Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Airborne Viking posted:

I've been moving around every few months for work, so gently caress paying mad dollars for led bulbs that I'm going to leave behind.

My parents got these fancy ones for their living room, and we worked out that I'd take about three or four years for them to pay themselves off.

Wtf you bring them with you

Dammit, beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
I'm on the payroll of Big Tungsten

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

satanic splash-back posted:

led lights are just like leds but they have fewer calories and less taste. why would i pay for fewer calories and less taste? that seems insane. absurd. preposterous. i'll stick with normal lights, thanks but no thanks.

I think they call them "blues" now instead of lights.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Warning to everyone in this thread: you are now on Phoebus' list. Be very careful what you say about lightbulbs in the future.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/geek-life/history/the-great-lightbulb-conspiracy

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

King of Bees posted:

I did the math it takes one day

*reviews the scientific data briefly*

*returns to masturbating in the laundry hamper*

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i already switched to those dumb bendy tube lights. im not going to switch to some new kind of light bulb every 2 years! lets just stick with the bendy tube ones for a while, we have enough change these days

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Nanomashoes posted:

Warning to everyone in this thread: you are now on Phoebus' list. Be very careful what you say about lightbulbs in the future.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/geek-life/history/the-great-lightbulb-conspiracy

Planned obsolescence is one of the great pillars of capitalism. You must be some commie scum who hates America and Freedom.

Dave_Indeed posted:

*reviews the scientific data briefly*

*returns to masturbating in the laundry hamper*

Like, into, or are you sitting in it like a cat or something?

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Pope Mobile posted:

Planned obsolescence is one of the great pillars of capitalism. You must be some commie scum who hates America and Freedom.

Sitting in it like a cat or something.

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.
I am down with the LEDs except in gooseneck and armature lamps. Those suckers are heavy as hell.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
They don't work right with my dimmer switches from the 70s and you can't put them in fluorescent fixtures but I'm switching over everything else.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Volcott posted:

They don't work right with my dimmer switches from the 70s and you can't put them in fluorescent fixtures but I'm switching over everything else.

Get yourself some Caseta dimmers from Lutron. They work with LEDs and you can turn your lights on and off with Alexa (Amazon Echo) and you don't need to do that stupid Philips Hue thing and have every individual bulb connected to wifi.

Wulfolme posted:

It's like a car with the windows rolled up on a sunny day. A little heat builds up into oven temperature because it has nowhere to go. Your fixtures are probably ventilated enough that the trickle of heat escapes.

P-Mack posted:

The "bulb" part isn't hot and overall they generate much less heat, but there's a bunch of electronic stuff at the base that heats up. An old totally enclosed fixture might not have anywhere for that heat to go because that wasn't the hot part on regular bulbs and it didn't matter anyway.

Well my fixtures are just the normal 6" cans that were already in the ceiling. They have a hole or two I guess. I suppose I could drill more in them or something.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Volcott posted:

you can't put them in fluorescent fixtures .

Like this kind of fluorescent fixture?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Pope Mobile posted:

This is actually kind of bullshit. The reason for setting a standard lifespan was to avoid thr inevitable race to the bottom as manufactuers would otherwise have ended up making shittier snd shittier bulbs to sell them for cheaper, since the lifespan of s bulb is really hard for cinsumers to figure out and most just look at the price and nothing else

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I need one for this mini-candelabra base because holy poo poo the halogen bulbs burn out fast and are in general really bad. All I can find is some really dim bulbs, I need like 1000 lumens or something I dunno.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
I've switched some. I don't like the color of the light. Incandescent still has the best warm yellow. CFLs have come a long way and are almost as good looking, super cheap and run forever. LEDs just need to improve the color, they look unnatural like fluorescent used to.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

That yellow tint sucks you're just so used that being the normal. Get daylight ones and accept the future.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

energy savings from LEDs only mean that people will use more lights.

it's human nature.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

i have a motion sensing LED fixture that turns on and off when i masturbate. i call it the "Smart Fapper"

OlmanRiver
Mar 30, 2011
LED bulbs give me a terrible headache. The light just makes me feel anxious and the color just seems "wrong". I would much rather buy real bulbs and spend however many dollars a month it costs, then to have my house look and feel like being in a walmart.

