Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Al Cowens posted:

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Source your RMS quotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Puppy Linux.

You could try out a ton of different distros to see which you like best by running them straight off a usb stick in a virtual environment.

It's dead easy and fast if you use this - http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Illuminati Linux XL

Demon Lord
Jun 8, 2003
ex nihil, ex omni, ad infinitum
Red Hate Lunix

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
jesus christ you loving noobs

kali if you want to be a superhacker and if you don't want ot be a superhacker :getout:

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
They are all steaming garbage. The trick is finding one that matches your stupid choices in life that brought you to this stupid place that needs teh linux.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
If you are asking which linux then you don't have the answers you need to differentiate between performance of competing linux OSes. Choose any :)

I prefer windows 3.1. Dinosaurs 3d is really good

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
Grab yourself a PowerPC and find a BeOS iso, your welcome

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

OpenBSD :smug:

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
ubuntu if you dont want to learn linux, debian if you do

fedora if you want to try something different after the first two

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

gently caress you Linux powered by Carl's Jr.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Im sure everyone will agree on what the best linux on in this thread it isnt a highly contentious subject at all

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

gargle chome posted:

ubuntu if you dont want to learn linux, debian if you do

unironic lmao

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

it costs zero dollars to use

absolute destruction, windows chumps :agesilaus:

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qftb2O--Y

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Al Cowens posted:

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I spent my life contributing the the GNU codebase and I get really mad when people say "Linux is the best OS in the world!!!" and they don't give me credit. :mad:

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Pawn 17 posted:

I spent my life contributing the the GNU codebase and I get really mad when people say "Linux is the best OS in the world!!!" and they don't give me credit. :mad:

thank you pawn 17

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
thawn17

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

a change has happened

perhaps steve jobs left a bunsen on

thants

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

DrPossum posted:

thank you pawn 17

umm, I was actually kinda hoping "thank you" meant a blow job from a really hot girl, but this is nice too I guess.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Linux bad

Kali good for a few things

osx ok

windows good

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord
I am Linux-curious looking to experiment with alternative forms of computing. Can anyone tell me any sizzling tales about the advantages of the Linux lifestyle?

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Hobelhouse posted:

I am Linux-curious looking to experiment with alternative forms of computing. Can anyone tell me any sizzling tales about the advantages of the Linux lifestyle?

yes the advantage is u can run Windows in virtual box

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

Grab yourself a PowerPC and find a BeOS iso, your welcome

Why not run it on a PC?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Hobelhouse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRHAio98n-g

You can also use keyboard shortcuts to move windows between workspaces which is the more practical way to do it.

Updates don't require a reboot the majority of the time or interrupt anything you're doing.

That's about all I've got for practical everyday advantages that don't apply to a really minimal number of users who probably know the advantages of linux for them already.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 11, 2016

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Linux from Scratch, or Slackware are good beginner distributions. Linux from scratch is for mothers who like to bake pies, or make bread from scratch, and Slackware is for slackers, laid back 90's kids.
These are much more useful ways to rate the distributions than in terms of security, ease of use/install, documentation, community support, and intended purposes for the fork in the first place.

I am a mafia hitman. What's the Linux distribution for me?

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.
If you're doing anything that actually matters, like as part of a job where money and other peoples time is on the line, you use CentOS. If you don't agree you have no business getting paid to do even lovely server janitor jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I like Mint.

• Locked thread