Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ein cooler Typ posted:

if gold is worthless, why was Quark trying to trade for gold with the US govt when he went to Roswell

Why should anyone care about gold or other "rare metals" when there are likely tons of asteroids floating everywhere that are lumps of solid metal ranging from a few cubic meters all the way up to millions of cubic meters? Hell, why bother with planetary mining when the average asteroid belt already has a virtual buffet or everything you could possibly want.

Iron, Gold, Nickel, etc... There have been instances where some asteroids passing close to earth are estimated to have upwards of 90 million tons of platinum in their cores.

Mining in the ST universe would essentially be...

<cargo ship warps next to an asteroid belt>
<scans the composition of the nearby asteroids>
<starts beaming solid iron, nickel, and platinum into cargo holds with it's industrial transporters>
<impurities are automatically removed by the transporter and the metals are reshaped into ingot form>
<fills 200,000 ton cargo cold in 5 minutes>

Then again, since transporters exist, ship construction should be quite similar with all parts being created on-site with a transporter, and the entire hull being one solid, seamless piece of metal instead of the sheets we see during construction/repair scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Applewhite posted:

At the very least I find it highly dubious that Klingons would develop space travel.
The Krogan from Mass Effect are a much more satisfying and realistic take on the Klingons, IMO.

Having Klingons be a warrior race uplifted from their nuclear hellscape planet by Vulcans to be their soldiers only to rebel against their pointy-eared masters makes sense.

But only if First Contact had a scene where the two vulcans set down on earth, look at the cowering post-apocalyptic humans and said to each other "If at first you don't succeed..." or something.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think they do have money in the future and Kirk was lying when he told the whale biologist they don't have money because he didn't want to pay for pizza

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Blistex posted:

Then again, since transporters exist, ship construction should be quite similar with all parts being created on-site with a transporter, and the entire hull being one solid, seamless piece of metal instead of the sheets we see during construction/repair scenes.

They could do it very efficiently like this, only the unions won't let them

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The entire Star Trek universe was Gene Roddenberry's Mary Sue where every Federation character is a rational actor 100% of the time (unless they're under the influence of outside contamination).

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Do you think Broccoli ever got a girlfriend (holograms don't count)

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Ein cooler Typ posted:

if gold is worthless, why was Quark trying to trade for gold with the US govt when he went to Roswell

He probably assumed he wouldn't be getting back, so he might as well get rich in the local currency.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I think they do have money in the future and Kirk was lying when he told the whale biologist they don't have money because he didn't want to pay for pizza

:agreed:

Normally he'd have said "I forgot my wallet at home." He needed them whales though

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Do you think Broccoli ever got a girlfriend (holograms don't count)

he should have dated that girl that dated data

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Raku posted:

They could do it very efficiently like this, only the unions won't let them

What unions? They literally just use holograms to dig out the ore like chain-ganged slaves because lol holograms aren't real people.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Could Q create a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Arkanomen posted:

What unions? They literally just use holograms to dig out the ore like chain-ganged slaves because lol holograms aren't real people.

The hologram programmers' union

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it's ok, we can just fire them all and use holograms to program holograms

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Temperature or Scoville scale?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Of course he could, what is stopping him?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Applewhite posted:

So do those have steam engines?

no they do not. just like the nuclear batteries in our present day satellites and space probes do not have steam engines

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cthulu Carl posted:

Having Klingons be a warrior race uplifted from their nuclear hellscape planet by Vulcans to be their soldiers only to rebel against their pointy-eared masters makes sense.

But only if First Contact had a scene where the two vulcans set down on earth, look at the cowering post-apocalyptic humans and said to each other "If at first you don't succeed..." or something.

in one of the early TOS novels the said that the Klingons where uplifted by the Federation and given warp drives. but then to the horror of the federation they started conquering their neighbors like a "more primitive civilization", and this was when they invented the concept of the prime directive

obviously that idea was abandoned later, but i think its way better than what they went with

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

8-Bit Scholar posted:

A Keikold! Ha ha, nailed it.

:golfclap:

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Yes, and then I'd eat it anyway. :colbert:

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

Zorodius posted:

imagine a Klingons versus Space Marines crossover! How AWESOME would that be you guys! does anyone know someone who could make it happen??

Talk to these guys
Startrekaxanar.com

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Why do human ships try to pretend their main gun is really a "censor"?

Non-human ships see things just fine without a big bulls-eye in the middle. And they 'convert' it shoot a big space laser like every four episodes.

That's a gun, guys. Why are you lying?

The gun part is really a secondary utility, it's really there to stop tiny space pebbles from destroying the ship when it goes zoom.

This is why it has to be "configured" to shoot what ever baloney thing the plot requires in a given episode.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Latinum is a liquid. They just put it in gold because why the gently caress not use gold instead of some other metal.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Applewhite posted:

Space Marines would kick the Klingons' asses and it wouldn't even be close.

No way! Klingons have a strong and courageous warrior culture. They fight with awesome swords and have lots of spaceships!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Zorodius posted:

No way! Klingons have a strong and courageous warrior culture. They fight with awesome swords and have lots of spaceships!

Warhammer dudes would just nuke the planet and go home, but if you read this 40,000 word essay I wrote about fake space physics and references to the Star Trek manual....

• Locked thread