Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hi, I'm Bifauxnen, and I love Invisible Inc. I recently beat it on Expert Plus mode for the first time, and a couple friends wanted to see how I went about doing that. Thus, this LP. If you're not familiar with the game at all, I will be running through the tutorial first just to show off how things work. From there we'll be jumping straight into the hardest difficulty, so I might forget to explain a couple things along the way. But all you really need to know is it's a very fun tactics-style game about secret agents. And instead of getting into direct combat, your goal is to avoid detection and race against time before security twigs onto your operation. If you like games like XCOM, you should probably just go buy this game on Steam already so you can play it yourself. It's pretty cheap.

The standard game campaign has a plot that lasts for a set number of days. But I'll be playing Endless mode instead, which keeps throwing more missions at you indefinitely. I'm going to see if I can survive to Day 5 on Endless Plus difficulty to get the achievement.

What about the spoiler policy?

This thread is open season for spoilers of all types. I'd love to compare notes on different strategies, or people's favourite agents and items. There isn't a whole lot to spoil, to be honest. It's just great tactics action that's fun to play. There is a bit of plot to frame the campaign and give some depth to the futuristic dystopian setting, and an ending you get for beating campaign mode. But it's not like the story is the main point.

How often are you going to update?
I can't promise any regular schedule, but I'd roughly estimate 2 weeks between updates.

Will there be any thread participation?

Not at first. On my first run through I'm going to try really hard to make it all the way to Day 5 without screwing up, using my favorite starting team and making what I think are the best choices. Once I either succeed or fail miserably, I'll open it up for the thread to vote on my next starting setup, so I can show off different agents and strategies.

Tutorial and Team Setup

Mission #1 - Day 1, FTM Executive Terminals
Mission #2 - Day 1, FTM Chief Financial Suite
Mission #3 - Day 1, Plastech Cybernetics Lab

Day 2 Recap
Mission #4 - FTM Chief Financial Suite (revisited)
Mission #5 - FTM Executive Terminals (new and improved with extra goofups)

Bifauxnen fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Before I dive into playing on hard mode, let's take a quick moment to run through the tutorial and show how the game actually works. Once that's done, I'll get my Endless Plus starting team ready, so we can tackle a much harder mission in the next update.

Here is our hungover agent, Brian Decker. He drank too much and got nabbed by some corporate goons and thrown into tutorial prison. Let's help him break out! The blue areas show how far he can move this turn. He can only move 3 tiles right now, because he only has 3 AP. This is unusually slow, actually. Remember to drink responsibly.

Once you're done making all your moves and actions, you end the turn and it's the enemy's turn to go. In this tutorial mode though, most of the enemies won't be going anywhere.

Ah, he's feeling better already. Decker actually has 8 AP available now, but it says 5 AP above his head while I'm hovering over this tile near the door. It's showing how much AP he'll have left if we move him to that spot. Unlike XCOM where you need to split your move into 2 segments at most, you're free to make as many separate moves as you want so long as you have the AP for it.

Before we go barging through a door, we can spend 1 AP to peek through it and see what we're getting into.

Normally red security doors can't be opened unless you have a keycard. But for the purposes of the tutorial, it was kept locked only until we practiced the peek action. Decker discovered that the door was conveniently left unlocked after all, so it's now displayed in blue. Throughout this game, Red = stuff under enemy control. Blue = stuff we've hacked or unlocked.

See the red lines all over the floor where the guard is standing? That represents the area he's watching. This same thing happens with cameras. There are a couple yellow tiles as well behind the desk, which are safe "hidden" areas. These yellow tiles would be in the guard's range of sight, but some object is blocking his view.

The most solid red tiles are "watched" and will get you discovered. This is obviously very bad. Being spotted and then shot is how you lose the game. But the more shaded ones at the edges of his vision are just "noticed". Moving into one of these tiles will catch a guard's attention, but only out of the corner of their eye. They won't be able to spot you or shift into alarmed mode, but they will move to check out that spot on their turn.

Anyway, this guard is just standing around not going anywhere, so as long as we don't go walk right in front of him, we're in no danger. Sometimes guards will stay stationary like this, just keeping watch over an area. But usually they have a set patrol route that goes back and forth. In this case, standing still is more annoying cause he's watching our only way out of here. Decker needs to grab his weapon to do something about it.

Neural disrupters are the tried and true standard default weapon. Invisible Inc doesn't have any RNG-based combat to determine chances to hit or not. You can either zap a dude, or you can't. Basic neural disrupters will always knock out a guard in melee range no questions asked, unless they have protective armor.

We don't need to go directly behind him, we can go up to the side of him too. Guards have very little peripheral vision.

:science:

Now we can steal whatever money or items he was carrying. Once you raise your stats a bit, you can also steal from guards who aren't knocked out. This is a much better idea, cause you don't want to knock out guards unless you absolutely have to. Once guards wake up they're on alert and go into hunting mode, and become much more threatening. And if another guard spots their unconscious body in the meantime, it creates even more trouble.

The little "3" above this guard shows that he'll be knocked out for 3 turns. If we stand on top of him to keep him pinned, he'll stay at 3. But each turn when he's not pinned, he'll get closer to waking up. (On harder difficulties, the standard KO time is only for 2 turns instead of 3.)

We could just drag this guy along with us to make sure he stays knocked out. But dragging uses up far more AP than normal walking. We can only drag him 1 more tile right now.

Let's forget that idea and head for the door. I'm pretty sure this guy is never going to come after us anyway, cause this is just the tutorial. Boss lady gives us a friendly reminder to close doors behind us as we go. You don't want guards you left behind to catch a surprise glimpse of you when you least expect it.

This red thing here is a console.

By moving next to it, we can hijack it and use its computing power (PWR) for our own hacking purposes.

Peeking through the next door, there's an awful lot of red. Whatever could it be? Even once I've opened the door, I can't see the cause. The tutorial is prompting me to take another peek through the opened door.

There's the camera. Peeking through open doors gives a much better view of the room, and lets us spot things up in the corners like this. To move on, we'll want to hack the camera.

It's time for Incognita, our advanced quantum AI, to help us out.

This is Incognita mode. In this mode, any enemy devices you've discovered will appear, showing their number of protective firewalls. This camera has just 1 firewall, so it will be easy to hack. On the left is our list of programs. We've only got one program, the basic Lockpick 1.0. It spends 2 PWR to break 1 firewall.

Now the camera glows blue. It's no longer a threat, and as a nice bonus we can see whatever it's looking at. This helps cut down the fog of war.

