Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

SynthOrange posted:

When's the inspection due?

I dunno. My manager called the Landlord's office. They didn't tell me anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh well, forward on all the photos. And his earlier comment about black marks just made me realize he'll never be able to rent a place again.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Drop a Molotov inside the new room to prove to the fire marshal that it's unsafe.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

SynthOrange posted:

Looks perfect to me if he's inside the room when he completes it.

"Hey there's no amontillado in here!"

Op can I come by and say "yes for the love of God"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Forceholy posted:

So since a lot of people wanted a schematic of the place, I whipped something up in 5 minutes on MS Paint. Sorry about the lack of drafting experience. The living room is not supposed to be that wide.

Fantastic job blocking the escape/emergency services access route.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

My Lovely Horse posted:

Fantastic job blocking the escape/emergency services access route.

Is it really blocked though if a stretcher could just be pushed right through it with the slightest effort?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

SynthOrange posted:

his earlier comment about black marks just made me realize he'll never be able to rent a place again.

What do you mean?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Actually I'm just judging by Australian context where there's renters records that rental agencies look up. Not sure if theres such a thing in the US

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

SynthOrange posted:

Actually I'm just judging by Australian context where there's renters records that rental agencies look up. Not sure if theres such a thing in the US

We go by references and credit. It's much more expensive for someone to rent an apartment if they have no renting experience, usually. I actually don't know how that works in areas like college campus neighborhoods, which the OP's situation reminds me of, because everyone in them would nee semi-affordable housing.

Aside from that, though, you can find cool things like a really young couple (like two 19 year olds) paying almost twice as much as the person on the other side of their duplex, even though they're identical, because the other person has good references.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Can't edit: and credit predicts how likely you are to pay rent. IDK if things like "Not getting your deposit back because you're a slob" messes with your credit because I'm a fan of getting my deposit back

Most people can rent, even without references, or a bad history, and crap credit, it just costs a lot. Most people renting out don't give a poo poo if the place is somewhat destroyed, they have insurance. They'll risk it for the extra $500-$1000 a month, cost of crap apartments varies by region.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
College campuses and apartments around them usually want a co-signer on the lease for first time renters

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Holy Jesus poo poo.
I have a crazy friend who did the exact same thing, but my crazy friend isnt a douchelord, and is actually aware of how the world works, so it all worked out:
- Friend rents out his rented apartment on Airbnb, keeps it on the low so landlord doesn't find out. Does this for years and everything's alright
- Friend builds a wall in living room to make more rooms to rent. Friend does this in such a seamless way that the landlord has been in the apartment many times but never noticed.
- Friend gets caught by landlord for airbnb rentals. Friend schedules meeting with landlord, friend walks away from meeting with A NEW SIX MONTH LEASE because friend is nice about the whole thing and offered to pay more rent.

We also live in Los Angeles. So it's fun to see OP's roommate try this poo poo, which actually is possible, but gently caress it up so colossally due to being a partially formed adult.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm still appreciating the logic of "Hey, I'm going to do this thing that will consequently gently caress you over AND I'm doing to be a huge dick about it, but please, please PLEEAAASE don't tell the landlord on me!"

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Buy a bunch of weed plants and put them in the room

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Buschmaki posted:

Buy a bunch of weed plants and put them in the room

My roommate in college did this with our rented floor of this college house. He built a secret room in his bedroom that housed sodium lamps and he grew weed. It always worried me because I was a good student and didn't do drugs. But he failed to realize the implications of a small window he left as part of his walled off weed growing room (he would leave it open for ventilation and we were on a ground floor) and one day a raccoon or something got in there and ate all of his plants.

So after a few days of despair on his part, I came home one day and there was literally giant rodent sized mousetraps all around our house and he had bought new plants.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Man, that raccoon must have had a crazy couple of days.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHQ7bt5LBj8

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Whoever said write gently caress the management on the wall towards the front door had the right course of action

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
:allears: I don't think I'm going to forget about this thread for a long time.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm eagerly awaiting the next developments. I just hope the non idiots get out of this unscathed.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I live in LA and would like to purchase a guided tour and a t-shirt to commemorate my experience thanks OP.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Teeter posted:

I live in LA and would like to purchase a guided tour and a t-shirt to commemorate my experience thanks OP.

You know, you really could give tours and call them "potential renters".

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Drunk Nerds posted:

- Friend builds a wall in living room to make more rooms to rent. Friend does this in such a seamless way that the landlord has been in the apartment many times but never noticed.

I'm trying to wrap my mind around this. How did he pull this off?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He painted a tunnel on the wall.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Iucounu posted:

I'm trying to wrap my mind around this. How did he pull this off?

I know, right? The living room is extra long, like oddly so. So he walled off the back 1/4 with a door. Matched the paint and door perfectly. It not only looks way less weird than before he built it, it's the only spot of the apartment on the left of the entry door, so your eye is drawn entirely away from it when you enter.

Dude is pretty clever.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

SynthOrange posted:

He painted a tunnel on the wall.

Apparently it works.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Godholio posted:

Apparently it works.

Lol that's a dick move

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
Meep Meep

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Bookmarked, voted 5.

Really looking forward to seeing what happens to OP's roommate.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Godholio posted:

Apparently it works.

Piece of poo poo Acme SUV.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
If I saw the road to toon town I'd be pretty tempted too

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Op you're great but how have you fought the urge to Kool Aide man right through that hypothetical concept of a wall?

I hope the apartment manager does it for him, bonus points if she's dressed in red. "OOH YEAAHHHH, YOU'RE EVICTED"

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Its just...really hard for me to wrap my head around this. I mean I was young and a dumb college student once, and never would I have ever considered it OK to take on a moderate construction project in a place I didn't own. In what universe is it alright to just build a room in an apartment with no other necessities built in.

I mean...if he was high and thought it'd be easy to pull a fast one on the landlord, ok I guess I get it. Idiot, but ok.

But this is him thinking he's doing it RIGHT and everyone else can go to hell. That is a whole other level of..crazy.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Its just...really hard for me to wrap my head around this.

That's odd considering the breadth of your head.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Jastiger posted:

But this is him thinking he's doing it RIGHT and everyone else can go to hell. That is a whole other level of..crazy.

Odds are he knew he was in the wrong and was trying to bullshit his roomates with promises of Lawyers.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kurieg posted:

Odds are he knew he was in the wrong and was trying to bullshit his roomates with promises of Lawyers.

See, I don't think so. This is a pretty large amount of work to do to know you're wrong and then back it up with "lawyer talk". It seems he genuinely thought he was right and cool until called out on it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

EXAKT Science posted:

Really looking forward to seeing what happens to OP's roommate.

I don't know what happens to him now but in 2040 he's going to be running for President.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

What, by building more rooms?

OP's roommate was inspired by tales of the Kowloon Walled City. You shouldn't have snitched him out, OP. You could have been a bigshot in the future Apartment Walled City.

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

Teeter posted:

Yeah I'm in Van Nuys and would like a tour please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wedemeyer posted:

OP's roommate was inspired by tales of the Kowloon Walled City. You shouldn't have snitched him out, OP. You could have been a bigshot in the future Apartment Walled City.

OP should have just rented the new room, built another wall, then sub-sublet the newer, smaller, rooms

• Locked thread