Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

the only advertisements on the side of the buses where i live are for personal injury lawyers and GOLD 4 CASH brokers

so whats it like? i could only imagine it'd be like a pawn shop taking advantage of poor desperate rubes

good/bad experiences, goons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
You need a photo id

noctambulous nebab
May 12, 2016

by zen death robot
I had a friend in high school who stole his mom's gold jewelry and hocked it for cash. He bought a lot of weed.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Weed ruins lives

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I had this old class ring I didn't want anymore so I sold it to some place and bought a shitload of beer.

noctambulous nebab
May 12, 2016

by zen death robot

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Weed ruins lives

Can't ruin that which has no life.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

Monday_ posted:

I had this old class ring I didn't want anymore so I sold it to some place and bought a shitload of beer.

This is a good idea

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

please be careful at those gold for cash places. i saw a news article about a local man who wanted totrade some gold for cash. he stopped at a gold for cash place, one with one of those dudes spinning an arrow or sign around a lot because hiring somebody for minimum wage to spin a sign is somehow less demeaning and more cost effective than, say, putting a sign out front, probably right after huffing some gas, and this local man wanted to trade his gold for cash. he got out of his car next to the sign spinning dude and BAM the sign spinner dude lost concentration and hit the local man right in his dick with the pointy end of the sign. the man called 911 but it was too late; his balls were totally busted. so please, be careful, or you too could lose your balls to a spinning sign.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
No, of course not. Because the value of gold can only go up and up and up at this point.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
i saw one of my friends sell some jewelry to a pawn shop for money to buy heroin

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I pay the iron price for my cash.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I push a shopping trolley full of copper parts that ive scavenged through the night down the highway at sunup

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
no im not a poor/old

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I just paint lead ingots yellow and swallow them

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I sell mine directly to Glenn Beck.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

criscodisco posted:

I sell mine directly to Glenn Beck.

This is gold!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Seriously if you want to sell scrap gold go to a refiner. I use Midwest refinery. They give you like 95% melt value instead of 40% your local guy will (who just resells it to a refinery). And lol if you think any precious stone you have is worth more than like a few bucks. Pry the stone out and sell the metal and enjoy your gem collection.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

King of Bees posted:

Seriously if you want to sell scrap gold go to a refiner. I use Midwest refinery. They give you like 95% melt value instead of 40% your local guy will (who just resells it to a refinery). And lol if you think any precious stone you have is worth more than like a few bucks. Pry the stone out and sell the metal and enjoy your gem collection.

That's the only thing I really know about these places, that they seriously short you on the actual value of the gold. I've never sold jewelery or anything, but I'm sure an actual refinery would have to be better than a place that has to pay for advertising and storefronts and that whole thing where they send you a kit to send your jewelry in with.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
someone post the souh park vid dont pretend you dont know what im talking about its going to happen

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I robbed an old lady once and she had no cash on her, so I took her earrings, necklace, wedding ring she had had for 45years, and some lovely broch. I got $45 CASH for it all....THANKS CASH 4 GOLD!

Opie_Yates
Nov 30, 2010
No, because I'm not a poor dipshit.

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994
cash for wow gold

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
You're not?

edit: gently caress you 4outof5

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I'm Gleb Beck. Invest in bitcoin for the future apocalypse!

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I'm just skipping straight to hording bullets, water, and canned food.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

no but i gave matthew lesko all my money under the assumption he wasn not a jew

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

one time i wanted to buy a shitload of weed so i took all of my mom's gold jewelry and went to the cash4gold place and my balls were smashed by the sign spinner

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
Much like a Chilean miner, the rapid inflation of the price of gold in the US is a real catastrophe.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Happy Bear Suit posted:

the only advertisements on the side of the buses where i live are for personal injury lawyers and GOLD 4 CASH brokers

so whats it like? i could only imagine it'd be like a pawn shop taking advantage of poor desperate rubes

good/bad experiences, goons?

I was under the impression that those places were for thieves to fence stolen jewelry.

If you want to really sell off old/broken jewelry call an actual pawn shop and ask what they pay for scrap gold.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I don't own any precious metals that aren't attached to a PCB.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

yellow painted rocks

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

I suspect that this would have changed the endi ng of the movie somewhat

Bokito
Jul 25, 2007
Going Ape
PostalGold sent me 450 euros, that was really fantastic!

