Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
We're back again to celebrate the best annual event in combat sports. Last year after some closely contested semifinals the Bianchi of Santo Spirito blew out the Verdi of San Giovanni in a one sided final. Last years tournament provided controversy, clotheslines, slapping of faces and wild hand gesturing. The draw this year will pit the two finalists of last year against each other in the opener on Saturday. The Azurri and Rossi will play the day after on Sunday. Will the Whites remain dominant, do the Greens have something to prove, will the Blues not be complete poo poo this time? I don't know but what I do know is that I can't wait to watch these roided up Italian men punch each other in a sandy piazza

What is Calcio Storico?

Basically this

More Precisely
Calcio fiorentino (also known as calcio storico "historic football") is an early form of football that originated in 16th century Italy. Once widely played, the sport is thought to have originated in the Piazza Santa Croce in Florence. Interest in Calcio waned in the early 17th century. However in 1930 it was reorganized as a game in Kingdom of Italy. Today, three matches are played each year in Piazza Santa Croce in Florence in the 3rd week of June. A team from each quartiere of the city is represented:

Santa Croce / Azzurri (Blues)

Santa Maria Novella / Rossi (Reds)

Santo Spirito / Bianchi (Whites)

San Giovanni / Verdi (Greens)

After playing each other in two opening games, the two winners go onto the final which occurs each year on June 24th.

Rules

The modern version of calcio allows tactics such as head-butting, punching, elbowing, and choking but sucker punches and kicks to the head are banned. The game is played on a field of sand with a narrow slit constituting the goal, running the width of each end. Each teams comprises 27 players who are allowed to use both feet and hands to pass and control the ball. Goals (or cacce) are scored by throwing the ball over into the netting at the end of the field. There is a main referee, six linesmen and a field master. Each match is played out for 50 minutes with the winner being the team with the most goals scored.

What essentially happens is the two teams line up and beat on each other. The team with the ball tries to preoccupy the other team by beating them down or taking them down to the point where a gap is created and the ball runner can go on a run towards goal. The goal is narrow and missing a shot on goal gives the opponents .5 points. Scoring a goal nets the shooting team 1 pt. Because of the penalty for missing, players try to get fairly close before shooting. When it comes to tackling a ball carrier anything goes including kicking his legs out from under him.

That's basically the rules but in actuality what happens is a big clusterfuck wherein a bunch of referees and assistants dressed like renaissance clowns run around calling things as they see fit.

(Respect this man's authority)

Players will break rules if they feel like they can get away with it and justice is arbitrarily dished out. However, players can and frequently do, get ejected for breaking the rules. This usually occurs after the most ferocious of hand gesturing. There seems to be a gentleman's agreement not to kick eachother's asses too bad, but I honestly have no real idea and people do get their rear end kicked.

The winners get a year of bragging rights and a white cow.

When to watch
Semi-final Verdi vs Bianchi - 6/11/ 12:30 pm est
Semi-final Rossi vs Azurri - 6/12/ 12:30 pm est
Final TBA 6/24 12:30 pm est

Where to watch
The local Florentine channel that airs the games has a convenient HD web broadcast.
http://www.rtv38.com/livetest.html Be wary of when you click on this because they air ads for strip clubs at night

Why you should watch

Italian amateur striking

Italian amateur grappling

More importantly- It's legitimately crazy, bizarre and entertaining.

Check this poo poo out of you want
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EioSnjSjq00
A semi final from last year. Probably the best game of the bunch. End to end stuff

A short documentary focusing on the lead up to the game. Not the greatest, but interesting none the less.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XctCNiDICXo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Last Year's Highlights

tasty goals

running clotheslines

crucial blocks

full blast spears

the importance of friendship and hydration

Bonfiglio Fan Zone

Bonfiglio is the leader of last year's winners the Bianchi. Bonfiglio embodies the spirit of Calcio Storico.

A lover

A fighter

A fashion icon

and a man with an uncanny ability to constantly be in the middle of every bust up on the field.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 9, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Oh gently caress yeah this is back again??

You better believe it

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

What are the vegas odds on this?

-25000 to be totally sick

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

Alright I'm in.

Edit -

According to https://www.visitflorence.com/florence-events/calcio-storico-fiorentino.html the matches and dates are as follows.

June 11th: “Greens” of San Giovanni vs “Whites” of Santo Spirito in the internet famous Piazza Santa Croce.

June 12th: “Reds” of Santa Maria Novella vs “Blues” of Santa Croce.

Both matches take place at 5pm in Italy.

It's in the OP. If things go the same way as last year the games will start at 12:30 pm est

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Bushmeister posted:

Is Bonfiglio the one who's gonna be representing calcio fiorentino in MOAT FIGHTS late in July, or some other random roided Italian man?

How did I not know this was happening. No, it's not Bonfiglio going to Japan it's Michele 'Iron Mike' Verginelli (18-11 mma) who also plays for the Bianchi.

