Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I don't understand how anyone is excited for more Titanfall.

Like the first game wasn't terrible or anything, it was actually rather fun the few times I played it at a friend's. But it never seemed liked it was worth buying a console for, and the PC version was deader than poo poo last I heard.

Titanfall was one of those games people cared about because of its console exclusivity, and that turned out to not mean anything. It's a game that just sorta exists, occasionally brought up when another game includes a mechanic similar to one of its own and then gets promptly forgotten by most people when the conversation moves on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

SUNKOS posted:

People are excited because the first game was one of the most enjoyable and well-crafted multiplayer shooters ever made. It's up there with Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament.

If it was up there with either one of those games, it'd have a playerbase on PC.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Phi230 posted:

There are many characters in ME2 and beyond that are such obvious self inserts of the fanfiction writers on bioware's staff

and let me remind you that there are literal fanfiction writers leading the writing on p. much every bioware game since shortly after the EA acquisition.

A writer's got to start somewhere. Fanfiction or original fiction posted on a blog or whatever, writing is writing.

The number of people who write "professionally" and are successful novelists is extremely low. Hell, most people who write a novel and manage to get it published are lucky if they get picked up to write a second or third book before their career is effectively dead in the water. It's actually rather cool that there's more games out there that are taking their writing into greater consideration, since it's another way for amateurs to get into a job doing what they love for a living. It doesn't always end up "good" by someone's personal standards, but it's good enough for someone else.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Orv posted:

Mass Effect 2 lets you defenestrate a man from a trillionth story window for doing his job, making it the superior ME game.

If he was doing his job he wouldn't have deserved it.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

SUNKOS posted:

It does. People still play Quake 3 and UT as well.

I don't think anyone will be clinging to the original Titanfall quite that hard 15 years from now, which is the key difference, and why I wouldn't put it anywhere near UT or Q3. It's biggest problem is definitely a lack of content, to the point that all the near movement stuff in the game, and the Titans themselves, didn't stop the game from losing an enormous percentage of its userbase within a month of release. Particularly on PC.

Maybe they'll fix it with Titanfall 2, but the ball is firmly in NotInfinty Ward's court to prove that they can, and they fumbled hard with the first game.

• Locked thread