Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The boss fights in this game are really good. It looks like HAL learned from Triple Deluxe on that front. That game had good boss fights too, but some of those bosses (Pyribbit especially :argh:) had the problem of hanging out in the background too much, leaving you limited opportunities to damage them. There's a lot less of that downtime in Planet Robobot. Probably helps that some of those fights just take place in circular arenas.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Incredible. Somehow Kirby of all the games has pulled off a drat excellent plot twist, and by far the most blatant connection between games outside of Paintra being Drawcia's sister. Still curious how it all links up, though. Definitely don't look at this spoiler until you've beaten the game, in case you're the kind of person who might be tempted. Does Star Dream become Nova after this, somehow, or did Haltmann just build it from the remaining debris sometime after the defeat of Marx Soul? I'm leaning toward the former, though I suppose the True Arena might clear things up a little.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

EclecticTastes posted:

Incredible. Somehow Kirby of all the games has pulled off a drat excellent plot twist, and by far the most blatant connection between games outside of Paintra being Drawcia's sister. Still curious how it all links up, though. Definitely don't look at this spoiler until you've beaten the game, in case you're the kind of person who might be tempted. Does Star Dream become Nova after this, somehow, or did Haltmann just build it from the remaining debris sometime after the defeat of Marx Soul? I'm leaning toward the former, though I suppose the True Arena might clear things up a little.

Remember how I said all games are connected? Spoilers

Him and Marx apparently knew that there's a ton of them, Star Dream is just one of them.

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before
Just got back from picking up the Kirby and Waddle Dee amiibos for this game and they're so cute and well made and I love them!!

That you can get certain powers from the majority of amiibos is a nice bonus too. I'm sure it'll benefit the more avid collectors out there, but I'm pretty content with what I have. :shobon: The above two aside, Poison is a pretty neat power.

Dreamy Souffle fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 10, 2016

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Him and Marx apparently knew that there's a ton of them, Star Dream is just one of them.

Was the end of this game par for the course for recent Kirby games? Because holy poo poo. It did space ship battles better than the entirety of Star Fox Zero.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Well, I was aware of that connection, but given that Star Dream summons the very same items that are embedded in Nova's face, it doesn't seem likely that it's a mere coincidence. My pet theory is that by the end of all this, it'll turn out that all the magic that turned the various recent villains into Soul bosses (Drawcia, Magolor, Sectonia, Marx, and I'm gonna assume Star Dream/Nova) ends up combining along with some fraction of the hosts' actual souls to form Zero, at which point they go take over the Dark Matter and kick off the events of Dream Land 2 or 3 (the Dark Matter from 2 may not have been under Zero's control at the time).

Jesus, the more I think about Kirby's lore, the more I notice that Kirby actually has a ton of lore.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

There's a lot more you'll learn about doing meta knights stuff. Kirby lore is real and shockingly powerful.

Jetfire posted:

Was the end of this game par for the course for recent Kirby games? Because holy poo poo. It did space ship battles better than the entirety of Star Fox Zero.

This was a new level, but yeah most Kirby games try to have insane final bosses.

E: If you wanna know more about enemies in Kirby games pause whenever a boss bar shows up- there's little blurbs and stuff to read about whatever you're facing that can give backstory or small tidbits of the area.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 10, 2016

Grandpa Goodtimes
Oct 10, 2012

I know one bone in my body that works.
I think this game is better than Triple Deluxe. It's really hard to say for sure since Triple Deluxe is so good, but I think it wins out for me.

I appreciate this game's usage of the '3D Arena'. I think it makes some of the boss fights really fun and interesting. Its also a cool little sort of callback to Kirby 64. I also like that they nerfed the Burning Upswing from the Hammer and/or evened out the damage it did. It's nice knowing that the other powers are made more viable as a result?

I really hope that Nintendo springs one more Kirby game like this before the end of the 3DS, because the quality is just knocking out of the park. Everything about these games has been just a big old nostalgic romp and super great. I've still got to beat Kirby's Return to Dreamland (bought it earlier this week) and between that and this I'm loving the state of Kirby games right now.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

There's a lot more you'll learn about doing meta knights stuff. Kirby lore is real and shockingly powerful.