Our next lesson is keeping to the side of doors. This message from the tutorial is slightly misleading. When you're just peeking through a closed door, it doesn't matter if you're standing to the side or in front of it. But if you're planning to open the door afterwards, you obviously don't want to be standing in full view.

Or else you might find a guard staring you right in the face, like this.

With this guard watching the door like a hawk, walking through would just get us shot. We need to get him to move.

Opening the door from the side caught the guard's attention, so now he'll come this way to check it out instead of staying put. But then what? He'll still be in the way, and coming right for us.

We could always just knock him out. Preparing an ambush makes you zap any guard that enters your melee range. This is basically like overwatch in XCOM, except for melee attacks.

Here he comes! Grab him!

Got him. Let's move on before he wakes up.

In the next section we come to another area with red on the floor, but we can't see what's causing it. Incognita has "detected danger". The fun thing about Expert Plus difficulty by the way, is this magic danger-sensing ability goes away. I'd have no advance warning that the area ahead was watched. This would also apply to that last room with the camera hiding in the corner.

The lesson here is to peek around corners too, not just through doors. It's just another camera up there, which we can quickly hack just like we did the last one.

Now we come up to an armoured guard. The standard neural disrupter has no armor-piercing ability. So we have no way to knock this guy out at all. We have to go around him instead. Luckily, his view is conveniently blocked by a table.

By moving carefully through the yellow "hidden" tiles, he won't suspect a thing.

Our final lesson is how to deal with guards that actually move. During the last enemy turn, I could hear this guy walking up ahead. There is a visual effect as well to show where the sound's coming from, but it's hard to catch in screenshots. It's not these white circles, this is just the tutorial showing you where to click to observe the guard's behavior.

Observing a guard costs 1 AP. The little white arrows on the ground show where the guard will move during their turn, unless they spot something along the way that changes their path. Like a poorly hidden agent, or a dead body, etc.

This guy's totally blocked off and can't even walk to our side of the room. He can't see us if we stay right behind this cover. He can see farther ahead, though.

To finish any mission, you need to bring your agents to the teleporter to escape. So this is mission accomplished. Time to crank up the difficulty!

Yes, we'll be meeting Internationale very soon. :buddy:

Invisible Inc has several difficulty levels to let you gradually get a feel for the game if you want. But there's a huge difference between the Expert and Expert Plus difficulties. The main difference is you lose the magic danger sense. You can only see the safe areas plotted out if you can see the guard or camera in question. It also hits you with extra penalties for knocking out guards, and reduces your starting PWR so you have a much tighter hacking budget. One other thing it doesn't mention here is it takes away your ability to melee attack any guards that have you in their gunsights. This means if you forgot to set an ambush, or you purposely didn't ambush cause you thought the guard would walk past you but you guessed wrong... you're in deep poo poo.

Endless Plus is the same difficulty as Expert Plus, but in endless mode with unlimited missions.

First things first, to start the game we need to pick a starting team of 2 agents. Each one has different starting stats, different starting equipment, and 1 totally unique ability. Decker and Internationale are the first 2 agents you start with when you've just bought the game. But that doesn't mean you have to unlock all the best ones later. Internationale is already the best!

Her ability, Wireless Emitter, detects devices in a radius around her. This lets her hack things like cameras earlier than other agents, who might be stuck behind a bottleneck unable to spot them. She can also wirelessly hijack consoles in that range, without having to walk right up next to them. In short, this adds up to a shitload of saved time, which is all the more valuable in Expert Plus or Endless Plus difficulty. I actually feel a bit guilty for relying on her so much, instead of varying up my starting team more. But I have a very hard task ahead of me, and I'm going to need the best.

The other agent I've selected is Gladstone. (aka Central, but Gladstone is her name and I think calling her Central sounds weird) She's the founder and head honcho of Invisible Inc, who was guiding us through the tutorial. Her ability grants you 5 PWR whenever an enemy daemon program gets activated. We didn't go over those yet in the tutorial, but this ability goes really well with Endless mode. Daemons will start appearing later on, and they start piling more and more daemons on you the longer you last. Her power bonus can really help you keep up. Apart from that, she also starts with a high Anarchy score. This lets her pickpocket guards for their money and items without having to knock them out, and gives a slight bonus to the money she can steal. Every credit counts, especially in the beginning.

Next up is choosing the starting programs for Incognita. In the tutorial we had just 1 program, Lockpick 1.0. This is the default starting option, but others get unlocked the more you play. The other default program, Energy Drip, passively generates 1 PWR for you every turn.

Basically, you start with 1 program that determines how you get PWR, and 1 program that determines how you spend PWR. These defaults are the most basic and predictable choices that are easy to use. But once you know what you're doing, they can seem weak and underpowered.

For power generation, I prefer the Seed program. Technically it never generates any PWR for you at all, so you need to be careful about dipping into your reserve. But it heavily discounts the cost of the first program you use each turn, basically granting you 1 free program per turn. (Unless it's a really expensive program, but then it still lets you use that pricey one for cheap) This program isn't good for hacking a bunch of stuff all at once. But if you can keep plugging along hacking a little bit each turn, this program gets a lot more done in the long run.

For my hacking program, I prefer Parasite. It works very differently to all the other lockpicking programs. It can't hack anything instantly, since its effect kicks in at the end of the turn. But once you've infected something with a Parasite, you don't need to spend any more power. It just keeps doing its job to break down a firewall every turn. Sometimes the delay can be a pain in the rear end, and there will definitely be times when you wish you could just hack something NOW NOW NOW. But as the firewalls get tougher and tougher in later missions, you'll be really glad to just slap on a Parasite for like 1 PWR and let it do its thing in the background. A standard lockpicking program would probably have you waiting around for more power anyway, once you've run out. In any case, it's not hard to find and buy another lockpicking program later to help complement Parasite. But if you don't start with Parasite, it's a lot harder to find it later when you want it.

I pretty much always start with Seed and Parasite now, since they work the best for my playing style. I'd like to experiment a bit more so I don't get stuck in a rut with them, so after this run I'll explain more about the other programs.

Now that we've got our party all ready, let's see what's up for the first mission.

The first mission is always the same: an executive terminal mission 12 hours away. We're going to steal a list of juicy corporate targets, and then our choices will open up.

Here's some more details on the mission, which you can review before you make your choice. This corporation we're raiding is called FTM. Each corporation has a different specialty and different things they're likely to throw at you, but it doesn't really matter yet on this first mission. It's just a simple vanilla one with basic guards.

