Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

crabcakes66 posted:

They come in whatever color/temp you want. Pay attention to what you buy next time.

until recently soft white leds were super expensive and looked kind of lovely. theyve gotten better these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

"daylight" / cool white bulbs look good - if the room they're in has cooler color tones. Otherwise they look weird and the light is not relaxing.

I prefer the color temperature to be about 3500k - 4000k and it's annoying that it's hard to find LED bulbs that aren't imitating the standard 2700k incandescent tone.

:spergin: about light bulbs itt

if you care taht much you can get adjustable ones liek phillips hue or whatever

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
My wife leaves the lights on all the time so LEDs are p good

Also 3000k is god's colour temperature

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
can hardly say they're saving you money now that they're the standard. sure is cheaper than the whale oil ive been using to illuminate my house for the last 400 years even though it burns clean and doesnt leave a noticeable smell

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

reallivedinosaur posted:

yeah you could wait for mystery science that every year they announce is "just years away", like uber-efficient incandescents, fusion, better batteries, mega efficient solar panels, flying cars

or buy the efficient bulbs that are cheap and on the shelves right now

slightly refining a ~150 year old technology is totally the same as fusion or flying cars, you've convinced me

jk, youve radicalized me- whale oil crew for life

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
replaced all the 4 foot florescent tubes in my basement with 2 foot led fixtures. waiting for the compact florescent bulbs to burn out.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

crabcakes66 posted:

They come in whatever color/temp you want. Pay attention to what you buy next time.
I bought the warm light ones. They don't look as good as incandescent. Maybe they've gotten better in the last 6 months.

mik posted:

My wife leaves the lights on all the time so LEDs are p good
I bought a case of them for this reason.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I put bright LED rope lighting all along the ceiling and some of the corners of my workout room so it looks like the Empire Strikes Back when I light it up.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Before he moved out my grandpa had done a partial replacement of the house lightbulbs with LEDs in his house and they were garbage terrible luminosity and bad color

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Drink Cheerwine posted:

slightly refining a ~150 year old technology is totally the same as fusion or flying cars, you've convinced me

jk, youve radicalized me- whale oil crew for life

then go buy a case of your slightly refined 10x more efficient filament bulbs down at the home depot and pop them into your existing fixtures

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

hemophilia posted:

Before he moved out my grandpa had done a partial replacement of the house lightbulbs with LEDs in his house and they were garbage terrible luminosity and bad color

How long ago was this? LEDs have come A LONG WAY the last few years. Early LED bulbs were bullshit.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Germstore posted:

How long ago was this? LEDs have come A LONG WAY the last few years. Early LED bulbs were bullshit.

I know some people who have problems with LED bulbs who are people who bought a poo poo ton of poo poo ones off of dealxtreme or banggood, have no idea about color temperature or whatnot, and expect them to be the same as the pricey Cree or Philips bulbs they see at the Lowes.

Then they will say things like "LED bulbs are bullshit because they are all different colors and half of them dont work and my house burned down"

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Germstore posted:

he did this around 2007 or so.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Hey assholes, you can choose what color temp you want the LED bulb in now a days. I have soft yellows that are the just about same as the old poo poo bulbs. Wise up jerks. Also we have a lot of chandelier/fan light systems and immediately started saving a little over $20 a month. The cost to install all of the lights was about $80. You bums.

Truth. Ceiling fixtures with four sockets is a huge savings. Figure 4 60w bulbs being replaced by 4 10w Leds. That poo poo adds up

Power consumption savings at least.

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 8, 2016

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

reallivedinosaur posted:

I know some people who have problems with LED bulbs who are people who bought a poo poo ton of poo poo ones off of dealxtreme or banggood, have no idea about color temperature or whatnot, and expect them to be the same as the pricey Cree or Philips bulbs they see at the Lowes.

Then they will say things like "LED bulbs are bullshit because they are all different colors and half of them dont work and my house burned down"

Yeah that's the biggest problem right now. Cheap led lights are loving garbage. Inconsistent color range, and scary build quality (like, the electronics section is just hot glue and crap). If you like blue white light, sure, save a couple bucks. But almost without fail the cheap crap will disappoint. Can't be dimmed, etc

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
I've actually been tempted to give the gf parents a ton of leds for their house because the dad is pretty frugal and I think he'd actually enjoy em. But I know nothing about these magical bulbs so I dunno what to look for.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

nullEntityRNG posted:

I've actually been tempted to give the gf parents a ton of leds for their house because the dad is pretty frugal and I think he'd actually enjoy em. But I know nothing about these magical bulbs so I dunno what to look for.

I sperged out when I replaced the bulbs in my house. If you know they like warmer yellow light, aim for 2700k-3300k. Any home improvement store will have displays. The boxes mention what watt they're designed to replace (replaces 60w or whatever) and what they are themselves. Cold white lights are 6500k. If anything, there's more range in the led now than when the market was only incandescent and early fluorescence.

If you wanna drop big cash get him a ton of the hue lights and he can decide what color he wants

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I sperged out when I replaced the bulbs in my house. If you know they like warmer yellow light, aim for 2700k-3300k. Any home improvement store will have displays. The boxes mention what watt they're designed to replace (replaces 60w or whatever) and what they are themselves. Cold white lights are 6500k. If anything, there's more range in the led now than when the market was only incandescent and early fluorescence.

