Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I should try and take my Expert run of Endless mode to day 20 just to see some of that stuff for the heck of it. I left off partway though Day 10 cause it was getting a bit same-y and I didn't think they were going to keep adding any notable new countermeasures. But I've still got the file sitting there.

botany posted:

Is there a reason this is not a video LP?

:lol: Funny you should ask, my first post in the Sandcastle did address this but was a bit whiney. Basically, I only started doing this LP cause I couldn't get any video working to stream or record for my friends. But Irfanview works great for screenshotting everything. I think this game could definitely work well as a video LP. I watched a couple videos so far from that channel someone linked earlier of the guy playing it Ironman, and it was fine to watch. But I sometimes take a lot longer to plan things out than he does, so even if I did get it working, it would probably need a lot more editing down.

btw, current status: I've survived 2 more missions, but it'll take a while to finish writing them up and doing the updates. I should have the next one up sometime during next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Bifauxnen posted:

:lol: Funny you should ask, my first post in the Sandcastle did address this but was a bit whiney. Basically, I only started doing this LP cause I couldn't get any video working to stream or record for my friends. But Irfanview works great for screenshotting everything. I think this game could definitely work well as a video LP. I watched a couple videos so far from that channel someone linked earlier of the guy playing it Ironman, and it was fine to watch. But I sometimes take a lot longer to plan things out than he does, so even if I did get it working, it would probably need a lot more editing down.

Hm, fair enough. In all honesty, I'm not going to be following the LP, in part because the resolution on the images is too small to easily read all the text, in part because I just don't like SSLPs. I also think part of the appeal in seeing somebody play a game like this is watching them weigh their options and coming to a decision, even if that takes longer. But that's just me, the rest of the thread seems to like it just fine!

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Well count me as one who got interested in the game from what I saw initially. Currently trying out a campaign run, loads of fun. Also, I was frustrated about the lack of vault cards, thought they were a random drop. Oops.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Keldulas posted:

Well count me as one who got interested in the game from what I saw initially. Currently trying out a campaign run, loads of fun. Also, I was frustrated about the lack of vault cards, thought they were a random drop. Oops.

Yeah the game does not explain them very well at all. And the random nature of the missions means you could potentially get screwed out of ever finding one.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah the game does not explain them very well at all. And the random nature of the missions means you could potentially get screwed out of ever finding one.

Yeah, I have played this game about 3 times, twice while it was in open beta, and once just a few weeks ago, and I didn't even know that vault cards existed, so there you go.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Finished my Expert run, after some abortive starts I settled on a team of Draco/Shalem 11. Ended up getting Nika/Internationale as my others, and yeah, Internationale's passive is definitely up there. Since she was my 4th, I ended up running her face along the walls in the start of missions to try to find hack targets.

Draco's passive allows for REALLY efficient leveling, since the cost is basically the charge pack for whatever gun you use. Basically requires a better gun if you want to level him early, so I combined him with Shalem so it'd be 200 cred per bullet rather than 400. Of course, the cost for like 4-5 level-ups ended up being free later on when I hacked some turrets. It was funny that Draco made it up to Shalem for basically stealing his gun early on by embarking on some ridiculous rescues in the late-game. Shalem in two different situations got shot and surrounded, and Draco with his 4 strength and the 6 AP when cloak and cloak with stim Augments extracted him while cloaked and dragging him 13 squares per round. It was hilarious to see him invisibly drag someone for longer distances than most people walk. I found that in the late-game I had to largely ghost missions anyways since the armor ramping got too high, especially with the daemons. But the money saved on upgrading Draco enabled me to basically max out everyone else.

But yeah I finished my run, would you guys recommend Expert Endless next or a campaign Expert Plus?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
All you need to max Draco is a lethal (K&o) laser barrier. Dump unconscious enforcers in there and turn it on. They'll respawn.

If you haven't played it yet, try the Expert Plus campaign or Time Attack mode. Endless just gets boring after you've maxed your agents.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Welcome back to Invisible Inc! Last time we stole a vault card from a financial executive, and this time we'll be going to a cybernetics lab hoping to put the card to some good use. Let's get prepped for the next mission.

Unfortunately, I'm just shy of the 500 credits I need to boost Gladstone's speed. This is really annoying, but I did get a lot of nice toys instead, including the Leash program.

Monst3r's got a lethal handgun for sale. Holds 3 bullets at a time, but no armor piercing. Even if I did want it, I couldn't afford it without selling off all my cool stuff. So that's a no.