This is true, but easy to forget in all the bright colors and excellent, breezy gameplay. I mean, I've been playing Kirby since I was three years old, Dream Land was the first video game I ever laid hands on, and I still often fail to appreciate how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Playing around, it looks like bosses no longer have invincibility frames like in RtD or TD. The result is that Ice is disgustingly broken! :catstare: Its midair attack hits multiple times, which only hits bosses once in TD. In Planet Robobot, it shreds them in a few seconds. I'm not sure if this out damages Hammer, though.

It looks like the change was to accommodate for Poison's DOTs, but they didn't bother nerfing other multi hit skills in the process. :v:

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 11, 2016

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Super glad to hear this game owns. I loved Triple Deluxe to death and I'm tempted to grab this game immediately after work. Kirby games are always great, that's the one constant in life.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The only complaint I have about the game so far is them changing the Select button to no longer drop your current ability.

Also I spent about two minutes in 1-1 trying to figure out how to get the Code Cube before I realized it was in the foreground. :negative:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
The new PSI mini-boss looks like the love child of Mewtwo and Giygas back when he was a good kid.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Ah, the good old Mirror ability is back. It was my standby in Kirby Super Star. The shield isn't as ungodly broken anymore and actually shuts down after enough hits, but in exchange it reflects projectiles back at the attacker, and it got a couple new moves.

If the next Kirby game somewhere down the road gets Yo-Yo back, I'll be very happy.

Star Dream is loving bananas. Pitifully easy if you know that Sail Wing is literally a barrel roll a la Star Fox, but still a crazy fight that was much more than I expected. I can't wait for the inevitable True Arena version.

Also I find it hilarious how the Star Fox-styled final boss has infinitely better controls than Star Fox Zero with a nerfed barrel roll (it has a notable cooldown).

EclecticTastes posted:

This is true, but easy to forget in all the bright colors and excellent, breezy gameplay. I mean, I've been playing Kirby since I was three years old, Dream Land was the first video game I ever laid hands on, and I still often fail to appreciate how deep the rabbit hole goes.

That's what I like about this series: you only have to worry about the storyline if you want to. The lore and tidbits are actually put together quite well and scattered all over the various games if you take the time to look, but it's in no way required and isn't ever shoved down your throat, so you can just enjoy the gameplay however you choose.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 10, 2016

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

The only complaint I have about the game so far is them changing the Select button to no longer drop your current ability.

One of the face buttons does this.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

One of the face buttons does this.

It's the X button. Does pose a slight inconvenience if you play a lot of Smash Bros., I find I occasionally go to jump and whoops gotta inhale that power star.

By the way, I've seen some praise for Poison (and rightly so), so I'm gonna give props to Doctor as a fun new power. The clipboard dash is interesting (you don't go through large enemies like most dash attacks, preventing you from stopping inside a boss and getting hit), the research lab is neat, and the pills are surprisingly useful, dealing respectable damage and staying onscreen a while, making them useful for bosses that move around a lot, especially if you're trying to keep your distance. My favorite part, though, is probably the very satisfying clicking sound the pills make when they bounce, it's just a really nice sound effect.

ESP's pretty good, too, though the moveset's a little small (and two moves require you to do some serious teching), and outside of the pretty rad dash attack, attacking with it leaves you immobile. Used right, though, ESP could end up alongside Stone as a power that people who aren't that good at video games can use to cheese their way to victory.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I wasn't expecting to like Team Kirby Clash as much as I did. I had more interest in 3D Rumble. It's decent, but a bit barebones. Hopefully they'll make a more fleshed out version, or maybe a whole game of 3D Kirby in the future.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Bruceski posted:

Why can we only place two stickers? I want to Nascar up my mech, if there's any paint visible it's too much.

There is actually a very good reason at the end of the game.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

The final boss is some next level poo poo, jesus christ.

Kirby is the loving best.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
This game is loving good as hell!! Jet is the best.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I just discovered one of the newly-added forms for Stone Kirby, and it's pretty great. Now he can turn into the true face of evil.