The difficulty level is very important to check. The first mission is obviously difficulty level 1, but they'll soon throw harder levels into the mix. It's almost always a bad idea to choose a harder difficulty mission when you have something easier available to get yourself better prepped.

Invisible Inc doesn't have set maps. Each facility is procedurally generated, which keeps things exciting. In the next update, we'll go on to our first proper mission!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Which character is Gaspy?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Hooray! You finally did it!

In my own first run I tended to knock out way too many people. I think the knocking people out with a neural disruptor animation is just so great and did it every chance I got. Now you are saying that is a bad idea? I am sad.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

loving yes.

This will be good. I thought you'd forgotten

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hm, not sure who would be Gaspy, but Tithin is definitely Decker.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I have been drinking a lot recently...

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Pickled Tink posted:

Hooray! You finally did it!

In my own first run I tended to knock out way too many people. I think the knocking people out with a neural disruptor animation is just so great and did it every chance I got. Now you are saying that is a bad idea? I am sad.

It's just in expert plus that it gets seriously bad for you. Probably on expert too, but at least you don't get extra alarm penalties too when you knock em out there.

In any case, once you start getting far in endless mode the guard's armour will just win the arms race against you, where you often can't even knock them out if you wanted to. It's easier to avoid them entirely than to lug around some super rare nuclear-powered sniper rifle that only shoots once or twice per mission with +2 encumbrance or something.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Woo! I really enjoyed invisible inc but tended to get stuck in the lategame, glad to see it getting some love bif.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Pickled Tink posted:

Deeeeeeeepends.

In general, I am very pro-guardKOs, you remove a patrol and you get to loot his body. You can also do a naughty trick where you knock a guy out, pick him up, then move him on top of another knocked out guard. This keeps them both pinned at the cost of forcing an agent to stay in one place. If you can afford it, not a bad strategy! You get rid of two annoyances and get some breathing room for shenanigans.
Unconscious bodies can also make for an excellent distraction when it's time to peace out. Guards tend to not get far when they stop every three seconds to examine unconscious friends. Of course this makes your alarm level go up like loving whoah so you better get going while the going's good.
And of course don't do that to Omni Harbingers. I learned that the hard way :stonklol:

Also, it depends on the mission. Nanofarb, mainframe, vault? gently caress it, go nuts. CEO access hijack? Bad idea since you need to putz around for like 5 turns and you DO NOT want your alarm to rise too high before your hack finishes.

Of course if you're playing on Expert Plus the situation changes. +1 Alarm increase per knockout means zapping people willy nilly becomes infeasible.

ALARM LEVEL INCREASED. SECURITY UPGRADED. MORE ICE TO BREAK.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jun 10, 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Aw man, I love this game! It's great to see a skilled LP of it here - and one in the best mode, no less. I despise the final story missions and their massive difficulty spikes, but Endless Mode feels much, much fun and less gamestopping. Up until you panic and lose your agents, but that's just par for the course in this game!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

As someone who is no good at this game I look forward to you showing us how it's done!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

MysticalMachineGun posted:

As someone who is no good at this game I look forward to you showing us how it's done!

uhh Bif is playing Invisible Inc not Bloodborne

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Birdstrike posted:

uhh Bif is playing Invisible Inc not Bloodborne

Oh snap :nono:

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Man, I'm getting a crazy Shadowrun Returns vibe off this game. Both in gameplay and art. Was this made by the same people by any chance?

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Oh poo poo, I love this game.

I also knock out way, way too many guards in my playthroughs.

Krysmphoenix posted:

Man, I'm getting a crazy Shadowrun Returns vibe off this game. Both in gameplay and art. Was this made by the same people by any chance?

I don't think this is made by Hairbrained Studios but since XCOM came out here has been kind of a convergence on how to do a good turn based strategy, so lots of these games share similar cover mechanics and ap schemes.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Welcome back to Invisible Inc. Today we're going to be doing a proper mission breaking into an FTM facility. Our goal: to hack into their executive terminal to search their corporate directory, and get a list of new juicy targets.

Each type of mission has one primary objective that defines the character of it. Technically, you don't have to do it. You could just run for the exit as fast as possible and beam outta there to survive another day. I might try this when I'm getting close to Day 5. But you do really want to try and accomplish the mission, or you'll quickly fall behind by missing out on the major rewards.

The secondary objective is always the same: steal as much dough as you can while you're there. Each level has scattered safes around filled with credits or items. (oddly enough, I think Expert Plus gives you more items. It can be nice at times, but you risk becoming encumbered and a lot of times you'd be better off with just the money) Depending on how the level is laid out and how much the guards are getting in your way, it can get pretty risky trying to clear out a whole level. But I do aim to get all the safes all the time if possible, cause if you're having trouble with it that probably just means you're underpowered and you really need that money.

We've been beamed down into a small secluded room with only one exit, and a console.

This isn't exactly the best demonstration of Internationale's ability, since we have to walk past the console anyway. :v:

Here's a better demonstration. Internationale can already sense this nearby camera before opening or peeking through the door. But it's not lit up yet because it's inactive. This means it can't see us, but we can't hack it either. It will switch on later once the alarm level goes up higher.

In Expert Plus, I often open doors without peeking through them first. (Just make sure you're standing off to the side, obviously.) If it catches a guard's attention, at least I get a nice heads up straight away that there's a guard nearby. And so long as I got enough moves left, I can just scoot back into a hiding place.

The reason I do this is so I don't waste more AP peeking through every door twice. As I mentioned in the tutorial, peeking through an open door gives you a much better view than peeking through a closed door. Since the magic danger sense is gone in Expert Plus, I need to always peek through open doors and check for stuff hiding in the corners before I go barging into a room.

This room looks clear and it's got nice hiding places behind the statues. But for all we know, a guard could walk right into us during the enemy turn. So we'll stay back here behind the door where it's safe until we know what's going on. It's very unlikely that a guard will walk all the way through the room to come into this one in the span of one turn. But just on the microscopic chance that it does, we'll wait in ambush mode.

During the enemy turn, I heard a guy walking around to the NW, but he didn't come into the statue room. His patrol sounds like it's going straight past that northern door, and not looking down here.

Every time we finish a turn, the security level goes up by 1 point. As shown in the little tutorial graphic, every 5 points brings you to a new alarm level, where they bring in new security measures. So while you do want to be careful and stealthy, being too overly cautious can still bite you if you take too drat long to go anywhere.

Internationale can sense a console way over there and take its PWR already, which is very handy.