I can't afford any more speed, but I can afford some more strength to help me carry all these items. Each strength upgrade lets you carry another item before you get encumbered. It can also improve your dragging speed. This stat boost goes to Internationale again, since the cloak and stim have a speed requirement so she's the one carrying the most toys.

I shuffled my items around so Gladstone's carrying the keycard, and she's also got the smoke grenade just in case. With that, we're ready to go.

Plastech's main gimmick is a special type of cybernetic guard, but they won't show up until the difficulty gets higher. So this should be another vanilla mission for now.

Off we go!

We've got a security door in the first room. Would've been nice to have Banks around, since her ability is to open these doors even without a card. But we can still peek through it.

We get a nice view of a big room over here with 2 guards, and a power supply that must control some laser wall somewhere.

Internationale can sense a camera over here, so we probably won't be able to get far this turn.

I use up Gladstone's AP to observe these guards in the meantime, and get a better idea of their patterns.

I hacked the camera and the power supply, but not the other thing. That other thing is a console database, which reveals the location of all consoles across the map. It isn't that useful when Internationale can already sense them at a distance. But it might help give us a sense of the shape of the whole level, when we've found it so early. So I might hack it next turn.

I only just noticed another door leading into that big room, which makes the red door kind of moot.

This side of the room ended up being a dead end, but I did sense a nanofab that I can get to hacking.

Gladstone gets ready just behind the door. There's nowhere good to hide in the room up ahead, so she'll have to wait here for now.

I hack the other camera, and also the nanofab. The console database can still wait.

Since I hacked the power supply, I can see where the laser wall used to be. It's switched off now, but I'll need to be careful approaching that area. During the enemy turn, I heard another guard walking around there. That's in addition to the guy you can see in this screenshot.

This could get awkward. There's nowhere to hide around here. Gladstone could cross through the room behind this guard, but then he's just going to walk right towards her so I'll need a good hiding place once I get there. Going into the new room blind, I don't know if that'll happen. Plus I might run smack into the other guard I heard pacing around in there.

The solution is to hold off and wait for Internationale to scope it out first. She has higher speed, and also the stim which can grant her 4 more AP if she needs it. Not to mention the cloak. She can definitely handle this.

Some technician walked in, he's the guy with the question mark over his head. The DLC adds some special characters like this for potential bonus rewards. There's no way I can easily get to him right now though.

That technician must've been the other person I heard walking around in this room. I can only see the one guard in here right now.

This is the tactical view, which I hadn't bothered showing off before. It strips away most of the graphics so you can more easily see which tiles are safe, noticed, and watched, and where there are cover objects. (but sometimes you need to be a bit careful about that last one) Internationale could just make it behind that cover there, and probably be okay when the guard walks back.

But I'll use the stim instead, to get a bit further in. This gives me 4 more AP, and it has a long cooldown of 9 turns.

Now I can go here right behind the laser wall, and check out this side room. I couldn't see much when I peeked in, so I'll just wait in ambush in case some guard was hiding in here.

We've found a whole bunch of safes now! I'll have the parasites working through 1-2 of them each turn.

Gladstone won't move on yet, she just observes what these guys are up to for now.

Now that this guard has walked back, I can draw him away with some noise.

He'll come looking this way instead of his usual patrol.

Now I'll hide out in this room. This spot would've been okay anyway, since he'd just walk past me. But then he'd be hanging around in my way next turn.

Internationale checks out the side room now. Just one safe, and a guard entrance.

I loot the safe, and get ready to grab these ones next in the following turns.

We're at Alarm Level 1 now, so here come the rest of the cameras. There's two of them in the same room, watching that one safe in the NW. Seems like a lot of trouble to go to when there's 4 safes down here with no camera. :v:

Internationale just looted 2 of them, and next turn that one in the corner will be open.

I'll let Gladstone look after opening last safe. Internationale can focus on investigating this other door down here instead.

Ooh, that door led to the cyberlab! And even better, there's a vault door! Bonus machines! :dance:

We need to hack the machines before we can use them.

Gladstone ended up not moving much cause that guard was looking back this way, but that's all right. We'll be hanging around here a while, while we get all the machines hacked.

I thought this big object just in front of the door would be blocking the way, but this guard still has a view of the door itself. When I open it, it draws his attention over here.

So, I just slip through the other door to get behind him. Gladstone's having a slightly harder time making her way around here with her lower speed, but there's no big rush right now.

This first machine is under our control now, so I can move up to it and have a look at what augment it's got.