Turns out Haltmann Works Company must have taken out a loan from a certain unscrupulous racoon....

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Holy poo poo, the final boss! :supaburn:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'll confess, I let out a great whoop at that chapter 7 cutscene.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
Got the Kirby amiibo and game bundle through the post yesterday. So exciting, love the Kirby!

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

alcharagia posted:

There has never been a Kirby game which was not good, so yes.

Counterpoint: Kirby's Air Ride

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Okay here's a small spoiler for anyone who makes it to the end of the True Arena because this is actually pretty bullshit. When you beat the final boss' last form, the waves it gives off are not just cutscene stuff, and are also an instant-kill that overrides Stone, so be sure to dodge them.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

vorebane posted:

Counterpoint: Kirby's Air Ride

This might be the worst opinion of all time.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Hello everyone, I just beat the game, and it was good. Gonna do the bonus campaign eventually. The connection to past games makes me wonder about the big picture. Is there anything concrete that connects to other games besides the Dark Matter trilogy and the thingie (you know) in Triple Deluxe? Or is it all just speculation?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Alxprit posted:

Hello everyone, I just beat the game, and it was good. Gonna do the bonus campaign eventually. The connection to past games makes me wonder about the big picture. Is there anything concrete that connects to other games besides the Dark Matter trilogy and the thingie (you know) in Triple Deluxe? Or is it all just speculation?

There's connections in just about every game. Here's a thing I typed up awhile ago for someone else. Feel free to make fun of me.

Like at first it was just Dedede being a dick and building a castle and taking all the food- Kirby beat him up and that's the last time Dedede was "evil." (Kirby's first game)

After that nightmares kept popping up and Kirby visits the Spring of Dreams (because nobody can sleep with constant nightmares) and finds him lounging in the spring and assumes that the penguin's up to no good. Turns out Dedede got to the Nightmare first and the only idea he could come up with was to seal it in the fountain (making things worse) and he was just lazing about trying to make sure it stayed sealed. Final boss was the two of them working together somewhat to beat the hell out of Nightmare.

Meta Knight see's that Kirby is the only one trying to save Dreamland and gets it in his head to conqure the land and make everyone train so they wouldn't have to depend on Kirby. He launches the Halberd and invades aiming to make the place better protected overall. Kirby stops him and sinks the Halberd into the ocean squashing that idea out of Meta Knight.

Fresh off that victory the sun and moon start fighting and Marx, tiny lil imp dude, pleads that Kirby finds NOVA- a huge rear end living clockwork star that grants wishes and use it to get the two celestial bodies to stop. As Kirby approaches it and is ready to make his wish Marx comes out of fuggin' nowhere and demands he gets turned into Popstar's king and gets to rule it. NOVA turns him into a even bigger super powered rear end in a top hat and the two rush off to Popstar where the sun and moon (assuming it's Mr Bright and Mr Shine) stop to hold NOVA back. Kirby trashes NOVA and Marx and just heads to bed because man that wasn't worth it.

Then Dark Matter showed up and possessed Dedede and learned the concept of jealousy and whatnot (over Kirby's fame). It then tried to "help" Dedede by taking his body over and Kirby had to literally pound it out of him and then sword fight it in the sky which just pissed it off leading to Dream Land 3 where 0 showed up. 0 Killed itself in a bloody shower to try to kill Kirby and it was over... except not really as 0 just decided to go gently caress with other planets instead leading to 64. Popstar just wasn't worth it. You literally hunt down 0's soul and destroy it at the end of the game.

Amazing Mirror then took place in the downtime, a strange artifact showed up and was spitting out evil copies of things and Meta Knight went to check it out and wound up getting trapped himself. Kirby went in to save him and it's seemingly just a random story thing until Squeak Squad came out.

Before being defunct the Amazing Mirror copied 0 and shat out Dark 0 which was promptly defeated by Meta Knight and locked in a chest. During the course of the game you fish out the Halberd from the sea (from back in Super Star) and repair it to go after the mice that stole the chest thinking it was just treasure.