And she senses more stuff up here. A camera and safe, and another console. This camera is glowing red cause it's actually switched on, so we'll want to hack it ASAP.

Here's a nicer view of the Incognita screen. You can see that the Parasite program costs zero PWR. The first parasite is always free, then the power cost goes up if you have multiple parasites active and running at the same time. This makes the Seed program seem slightly redundant in the very beginning, but that doesn't really matter.

If I wanted to be really loving stingy, I'd hack just the camera this turn, then hack the safe next turn instead of spending 1 PWR for a second parasite. But that would be overdoing it. Dragging things out longer than necessary is a far bigger danger than wasting 1 point of PWR.

I moved up into the statue room to get a peek at the room ahead. I can't see the guard that was walking around through there. It looks like there's a long NE-SW route here that he's walking through, and he's not interested in this statue room at all. But I wait in ambush anyway just to keep up good habits. I don't want to knock out guards this early, but I want even less to get a nasty surprise.

During the enemy turn, I heard that guard walking around through here, but I couldn't tell exactly where his path went through the room. I should've left the door open maybe to catch a better look, instead of going off the sound and ripple effect.

I'm going to end this turn in the statue room again, until I can better scope out this guy's route. But in the meantime, Internationale can take a few steps into the room to see if she senses anything up ahead. She sensed another camera, safe and console.

We'll hack them both this turn. The little squiggly bug legs show that they have parasites on them now. By the way, I'm not going to keep doing a play-by-play of every single thing I hack each and every turn, unless there's some interesting choice involved. So just presume that I'm always hacking 1 or 2 things like this a turn when possible.

This time I remembered to leave the door open so I could better watch this guy.

During the enemy turn, the guard came to stand here just next to the door. He's conveniently facing away from it, to stare at the NE wall. Now that I can actually see him, I can spend 1 AP to observe him.

Note that we can see the NE room up ahead now. At the end of the enemy turn, the parasite kicked in and I can see through that camera. It's another statue room full of nice hiding spots, but also a lot of entrances. It'll be easy to hide in there once we know where the guards are going, but for now it's a bit worrying to not know which way they could be coming in.

But enough about that, let's have Gladstone pick this guy's pockets.

Her high anarchy score gave me a 10 credit bonus, and he's also holding a keycard! This will let me unlock any red security doors we come across.

Afterwards, Gladstone scoots out of sight behind this desk here. Now that I know exactly where this guard is walking, I can confidently move ahead and grab some hiding spots in this room.

Internationale remembers to close the door behind her before moving on, and she has just enough AP to go loot that safe, then hide next to Gladstone.

A closer view of where we're sitting now. You can also see the guard's status is "patrolling". You want to keep guards in this status. Not only do they stick to their predictable patrols, they aren't paying much attention so you can get away with a lot more poo poo.

That red ghost of the guard shows where we last had sight of him once he walked out of the room. Let's get out of here before he comes back.

I'm not too worried now about the NE room since I was able to watch it during the enemy turn, and no one came in. I didn't hear anyone else walking nearby, either.

Internationale will hide here behind this statue since she doesn't have enough AP to get to the other end of the room yet. Gladstone takes a peek through this door, and it looks like this way is a dead end.

Yep, totally empty. Just before the end of the turn, I opened the door so Gladstone could spend her last AP on a better peek. There's nothing in the corners, just a useless dead-end room.

Now that it's been 5 turns, we go up to Alarm Level 1! The inactive camera we saw earlier will switch on now, along with any other inactive cameras across the level.

By the way, I missed this in screenshots, but once I hacked that inactive camera it showed that SW area the guard was walking into. It was another dead-end room, empty except the console we already grabbed wirelessly. Just wanted to clear that up so you don't wonder for the rest of the update why I never went back there to check out that area.

I can't sense anything interesting yet as Internationale comes up to these doors. Instead I find another empty room with a bunch more doors in it.

The last door led to another empty-looking room, but it does have a red security door we can unlock with the keycard.

Fun fact: you can still peek through closed security doors even while they're locked. And we get a glance at our main objective: the executive terminal.

We need to hack it before we can access the files on it.

Meanwhile, Internationale can come scout around up here. Found a new camera, a safe to raid, and the other thing is a nanofab. Which is basically a shop.

I hack just the camera for now, cause I'm already hacking the terminal too. It'll take me a turn to get up to the nanofab anyway, and who knows what's going on there by the safe. I could've really splurged another 2 PWR to hack the safe, though. This was a bit stingy when I've got 14 PWR to spend. Oh well.

Gladstone still had a couple AP left, so I unlocked the door and got a better peek at the terminal room before I ended my turn.

Now that the terminal's been hacked, I need to walk up to it to download the files. (this goes for Internationale too) That dark area to the SW is probably just a deadend, but you can never be too paranoid.

Oh ho! Internationale went to check the last door over here, and opening it caught a guard's attention. I didn't think there was anyone around, cause I hadn't been hearing any steps nearby. Maybe someone's just standing at a stationary post in there.

I take a peek and yeah, looks like just a stationary guy whose job is to stare all the way down this long hallway. The "?" symbol by the door shows a point of interest. He's going to move from his post now to come investigate this space. It'll take him more than 1 turn to get all the way down here, though.

While I'm waiting around for that guy to satisfy his curiosity, I come back this way to check out the shop. I finish up the turn behind this desk here, so even if some new random guard walks in through the top door, I'll be fine.

I'm working on hacking that safe now, and the nanofab will be open next turn.

Gladstone's made it up to the terminal now, so it's time to grab the site list. (you just loot it like you would a safe)

I need to be careful now. Whenever you grab your main objective, some special countermeasure kicks into gear. For this type of mission, grabbing the site list sends an automated signal to change up the guard patterns. So that stationary guy I just ran into might not stay stationary any more. And the first guard pacing around near the start of the mission might decide to start strolling towards us instead. Basically, we just gotta watch out and learn the patterns all over again.

I bring Gladstone over here cause I'm more worried about the unexplored area to the south. The guard up north can't get this far yet.

Now the nanofab's unlocked, so Internationale can go shopping. She spotted another camera too, once she moved up next to it.

Nothing really grabs my eye, except maybe the buster chip. This item is handy and cheap, something I'd like to have in my kit to hack things faster than the Parasite program. But it's also pretty common. We'll probably just find one along the way soon enough, so I'll save my money to buy more stats instead.

