Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Hi all,

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place - please point me in the right direction!

My child is just finishing 10th grade (US) and has expressed an interest in going to college for music theory and composition. I have an informal background and am encouraging and directing him as best I can, but is there a good pool of resources - here or elsewhere - for young students who want to pursue theory and composition in secondary school?

Thanks! :sax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I did a music composition undergrad, and here are my personal recommendations for preparing for college as a composer.

This is sure not to be universal, but my High School had an AP/IB music theory class for juniors and seniors, which is a good place to start, if it's available. Tutoring services may or may not be an option as well. If your kid isn't taking private lessons on an instrument right now, now is also the time to start.

You might also consider looking at the entrance requirements for music schools in your budget. Programs are often pretty competitive! IMO emailing theory/comp professors at your local music school is a good way to make connections. They or their grad students may also be able to provide private instruction, or at least have suggestions on where to go for it. (I've also taught composition and college prep theory over Skype, but I wouldn't want to make anyone explain to their children that they are a goon)

Here's the biggest thing I can say right now though. By far the best things to have on your application as a comp student are live recordings of music you've written. Regardless of other instruction or study, encourage your kid to write, and develop relationships with any ensemble directors at their school or community. See if by college application time, they can't have a recording or two, whether it's a duet they're written for their own instrument and an accompanist, a little arrangement of a hymn for a church choir, a piece for a highschool band or orchestra, or even if they play in an indie rock band and makes sick beatz in ableton, get a recording of something they wrote or arranged (preferably wrote).

I don't have a good list of online stuff right now, but there are bound to be resources out there. Wikipedia's articles on music theory are comprehensive, if dense and not often self-explanatory. If you'd like to tell us about the kid's current experience, expectations, interests, instruments, etc, that might help too.

e: you might also check out the classical thread or small questions thread

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 12, 2016

• Locked thread