Nice, Net Downlink is a wonderful augment! It grants you a bonus 2 AP every time you hack something. (up to 6 AP max per turn) I definitely want Internationale to get this.

But just to play it by the books, I'm going to wait and check the other machines first, and get a plan of attack on how I want to use them. Internationale isn't holding the vault card, so she can't get the door open yet. But she can sense the machines behind it to get started on hacking them.

A view of the level so far. Despite that annoying big room with no cover being a nasty roadblock, things are looking pretty good right now. We've already found the cyber lab and a bunch of safes, so once we clear it all out, all that's left is to head up north to the unexplored area. The exit's got to be up that way. So we can probably just zap our way through it if need be.

I was going to have Gladstone sprint/sneak to lure this guy around in a circle, but it turns out she can just make it through the door into the cyberlab room if she sprints the whole way.

Let's go for it. Looks like the guard isn't going to come all the way over here. But even if he did, we can easily hide behind all the machines in here.

The 2nd machine is open now, let's see what else we got.

Piercing Scanner gives us extra armor piercing when using ranged weapons. I don't even have any good ranged weapons yet. I'll pass on this one for now.

If you don't like the augment a machine has on offer, you can use it to grant you an empty augment socket instead. This procedure will knock you out for 2 turns while it's getting installed. A minor inconvenience for what you get in return. I like to be really picky about the augments I get on cyberlab missions, cause you can always find more augments later. But you can't use them unless you've got the slots to hold them.

I'm just going to go ahead and do that now. Internationale takes a nice little nap behind the machine.

Oh right, the countermeasure.

In cyberlab missions, the countermeasure kicks in once you actually use one of the machines. It randomly reboots a few devices that you've already hacked. I usually forget this even happens, cause it's more of a mild annoyance. I just re-hack whatever it switched on while I'm busy getting augmented.

Now that Gladstone's made it here, she can use the vault card to open this door.

We'll have to wait another turn to find out what's on those machines, cause the firewalls just got boosted.

Gladstone's in position now to use them next turn.

Internationale's also woken up from her nap. Let's check out the next machine!

Hmm, Subdermal Cloak. It has a really nice effect, it cloaks you anytime you use a stim. And I do love using stims. But note the catch - it consumes a whole 5 PWR when used! I'm not going to get this augment, because I plan to use my stims to avoid the need for cloaking.

Now that I've granted Internationale a new slot, I stop stuffing around and give her the Net Downlink augment. It's really good, and totally worth passing up the empty slot. She still has one empty slot saved for later.

Time to check out the last machine.

Reactive Moyomer reduces your starting AP by 2, but then increases it by 1 each time the alarm level rises. I haven't actually tried this out before, I'm going to give it a go cause it looks interesting.

It'll go on Gladstone, not Internationale. I want Internationale to stay as fast as possible at the start so she can scout the map with her ability. Gladstone can lag behind while she's doing that, but then this augment can help her catch up to speed while we're making our escape.

Then I'll use the last machine to grant Gladstone an extra slot, so she also has a spare space for later.

Naptime!

Internationale gets ready to leave the cyberlab, but the guard noticed when I opened the door.

The tile in front of the door is solid red, too. Fully watched.

I don't want to keep sitting around here while this guy takes a leisurely look around. Let's use the cloak to slip past the danger zone.

The level 1 cloak is very weak, and wears off if you move more than 4 tiles. But that's all I need.

By now my stim has just cooled down again, so I can use it to get into a proper hiding spot.

Oh yeah, I still had this safe to grab over here.

And I'd like to grab that last one up there. That camera and safe should be hacked again by the time I can make it into that room.

Gladstone just woke up, but she's stuck waiting behind the vault door until this guy moves out of the way.

Still waiting. The tile just ahead of the door is watched, because that pit in the floor doesn't provide any cover. This is something to really watch out for if you rely heavily on the tactical view. Impassable tiles like this pit will look like cover objects, even when they're not. It's a moot point now since you can see the place I want to walk to is already watched, but it could trip you up if you're picking out a supposedly safe hiding spot for later.

Internationale cleared out this last safe.

And I can finally start hacking the stuff up this way. Can't wait to see if there's anything nice at the shop.

This is pretty good. The new guard who came in at Alarm Level 3 is in the little side room.

He might momentarily get in Gladstone's way for now, but he'll be out of the way as we make our escape.

I just had her run up here, cause they're too far to hear her sprinting.

Speedy Internationale has no problems making it through the big wide open room now.. Her new augment gave her some bonus AP this turn.