I use some of my last AP to peek through this door, and spot a guard. Thankfully he's not coming my way, but that yellow "?" symbol over his head means he's in investigative mode. This is slightly more dangerous than patrol mode, because once he gets to whichever spot he wants to investigate he'll actually turn his head around to take a proper look.

You can see his path here. He's investigating an area we've never even been to, so it's not like anything we did got him curious. It must have been finding the site list, that prompted him to go investigate a random area instead of standing around here.

Some more ghostly red images to keep us updated on the guards we've spotted. Random investigation guy walked out of my peek view, but a new guard walked in to take his place. So this is where everyone's been hiding!

The red guard to the south is the one who came to check out the mysterious door opening. We can't see him down there, but we could hear him going “huh, guess it was nothing”.

Peeking through the open door revealed a laser wall, and a server terminal over on the east side. (this is another type of shop, that sells programs for Incognita) I also hacked a camera that gave me a view of that little room to the north. That thing up in the corner is a power supply, which powers the laser wall. Once we hack it, we can shut the lasers off so we got another possible escape route.

This area is pretty drat busy, so I'm going to have Internationale stay here by the nanofab for now to observe what's going on. Before she goes back to her hiding spot, I found another safe, which looks pretty big!

Let's get to hacking it for now in case we get a good chance to loot it.

Meanwhile, Gladstone gets to peek down here and sees it was a dead end after all. Now she can head back towards Internationale, and they can work together on clearing the place out.

Nanofabs make great hiding spots. You can just nestle in beside them while guards walk straight past you.

During the enemy turn, our old buddy from back at the start stopped patrolling in place. For his new behavior, he wants to come check out this area by Gladstone.

After 10 turns, we're at alarm level 2. We got to wait an extra turn for the parasites to finish working, cause everything on the whole level got a 1-firewall boost.

Internationale tries to get a better look at what's going on over there, crossing over from the nanofab room to the little power supply room. She spots yet another safe!

Can't do much about it on this turn, though. Gladstone is still moving this way, so maybe once she gets near the south end of the room, we can work something out.

On my next turn, I slip over here just to peek at what's behind this last door. We've finally found the exit! And we're only at level 2, so we got plenty of time to try and figure out a way to all those safes.

Satisfied with that discovery, I'll come back in here to stay hidden for this turn, and get to hacking that camera.

How am I going to raid all these safes, though? Gladstone's busy hiding between this wall and the statue, waiting to see what this guard was up to. He seems to have finished his investigation, just shy of where Gladstone was hiding so she didn't have to tase him. He just wanted to check out the terminal room, I guess.

I have Gladstone slip around to the side of this door, then close it, which attracts the attention of the guards up there. That should draw them away from Internationale, who can hopefully slip in behind them.

Then I'll hide over here behind this other statue and get some more distance, since I'm not sure what that nearby guard's gonna do next.

During the enemy turn, the guard in the terminal room started going back the way he came.

He's back in patrol mode now, just with a new path that goes back and forth to the executive terminal room. (even though no agents are near him, anyone can observe him from a distance when our cameras are watching him) He'll stay out of our way as long as we don't disturb him.

Now that I know that guard isn't going to come through the door to try and shoot me, I bring Gladstone back behind this statue again. Then I can get a good look straight down this hallway once the guards come to investigate this door.

Here comes a guard now. He looks around to the left and right, but can't see directly behind the statue. There's another guard behind him, who's walked down past the intersection. Internationale might be able to go behind him that way...

Except Guard #3 had to stop right in front of this door and block her off! :argh:

Gladstone is going to try and keep these guards' attention down here. This is a trick I like to call sprint/sneak. If you sprint, you gain 3 more AP for extra movement, but it makes noise that can attract guards. You can only toggle it if you're at full AP. However, if you sprint at the start of your turn, you can still change your mind and switch back to sneaking (and forfeit your bonus 3 AP) if you haven't moved more than 3 tiles, meaning you're still above max AP.

So basically, you can create a distraction noise where you're standing at the start of your turn, then sneak away somewhere else. I use it to keep this guard interested in this area instead of going back up north. It also attracts the southern guard, but he should just go back to his normal patrol after he checks out the noise.

I rob the new guy before I move on.

As for Internationale... screw it, I'm just gonna knock this guy out. I've got the place mapped now, everything's all around this same area, and I'm still at level 2. Once I loot the safes I can just hop over to the exit and get outta here. One agent can keep this guy pinned while the other gets looting.

Once he's knocked out, Internationale can steal his money too. He had 90 credits.

Now Internationale can cross all the way over here and hide behind the server terminal. Let's see if there's any good programs for sale!

Hmmm... Taurus can be handy to move nasty daemon programs off an item you absolutely have to hack. But it isn't nearly as good as the Hunter program that just straight-up kills daemons for only 1 more PWR. Taurus can be an okay substitute, but I don't think it's worth spending that much money on it at the start of the game. Burst isn't really my thing, either. It gives you an AP boost for one turn, but then a penalty while it's on cooldown. Handy in an emergency perhaps, but I'd rather save my money for more speed points so I don't need it.

Here's where Gladstone ended the turn. She'll go take over pinning that guy next turn, while Internationale's busy.

At Alarm Level 3, a new guard spawns.

Guards spawn in these red teleporters, which are totally inaccessible to us. There will always be a few scattered at different points around the level, and of course he had to pick the one that's right in my drat way next to the safes.

But let's stick to the plan. Gladstone went up to the knocked-out guard and gave him another zap. Now he's back to needing 2 turns to wake up instead of 1. And he'll stay that way as long as I stay on top of him to keep him pinned. Internationale goes to loot the closest safe.

Then she ducks right back into hiding by the terminal. There's no other good place to hide, with that guard up north and the new guard down south possibly converging on her location.

Gladstone stepped away from the KO'd guard for a sec to observe this guard's path, and save Internationale the AP. She's probably gonna need it. Look closely at the northern guard. You can see the red cone of sight where he's looking, but the tiles just to the left and right of him are safe. That gave me enough room to slip back out from the terminal hiding spot, then come around behind the pillar to loot this next safe.

There's just the big safe left now, up at the top of the room. But we got these 2 guards in the way, and another one at the south end who's probably on his way right back. It's probably a good thing after all I knocked out the 4th guy.

Okay, get back to pinning duty, Gladstone. I also have her drag him over one
tile, into a better hiding place.

Internationale's okay down here for now, since the guards are all heading back up that way.

On the next turn, I just held my ground. I tried having Gladstone help take a look for Internationale again, but she couldn't catch a glimpse of where the guards are right now. I'm pretty sure that one of them was going to end his turn by turning around to face back south though, so Internationale can't get through yet.