What a stacked team

Also in my yearly research I've found out that Bonfiglio has "TOTAL CAOS" (sic) tattoed on his back and was ejected from the finals from last year because he kicked that dude in the gif in the head when he was on the ground, I don't think it was intentional though, who knows. Other Gossip includes that Lapi was playing for the Verdi because they had a lot of injuries and expulsions, apparently the midfield was ravaged in the final and for those two reasons he had no one to pass to. It totally isn't because the Michael Jordan of Calcio Storico wants to die in the piazza during a game.

What a legend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLbPy-cgGa0

I actually hope he still laces up his clown pants this year again for my lifelong team the greens provided he just aims for goal this time and doesn't attempt to run.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 9, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I will be out of town for the weekend so I'll only be able to phone post. I wont be able to gif this year, maybe at the end after the matches are on youtube. Anyways, tomorrow

Verdi vs Bianchi

Verdi fans get amped up here, bathe in our rich history
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb4ENoLLLj8

Bianchi fans bookmark this Bonfiglio photo album and find your next desktop wallpaper here.
http://flickriver.com/photos/umbertofedele/sets/72157629680269899/

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The prematch coverage is on right now if you have nothing to do and want to stare at sweaty Italians. Pageantry starts probably at 12, game at 12 30

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Triticum Guzzler posted:

i'm a greens man now. tell your friends.

Wise choice

They're feeling each other out right now. Green gonna amp it up soon.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

What a bounce.... I'm fuming

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Swift reply!

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I swear I saw a double axe handle to the back. This game rules

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Why doesn't green have blockers on the wall. Bianchi are scoring soft goals

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Terrible defence today gently caress

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Rebound hustle play get in

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

That blonde piece of poo poo juked 3 dudes

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Verdi defense tipped that in. Our defense is shambles

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

White is changing the game with bounce shot. Verdi needs to start going for kos

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Were still in this

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Golashes posted:

i was wondering why this is only an annual event and seeing the amount of guys holding their head i think it makes sense now

There's usually like 4 stretcherings a game. This game has been light

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

gently caress

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Triticum Guzzler posted:

i hope the other games this weekend are equally good. this is a high point in calcio storico.

It was a classic but I want a few more stretchers and .5 pts.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm really mad right now

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

was that the last game today?

Yea next one is tomorrow, same time

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

canepazzo posted:

http://www.lanazione.it/firenze/calcio-storico-1.2245690

Article's in italian, but looks like the Bianchi captain, Marino Vieri, has been jumped on by two Verdi on his way to the bus, punched, thrown on the ground and then kicked while down. Seltzer, I vaguely remember one year there was some similar violence outside of the matches, and the whole tournament was suspended then cancelled?

The city council tried to pass a law banning all players over the age of like 40 or 45, something like that because teams were skewing older and a lot of the roid grandfathers had decades long beefs with eachother stemming from the game and living in the same city. The council also wanted to water down the game a bit. A lot of players, especially Lapi and Verdi threw a fit and threatened to not play, I don't remember if they quit that year and one team got a bye (I think that happened) or not. Either way the council didnt water down the rules but put a cap of like 7 players per team over 40 and everyone compromised. Again this is all foggy secondhand poo poo im remembering right now.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Bushmeister posted:

What I remember from last year:

the Reds are big burly guys who gas fast, like to play real physical and cheat like motherfuckers. Most Likely Team to contain career criminals.

the Blues are a garbage team for garbage people

This is correct, also any new viewers, last chance this year to become a lifelong fan of a team if you missed the verdi and bianchi bandwagons.

e- A lot of massive dudes on red.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 12, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Triticum Guzzler posted:

i officially support the blue losers. is bonfiglio playing this year

Hey I saw your green fan posts earlier. As for Bonfiglio I was just wondering the same thing, he wasn't in the first game so I'm wondering if the expulsion from last years final carried over, I know they carry from semis to finals in the same year.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Knockdowns already nice

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

1st stretchering of the tourney, blue red is definitely the opposite of yesterdays game, getting testy already. Also someone on blue threw a spinning roundhouse

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Triticum Guzzler posted:

gently caress the reds and their boring possession based calcio

That blue player kamikazeing at the red ballholder owned.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

2 expulsions ?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Lol tossed out of the grounds, the reds are scummy as heck

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

This is boiling over only 15 mins in, excellent

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Triticum Guzzler posted:

show em how it's done blues

Triticum Guzzler posted:

i'm a greens man now. tell your friends.

hmmmmm

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Why do the reds get 1/2 point when they got scored on?

The blue shot went over the net, over the net = .5 to the other team

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Triticum Guzzler posted:

the reds are insanely boring

They're really good at playing dirty and actually striking people which is why I want them in the final vs the offensive grace of the whites

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Shameful shooting

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I like the one super old guy on blue who looks like the slave owner from gladiator just getting smushed up against the wall

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The blues are so unathletic lol. embarassing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Sionistic posted:

Does throwing someone out get you thrown out?

I don't think so, the first guy who did it stayed,.... the rules are largely made up on the fly and applied haphazardly

• Locked thread