The camera up there is pretty well blocked off, so I can make good progress even before it's hacked.

This guard is just pacing back and forth along the north side of the room. I'll go shopping while we wait for Gladstone to catch up.

Econ chips seem fun, they let you pull money out of a console instead of power. I've never had a good chance to really try them out properly. Unfortunately, I'm still not going to try one yet cause it's too expensive.

A Neural Disrupter II would be nice. It's an upgrade from the standard weapon to add a bit of Armor Piercing.

But here's what I really want. Torque Injectors. It's an augment that reduces all your item cooldowns by 1 turn, and at just 300 credits it's ridiculously cheap. I'll give it to Gladstone, cause my overall game plan is to have her on backup with anarchy-based items while Internationale focuses on running around as fast as possible. It would be nice to get another one of these for Internationale later, though. She can always use reduced cooldowns too, on her stims and cloaks. It's a great augment to give to pretty much anybody, really.

Speaking of anarchy-based items, I might also buy this shock trap. You use these to put a trap on a door, which knocks out anyone who opens it. The best part is, it ignores armor completely. I like to have some of these in my kit to deal with heavily armored guards, and then I don't need to try too hard to win the armor-piercing arms race.

I'll have Gladstone buy that stuff later when she gets here.

It might take her a while, though. When she got that moyomer thing installed, it reduced her AP by 2. Even though we're at Alarm Level 3 now, she isn't getting ahead on AP yet cause she's only got +1 AP so far to start compensating. She didn't get any bonus for hitting Alarm Levels 1 and 2, cause she didn't have the augment installed yet.

Just plugging along here, moving up to the next bit of cover. drat, it looks busy up there.

There's still a bit left up here for Internationale to explore in the meantime. I peeked over here to see where the guard keeps pacing to, but there's nothing of interest.

Still a whole lot of activity in that big room. The level 3 guard has decided to hang out with all his buds instead of staying down there by the side room and cyberlab. Internationale might have to help Gladstone out.

But first I looked up here to confirm where the exit was, and ran smack into another guard. There's still another side room over on the left though, maybe I can go hide in there.

Oh, this room is where that technician went. I forgot all about him. If we'd intercepted him before he got here, we could have got some free program or something, but now it's too late so we missed out. But chasing after him through that big room before we got the augments could have really derailed the mission. I think it was the right choice to just ignore him.

Back to Gladstone's gradual escape. Let's keep this guard busy down here for a while.

He'll come look around this table, and I'll switch back to sneaking so I can move up here and pick his pockets.

He's got a keycard, which I'll grab just in case.

That guard Internationale found near the exit ended up following her this way, so he got ambushed.

The extra alarm from his heart monitor pushes us up to Level 4.

The new guard is off on the right side of this screen, visible in red. With my luck, he's probably going to go join the party in the big room.

This area by the door was noticed, but I can go hide in the side room with the safe for now.

Then maybe next turn I can go hide up behind the power supply. We'll see what happens.

The guard I knocked out has a charge pack. I'll probably just sell it off for extra credits, but it's nice to have just in case.

Okay, here's where we're at now. The new guard's still over in his side room, but he's going to walk right in here next turn. Plus these other 2 guys are hanging out right next to me. Right now Gladstone can't really do anything cause the space outside is fully watched. But that should change next turn.

She'll just sit tight for now and wait for her chance.

I was dragging the guard down this way for the hell of it, in case I wanted to try and bring Internationale back to help Gladstone after all. But then I remembered I hadn't robbed this guy yet. So I thought I'd do that while he's standing right here next to the door.

But opening the door next to him caught his attention, so after I robbed him I ran back to hide in the compile room. While dragging the guard body. It's nice to have a lot of AP.

Gladstone's got to move from this side room, it's not so safe anymore. Going through this guy's noticed zone will keep him looking at this door next turn.

And this guy will walk straight past her while she hides beside this door.

During the next turn, I came and hid over here instead. I'm really stuffing around here, but even if I used the smoke grenade, it's a lot of ground to cover to make it up to that north door. I'm just going to wait for Level 5 so Gladstone will get another AP from her moyomer thingo, and then we'll see what we can do. I'll only use the grenade if I actually get in trouble.

Gladstone shifted over here again, trying to draw the guard's attention towards the SE door with a sprint/sneak.

Internationale's still chilling up here with this guy.

This time the distraction finally did a decent job. I've got 2 guards down there checking out that area.

Level 5 will give Gladstone a much needed AP boost, and the enforcer came in near the cyberlab, nicely out of the way.