And on this turn, I got a better idea of what's going on. One guard is back to standing in place and watching down the hallway. The other is patrolling around here. I'll need Gladstone to make another distration.

Sprinting will get their attention.

Gladstone had to move pretty far to get them both to hear it, so she can't switch back to sneaking. But since that was as far as they could hear anyway, I can just run back the way I came to keep pinning that guy we knocked out.

This looks pretty good for giving Internationale a chance to move now, but take a look at the security level. We're about to hit Alarm Level 4...

Which spawns another guard. But thankfully this time the new guard was a bit out of our way.

Bleh, Internationale can't make it all the way up to the last safe unless she sprints. That would draw them right back to her and trap her in the corner. Unless...

Let's just go for it. Those 290 credits are mine! And both guards are suspicious.

But now Gladstone will sprint too, drawing them back towards her instead.

Unfortunately, Gladstone has to take the long way around cause the guards were watching the upper path. But that knocked-out guard should help keep their attention.

The plan worked. The guards didn't go towards Internationale at all.

Those 2 guards are on alert now, and we got an extra security level penalty for them finding a guard body.

Gladstone has also got to do some tricky maneuvering now, cause the new guard who spawned at Level 4 is coming up her way. But there's enough hidden spaces around the statues that I can weave my way to the door.

Actually going through the door, I had to cross through a “noticed” area, which will draw the guard this way. But I should be okay here for now.

Internationale hides up here on her way towards the exit. Those 2 guards will probably still be busy searching round that room though, since they're alarmed by finding their buddy knocked out.

Note the "!" sign where the body was. "?" tiles show a point of interest where a guard thinks something might be suspicious, but they're not alarmed yet. A "!" sign is something that sent them into full alarm mode. You really don't want to get people into alarmed mode until you're on the home stretch.

During the next turn, things were going nowhere and I hosed up by forgetting to put Internationale in ambush mode. I would've been okay ducking right behind a statue, but somehow I also hosed up getting the screenshots which is far less forgivable.

Good thing you're allowed 1 rewind per mission on Expert Plus difficulty. (or you could disable it entirely to make things even harder if you want) I'm gonna spend my rewind here to redo this bit properly. Sorry again for missing my great fuckup with screenshots, but technically it didn't ever happen now, so there. :colbert:

This hopefully ends the lesson on using rewinds!

This time I have Gladstone sprint, to draw this guard towards the little side section over here. Then she should be able to get away through the main hallway.

After observing him though, I notice he's going to walk really far this way, so I'm gonna have to knock him out to be safe. I prep an ambush.

Meanwhile, Internationale hides up here, instead of behind the statues, where she shouldn't be spotted by the hunting guards running all over the place. But just in case, I'll stay in ambush mode.

Gladstone zaps this guy when he walks here during his turn, and the Expert Plus knockout penalty will put me right to level 5.

At level 5 an enforcer beams in, and they mean business. They're always on alert from the moment they arrive.

Plus, one agent gets their location pinpointed. This isn't usually as scary as it sounds, though. It basically works like any other “point of interest”. A guard will make their way to that tile to look around before they do anything else. It can actually be a benefit sometimes to draw enemy attention away, assuming you can move away from where they pinpointed you.

If not, then okay, you're probably in trouble.

See, this guy who was running around the left hallway and getting in the way of our escape route is now coming down here, to check out where Gladstone was pinpointed.

Gladstone went around behind the pillar to get here behind him. Then while he's busy staring at that exclamation mark and guard body next turn, she'll be long gone.

We're getting close now, but this other guy's about to walk back this way to block off Gladstone's path.

During the enemy turn, the enforcer runs in, hunting for us. They have this ability to throw scanner balls to look for things hiding behind cover. If the scanner senses you, it becomes a point of interest that the enforcer will move to investigate next turn. He's well out of our way, though.

Gladstone can't move this way at all unless I knock this guy out, so Internationale takes care of him.

This should probably catch the attention of the nearby guard, who just woke up from his nap next to the nanofab.

So Internationale runs back behind this statue, and Gladstone also hides nearby. Too bad Gladstone's taser is still on cooldown for 1 turn, or she could just ambush that guy who woke up.

Wow, that sure is handy! This guy didn't actually spot his KO'd buddy yet. He's just standing around by the door and not even looking our way at all.

If Gladstone sprints, she can make it to the teleporter! :woop: Internationale was already close enough.

Let's blow this popsicle stand! We even avoided hitting Level 6, just barely.

Next update, I'll choose and embark on the next mission. See you then, comrades.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
As someone who did one quick playthrough of the campaign on an easier difficulty, seeing the complexity of even just this first mission is... worrying. :ohdear: Best of luck out there in the field, Bifauxnen!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah that right there would have been the perfect time to use the double pin trick. Gladstone wasn't doing anything useful, 2 alarm segments would have been a small price to pay and you'd avoid most of the guard tango.

Well done nevertheless though!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah that right there would have been the perfect time to use the double pin trick. Gladstone wasn't doing anything useful, 2 alarm segments would have been a small price to pay and you'd avoid most of the guard tango.

Well done nevertheless though!

For the double pin trick, do you have someone still holding the 2nd body up while you drag them over the 1st one? I remember getting to pin 2 guards once before sort of by accident, probably on an old Endless (standard) run where I was knocking people out willy-nilly. But I must have convinced myself it was a bug or something and forgot about it by the next time I was knocking out exactly 2 guys again.

In the later days of my Endless run that made it all the way to day 10, I was usually knocking out way more people than that. Gladstone would get these paralysis farms going... :getin:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh hell yes. This cropped up in the Sandcastle right about the time I was closing in on finishing my first Beginner run. I'm now neck deep in Experienced and Jesus Christ this thing is like Tension: The Video Game. I'm running Internationale and Olivia because the idea of PWR from KOs just seemed too good to pass up since KOs don't ruin things in Not Expert Plus. I gave her a Volt Disrupter and a KO+1 augment and whoa.

I am going to be periodically raving about this game. Especially when I manage to get away from one of those skin-of-your-teeth near miss clusterfucks that drags on for like 40 turns and winds up with you stim-burst-sprint-dragging an unconscious agent through a tight mess of Enforcer blind spots to the teleporter. I cannot believe the poo poo you come up with when the "gently caress it, reroll" option gets taken away.

Honestly the brevity of the campaign is perfect for ironmanning, especially combined with the near complete lack of RNG. Much better for it than Fire Emblem or Xcom or whatever.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Internationale is pretty great.