.random
May 7, 2007

satanic splash-back posted:

one of those dudes spinning an arrow or sign around a lot because hiring somebody for minimum wage to spin a sign is somehow less demeaning and more cost effective than, say, putting a sign out front

Sorry to derail here, but this is an all-too-common misconception about the Sign Spinning (Spigning (pronounced spining) to those in the industry). Spigning is both an art form and an effective advertisement tool. It has a 60% higher conversion rate than signage alone and is only 40% more likely to result in ball-busting. But more importantly, the real differentiator is really quite simple:

Ridiculous local government regulation prohibits the positioning of signs along roadways in many jurisdictions and it is, frankly, a travesty. Government should not be allowed to tell me what I can and can't do with my signs.

However, much in the way that blues and jazz music arose from racial oppression in this country, from signage oppression, a new art was born. Truly, sometimes the most ugly things lead to the most beautiful.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

After I got divorced, I took my wedding band to a local jeweler and got $250 out of it. Not like I was going to be using it for anything.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i'm going to open a series of 'mold for cash' stores

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I have spent years investing a small fortune in commemorative gold coins sold on late night tv at jaw dropping prices.

It may seem foolish to some, but when the dollar crashes and only "Never Forget" 9/11 collector coins can buy bread, then you'll all see!

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

Monkey Lincoln posted:

Selling
Before you sell gold, you should know what it's worth. Here I can try to explain how you figure that out. All stores that buy gold buy it by weight. Factor their refiners percentage, the market price, the purity of the gold, and their profit margin and you'll find what they pay any chump on the street. It breaks down like this.
Take the spot price on gold, it's about $1150 an ounce right now, but you can get a current accurate quote at kitco.com, multiply that by...
The purity of the gold. Separate the pieces you have by karat, then multiply the percentage of pure gold (14K is .56, 10k is .39, 18K is .72), scrap gold is always tallied a half karat under it's scientific purity because of dirt or low karat solder in the piece, or casters use 13.5 karat gold to save money.
Times their refiners fee. Use 95% (.95), since no serious store sells their gold for less than 95% of the market price. They might tell you they have their own refiner, or there are assaying charges, or currency trade fees, or gold conversion factors, but that's all bullshit. If they say they sell it for 80% so they'll but it at 50, they're lying.
Then multiply by the weight in either grams or pennyweights, however they prefer to weigh it...
Then divide by how many (Either grams or pennyweights) are in an ounce, 31.1 or 20, respectively.
So, working in grams, here's an example.

(Spot price on gold) X (Purity of gold) X (Refiners percentage) X (Gram Weight) / (31.1 grams to an ounce)

So say you have a 20 gram 14K chain. The formula would be"

$1150 X .56 X .95 X 20 / 31.1 = $393

That's every penny the jewelry store or pawn shop would get for it. They want to but it from you for $200, as it sounds like a nice round number, and make a decent profit. However, if you knew this going in, you could say "Hi, this is my chain, 14K, 20 grams. It scraps for about 390, is there any way you can do 350 for it?" They'll probably try to talk you down a bit, but if you can hold tight and collect more than 300, you'd be getting over 75%. More than any other chump on the street is going to get walking in without a clue about what they have.

No matter what you have, be it gold or platinum or stones or copper, the golden rule of selling is to shop around. If selling a ring you paid $400, get a price from every store within 10 miles and you'll probably hear prices ranging from $35 to 200.

http://www.kitco.com/market - The current metal market prices in US denomination by ounce.

I sold a ring in the ocean and it worked out p much as above. i didnt have a proper scale so i had to balance it against pennies but they opened by asking for about 60% of its value

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

satanic splash-back posted:

please be careful at those gold for cash places. i saw a news article about a local man who wanted totrade some gold for cash. he stopped at a gold for cash place, one with one of those dudes spinning an arrow or sign around a lot because hiring somebody for minimum wage to spin a sign is somehow less demeaning and more cost effective than, say, putting a sign out front, probably right after huffing some gas, and this local man wanted to trade his gold for cash. he got out of his car next to the sign spinning dude and BAM the sign spinner dude lost concentration and hit the local man right in his dick with the pointy end of the sign. the man called 911 but it was too late; his balls were totally busted. so please, be careful, or you too could lose your balls to a spinning sign.

drat... you've given me a lot to think about...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
they told me they wont accept runescape gold

• Locked thread