If you wanna drop big cash get him a ton of the hue lights and he can decide what color he wants

Ah thanks. I don't think they care about changing the color all too much, but knowing what K I need to shoot for is a major help

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

nullEntityRNG posted:

Ah thanks. I don't think they care about changing the color all too much, but knowing what K I need to shoot for is a major help

The nice thing about the wattage is it doesn't even matter. If the original fixture was designed for 60w you can pretty much throw an equivalent 100w led into it (what, 25w?). That's a loving bright bulb though. Hurt your eyes bright.

I can't imagine heat being an issue in the base for anything made by a real company, like GE. especially since they built in heat sinks along the bulb

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
What about dimmer switches, I mean don't those primarily work by increasing the energy put in the bulbs, that wouldn't work for leds unless you revamp the switch itself, right?

They got a shiton of dimmer ones in their kitchen

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

angerbeet posted:

They had these really cool Edison LED bulbs at the hardware store but they were expensive and I don't have any lamps that will show them of because showing off the bulb has not been a feature in most lamps for the past forever.

I think they won't even sell those to u until u prove u have enough shiplap and exposed brick to qualify.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

nullEntityRNG posted:

What about dimmer switches, I mean don't those primarily work by increasing the energy put in the bulbs, that wouldn't work for leds unless you revamp the switch itself, right?

They got a shiton of dimmer ones in their kitchen
There's 2 types of LEDs - the type that works with dimmer switches which are roughly 4x the price of the regular ones and those that don't work with dimmers switches. With the latter ones they will come on if the dimmer is all the way up but can flicker. I've got some circuits on dimmers that are fine with non dimmer LEDs and some that flicker. The ones that are built to work with dimmers come on abruptly at a lowish light and then work like a regular ol' bulb on a dimmer, just in a white light and not an orange glow like an incandescent does at low power levels.

E: I'd get one type of whatever you're planning on going to and trying it out before going whole hog. They are a little more money and they claim to last for decades so you want to be sure you like them.

Sten Freak fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 8, 2016

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I just get the cheapest LED bulbs available at Lowe's or wherever. They seem ok.

I had to get a couple of mini candelabra ones for a ceiling light like 2 years ago and they were $15 a piece though, that was bullshit. When I sold my house I took them with me, no freebies for you moron who bought my poo poo house.

Inept fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 8, 2016

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Ork of Fiction posted:

I think they won't even sell those to u until u prove u have enough shiplap and exposed brick to qualify.

I've got so much exposed brick man you don't even know

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I bought some chinese ones that connect over wifi that can dim/change colors for like 18 bucks each and they work fine, would buy again

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Sweden sells dimmable soft white 60w replacement LEDs for like 4 bucks each.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Volcott posted:

Sweden sells dimmable soft white 60w replacement LEDs for like 4 bucks each.

When I bought this house and swapped out the lights Lowe's had them for about this and sometimes 2.99 on sale. Soft white, but not sure if they're dimmable since I dont have any dimmer switches. The light looks great. These were just regular sized bulbs though, the other variants got quite expensive.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if i cared about my landlords utility bill i would tone down my bitcoin mining operation a little first

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

paul_soccer10 posted:

if i cared about my landlords utility bill i would tone down my bitcoin mining operation a little first

Touche'

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
I have those Philips Hue things as well, I didn't like the apps they have for it (no direct RGB control) so I wrote a little javascript thing with HSV and RGB sliders on it. Our light switches/dimmers are now any computer, phone or tablet on the wifi. Obviously I dont use it to get laid like that other guy.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Twice, the local Costco had a deal for 4-packs of LED bulbs for 6 bucks. Twice, I bought the maximum (3 packs). With all of those I was able to convert every single light in my house to LED.

I have not noticed a big difference in the energy bill. TVs, computers and especially appliances still suck up most of the energy. And the AC if I decide to run it.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Did a ballast bypass conversion on my last florescent fixture. No more giant heavy mercury having glass tubes. Feels good, man.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

I did in my kitchen but now it feels like a hotel bathroom.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
I use vintage-style lights I guy for $5 a pop. They have a very warm look and feel to them and the filament is neat looking.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
I switched every possible light about a year ago when they looked cheap enough to be worth doing - I hated my CFLs so much, on average the fuckers hardly lasted longer than long-life incandescents.

Rhukatah
Feb 26, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Kroger near me had a bunch of 60 watt equivalents on clearance for $2 each two years ago. I replaced all of the incandescent bulbs in my house for $50 and I've still got extras.

Thanks for reminding me about this, OP. Voting 5.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't know Philips Hue lets you change the colors using an app. That's awesome. I could see cool stuff like making them green at Christmas or something like that. drat it, why did I learn this after replacing 30 lights in my home :negative:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I didn't know Philips Hue lets you change the colors using an app. That's awesome. I could see cool stuff like making them green at Christmas or something like that. drat it, why did I learn this after replacing 30 lights in my home :negative:

I am considering doing this. Then I can have high color temp during the day and then warm white at night.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Volcott posted:

They don't work right with my dimmer switches from the 70s and you can't put them in fluorescent fixtures but I'm switching over everything else.

They make dimmable LED ones now

Putting those bendy compact fluorescents in something on a dimmer switch is scary as poo poo though SKREEEEEEEEEEEEE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mange Mite posted:

I am considering doing this. Then I can have high color temp during the day and then warm white at night.

For real

• Locked thread