This pinpointing should actually help to distract the guards even more. Now I can finally make some progress.

I can bring Gladstone up here behind the power supply, and next turn I think she can make it through the top door.

This guy surprised me a bit by staying in the same place. Going to level 5 got everyone into hunting mode, which changes their behavior. He stood in place instead of patrolling, and actually turned his head around to get a proper look at things. But everyone else is out of the way now, so I'll just zap him and keep running.

I made it to the nanofab now! Gladstone grabbed herself the torque injector augment, and dropped the keycard to carry the shock trap.

We're on the home stretch.

Since the guards are hunting now, I'm going to stay safe and zap this other guy when he comes in here. I had to move Internationale over a bit, cause you can't keep a guard pinned and attack someone else at the same time.

Gladstone's almost there.

That zap kicks us up to Level 6. So 2 new enforcers come in, both agent locations pinpointed, yadda yadda yadda...

Who cares when we're right by the teleporter?

That went pretty well. Waiting around for Gladstone was a drag, but next mission she'll have that augment installed from the very start so it'll pay off faster.

We've crossed over into Day 2 now, so next update we'll see some new mission choices pop up. The difficulty will also be increased. I'll see about doing little mini-updates from now on in between missions, to go over the preparations and recap how much we've got in credits and items.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Lucky duck. Net Downlink is one of the best augments in the game since you always wanna be hacking something.

ALARM LEVEL 6. ELITE ENFORCERS INBOUND. THEY WILL BE YOUR DEATH.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

SSNeoman posted:

ALARM LEVEL 6. ELITE ENFORCERS INBOUND. THEY WILL BE YOUR DEATH.

It took me a couple playthroughs to notice but Incognita's dialogues for these change during the OMNI missions when she's on low power.

"Additional guard patrols. Kill them! Kill them all!"

I didn't notice the first few times because I was busy saying "gently caress" repeatedly.

Also; twice ever have I come across the Technicians in a level. Both times the resulting program, that I went out of my way to tail a guy and wait around seven loving turns for, was Overdrive (all programs PWR cost +1, cooldown -2 (min 1)), and both times I wasn't really using many programs with cooldowns.

Overdrive can be nifty with Ping because you can use it every two turns now, but unless you're also packing a bunch of programs like Dagger it just makes everything needlessly more expensive. And if you're using Fusion for PWR, loving forget it.

I've developed a favourite program roster that I strive towards; Seed, Parasite (thoughts on 2.0?), Ping, Wisp and Lockpick 2.0, and some other icebreaker after the expansion hits (I like Hammer) or Hunter or something. Or Bless (probably Bless when I try endless).

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Fedule posted:

It took me a couple playthroughs to notice but Incognita's dialogues for these change during the OMNI missions when she's on low power.

"Additional guard patrols. Kill them! Kill them all!"
I've developed a favourite program roster that I strive towards; Seed, Parasite (thoughts on 2.0?), Ping, Wisp and Lockpick 2.0, and some other icebreaker after the expansion hits (I like Hammer) or Hunter or something. Or Bless (probably Bless when I try endless).

I love Parasite 2.0 and will definitely make the upgrade if I get the opportunity. The extra cost often doesn't matter when I'm using Seed, unless I'm hacking more than 1 thing per turn. But by the time I have a full program roster and have to worry about ditching the old version to make room, the extra hacking speed is more than worth it.

Ping and Wisp and Hunter are my other favourites too, I'd just add Leash to your list there because it is so drat handy. Scout further with the camera and pulse drones for 3 whole turns! Control Obake or Akuma drones for twice as long instead of just the 1 turn! :syoon: I almost never get to experiment anymore with new and interesting combinations of programs though, cause I'm always juggling around which ones I want the most from my top shelf list.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Finished my Expert Plus run and jesus CHRIST, the original Dr Xu is broken. Spammable EMP is unfair. Starting setup, Dr Xu, Archive Banks, Seed, Mercenary. Early game, opening the majority of safes without needing to hack means that the 3 free hacks is more than enough, so you can convert the consoles into cash as much as the cooldown is up. Level up hacking and suddenly the consoles give more money for missions than the safes do. The biggest problems with this start is Dr Xu's 7 AP and not having a 2nd Neural Disruptor to work with, but it basically ceases to matter when you are just swimming in credits.

Mid-late game, EMP off heart monitors then just shoot the guard to remove inconvenient guards. Works on most of the barrier shields too. I got Draco as my 4th, didn't actually want him, but he still maxed out first due to the consequence-free murder I could do :/.

