Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Welcome to the Combat Mission Final Blitzkrieg LP!

Sign ups closed!https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZZ3ZPC1O_TPOBF1KMM1xt92ipw4VLjtcStAsUgmAZTM/edit#gid=0
Allies Threadhttp://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779981
Axis Threadhttp://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779983

TURNS
One-Three: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779496&pagenumber=5#post461416490
Four: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779496&pagenumber=5#post461554665
Five: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779496&pagenumber=5#post462014974
Six: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779496&pagenumber=5#post462111375
Seven: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779496&pagenumber=5#post462236478
Turn Eight: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779496&pagenumber=6#post462356345
Turn Nine: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779496&pagenumber=6#post462451759
Turn Ten: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779496&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post462589508
Turn Eleven: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779496&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post462678715
Turn Twelve & Thirteen: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779496&pagenumber=6#post462983036

This is the discussion and observation thread, if you aren't playing keep it in here people!

Hi, my name is dtkozl and I'm a Taurus. That means I love shooting nazis! The purpose of this thread will initally be to organize two teams, german and american, and then play a 45 minute meeting engagment where you tell me where to send your little pixeltruppen and then I upload a video to youtube and you see how it all goes horribly wrong. Maybe you run over a mine. Maybe a Panther tank blows you up. Maybe you punch Hitler in the face and win the war early. The only way to truely lose is not to play!

What is Combat Mission: Final Blitzkrieg?
You can click the above to go the game's webpage.

The short version is Combat Mission is a real time or turn based WW2 tactical simulation. Final Blitzkrieg is the 4th game in the series which focuses on the late war western theater. This includes the battle of the Bulge, the fight for the westwall, and the final drive into Germany culmunating in its surrender. It can simulate anything from a platoon to a battalion+, games can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours, and the battlefield can range from anywhere between 50mx50m to 2kmx2km.

This is my CM LP. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
I wanted to highlight some of the newish features this version of Combat Mission brings to the table. We will be fighting through the snow and participants will have the opportunity to take some of the new units added to the series for a spin.

Our game will consist of a meeting engagment where the two teams fight over objectives in the middle of the map. This will be a medium battle, 45 minutes in length, on a 800m x 800m map.

Things will be a little different this time. I have preselected a force for both sides in order to hurry things along and to make things a little more fair when it comes to new players trying out a leadership role. There will be no specifics on the sign up sheet other than "tank" or "platoon HQ" in order to add a little drama. There will be a chain of command and each player is expected to adhere to it but no one is going to be a literal nazi if you ignore your platoon leader's commands. This game will also take a while so if you are not in it for the long haul, don't sign up!

Once everything has been assigned I'll make the two new threads where each side will be introduced to its units and start issuing orders. This thread will become one of general discussion and observation in order to preserve operational security

:siren:Once units are assigned and orders start, no one involved in either side should peek at any but their own respective thread. Furthermore, outside observes should only post in this thread!:siren:

Here is the intro video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_VVJY9S8nE

And here is the link for signing up! Note there is one position for reserves but if more would like to volenteer that is great. Just make sure you are OK with only viewing that side's thread until the LP is over!

I'll reveal your specific units in respective faction threads as well as give and overview of the order system. After that it will be up to you and your CO!

Here are maps, the game buttons (which I will explain at a later date), and a grid for orders: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n2umxabm0yxrltb/AACzG1EdLPwTMnc2oyappbLHa?dl=0

Here are a few past cm lps just in case you need a better idea for that you are getting into!
http://archives.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678870
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3645658

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Well.

I still have all those Advanced Wars sprites on a roll20. :v:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I put myself in for a German tank, idk if that's the right way to do it.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Popete posted:

I put myself in for a German tank, idk if that's the right way to do it.

It is first come first serve, you did right.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I'll go down for an axis TD. Put it in the sheet.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
So obviously this is my first time so tell me what you think of the everything but especially the video. I know it is a little quiet I'll try and up the volume a bit next time.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I snagged the last Axis tank.

Lets go Sherman hunting! :hitler:

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Put me down for that Yankee assault tank

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Is there a terrain heights map i'm not seeing somewhere?

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Wanna be a yank Recon. And probably die horribly

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

How much experience would you say is needed to join? I've never played Combat Mission or done anything like this LP before, but I have some experience with tactics and real-time strategy games.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

chitoryu12 posted:

How much experience would you say is needed to join? I've never played Combat Mission or done anything like this LP before, but I have some experience with tactics and real-time strategy games.

I was in your position just moments ago, but look at me now! I'm a tank commander! :patriot:

I'm sure nothing will go wrong.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I've only ever played a demo and I'm 3 for 3! Each side needs some players who have the game to get screenshots, explain the unit structure, etc, but people get by just fine without the game.

Dkotzl, are the units 1/1, 2/3, etc. squads or platoons?

I am such a sucker for these things.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

All right, I'm grabbing an Allied tank. Hopefully I will prove Belton Cooper wrong!

I think I'll download a demo or something and play around a bit to get the feel of everything.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I believe that I signed up for the Allied towed arty.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Jaguars! posted:

I've only ever played a demo and I'm 3 for 3! Each side needs some players who have the game to get screenshots, explain the unit structure, etc, but people get by just fine without the game.

Dkotzl, are the units 1/1, 2/3, etc. squads or platoons?

I am such a sucker for these things.