I haven't played this in a few months and I don't think Central was available last time I played. I used a lot of that Cyborg dude who could have tons and tons of implants.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Fedule posted:

Oh hell yes. This cropped up in the Sandcastle right about the time I was closing in on finishing my first Beginner run. I'm now neck deep in Experienced and Jesus Christ this thing is like Tension: The Video Game. I'm running Internationale and Olivia because the idea of PWR from KOs just seemed too good to pass up since KOs don't ruin things in Not Expert Plus. I gave her a Volt Disrupter and a KO+1 augment and whoa.

I am going to be periodically raving about this game. Especially when I manage to get away from one of those skin-of-your-teeth near miss clusterfucks that drags on for like 40 turns and winds up with you stim-burst-sprint-dragging an unconscious agent through a tight mess of Enforcer blind spots to the teleporter. I cannot believe the poo poo you come up with when the "gently caress it, reroll" option gets taken away.

Honestly the brevity of the campaign is perfect for ironmanning, especially combined with the near complete lack of RNG. Much better for it than Fire Emblem or Xcom or whatever.

I've only ever played ~one game~ on beginner, and the loving tension that those last few levels generate is something else. It's rare to have in a game.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

The only reason I was able to beat the last campaign mission the first time was cause I'd found a level 3 shock trap.

Shock traps are so great.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Seven guards in the first mission. I knew the hardest setting was tough, but I had no idea it was this bad.

I handily beat the final mission in the extended campaign on my first run through, but that was more because I knew what kind of poo poo to expect from the guards, and had procured (from enemy pockets) an unholy amount of decently good EMP's (Which let me bypass a fair few daemons). It was the first mission with the omni-dudes that very nearly eliminated me because I had fallen behind on my ability to knock out armoured targets.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
While this game is a motherfucker of the first order, sometimes it throws you a bone.

Like here:

Look at this loving map! It's silly! The teleporter is like right next to the objective and there was like one guy guarding that hallway! I mean okay it was an Omni Harbinger and I ate the alarm penalty for KOing him (which means apparently you can't EMP their consciousness sensors even though they're not listed as impervious like their heartbeat sensors are) but that's basically it! Olivia is sat there holding four different Neural Disruptors just smacking him in the head over and over again to farm power and Incognita is just hacking everything, just because (I was cocky and picked Rapier as my hacking program, confident that somewhere in the first three days I'd get either Lockpick 2, Dagger or Parasite but four secondary servers and a primary later, nope! Still just Rapier). Mika and Monster are just sat there observing the guards, who to their credit do sometimes poke around that lower corridor but only every other turn. Internationale is just parked on the objective, waiting for the jet to arrive so we can hit and run (I was sure there'd be a trap but there wasn't. I just pissed away like 15 straight turns and left without even touching the other two thirds of the map. There wasn't even anything of interest up there except one nanofab).

Also pictured: the PS4 port. It's pretty great except for one thing; the loving text is tiny! What the gently caress is with that poo poo! I sit about six feet away from a 32" 1080p screen and that poo poo is unreadable unless I concentrate and lean forward a bit. Also objectives with two lines (or anything with a gauge that fills up) tend to bug out, as shown.

Anyway the next mission made up for it by... well I might actually commentate over the 15-minute recording-grab I got off the PS4 because uhhh it sure was a thing.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I really liked that wait-for-the-jet mission in the DLC campaign. Sometimes I really dont feel like doing that campaign cause it's so much longer, but that mission was an interesting change of pace.

I also loved how the DLC campaign gives you a chance to put an extra program on Incognita. Being limited to only 5 has really been frustrating to me on endless mode. I get that they want you to have to make wise choices instead of loading up on all the best programs you see, but when 2 of the 5 are already going to be taken up with your power generation and lock picking, it doesn't really leave you much room to experiment. If I find a decent lock picking program to use alongside parasite, that's another slot down.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

For the double pin trick, do you have someone still holding the 2nd body up while you drag them over the 1st one? I remember getting to pin 2 guards once before sort of by accident, probably on an old Endless (standard) run where I was knocking people out willy-nilly. But I must have convinced myself it was a bug or something and forgot about it by the next time I was knocking out exactly 2 guys again.

In the later days of my Endless run that made it all the way to day 10, I was usually knocking out way more people than that. Gladstone would get these paralysis farms going... :getin:

Yep that's exactly it.
1) Knock out dude with one agent
2) Knock out a second dude who walks by (probably with another agent due to the 2 turn KO limit)
3) Have Agent One pick up the second dude's body
4) Get Agent One to stand on the first dude while still carrying the body
5) Both guards are now pinned as long as the agent stands there. (though make sure your agent is hidden because if anyone finds them, you're not getting out of there easily.)

I'm interested in what you do with Gladstone, she seemed pretty mediocre except for like Faust Brimstone gimmick runs. Though I'm a dirty loving casual who relies on Xu.

Fedule posted:

This exactly. The game even gives you A for effort if you lose.
Also, if the OP is okay with it, this guy shows that's it's totally possible to Expert Plus Ironman the campaign with a totally fresh file and the default team: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwX6zqCWXiA

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 12, 2016

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Fedule posted:

While this game is a motherfucker of the first order, sometimes it throws you a bone.

Like here:

The cost of rapier goes up with alarm levels, right? You might be in trouble if you're still using rapier heading in to the last mission :ohdear:

How's the ps4 control scheme?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

SSNeoman posted:

Yep that's exactly it.
1) Knock out dude with one agent
2) Knock out a second dude who walks by (probably with another agent due to the 2 turn KO limit)
3) Have Agent One pick up the second dude's body
4) Get Agent One to stand on the first dude while still carrying the body
5) Both guards are now pinned as long as the agent stands there. (though make sure your agent is hidden because if anyone finds them, you're not getting out of there easily.)

I'm interested in what you do with Gladstone, she seemed pretty mediocre except for like Faust Brimstone gimmick runs. Though I'm a dirty loving casual who relies on Xu.

This exactly. The game even gives you A for effort if you lose.
Also, if the OP is okay with it, this guy shows that's it's totally possible to Expert Plus Ironman the campaign with a totally fresh file and the default team: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwX6zqCWXiA

This guy is really good at the game. I watched him play a Xu/Nika run (his "season 3") and he just ran roughshod over the campaign.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I might not get to show off the real power of Gladstone since I forgot for a while that the Endless Plus achievement is only for Day 5, not Day 10. Around day 5 you start getting hit with automatic daemons that activate from the very start of the level. That's on top of the buttloads of daemons they just stick on every device in sight.

