Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
its not that obtrusive. Still waiting for that optional no-story version though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

What Sim Settlements now has a plot? I thought it was just supposed to automate the settlement building system so it wasn't such an exhausting game of doll house to find the one right wall texture or footlocker.

Sim Settlements 2 is arguably the biggest story expansion for Fallout 4 so far. It adds a whole new parallel main quest focused around the idea of actually integrating the settlement system into the overall narrative, rebuilding the commonwealth, doing nation building, and dealing with the repercussions of trying to do so. It also gives the Gunners an actual narrative presence, rather than just being fancier raiders.

I've only played parts of Chapter 1, but I liked what I saw.

Here's the story trailers for all three chapters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2QoTwOYF8U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP8ikYltVeQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mQpEM6G1qo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNnDrb6KUmI

It's inarguably a massive case of scope creep, I won't for a second deny that

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 25, 2024

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I enjoyed it as well

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Personally, I don't like what they did with the gunners but the story is otherwise fun to play while doing the main quest on the side.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Maybe there's terrible poo poo I didn't encounter but Tamriel Rebuilt for Morrowind really surprised me with how good its writing was and well it fit the base game.

Thats like the only massive story mod I can say that about.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
TR has been going on for so long that the morrowind style quest has been perfected by the people working on it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Arc Hammer posted:

What Sim Settlements now has a plot? I thought it was just supposed to automate the settlement building system so it wasn't such an exhausting game of doll house to find the one right wall texture or footlocker.

Sim Settlements' plot and voice acting is at least as good as the vanilla content, they spent donor money hiring a huge cast of professional voice actors and the story beats the crap out of the FO4 main quest

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
I would like SS2 a lot more without the settlements. The quest content is really well done.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Flowing Thot posted:

I would like SS2 a lot more without the settlements. The quest content is really well done.

Agreed. Settlements are by far the worst part of FO4 and SS2 doesn't change that.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Are basically all manually-installed mods broken by this update? I mostly used stuff through the creation club which still seems to be working. However, I tried to download and use mods that separates the paint from stat bonuses that I previously installed (PACP and PAMAP):

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4619/
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/5188

However I can't get them to load no matter what. Also the mod I used to enable achievements with mods (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15639/) also doesn't seem to be working. I'm not sure if it's just because of the update or if there were some hoops I needed to jump through to get manually-installed mods working (or both). I haven't played in like 6 or 7 years so I'm incredibly rusty as far as modding goes. I am so lost and confused

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
The update broke anything that uses F4SE. It will likely stay broken for at least a few days. Maybe longer.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Flowing Thot posted:

The update broke anything that uses F4SE. It will likely stay broken for at least a few days. Maybe longer.

Those mods don't use it though. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Is there something I need to do for manually installed mods to work besides downloading the mod and putting it in the fallout 4 folder?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

You really, really ought to be using a mod manager, ideally Mod Organizer 2.

I'd suggest checking out The Midnight Ride modding guide, it should help you figure out how it all works and how to set things up. As mentioned, no script extender mods will work with the newest version, though someone will likely make a downgrader fairly soon that'll let you play on the old version.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Love how some of SS2's voice acting is panicked screaming and implied gesticulation, but then the characters are just...standing there barely emoting with their face and when the dialogue ends, they just calmly walk away

It's a fantastic mod for the camp alone :allears:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Relyssa posted:

Agreed. Settlements are by far the worst part of FO4 and SS2 doesn't change that.

I dunno, SS2 does a fine job and Horizon makes it really drat useful to your adventuring and integrated into a feeling of overall regional progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
The new update breaking things prompted me to boot up my old computer where I have Magnum Opus installed, and to make sure it was set not to update. Thankfully, it was, so I played a couple of hours of it. It's been probably a year or two since I last touched it. I was trying to do a BOS playthrough, with the goal of doing Far Harbor and Nuka World, though I don't know what point I was at in doing the main quest.

Someone mentioned issues with Magnum Opus and the ammo/damage balance, and I'm noticing it too. I don't think it's an issue with the mod working properly, because I can still do heavy damage against certain enemies, but others really tank a lot of bullets, and as a result, I find that I'm always low on ammo, to the point where I just fall back on melee attacks. I could probably turn down the difficulty to fix that, but I got the impression that the mod's tailored so you're not supposed to be flush with ammunition.

As part of one of the mods (Tales of the Wasteland, I think), I had a radio signal of someone saying they were stuck in a cave, but I didn't know where the cave was, so I looked it up online. Found the area (on the west of edge of the map, a ways south of Sanctuary), and when I got there, it was a gang of raiders luring people there to join their gang. I told them the leader no, and he just went, 'well, I'm sure you'll come around once you check out our base', and then I just left. It was just funny to me because the impression is they'll turn hostile if you don't go along with them.