Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Fascism is a part of a healthy persobal ideology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I like surrounding Spain with my territory because it makes Isabella pout on the diplomacy screen.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

is it "better" than Alpha Centauri in the same way that Taikyoku shogi is "better" than chess or is it actually that much better

because SMAC is a timeless classic whose themes and predictions about the future only become more relevant as time goes on, and may be the one video game which could be considered "art"

is it just me or can anyone else just loving smell the hotpocket sweats coming off of this post

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

ScrotoTurboSperg posted:

is it just me or can anyone else just loving smell the hotpocket sweats coming off of this post

he's right though, Stellaris isn't better than alpha centauri

I don't know what that other thing he's talking about is...chess or whatever the gently caress

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Rutibex posted:

Stellaris is to Alpha Centauri what Alpha Centauri is to Civilization. their ethos chart thing has like 8 different ideological axis

stellaris is poo poo from an rear end and will remain so for the next 200 DLCs or so

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

is it "better" than Alpha Centauri in the same way that Taikyoku shogi is "better" than chess or is it actually that much better

because SMAC is a timeless classic whose themes and predictions about the future only become more relevant as time goes on, and may be the one video game which could be considered "art"

is it hard to type while sucking sid meyers cock

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Nerve staple everybody in this thread

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

ScrotoTurboSperg posted:

excuse you, those are digiorno's sweats

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

he's right though, Stellaris isn't better than alpha centauri

I don't know what that other thing he's talking about is...chess or whatever the gently caress

it's chess for medieval japanese turbospergs

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

The Cubelodyte posted:

Nerve staple everybody in this thread

paging forums poster shen-ji yang

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
OP is 100% right.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

medieval japanese turbospergs

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
FOR ME TO POOP ON! :xd:

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

PS: Please think about your posting gimmick. You're just kind of all over the place and it's not really credible. You can't be broken in that many different, nearly unrelated ways. Please narrow it down to two or three like the rest of us.

What do you think my gimmick is? Aide from really obvious things that everyone would agree with if they weren't brokebrain nerds such as "Men, not women, have penises" and "Western civilization is good, goat-beard terrorists are bad".

I mean, I think of Africa and Europe together as the source of Western civilization, based musical scales, naval history, the presence of African troops at Troy, etc. And that is fairly idiosyncratic. But it isn't really a gimmick.

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

PS: Please think about your posting gimmick. You're just kind of all over the place and it's not really credible. You can't be broken in that many different, nearly unrelated ways. Please narrow it down to two or three like the rest of us.

what are the 2-3 pillars of gimmickposting

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

i wouldn't call it "better" than Alpha Centauri, i would say they are equivalent in quality. Stellaris just takes place on a higher "scale" so it tackles different kinds of high minded questions (and some of the same ones Alpha Centauri does).

Stellaris doesn't have as many cool quotable quotes though :(

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Civ 4 is the best cause of Leonard nimoy

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

he was comparing chess to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c0Y26iTPSM

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Civ 4 is the best cause of Leonard nimoy

and Baba Yetu

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Rutibex posted:

Stellaris doesn't have as many cool quotable quotes though :(

90% of said quotes are like, directly from Frank Herbert. In the manual they cite him as an "inspiration", but yeah, whatever. Alpha Centauri is tops.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
It is every citizen's duty to return to the tanks.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

why was beyond earth so loving bad

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.
hm... three points on a spectrum... almost like... a triangle?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Civ II taught me that a lonely spearman can fight a tank and win.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

subhuman filth posted:

Everyone thought it would be Alpha Centauri 2 even after Fireaxis themselves said it wasn't going to be. So there was a huge amount of hype built up for what amounted to a sci-fi reskin of Civ5.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

subhuman filth posted:

Mostly because the tech tree made no sense and you couldn't stack gigantic armies on each hex, launch sneak attacks and oh, yeah, the diplomacy was pretty broken. Also no nerve stapling = everybody always unhappy.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
It will never become unfunny that the future of humanity is depending on:

1-) A treehugger catlady who will breed and send alien mindfuck worms to murder you because you built a mag rail 257 tiles away from her hippie paradise (by paradise I mean dystopian cybernetic society where colonies are self aware enough that the streets eat dissenters).
2-) A literal Nigerian scammer who will declare war on your rear end because you were like "so we hosed earth because of our greed, maybe we should try this green economy thing yo"
3-) A biblethumper that is unfazed by scientific advances like no friction atoms or handheld guns that tore up the reality you standing on.
4-) Something Awful China Thread.
5-) :freep:
6-) Peace loving breeders that will have no restraints on planet busting your rear end if you fail to win their rigged planetary ruler election.
7-) A Russian scientist so devoid of ethics and boundries that Joseph Mengele would've called him "a bit extreme for his taste"

The expansion factions sucked major balls though. Alien factions were a bit wonky but I liked having one of them to ramp up the difficulty. The hunky space sea pirates were so bad as AI and their "raid and pillage" gimmick was impossible to simulate at tyool whateverfuck. Uh the Matrix pr0haxxor lady was underpowered and the chick who looked like the hot blonde from BSG was overpowered as gently caress. Domai was very :smith: story wise and playing it was just for the masochists.

