Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Where I live, the "homeless problem" is much talked about, and it's been a growing problem for a very long time. People like to talk generally about "the homeless" and problems caused by "the homeless" and solutions to "the homeless" but homeless people are not some monolithic group. Everyone has their own reasons for becoming and remaining homeless, and most likely needs different strategies to "solve" them.

Where I live, most of the visible homeless are there because of severe drug addiction and mental health issues. These are people way beyond "just get a job" solutions. Even if you could get them off drugs, they're most likely too hosed up to ever hold a job and will need some level of support for the rest of their lives. Yet I hear so much of "well if there weren't so many handouts for the homeless they'd be forced to clean up and get jobs yet we also can't put them in any sort of institution or hold them responsible for their actions because that would be an attack on their freedoms and dignity.

On the other side of the spectrum, there's perfectly able people who through some bad luck or bad choices found themselves homeless and trapped in the poverty cycle. The longer they stay trapped in this cycle, the higher their chances of becoming addicts, developing a mental illness or severe emotional issues, and the harder it will be to get them out of it. Many of these people just need a safe secure place to call home while they sort their life out and they can easily get back on their feet again, and even if they can't, providing housing and basic support keeps them from falling into the first category I listed.

There are many experts with many sorts of evidence based ideas, but they mostly go ignored. On the other hand "homeless activists" can often be the most ridiculous bleeding heart caricatures who want to declare breaking into cars for drug money is just like a different type of lifestyle can who are we to judge.

I'm very interested in hearing people who know what they're talking about (or don't) ideas on addressing problems of homelessness (and the addiction and mental health issues that often related). I'd also love to hear people's experiences with homelessness and its effects. It's such a huge topic and hard to cover even the basic questions in a single OP without it becoming some 10 page essay.

PS
Here's what my neighbourhood currently looks like

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread