Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
da2 is the only bad game they made lately

also what were the shoehorned gay characters in me2

people always accuse bioware of doing that but never explain

is this the "there must be a deep narrative reason or else its pandering" meme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
good

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
i can't wait to preorder Mass Effect: Andromeda, the new hit game from Bioware

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Endorph posted:

my issue with bioware gay stuff is that it's all pretty much written like an afterschool special about how gay people are cool and normal, and not actually written with gay people in mind

well you can't deny that that's a good fit for the maturity level of the target audience

also for what it's worth i am gay and i often read discussions in glbt online communities that are related to videogames and bioware characters are usually well recieved

meanwhile the people who complain that those characters are poorly written pandering have a ~40-50% chance to then try to tell me about ethics in bideogam jurnalisms

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
man i love that word filter

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Sakurazuka posted:

Unironic use of hamburger helper nice

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Endorph posted:

i mean, define 'literal fanfiction writers' because if you wrote fanfiction when you were a teenager i dont think that really reflects on you as an adult anymore than my decade old myspace page about how good yellowcard is reflects on me

im a gay too, dude, and in the online community that exists inside my head bioware is pretty garbage

I think a lot of the good reception is just how hard up people, especially people who only play AAA western games, are for any sort of representation.

oh yeah that's very true

i like Dorian from Inquisition, for example, but i still groaned when he was revealed, though i'm sure that bioware meant well

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Phi230 posted:

bioware minority characters are mainly insulting because they're clearly tokens. And tokenism is bad because it basically feeds into "oh x character is a gay but he's one of the good ones" kind of poo poo

tokenism is also bad because it doesn't make the distinction that minorities are normal people

how are they tokens

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Endorph posted:

The thing about tokenism is that the solution isn't really 'don't put these characters into your games,' it's 'put in more.' You have a space opera with like, 150 characters with at least a few dialogue trees, you can have more than 3 gay dudes and a lesbian. Even if a character's not that well written they don't really feel like a token attempt to appear progressive if there's seven other gay dudes in the same game.

actually if you make a game with 150 characters and make 8 of them glbt idiots will cry at you about cultural marxism and give your game bad reviews on steam and metacritic

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
i hate it when token hetero characters bring up their sexuality without any narrative reason for it

drat sjws

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Phi230 posted:

sex scenes and hetero sexualization are also bad don't be immature

i know that

but people who are mad about minority representation tend to have no problems with this

they don't care about pandering they're just mad that people who are different from them are getting pandered to too

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
also i agree with what you said in the stuff you added in edit

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Endorph posted:

then do it anyway bioware is one of the biggest companies in the world they can handle reddit getting mad

i know but i feel bad for small devs who get hit with this poo poo :(

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
what's everyone watching, the giantbomb stream?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

When was this shown? Stopped watching after Bethesda's thing was over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

CJacobs posted:

Why would you ever watch something on twitch without immediately closing the chat panel and never looking at it

And youtube chat is even worse

• Locked thread