Its the same as when you see someone with those blue LED headlights coming at you at night down the highway, it just messes your head up.

They are fine for outside or like the unfinished basement.

OlmanRiver fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 8, 2016

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
A few months ago I got a Philips Hue hub and 2 color changing LED lights for like $150. 4 months later I now own ~26 of them at $60 a piece, plus a few lightstrips strategically placed. The cool thing is when I have hot sexy women over I can dim them and turn them red using my Amazon Echo via voice control and it's great for sexy time in between posting in GBS.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Poetic Justice posted:

A few months ago I got a Philips Hue hub and 2 color changing LED lights for like $150. 4 months later I now own ~26 of them at $60 a piece, plus a few lightstrips strategically placed. The cool thing is when I have hot sexy women over I can dim them and turn them red using my Amazon Echo via voice control and it's great for sexy time in between posting in GBS.

Holy poo poo

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Beef City posted:

I did do this you dumb moron!!

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

King of Bees posted:

Holy poo poo

Don't fall for LED's, they are a cult.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Poetic Justice posted:

Don't fall for LED's, they are a cult.

I only use mine when I play my most heavy metal albums

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
More like LEB's lmao! (the B stands for bad)

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

my house is haunted, so all the extra paranormal activity creates enough light for me to read by at night

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I replace the bulbs as they burn out. No point in just throwing away a working bulb.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've been doing a reno for the last while, so I'm upgrading the lighting at the same time. All new led fixtures everywhere.

Also the garage is fully lit with led strips now, and I don't have to give a poo poo if I leave them on all the time.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
People who run daylight or blue/white bulbs in their homes are sycophants

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
"daylight" / cool white bulbs look good - if the room they're in has cooler color tones. Otherwise they look weird and the light is not relaxing.

I prefer the color temperature to be about 3500k - 4000k and it's annoying that it's hard to find LED bulbs that aren't imitating the standard 2700k incandescent tone.

:spergin: about light bulbs itt

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I'll look into it but first I still have 300 gallons of whale oil to burn through.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hey assholes, you can choose what color temp you want the LED bulb in now a days. I have soft yellows that are the just about same as the old poo poo bulbs. Wise up jerks. Also we have a lot of chandelier/fan light systems and immediately started saving a little over $20 a month. The cost to install all of the lights was about $80. You bums.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
LED lights are a big part of the reason weed is being legalized. It's impossible to stop anybody from growing it in their closet, because you don't need special high voltage sodium lamps and whatnot.

Most of law enforcement knows its an unwinnable fight when anybody can buy a 200 dollar "grow your own cilantro" hyrdoponics kit at walmart and start supplying his own :420:

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Sten Freak posted:

I've switched some. I don't like the color of the light. Incandescent still has the best warm yellow. CFLs have come a long way and are almost as good looking, super cheap and run forever. LEDs just need to improve the color, they look unnatural like fluorescent used to.

They come in whatever color/temp you want. Pay attention to what you buy next time.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
will LED lights work in my Easy Bake Oven?

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
barn lights in canada or other places with Real Winter (tm) where you need to be able to see when it's dark (20 hours a day) are still legit uses for oldschool bulbs

"cold start" is lies I tell you

Rutibex posted:

will LED lights work in my Easy Bake Oven?

Yes; in fact they make WAY better chocolate pudding than the old kind

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
or.. OR... i could wait a couple of years for the new incandescents that are more energy efficient than leds

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/03/12/return-of-incandescent-light-bulbs-as-mit-makes-them-more-effici/

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Drink Cheerwine posted:

or.. OR... i could wait a couple of years for the new incandescents that are more energy efficient than leds

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/03/12/return-of-incandescent-light-bulbs-as-mit-makes-them-more-effici/

yeah you could wait for mystery science that every year they announce is "just years away", like uber-efficient incandescents, fusion, better batteries, mega efficient solar panels, flying cars

or buy the efficient bulbs that are cheap and on the shelves right now

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
They had these really cool Edison LED bulbs at the hardware store but they were expensive and I don't have any lamps that will show them of because showing off the bulb has not been a feature in most lamps for the past forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

LethalGeek posted:

That yellow tint sucks you're just so used that being the normal. Get daylight ones and accept the future.

too much blue light is hard on the eyes and messes up your sleep

• Locked thread