What I'm saying is gently caress Civ V imma fire up another all random AC + expansion on Transcended. :smuggo:

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 8, 2016

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Fascism is a meaningless term overused by collective idiots.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i thought you meant in a rap way, like how a good rapper would say he "comes correct."

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

But how many little kids did Ghandi put his ICBM into?

What I'm trying to say is:
GHANDI WAS A DISGUSTING PEDARAST IRL AND SHOULD BE DISREGARDED

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i thought you meant in a rap way, like how a good rapper would say he "comes correct."

I did mean it that way.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
Thanks for the enlightening thread Commie NedFlanders

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Orkin Mang posted:

is there not a third way

youre thinking of liberalism I think

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The only CIV I know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYypn8HDMbc

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
i'm really liking stellaris but never got on board with AC, what does AC have stellaris don't?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

in AC you can assassinate historical italian people

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

subhuman filth posted:

They forgot the world-building part. In Alpha Centauri they created a short story prequel and a bunch of flavor text to explain what sort of crazy futuristic stuff was happening, why you were there, what the societies were like etc. Aside from some abstract city icons, there wasn't any in-game artwork of the things you were building. So the game had to rely on a lot of text and let the player's imagination do the rest, even pausing the game to give vivid descriptions of what the mind worms did to people, why the leaders got to rule for 200 years, etc. Aside from reading all that crap, the future terminology was kept fairly self-explanatory. Even without a description most of us can guess what a holo-theater is. Or recycling tanks. Or a technology called "frictionless surfaces". The list of Beyond Earth technologies is less obvious

Civilization didn't need any lore, because everyone knows what "stables" are, and the prospect of Ghandi building the Eiffel Tower is amusing on it's own. In Beyond Earth, could you tell me what a "Cytonursery" is? I can only tell you that it gives +2 food. With vague names and a lack of artwork, it was hard to form a mental image of what things were supposed to represent. Which is important if you want to feel like you're guiding a nation of people and not a collection of numbers. Alpha Centauri featured cutscenes with every wonder construction, even though they were a lot of bad CG. Beyond Earth gives you a quote and a blueprint of something that you can''t even tell what the gently caress you're looking at.

As nutty as the Alpha Centauri leaders were, at least they had clear personalities for us to mock. Firaxis kind of admitted that making the BE leaders blank slates hurt the diplomacy system

je1 healthcare fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 9, 2016

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
To people who bought Civilization: Beyond Earth expecting it to be Alpha Centauri 2:

What do I care for your suffering?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

je1 healthcare posted:

As nutty as the Alpha Centauri leaders were, at least they had clear personalities for us to mock.

Yeah, it was easy to hate fuckin' Yang and that goddamn fanatic Miriam, for instance. (And easy to get into character when you played as them.)

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Galewolf posted:

It will never become unfunny that the future of humanity is depending on:

1-) A treehugger catlady who will breed and send alien mindfuck worms to murder you because you built a mag rail 257 tiles away from her hippie paradise (by paradise I mean dystopian cybernetic society where colonies are self aware enough that the streets eat dissenters).
2-) A literal Nigerian scammer who will declare war on your rear end because you were like "so we hosed earth because of our greed, maybe we should try this green economy thing yo"
3-) A biblethumper that is unfazed by scientific advances like no friction atoms or handheld guns that tore up the reality you standing on.
4-) Something Awful China Thread.
5-) :freep:
6-) Peace loving breeders that will have no restraints on planet busting your rear end if you fail to win their rigged planetary ruler election.
7-) A Russian scientist so devoid of ethics and boundries that Joseph Mengele would've called him "a bit extreme for his taste"

The expansion factions sucked major balls though. Alien factions were a bit wonky but I liked having one of them to ramp up the difficulty. The hunky space sea pirates were so bad as AI and their "raid and pillage" gimmick was impossible to simulate at tyool whateverfuck. Uh the Matrix pr0haxxor lady was underpowered and the chick who looked like the hot blonde from BSG was overpowered as gently caress. Domai was very :smith: story wise and playing it was just for the masochists.

What I'm saying is gently caress Civ V imma fire up another all random AC + expansion on Transcended. :smuggo:

I dunno, the drones are my favorite go-to nowadays. I find industry the most important stat since discovering techs is one thing, implementing them is another. As AI they're annoying since they'll rarely discover anything on their own but they will poo poo out secret projects for anything they do.

I once left them alone on their own continent until they got cruise missiles :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I wish they would make a word filter for 'Ghandi'

• Locked thread