Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I need a Linux and I wonder if anyone knows a Good Linux to use? I just need a Linux that is simple to use so I can run a program that needs Linux and does anyone have one that is better than other Linuxes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Sintax posted:

I need a Linux and I wonder if anyone knows a Good Linux to use? I just need a Linux that is simple to use so I can run a program that needs Linux and does anyone have one that is better than other Linuxes?

I use Hog Linux. The linux for hogs.

Aug 4, 2010

ubuntu

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[extremely stupid nerd voice] arch

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

www posted:

ubuntu
I hear this a lot but what makes abuntu better than another one?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Mint is good.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

paul_soccer10 posted:

[extremely stupid nerd voice] arch

shut up nerd

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Furthermore; is there A Linux that has all the screens draw out the characters one-by-one and make blips and boops when all the menus come up and all that stuff (like in the movies)?

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

m'linux

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Sintax posted:

I hear this a lot but what makes abuntu better than another one?

after you install it you can tell people you are a hacker. ubuntu translates to "l33t h4x0r" roughly.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

CentOS is free redhat so get that m'lord

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CentOS

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I would get CentOS but I'm sure I would only be disappointed that it's not a sentient OS

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

for your desktop or laptop (year of the linux desktop lol) ubuntu or mint

if it's for your company idk, maybe redhat

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS
A dead linux

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

GastonEatTheEggs posted:

for your desktop or laptop (year of the linux desktop lol) ubuntu or mint

if it's for your company idk, maybe redhat

please don't recommend mint to people, it's a sad mess.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Serviette posted:

A dead linux
‮?"egarotS xuniL daeD" dias taht tnorf ni tuo ngis a eciton uoy did ,daerht ereh siht ni pu gnillup emac uoy nehW

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Debian

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

loving hipsters and their Linux.

Real men use UNIX.

HPUX

AIX

You don't really need a backspace key right? :grin:

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS

Al Cowens posted:

‮?"egarotS xuniL daeD" dias taht tnorf ni tuo ngis a eciton uoy did ,daerht ereh siht ni pu gnillup emac uoy nehW

Al, you know I ain't seen no poo poo

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Wendigee posted:

CentOS is free redhat so get that m'lord

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CentOS

centos is good

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Probably Gentoo. It's all compiled directly from source so you get the fastest possible system. It really only takes a couple weeks of reading and days of compiling to set up, and if you're not prepared to out in that bit of effort I don't really know what to tell you.

But really, don't use Linux. Use some RedHat or derivative (like Centos or Oracle) on servers without a GUI, and use Cygwin for Windows or brew/fink on OS X on clients. Most programs work under one if the two.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

I don't think the OP is looking for serious or accurate advice. That said, you can always tell if someone has real Linux experience by whether they bother with a distro other than Debian (they don't).

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Palace of Hate posted:

centos is good

if youre a webserver hahaha rack them

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
get it

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

all day every day [as a headless server because lmao linux on the desktop]

but yeah comedy option mandrake from the early 2000s, back when I first tried to use linux

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

klafbang posted:

Probably Gentoo. It's all compiled directly from source so you get the fastest possible system. It really only takes a couple weeks of reading and days of compiling to set up, and if you're not prepared to out in that bit of effort I don't really know what to tell you.

But really, don't use Linux. Use some RedHat or derivative (like Centos or Oracle) on servers without a GUI, and use Cygwin for Windows or brew/fink on OS X on clients. Most programs work under one if the two.
same

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Mint is Ubuntu without Amazon

Debian is Mint without Easy Mode

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Pawn 17 posted:

Mint is good.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

paul_soccer10 posted:

if youre a webserver hahaha rack them

i do get it, pretty good

but seriosly redhat/centos has everything you might ever need and should have most of the latest drivers available or even in box as its actively being updated. Just don't try to play video games on it there no way it supports your video card.

I don't know what Debian is for but it ain't enterprise class business because a customer has never requested it.

in before someone says freeBSD

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 9, 2016

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

kubuntu :smug:

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Wendigee posted:

i do get it, pretty good

but seriosly redhat/centos has everything you might ever need and should have most of the latest drivers available or even in box as its actively being updated.

I don't know what Debian is for but it ain't enterprise class business because a customer has never requested it.

in before someone says freeBSD

enterprise means "for the clueless" how have you not figured this out yet

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Sintax posted:

go here: http://distrowatch.com/

click random distribution and use it

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Novo posted:

enterprise means "for the clueless" how have you not figured this out yet

enterprise means for companies that need reliable operating systems and are willing to pay for support actually and you can nix the second half by using CentOS.

if you are seriously using linux for your desktop or laptop... i dunno whats wrong with you but anything is fine, just use ubuntu its easy to install and runs, just don't plan to play video games or use a weird network card.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Linux from Scratch, or Slackware are good beginner distributions. Linux from scratch is for mothers who like to bake pies, or make bread from scratch, and Slackware is for slackers, laid back 90's kids.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

If you're lucky enough to have a computer that can run the Linux, put the ubuntu on it (it's pronounced "Ooo-bun-two")

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Most popular distributions are borderline the same these days and they're all fine.

CentOS for servers.

Also, no linux is good if you have an amd/ati card lmao welcome to dos/windows 3.1 tier driver hell.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

SCO Xenix

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I try to say H-pux "aich pucks" at work to grind peoples gears and hilariously others have started calling it H-pux instead of HP UX ( aich pee you ex) and this amuses me greatly.

Also there is this dude at work that pronounces Chassis as Chass-sis instead of Chass-sea and that amuses me to no end as well.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I'm a simple man with a simple mans pleasures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I prefer Windows 98 lol Linux fukkin sux dude

• Locked thread