We got Returns to Dreamland next which had Magolor talk about the NOVA star's Marx was after back in Super Star. Apparently a ancient race was super advanced and making GBS threads these wish granting planetoids out and they developed a crown that could make you godlike, he of course heard this from Marx himself back in the day (it's implied). Magolor shits the bed when he gets the crown and gets beat up though goes on to actually become a staple buddy and build theme parks. (Dream Collection and a few minigames in triple deluxe are his creations.)

Triple Deluxe comes out and starts grasping games even further back to pull them in. Drawcia, the villain of Canvas Curse has a sister named Paintra it turns out and a mysterious artist brought them to life for unknown reason before escaping with his or her own paint brush. Magolor has opened up Dedede's Drum Dash also. Kirby goes on his adventure and clears it but there's actually a story that's unspoken behind Dedede Tour. Dedede gets word from a cleanup crew that there's something evil going on back at the Sectonia throne room and finds out the Amazing Mirror was stored there (a thing that's known to create evil clones of things) and heads out to shatter it.

In Robobot (actual spoilers) you find Sectonia was actually a tiny bug person like Taranza and actually used the mirror to mind wipe a nice queen and take her body over and that's why it was there in the first place. Haltmann meanwhile has lost his daughter Sue in a accident and has gone totally nuts trying to find a way to revive her due to his guilt. He finds a defunct NOVA unit and repairs it. He then starts blindly following it's orders as he lost his reason to live and it points him at popstar as Sectonia's flower from Triple Deluxe spikes a alarm saying "Hey tons of organic stuff here we can use" and he comes after it.

Sue is actually Susie who was trapped in Another Dimension from Returns to Dreamland and was tossed back into this reality at a older age where she works as a secretary now.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 23, 2016

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Alxprit posted:

Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot seem to have the most concrete connections, but yeah, all this continuity stuff only started up with Return to Dreamland. Before that, only the Dark Matter trilogy had any sort of connection. It looks like Hal's planning to tie the series together, possibly due to their realization that a lot of fans are old enough to appreciate it, given how old the character is.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

EclecticTastes posted:

Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot seem to have the most concrete connections, but yeah, all this continuity stuff only started up with Return to Dreamland. Before that, only the Dark Matter trilogy had any sort of connection. It looks like Hal's planning to tie the series together, possibly due to their realization that a lot of fans are old enough to appreciate it, given how old the character is.

Eh other games have their own connections too- like how I mentioned in Squeak Squad you have to fish out the Halberd for Meta Knight after sinking it in Super Star.

Returns and past that are constantly reaching back for stuff though, yeah.

E: I actually just went back and added a few things including Robobots story and stuff.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 11, 2016

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

That's an interesting theory, but I think the timeline's a lot more complicated than that. Dream Land and Adventure definitely came first, but I believe that it's Amazing Mirror that happens next, and Return to Dream Land is what came right after that. Then Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot happen shortly afterwards, with Canvas Curse happening somewhere in that time, as well (before, during, or after). Not long after come the events of Revenge of Meta Knight (preceded by Dyna Blade), where after the failed alien invasion, Meta Knight decides that Popstar needs to militarize to fend off threats like that in the future, rather than rely on a flake like Kirby. After that comes Milky Way Wishes, where Marx tricks Kirby into tracking down Nova, the remains of Star Dream, while around the same time, Meta Knight uses it to have a rematch with Galacta Knight (GK being the strongest entity Nova knows). Marx ends up killed along with Nova, and like every previous villain up to that point besides Nightmare, becomes an insane revenant animated and warped by the magic of the device he messed with. After that comes the events of the Dark Matter Trilogy. Dark Matter invades Dream Land, attempting to use Dedede as a puppet ruler, and is defeated, but encounters the lost, angry, magic-infused souls of the previous villains, who have coalesced into into a force of pure hatred, Zero. It ends up infecting a portion of the Dark Matter, taking on its familiar giant eyeball form in the process, and eventually takes over entirely. Then it's destroyed in Dream Land 3, but like the beings it was formed from, Zero's full of too much ill-advised magic to die so easily, and its soul persists, continuing to control the Dark Matter, but what little sense of identity and purpose it had (such as hating Kirby, and by extension, Popstar) in Dream Land 3 was destroyed, leaving it with just the impulse to corrupt and/or destroy everything it can reach, which is what happens in 64. Then the rest of the series happens from there. Dark Nebula is the fused remains of the Dark Matter and 02, far weaker than they had been in 64, but still very dangerous. Also, some games with little connection to the rest of the series (Epic Yarn and Rainbow Curse, for exampe) could take place in-between a lot of stuff (though Rainbow Curse definitely happened sometime after Canvas Curse).