Tried out Leash when you recommended it, yeah it basically makes those drone missions hilariously easy.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
I've been playing noir jazz while reading this and I gotta tell ya, Bifauxnen, I'm sold.

Just got Invisible Inc. for a song on the Steam Sale.
($6.79)

Thanks for showing off your skillful tactics, yo.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I've been playing II for the first time since the expansion and man it feels substantially harder.

I got my team flattened in the second expansion mission to a ludicrously unforgiving opening layout. :negative:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Thanks for the heads up about it being on sale. Even if you don't spring for the DLC the main game is already great for the price. And it might be worthwhile to get used to the basic game before you add all the DLC stuff and make it even more complicated.

For anyone debating on whether to get it or not, the DLC adds a couple new agents, new items and programs and augments to choose from, just basically a lot more variation to the game. And it offers the option to play a much longer campaign mode with some new special plot missions along the way.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I've played the game approximately once on Easy all the way through the campaign after buying it at launch on a whim. I plan on picking up the DLC and getting into it while I'm on a business trip in a few weeks, between this thread and the ironman expert+ videos someone posted a bit back, I'm getting an itch to STICK IT TO THE MAN.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

dscruffy1 posted:

I've played the game approximately once on Easy all the way through the campaign after buying it at launch on a whim. I plan on picking up the DLC and getting into it while I'm on a business trip in a few weeks, between this thread and the ironman expert+ videos someone posted a bit back, I'm getting an itch to STICK IT TO THE MAN.

If you're thinking of trying it again, play it on Expert with 99 Rewinds and try not to use any. Easy mode puts a lotta training wheels on the game, namely the Simplified Guard Patrol option and credit rain erryday. Expert will give you some good habits and the rewinds will help you correct any mistakes. I'm not super into roguelikes cause I always find starting from scratch to be super discouraging, and the rewinds help a lot to alleviate that.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Morning goons, we just had an election yesterday in Australia, and I still have no clue who actually won it but here's an Invisible Inc avatar I made if anyone wants it:

I'm probably going to get the next update up on Friday. Thats when I normally have a few hours of downtime to crank them out.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

FASFJA;SKDFJASDKLFJ

I forgot all about that avatar. Sorry Bif :(

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

No worries, it was fun to make and you might still need it if Auspol gets hit again. :cheeky:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
[_] Remain a subsidiary of Kelfried & Odin
[] Leave Kelfried & Odin

Fenbab
Mar 19, 2008

Good times.
Well, if I ever needed an excuse to finally try this game here it is. Money for the money gods, I guess...

Now; let's go gently caress up some corporate espionage!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is there a way to remove/sell Incognita programs other than finding another warez store in-mission? I grabbed the "- power cost, + cooldown" program forgetting that it makes Parasite once per turn, didn't need to hack anything else until the next mission, and that was made a LOT harder by my folly.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I'm pretty sure there isn't another way. Which does sound like a pain in the rear end for that program!

It would be nice to at least get the option to abandon programs at will, even if you can't get compensated for them at the shop.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I like Invisible Inc, and I think the design is overall great, but it kind of has a ton of weird little foibles like that. Another weird quirk is the inability to reload a gun while on the jet. I know it doesn't actually matter persay, but it's still odd.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I thought I had broken this game over my knee, but Time Attack mode has taught me new respect. Three failed runs in a row so far. One of them was at the final mission, when there was a bottle-neck flooded with guards, and I didn't manage to get enough AP weapons beforehand.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Random thing, Dr Xu gets incredibly goofy when you give him Stim IVs. He's already insanely good what with having the only silent method of doing an EMP and the only way to EMP without ending turn. It doesn't have a cooldown, so Stim IV means you can spam it. Oh hey, Magnetic Reinforcement, that just means i have to zap it 4 times. Oh hay, 4 chests in this room, yoink got all of them in the same turn.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Man, I've had two goes at the second difficulty level that have hit walls from a heavy security bot/heavy guard/whatever standing stationary in a small closet between me and the objective/extraction when I don't have the time/armor piercing for finesse. My latest one hit after a WONDERFUL prisoner extraction level that involved three unconscious guards in a room with more on the way, turning a turret back on and hacking it for a distraction, then on my sprint out of dodge newly-rescued Shalem 11 stopped at a nano-forge to buy a gun that let him tranq a guy with three armor who was about to shoot Internationale, while Prism tased the other person about to shoot Internationale. Sadly the level after that was Security-Con 2074, and all the guys who I spawned just from taking time to explore what turned out to be the wrong half of the complex had set up Gunman's Alley signing autographs and such right where I needed to be. I think I made it to the food court before someone wandered the wrong way and everything cascaded.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Update may be slightly delayed due to great Facebook drama and Pokemon escapism.

