more, so now I have poo poo all mix n'matched with yellow and blueish bulbs sharing the same ceiling fan as they wait to burn out and get replaced.

My parents got a fuckin' full room set with a dimmer switch for their living room.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I use candle light.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

P-Mack posted:

Also be careful with existing fixtures, if they aren't sufficiently vented they can overheat and bulbs, especially low quality ones, fail very quickly.

Why is that the case? I replaced a good 30 or so high hats in my house with LED fixtures (they look great too because the high hat is part of the bulb sort of) and I noticed how incredibly cool they run. If I touched them when they were regular bulbs it would be really hot. Now that they are LEDs they feel the same as if they were off or running all day.

Why would they need better cooling is what I am asking. Also what is the danger? Thanks.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Propane grilling for sure. I just don't have the patience or prescience for charcoal.

Nicomo
Jan 22, 2015
My dad replaced all the bulbs in his house with LED and can't stop going on about how much money he's saved on his electricity bill.

realtalk though it is fairly significant

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Why is that the case? I replaced a good 30 or so high hats in my house with LED fixtures (they look great too because the high hat is part of the bulb sort of) and I noticed how incredibly cool they run. If I touched them when they were regular bulbs it would be really hot. Now that they are LEDs they feel the same as if they were off or running all day.

Why would they need better cooling is what I am asking. Also what is the danger? Thanks.

It's like a car with the windows rolled up on a sunny day. A little heat builds up into oven temperature because it has nowhere to go. Your fixtures are probably ventilated enough that the trickle of heat escapes.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Ork of Fiction posted:

Propane grilling for sure. I just don't have the patience or prescience for charcoal.

Pro tip: replace your lights with propane. Enjoy the clean burning flame!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I switch back to Nat gas burning

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I'm gonna burn my house down

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Captain Yossarian posted:

I'm gonna burn my house down

Yeah. But what if your matches and lighter are done?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I've been moving around every few months for work, so gently caress paying mad dollars for led bulbs that I'm going to leave behind.

My parents got these fancy ones for their living room, and we worked out that I'd take about three or four years for them to pay themselves off.

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003
I am replacing my halogens with LED's as they go out. Doing whole rooms at a time. If you have dimmers in your house for your old lights you are going to need to change them to LED rated ones if you at all notice your new LED's flickering (you probably will). It will trip you out the first time you see it because it happens so quickly you aren't quite sure of what you saw, if anything at all.

Dimmers are like 30 to 50 dollars a piece for a single pole / three way switch. depending on how fancy you decide to get with it.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

The "bulb" part isn't hot and overall they generate much less heat, but there's a bunch of electronic stuff at the base that heats up. An old totally enclosed fixture might not have anywhere for that heat to go because that wasn't the hot part on regular bulbs and it didn't matter anyway.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Airborne Viking posted:

Uh, you want the other King of Bees thread, bud.

How do you mean?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I love my bluetooth LED lights.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

led lights are just like leds but they have fewer calories and less taste. why would i pay for fewer calories and less taste? that seems insane. absurd. preposterous. i'll stick with normal lights, thanks but no thanks.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Airborne Viking posted:

I've been moving around every few months for work, so gently caress paying mad dollars for led bulbs that I'm going to leave behind.

My parents got these fancy ones for their living room, and we worked out that I'd take about three or four years for them to pay themselves off.

I move every year and I've just been taking my led bulbs with me and leaving the cheapest garbage incandescents I can find in their place, I hope they burn down all my old apartments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
edit: ^^^ I suppose I could do that, truth is I'm waiting for LED bulbs to get cheaper ^^^

Ork of Fiction posted:

How do you mean?

clever girl

• Locked thread