Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
On one hand that game looks like poo poo, on the other hand Battlerite looks awesome. Too bad its at the 40 dollar tier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUKKEN
Dec 27, 2007
PROTIP: To defeat the Cyberdemon, shoot at it until it dies.
Speaking of which, they actually showcasted the game.The broadcaster had some internet issues though.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Wow, it looks like BLC. The battlerite system seems... gimmicky? Hard to tell without more info. Looks like they're persistent buffs from round to round, looked like they were random at first. Sorta reminds me of HotS in that respect.

Seeing the actual gameplay tho... drat, I'm actually jonesing to play it now. lmao at the stutter/lag in a promo video tho.

e: Seems to be two heroes they haven't show cased before, too busy to watch through and see if they get played.

Minera fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 2, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Megasabin posted:

On one hand that game looks like poo poo, on the other hand Battlerite looks awesome. Too bad its at the 40 dollar tier.

diabotical looks sick af if you like arena shooters, which you should lest you're an Unfortunate Gamer

i also don't see the borderlands comparison since borderlands is a loot game with basically zero dexterity requirements and is purely pve

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Countblanc posted:

diabotical looks sick af if you like arena shooters, which you should lest you're an Unfortunate Gamer

i also don't see the borderlands comparison since borderlands is a loot game with basically zero dexterity requirements and is purely pve

turn the audio on

and after toxikk i'm extremely hesitant to trust any shooter that uses the exact same tagline of "frag like it's 1999" when the last one did this: http://steamcharts.com/app/324810#All

I'd rather frag like it's 2016 and just play the fps all my friends actually own, like Overwatch, ya dig? The resurgence of fps games starting with battleborn feels like everyone capitalizing on the fps market in light of OW's success the same way every developer had to make a moba clone after League of Legends.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

http://youtubedoubler.com/iWEU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
This stream of Battlerite is extremely encouraging. Everything I've heard about the game on paper and the logo release and the character design and the almost generic cartoony look really made me uneasy about the game.

But actually seeing it in action is completely different. Stunlock really learned their lessons (visually) from Bloodline Champions. The game is remarkably clear and it's very easy to tell what the hell's going on even coming into the game completely fresh. Even with having no clue what the abilities are and how good they are and stuff, I can immediately tell when someone's doing a big powerful ultimate or EX ability, I can tell when someone's just taking pot shots, I can tell when someone's running away vs. when they're using an ability to escape.

The cartoony style -- which I wasn't a fan of at first because I really loved Bloodline Champion's look and direction it was amazingly original and very creative -- is growing on me. Characters remain distinctive, while reading much more cleanly when you zoom out and are actively playing the game.

One thing in particular I love is the slowdown on kills. It looks cool, and it also tells everyone in the match that Someone Died, which is a seriously huge thing in a 2v2 or 3v3 environment. It gives the team that's now a man down some time to gather themselves and re-evaluate how to get out of the nasty situation that they're in... and it also gives the aggressors time to line up abilities and finish off whoever's left.

After being on the fence about this game for a few months now I'm actually looking forward to beta access // release.

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Arena fps games are cool. Games dont have to be popular to be good, for example this game is probably going to be good but dead

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Alpha participants are not allowed to discuss features or details of the game, but speaking as one I will say I am stoked for my next opportunity to play, and my hype for the beta phase has only increased.

Edit: Also, I took some horrible screengrabs from the promo stream and put the unannounced champs up in the op. Should I put the rest of the official champion descriptions up or leave em as-is?

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 2, 2016

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
http://stunlockstudios.nouncy.com/battlerite-gameplay-trailer#/

Who asks to share things in Linkedin?

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
That is kind of weird, but I guess maybe if you work in the game industry it could make a kind of sense...?

Also that site (nouncy) made my browser really slow and unresponsive.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
http://steamcommunity.com/games/504370/announcements/detail/582474175924516466

Closed beta 3th-4th September with later dates to be announced, footage and screenshots are still under NDA but the rest is lifted, everyone participating in the alpha gets access + random draw from the people signed up. 20th September early access, previous alpha/bets keys don't carry over, costs ~20€ and includes all the characters released up to the end of early access, NDA fully lifted.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe

Arzachel posted:

, costs ~20€ and includes all the characters released up to the end of early access

This is all you need to know. Looks like it wasn't Funcom who killed BLC after all - Stunlock doesn't know what the gently caress they're doing.

A 'pure skill competitive e-sport' where you have to grind/buy individual characters and more come out all the time. Great.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Macavity posted:

This is all you need to know. Looks like it wasn't Funcom who killed BLC after all - Stunlock doesn't know what the gently caress they're doing.

A 'pure skill competitive e-sport' where you have to grind/buy individual characters and more come out all the time. Great.

How is this different from any fighting game besides the follow up content not being packaged in a full price release?