Squads, so 1/1 is first platoon, first squad. Things are a little more intimate than previous lps but it is a smaller map.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Getting in on the ground floor of this rising LP star.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

dtkozl posted:

Squads, so 1/1 is first platoon, first squad. Things are a little more intimate than previous lps but it is a smaller map.

Thanks! I've got 1/2 at the moment, but if no one has volunteered for company command by tomorrow I might give myself a little promotion. After all, the tanks will do the heavy lifting :mil101:

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

chitoryu12 posted:

Hopefully I will prove Belton Cooper wrong!

I suspect anything you do other than immediately burst into flames in deployment will prove Belton Cooper more wrong.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
You know what I'm dumber than hell I forgot to put in the platoon commanders.

As for map contours I have not found a good way to do this yet. I thought those screenshots were alright but looking at them now they kinda suck.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

dtkozl posted:

You know what I'm dumber than hell I forgot to put in the platoon commanders.

As for map contours I have not found a good way to do this yet. I thought those screenshots were alright but looking at them now they kinda suck.

If you post the map from the editor with the elevation numbers on it, I can trace the contours over it, I've done it a couple of times in the past.

Also, I'm now commander 2plt.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Is the Allied battalion commander allowed to be an idiot if his underlings are competent? Because if not, I'll move to the Reserve.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Out of curiosity, what file types are the maps that come out of the editor?

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Hells yes, Im so ready for this. The series of posts in the grog thread the other day actually made me go back and do some more work on my campaign, gots tons of assets done but still lots of rules that need to be fleshed out.

Depending on the amount of players it might be better to give each commander a couple tanks or squads etc so people arnt immediately out of the game when their tank drives forward 5 meters and explodes.

Will you be running both sides or are we doing team leaders again?

Im on my phone right now so cant edit the spreadsheet, can someone put me down as a inf squad or platoon leader for the Germans?

*Edit - just watched the video and discovered how to say your username dtkozl! Also its fine, no need to be self concious. One thing I did note was there is a little bit of mic interference or something on the audio.

Also the thread has a poo poo post tag, can we get a mod to change this to strategy?

Abongination fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 10, 2016

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

It's been a while since I observed, so I think I'll join the peanut gallery for this one. :)

Or I'll join up to fill out one of the teams. But I'll give it a couple days.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
SIGNED THE gently caress UP!

I don't know how/what you have planned for recording and such but if you need someone to drive I can. Otherwise I'm happy to just send my little pixel men to die cold and alone without God's love.

e: video:

GET A NOISE GATE AND FIND OUT WHAT THAT SQUEALING IS

thatisall

ee: I mean to just head this off, what's your setup?

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Confidently signed up as German battalion commander.

I don't need a life anyway.

EDIT I am so excite

abelian fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 10, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Excited to watch another CM LP.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
gently caress it, put myself in for one of the Yankee platoons. Time for some glorious pixeltruppen deaths.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Jaguars! posted:

If you post the map from the editor with the elevation numbers on it, I can trace the contours over it, I've done it a couple of times in the past.

I wrote a Python script to automate this in our last game. It turned out pretty well, I think:

(Only after doing that did I notice that the editor puts dotted contour lines, but I still like mine better).

I'll try to adapt it to this map and see how it goes.

FrozenLiquidity
Jun 10, 2016
I will serve as cannon fodder under Oberstabsarzt abelian!

Should be a good time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm reading Grey Hunter's Soviets vs. Germans LP linked in the OP and it's absolutely glorious watching the Germans' amazing clusterfuck of tactics, along with the Soviets' slow realization at just how badly they overestimated their opponent.

Also the Aquatic T-34.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

could I request the axis SPAA?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I'll sign up for German recce, danke!

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Aaah, glad to see combat mission back. I'd love to join but with summer and vacations coming up, I'll be unavailable quite a bit. So I guess I'm a reserve then. Good luck, everyone.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Decided my previous contour algorithm did not produce satisfactory results, but google told me that matplotlib has a contour plot feature built in.

Still could be improved, but this should be a good start. One grid square is 8 meters x 8 meters. One small contour line represents one meter of elevation. There are thick contours every 5 meters.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Abongination posted:

*Edit - just watched the video and discovered how to say your username dtkozl! Also its fine, no need to be self concious. One thing I did note was there is a little bit of mic interference or something on the audio.

Also the thread has a poo poo post tag, can we get a mod to change this to strategy?

Oh I've been asked how to pronounce my username since about as long as I had it. When I first signed up for the forums in college (15 years ago, jesus) the name I had been using, reanimator, was taken. Dtkozl was my school login and I've been too lazy to change it since! I use like 3 names when I play games tho including reanimator so it is confusing for everyone.

Also I grew up in the us south and I have a polish last name so I've been asked how to pronounce my name for as long as I remember. I don't care what people call me anymore. Four years of college I was called Tony and you can see on my youtube that isn't close to my name. :)

Forgot about the tag lol! Maybe my second thread ever.

As for people asking IF they can play something, so long as you will stick until you are dead or the game is over I don't care what you play!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Actually put yourselves in the document, don't just post.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

abelian posted:

Decided my previous contour algorithm did not produce satisfactory results, but google told me that matplotlib has a contour plot feature built in.

Still could be improved, but this should be a good start. One grid square is 8 meters x 8 meters. One small contour line represents one meter of elevation. There are thick contours every 5 meters.

Awesome stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Signed up for an American Platoon HQ spot. I'm not experienced at all so if another spot would be better let me know and I'll switch.

• Locked thread