And this is assuming there's not LoZ-style timeline split coming somewhere down the line.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Oh man that final boss sequence.

Oh hey there's Meta Knight time to ride the Halberd into what is going on.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The GB quick view of it was pretty funny, Dan and Jeff askin if Kirby got his doctorate from the same med school as Dr Mario

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The GB quick view of it was pretty funny, Dan and Jeff askin if Kirby got his doctorate from the same med school as Dr Mario

Protip: Doctor Kirby makes every cutscene even better.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Planet Robert Bot

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

EclecticTastes posted:

That's an interesting theory, but I think the timeline's a lot more complicated than that. Dream Land and Adventure definitely came first, but I believe that it's Amazing Mirror that happens next, and Return to Dream Land is what came right after that. Then Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot happen shortly afterwards, with Canvas Curse happening somewhere in that time, as well (before, during, or after). Not long after come the events of Revenge of Meta Knight (preceded by Dyna Blade), where after the failed alien invasion, Meta Knight decides that Popstar needs to militarize to fend off threats like that in the future, rather than rely on a flake like Kirby. After that comes Milky Way Wishes, where Marx tricks Kirby into tracking down Nova, the remains of Star Dream, while around the same time, Meta Knight uses it to have a rematch with Galacta Knight (GK being the strongest entity Nova knows). Marx ends up killed along with Nova, and like every previous villain up to that point besides Nightmare, becomes an insane revenant animated and warped by the magic of the device he messed with. After that comes the events of the Dark Matter Trilogy. Dark Matter invades Dream Land, attempting to use Dedede as a puppet ruler, and is defeated, but encounters the lost, angry, magic-infused souls of the previous villains, who have coalesced into into a force of pure hatred, Zero. It ends up infecting a portion of the Dark Matter, taking on its familiar giant eyeball form in the process, and eventually takes over entirely. Then it's destroyed in Dream Land 3, but like the beings it was formed from, Zero's full of too much ill-advised magic to die so easily, and its soul persists, continuing to control the Dark Matter, but what little sense of identity and purpose it had (such as hating Kirby, and by extension, Popstar) in Dream Land 3 was destroyed, leaving it with just the impulse to corrupt and/or destroy everything it can reach, which is what happens in 64. Then the rest of the series happens from there. Dark Nebula is the fused remains of the Dark Matter and 02, far weaker than they had been in 64, but still very dangerous. Also, some games with little connection to the rest of the series (Epic Yarn and Rainbow Curse, for exampe) could take place in-between a lot of stuff (though Rainbow Curse definitely happened sometime after Canvas Curse).

And this is assuming there's not LoZ-style timeline split coming somewhere down the line.

Robobot has pretty conclusive proof that it and Triple Deluxe come after the Dark Matter Trilogy (somewhat big spoilers) Seeing as Star Dream creates a clone of Dark Matter's swordsman form and all.

But yeah you can shuffle some stuff around and still make it work.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Posting in this thread to rep the kirby avatar. Wanna play this game. None of the spoilers makes sense with 0 context. Loving this poo poo

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Robobot has pretty conclusive proof that it and Triple Deluxe come after the Dark Matter Trilogy (somewhat big spoilers) Seeing as Star Dream creates a clone of Dark Matter's swordsman form and all.

But yeah you can shuffle some stuff around and still make it work.

In theory, Dream Land 2 could come long before Dream Land 3, actually. I'm aware of the Dark Matter Clone, but like I said, I believe Dark Matter was independent at that point, and Zero didn't yet exist. So, its place along the timeline is quite flexible (whereas 64 almost certainly came very shortly after Dream Land 3).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Are there warps in Meta Knightmare Returns like there were in Dededetour?

• Locked thread