Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Liquid Communism posted:

Thinking a Hunter roll here would be a good idea to try and identify what could have caused the damage to the house, and the liklihood it's still around. That seem appropriate?

Hunter with or without appropriate wises would be swell for that, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
You're not my real dad, Thom! :argh:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Haven't done this in a while.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Those are great! Especially given how sparse some of the descriptions we gave you were ;)

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 23, 2016

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

oh good lord that owns

OK kid is starting school so it has been nightmarishly busy, will update soon

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!
It is always a pleasure to see what you do, Gnoll. Lovin' those Farrer-esque axe triple-swirlies!

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
That owns.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Excellent work!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I really love everything about that. The hauberk and ear-guard are amazing, gnoll!

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
It's actually inspired me, I'm going to try and find some mouse figures to form our double-patrol with using that as a guide.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

We are coming to a CONFLICT; as many of you who care to participate are welcome to do so but I am gonna need a leader and then some posts from the lead three. Thom will have to be in this conflict. The four mice in the barn will have the goal of ESCAPE FROM THE GUARD, y'all are free to set your own. Any not in the conflict will have something to do during, mind.

Winson_Paine fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 26, 2016

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

My immediate impulse is to try and sneak around the scavengers' backs while our bruisers keep them distracted. Would you rather resolve that as part of the conflict or as one of the external actions?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

grassy gnoll posted:

My immediate impulse is to try and sneak around the scavengers' backs while our bruisers keep them distracted. Would you rather resolve that as part of the conflict or as one of the external actions?

Assuming you are doing that to get at them or somesuch, that would be a Maneuver action in a conflict

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Not sure how we want to run this. Do y'all want Connal to make it in time for said conflict? I'm okay with him being late to the party or delayed to keep the focus on the barn party.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

I need a hard confirm of who is in the conflict!

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
I'm in the conflict, but I don't understand exactly what's going on. Can you run through an example of this? Is it one person who rolls and the rest just add dice?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

A better explaination of Conflicts and how they work starts on page 96 of the core book; it is a good read and will go into more detail than I can here. Basically extended conflicts (big arguments, chases, fights, wars) go to a system of rounds. In each conflict each side will have a goal, and each side will have a disposition. The disposition is your... hit points, essentially, for the fight. Each round each side has three actions, chosen from Attack/Defend/Feint/Maneuver; which use different skills and different tools/weapons depending on the nature of the conflict. So each side does three actions (one per mouse for y'all) and the other side does three actions (which I pick in advance). You look at the first action for each, compare them, and resolve. In this case it was Maneuver vs. Maneuver, which is an indepentent test. The second action might be Attack vs. Attack or Attack vs. Defend or whatever you do; the results of which play out according to how the dice go and how the actions interact. As many mice as you like can participate in a given conflict, but only three can do a thing in any given round. Sidelined mice have to do something mext turn (i.e. everyone gets to go) but if they have a way to contribute dice to an active roll then they are free to do so for one of the three who gets to go.

In general, the actions correspond to what you might expect. Attack actively seeks to end the conflict by hurting the other sides disposition; in a fight it is stabbing, in a chase it is active pursuit, in a debate it might be clever argumentaton. Defend seeks to shore up your side in the conflict; blocking with shields, catching your breath, or sophistry to continue our examples above. Feints seek to trick the other side into giving up advantage in some way; an actual feint or trying to out juke them in a chase or idk, setting the podium on fire in a debate. Maneuver attempts to actively gain advantage for your side; you might try to cut them off in a fight or chase or what have you.

At the end of a given round, we check disposition. If one of them is zero, someone has lost. If not, and no one wishes to surrender, we go to round two and so on until one of those things happen. At the end the side that wins gets their goal, but the other side gets to take out some kind of compromise depending on how much disposition they managed to knock off. If you guys are at 1 disposition at the end, maybe half of them get away or one of you is hurt in the process. If you have three, you catch em clean. The book has more detailed examples of what this mght mean and the exact breakdown.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
But because of how this is arranged, I can't say use my Fight skill to try and knock one of them on the head as they run past?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Since it's a chase, I'm staying out of the conflict. I'll guard / look around the house instead.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

professor_curly posted:

But because of how this is arranged, I can't say use my Fight skill to try and knock one of them on the head as they run past?

Neg, because it ain't that kind of party. Conflict starter called it as a chase, so it is a scramble. I'd let you use fight to aid, however.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Last question, is it a first-come-first-serve thing for actions?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

professor_curly posted:

Last question, is it a first-come-first-serve thing for actions?

At this point, I think so. I was initially thinking there might be some discussion of tactics or choices or who would go, but this seems to have gone more in favor of a de facto sort of posting style.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!
Maeve has no real chase-suitable skills or anything, so I think I'll be leaving that to the experts. Unless leaving it to the experts messes things up, in which case I will come up with something.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Winson_Paine posted:

I need a hard confirm of who is in the conflict!

Connal is not in the conflict. He's not going to get there in time to keep up with them.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Well, I'm definitely in. I can give you two other actions, if it comes to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Ella is in it

• Locked thread