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Is the plant man back in this game? He was my favorite when I tried the original.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia

Macavity posted:

I have to agree here, their monetization scheme of buying individual heroes really kills the player growth needed for a F2P game to succeed. They are not Riot, they are not Blizzard, they are just a small company with a game with near zero hype.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Is the plant man back in this game? He was my favorite when I tried the original.

Not yet. Glutton is also missing so far.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Anyone gotten a spare key yet? A friend got a key from a giveaway, who apparently got a key from someone that got two (one for a friend)

I'd love to play with him if someone has a dupe.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Macavity posted:

Playerbase is king and Smash (for example, there are other FGs with per character pricing for post-release content) follows this model, so...

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not sure if anyone else saw it but this is pretty cool as a spectator/observer mode for the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKfRdn0CnXE

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

Not sure if anyone else saw it but this is pretty cool as a spectator/observer mode for the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKfRdn0CnXE

Apparently it also works with just kb+m with the VR integration being a side benefit.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:frogsiren: Beta Codes Being Sent Out For Test This Weekend :frogsiren:

Check your emails, they've sent out alpha/beta keys for a test this weekend from Friday to Sunday.

Edit - I'll just add some of the info they gave in the email for the benefit of others etc.

quote:

The first test session will be open between:

Friday September 2nd, 22:00 CEST (1:00 PM PDT / 4:00 PM EDT), 2016 to Sunday September 4th, 22:00 CEST (1:00 PM PDT / 4:00 PM EDT), 2016.

The session will last a total of 48 hours. During this test session we have confirmed servers available in:

US-East
US-West
Europe (West, North and Central)
South East Asia (Singapore)

With a possibility for additional servers in South America (Lima). Trying to play the game from other regions of the world may result in a less than optimal experience.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Aug 31, 2016

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I got in. Looking forward to try this out

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

I'm super excited to try this weekend!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sounds like there'll be at least a few Goons playing it which will be cool.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

For the beta, they've loosened the NDA so that you can discuss what happens in the game, but still can't stream/record. So there's no reason we can't share our ids here, and find a discord to play in.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ruzihm posted:

For the beta, they've loosened the NDA so that you can discuss what happens in the game, but still can't stream/record. So there's no reason we can't share our ids here, and find a discord to play in.

I set up a Battlerite channel on the SA Discord. Could probably set up a whole different discord once the game actually launches if need be.

Thread for it is here - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787504

Direct invite here: https://discord.gg/gRX76tt

You'll still need to do the auth stuff so read the linked thread.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 2, 2016

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So it turns out the servers are up right now, though apparently they're the old test servers so if you can get on you may not have the ~true 9/2-9/4 beta experience~

Edit - And they're down now that they caught on.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 2, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Got a few matches in, so thanks for the heads up. I'm really happy with the game, from what I managed to see of it.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

is 2v2 or 3v3 the main game mode?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It seems that 2v2 is the more focused mode, but 3v3 is just as good of a mode. In private matches you can play 1v1 too apparently.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
So they will send you an invite to your email if you got into the beta?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Got in 50 or so matches today and I have to say it plays pretty well. The big concern is the hero balance for the stuff coming out after the Early Access stuff and making sure it's not a "pay to win with the new hero" and making sure there's actually people playing regularly.

I really like this more than BLC overall which is a good sign.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

So they will send you an invite to your email if you got into the beta?

Keys should already have gone out, mine went to the promotions folder.

I played in the alpha, games is really good even though the new character visual design sucks compared to BLC. Battlerites and pickups feel like good additions.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 3, 2016

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Played a couple of games and this is real fun. I'm just having a weird time with the interrupt button, how often do you guys use it and what do you bind it to? And do people tend to turn move to interrupt on?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

Played a couple of games and this is real fun. I'm just having a weird time with the interrupt button, how often do you guys use it and what do you bind it to? And do people tend to turn move to interrupt on?

Mostly faking casts for baiting spell block and trance abilities, iirc there's a small gcd after now instead of being free like in BLC. Move to interrupt or interrupt bind is personal preference, whatever feels better for you.

Edit: in BLC it also let you stop some friendly defensive abilities prematurely, like Gluttons Earth Shield that pinned you in place.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 3, 2016

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

holy crap, i played a bunch of games yesterday without realizing that you can hold left shift for more EX abilities, there's an interrupt button, you can turn on move to interrupt... I thought theyd just simplified it.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't play with the interrupt on move on, and never use it, and I feel like I'm not doing awful. Maybe I'm just worst than I realize :ohdear:

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010
Battlerite twitter is giving steam codes for the beta. I'm terribly slow with that kinda stuff but I managed to snag one because they accidentally put some codes with a missing character on it, so I tried it with a random character and it ended up being accepted. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Unfunny Poster posted:

I don't play with the interrupt on move on, and never use it, and I feel like I'm not doing awful. Maybe I'm just worst than I realize :ohdear:

I don't think you have to use it, it's just what I used in BLC. I think you do want to use the interrupt button if you don't use move to interrupt, and you are trying to play optimally.

• Locked thread