But her high anarchy is also nice to start off a run. It gives you a bit of bonus credits when you're starting out, and someone who can rob people who aren't knocked out. Plus, if you find any nice tools with an anarchy requirement, she can use them straight away. That leaves me free to focus on buying nothing but speed speed speed.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Cathode Raymond posted:

The cost of rapier goes up with alarm levels, right? You might be in trouble if you're still using rapier heading in to the last mission :ohdear:

How's the ps4 control scheme?

Yup! Like I said I was really hoping to at least have a basic Lockpick by now. I've still got one and a half days left. There's gotta be one around somewhere. Otherwise... Well, it's gonna be interesting.

PS4 controls are entirely adequate. You don't have handy hotkeys for peek and stuff but anything that has clickable icons (doors, guards, etc) can be scrolled to with the d-pad.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
At this time I would like all of you to know that Nika is presently equipped with a Flurry Gun and a Stim IV :getin:

E: holy poo poo I just realised if I give the Stim to Olivia she can repeatedly KO a guy over and over with her Volt Disrupter to farm 20 PWR in a turn

Fedule fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 12, 2016

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Internationale + Parasite is just a great combination (though Internationale with a lot of things is a great combination). See devices through the wall, Parasite them, and then by the time you actually get there they're hacked for you. A lot of the time it just straight up ignores the downside of Parasite. I usually start off running Internationale/Banks, which makes it less useful at time, but still very handy.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
BTW. I want to buy the soundtrack for this game but the only place I've found it for sale is on Steam, where they won't let me download it without buying the game which I'm not loving going to do because I already own the goddamn game jesus christ how hard can this be?! I just want to pay some money and download some goddamn music files! Why do I need to own the game for this to work?!

Is there a sane way to acquire the soundtrack?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Revenant Threshold posted:

Internationale + Parasite is just a great combination (though Internationale with a lot of things is a great combination). See devices through the wall, Parasite them, and then by the time you actually get there they're hacked for you. A lot of the time it just straight up ignores the downside of Parasite. I usually start off running Internationale/Banks, which makes it less useful at time, but still very handy.

I've been running parasite almost without exception since it came out during the beta. :cthulhu:

Admittedly I haven't really played much since the expansion.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Fedule posted:

BTW. I want to buy the soundtrack for this game but the only place I've found it for sale is on Steam, where they won't let me download it without buying the game which I'm not loving going to do because I already own the goddamn game jesus christ how hard can this be?! I just want to pay some money and download some goddamn music files! Why do I need to own the game for this to work?!

Is there a sane way to acquire the soundtrack?

Not that I know of - hell, I find getting soundtracks on Steam to be annoying enough already even if I didn't have your gripe about owning the game on another platform. :v:

That Olivia power-farming idea sounds fun, but doesn't the volt disruptor suck up as much power as you'd get back? I really need to try out more of the archive agents... so far Decker's the only one I've played with much, pairing him up with Draco for a first-mission bootstrap bloodbath.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Bifauxnen posted:

Not that I know of - hell, I find getting soundtracks on Steam to be annoying enough already even if I didn't have your gripe about owning the game on another platform. :v:

That Olivia power-farming idea sounds fun, but doesn't the volt disruptor suck up as much power as you'd get back? I really need to try out more of the archive agents... so far Decker's the only one I've played with much, pairing him up with Draco for a first-mission bootstrap bloodbath.

Yeah, it takes some doing to get the infinite setup rolling. You'll need max strength on Olivia for the +1 KO damage and at least one augment that grants another +1 (though of course you can farm faster with more copies). With one +1, you'll break even on any Volt Disruptor, and with each additional +1 you'll get a net gain in PWR. The sole catch is that you can't hit 20 PWR with this method because for some reason the PWR gain is applied before the PWR cost from the Volt Disruptor, so you're capped at 17 for a basic one or 15 for the mk III version.

Of course, up until that point Olivia is still a power farming... powerhouse. Just give her multiple disruptors and have her go to town. You always get the PWR bonus even if you're redundantly KO-ing an unconscious guard over and over again.

One thing I didn't know about Draco is that his temporary bonus effects aren't temporary stat-ups, they're assorted buffs like reduced item cooldown or extra AP or sometimes just money. Quite handy.

(And I found the soundtrack on iTunes... for about twice what it costs on Steam. The prices we pay for appreciating good things...)

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Fedule posted:

Yeah, it takes some doing to get the infinite setup rolling. You'll need max strength on Olivia for the +1 KO damage and at least one augment that grants another +1 (though of course you can farm faster with more copies). With one +1, you'll break even on any Volt Disruptor, and with each additional +1 you'll get a net gain in PWR. The sole catch is that you can't hit 20 PWR with this method because for some reason the PWR gain is applied before the PWR cost from the Volt Disruptor, so you're capped at 17 for a basic one or 15 for the mk III version.

Of course, up until that point Olivia is still a power farming... powerhouse. Just give her multiple disruptors and have her go to town. You always get the PWR bonus even if you're redundantly KO-ing an unconscious guard over and over again.

One thing I didn't know about Draco is that his temporary bonus effects aren't temporary stat-ups, they're assorted buffs like reduced item cooldown or extra AP or sometimes just money. Quite handy.

(And I found the soundtrack on iTunes... for about twice what it costs on Steam. The prices we pay for appreciating good things...)

could always check #gamemp3s, I mean yeah it may as well be warez but if all you care about is listening to videogame music, there's no place better imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Started a run on Expert Ironman (I have regrets already, I am nothing without my rewinds) on vanilla Invisible Inc (don't have cashbucks for DLC for now). I got a false start, but the second time was the charm.
Currently on Day 2 with Xu, IntNat and Prism (this will be interesting, I never used her before). I'm rocking Fusion and Parasite and Shopcat has been rather unkind to me thus far.

Standard Disruptors on Xu and Internationale (though IntNat has the Cooker rifle I bought in case poo poo happens) but Prism has Volt Disruptor II.
I also have a smoke grenade and a buster chip. I guess I'll go Keycard Mission -> Money Vault (hopefully) ->Cybernetics lab/Server Farm (haha dealing with Daemons with only 2 programs gently caress me :suicide:) ->Nanofab and then we'll see how it goes.

I also have another detention center mission, though I'm not sure I want another agent.

EDIT: Also, re:Nika Chat, here's my experience with Nika on Experienced:

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jun 13, 2016

• Locked thread