But I'm going to do a mini-update soon just to sum up all our items and junk to start Day 2.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Time Attack mode done. I decided to do it without the DLC content, to get it done in fewer missions. Here's my report:

After failing three times, with various constellations of my lesser used agents and programs, I got back to power-gaming on my fourth attempt. I took Central, as well as Faust/Brimstone. I settled on that because I wanted to give Archive Prism another try, and her special ability is very power-hungry. It's also pretty drat awesome to go strolling through rooms full of guards and cameras without having a care. That said, it wasn't all smooth sailing. Prism went down on mission 3 or so, which lead to a string of missions of solo Central, which went surprisingly well. I picked up a great selection of implants for her - Predictive Brawling, Torque Injectors and a Penetration Scanner to top it off. At the end, she had every ability at max, except hacking, since I had all the power I needed. Close to the end, I did manage to find a detention mission and sprung Prism again, with the help of a cloak mk3.

Hacking was interesting; Brimstone is more useful for its passive than as an actual breaker, but I also found Wrench 5 early - which didn't do much good, until I also picked up Wildfire, which allowed me to raise the firewalls until my Wrench could break them. And in the final stages, it definitely made life a lot easier. The last program I picked up was Ping, which I didn't use much, but which also was a critical help in keeping the guards off of Monst3r during the final hack. The last level was fairly easy this time, with the two rooms being close to each other. Between Prism's holo-projector and Central's cloak, my main agents could move through the level fairly easily, it only took some patience to get Monst3r to the hack room.

Still love the game, but I think it's finally time to give it a rest, now that I've got all the achievements. But Klei is definitely a developer to watch.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Klei is the also the developer of Shank, Mark of the Ninja, and Don't Starve, I think they've long since earned keeping an eye on.

Am I the only one who can't seem to beat the first mission of the dlc? It always spawns armored guards patrolling the rooms with the control switches.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I haven't played Shank, and Don't Starve doesn't really look like my thing, but Mark of the Ninja was also excellent.

Those missions are still very randomized, but by day 3, you really should have some way to deal with or distract armored guards.

Also, has anyone playing with the DLC ever found a courier as a side objective? I only saw one for the first time in my last game, but that was without the DLC.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 9, 2016

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Huh, so apparently I was already accidentally following Klei. Haven't played Shank, but played Mark of the Ninja and quite a lot of Don't Starve (specifically Don't Starve Together). That's neat to know, and I should really be paying more attention to them.

protomexican
May 1, 2009
Klei also did some support work for the dev that did Crypt of the Necrodancer, which is an awesome game that everyone should play.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Reading this thread renewed my love for this game. Has anyone played the ps4 version? I have it on Steam, but my computer is kinda crappy and it'll probably overheat quickly if I play it now.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

lotus circle posted:

Reading this thread renewed my love for this game. Has anyone played the ps4 version? I have it on Steam, but my computer is kinda crappy and it'll probably overheat quickly if I play it now.

I have been periodically raving about it. It is quite a good port, though not without some quirks. Totally fine though.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

1 day down! :toot: Now that we've reached a new day, a few new missions will spawn on the map. Let's check them out, get prepped, then recap where we're at to kick off Day 2.

This K&O vault mission is still here, but they've increased their security. It's now level 2 difficulty instead of 1. I'll skip this one even though it's the closest, since I've used up the vault card. One thing to note is the travel time: 6 hours. Even though it looks very close by, all missions have a minimum travel time of 5 hours no matter what. This puts a hard limit on how many missions you can squeeze in per day.

There's a new detention centre mission in New Zealand. These missions let you add a new agent to the team, by breaking them out of prison. But I'll have to put it off for now. It's level 3, and right at the start of the day is not a good time to try jumping ahead in difficulty. Not to mention, it's not always a good idea to expand your team right away. Your new agent will have no starting items, and only their base-level stats. So they may lag behind your other agents, and be more of a liability until you can get them armed and level them up.

There's a server farm in Perth. This type of mission is basically a shopping mission, which gives you a wide selection of programs for Incognita. But I don't feel like flying out all that way yet, with the only other mission close by being that detention centre. Ideally I should save up some money beforehand, too.

In North America, there are new financial suite and executive terminal missions. Another financial suite sounds great. I could maybe go check out that vault later once I get another card. Although I've already shown this type of mission, hell it's even the same corporation as last time, this time I can show off what's changed between day 1 and day 2. Now that that's decided, let's get prepped.

Monst3r's selling a smoke grenade, but I've already got one. Instead I'll sell him stuff, to make room in my inventory and get some more money for stats. Starting with this charge pack. Charge packs are common and disposable, so they're first on the chopping block.

I also sell off my cloak. While even the lovely weakest cloak can help save your rear end in a tight situation, I should be able to keep everything under control if I keep pumping up Internationale's speed. The extra money from this cloak will let me buy her another point for 700 credits. I was already planning to trade this cloak in for a better version as fast as possible anyway, so might as well sell it off now when those credits can make a real difference.

That leaves me with the smoke grenade, shock trap, and stim left for special items, and then the speed upgrade for Internationale. Internationale gets the stim since she's the only one who can use it. Gladstone will carry the other toys so she can use them if her slow rear end gets in trouble.

Now I'm ready to head to the next mission, which I'll cover in the next update (real soon now). But in the meantime, let's recap everything we've got.

DAY 2 REPORT

CREDITS: 146 (NET WORTH: 10146)

Incognita Programs: 3 out of 5 currently equipped

Seed - Passive ability. The first program you use each turn has its PWR cost reduced by 4.

Parasite - 0 PWR*. Infects a mainframe device with a parasite, which then breaks 1 firewall per turn.
*Power cost increases by 1 for each Parasite already in use.

Leash - Passive ability. Extends your control over all hacked drones by 1 turn.

Augments:
Wireless Emitter - Starting augment. Detect nearby mainframe devices, and wirelessly hijack consoles.
Net Downlink - Grants 2 AP each time a device is hacked. (max: 6 AP per turn)

Weapon:
Neural Disrupter. No armor piercing. Knocks out a guard for 2 turns. 3 turn cooldown.

Items:
Stim I - Grants 4 AP. 9 turn cooldown. Requires 2 Speed to use.

Stats:
4 Speed gives her a base AP of 11, and allows her to use speed-based items like cloaks and stims.
2 Hacking grants +1 bonus PWR whenever she hijacks a console.
2 Strength lets her carry 4 items without being encumbered. Improves dragging speed.
2 Anarchy allows robbing guards from behind, and use of some special items with an anarchy requirement.

Augments:
Antiviral Proxy - Starting augment. Grants 5 PWR whenever an enemy daemon program is activated.
Reactive Moyomer - Reduces her starting AP to 6, but adds 1 max AP each alarm level.
Torque Injectors - Reduces all her item cooldowns by 1 turn.

Weapon:
Neural Disrupter. No armor piercing. Knocks out a guard for 2 turns. 3 turn cooldown.

Items:
Smoke Grenade - Disposable. Creates a cloud that blocks vision for 3 tiles.
Shock Trap I - Traps a door to knock out whoever opens it for 3 turns. Ignores armor. Requires 2 Anarchy to use.

Stats:
1 Speed gives her a base AP of 8.
1 Hacking gives no bonus when hacking consoles.
1 Strength lets her carry 3 items without being encumbered.
3 Anarchy allows robbing guards from behind, with a small monetary bonus. Allows use of some special items with an anarchy requirement.

Next stop: FTM Financial Suite (revisited)

Bifauxnen fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 11, 2016

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Something to note in your mission selection strategy breakdowns in the future: though it usually only becomes terribly relevant in Endless, the game will not spawn more than two of a mission type at a time. So executive terminal missions (especially if it's already spawned both of them) are even less valuable than they would be in a campaign run. If you can afford to leave them alone, the map will populate to max missions on its own in a few days, at which point they become just extra dots on the screen. Of course, whether you can afford to leave them alone is up to the RNG, so... v:shobon:v

Bifauxnen posted:

Stats:
1 Speed gives her a base AP of 8.
1 Hacking gives no bonus when hacking consoles.
1 Strength lets her carry 3 items without being encumbered.
3 Anarchy allows robbing guards from behind, with a small monetary bonus. Allows use of some special items with an anarchy requirement.

Ummm...what? Something seems a touch off in this image.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Felinoid posted:

Ummm...what? Something seems a touch off in this image.

Yikes, must've messed up some of my copy pasting while I was rushing through it at work. Will fix it up soon as Minifauxnen goes to sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Ok, that should be fixed now, but gently caress the new Imgur beta. It's really messing with my uploads. :argh:

• Locked thread