Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Phi230 posted:

ME2 is bad and

Present evidence. ME2 is, as it turns out, good.

Inquisition is bad though, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Phi230 posted:

ME2 lacked the world building and atmosphere of 1, replacing it for soulless, shallow action movie plot

ME1 was star trek mixed with 24. ME2 was forgettable action movie of the week

ME2 is nothing but world building. It basically jettisons the plot for 80% of the game and focuses on the areas and races that we didn't get to see in the first game. That's why I put it on equal footing with 1, even though a lot about it is weaker.

ME1 is like a Star Trek movie, ME2 is like a Star Trek series. Both are good.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Phi230 posted:

ME1 was an RPG and ME2 was a dumb shooter, different strokes i guess

As someone that loves both RPGs and shooters (shooters are not dumb, it is you who is dumb), ME2's gameplay was far better than 1's. Just, objectively speaking.

I'd have loved ME2 to have been a full on RPG, but only if it was a good one.

No one played the ME series for its gameplay anyway.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I've given it some thought and the only thing outside of Asari's that I can remember is your yeoman Kelly Chambers who you could pursue a half baked romance as a female character. If there are any other gay characters, they are in the background

Why do gay characters have to be shoehorned? Are the gay people we know shoehorned into reality? Am I the shoe or are they?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm interested in Titanfall 2 but only because the idea of a mech based campaign game appeals to me. I don't know poo poo about the first one though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Liu posted:

me1 was better than 2.

In some ways yes. In others no.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

smell this posted:

do you own an Xbox 360?

Not after my second one RROD'd in 2009 or so, no.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Phi230 posted:

I hope ME goes back to its roots of being a sci fi exploration game that focuses on the world around you and not a handful of mary sues but what do I know

Not a lot if you still use terms like Mary Sue.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Phi230 posted:

The purpose in which they are portrayed. A token gay character is expressly a minority so you have like one gay dude represented at all. The purpose of representing them at all being to appear progressive and inclusive rather than any other reason. Also included to be a "gay character" rather than a character who is gay, which is the biggest and most important distinction. Whatever character's gayness is the point of the character whereas a good character being gay would be something that gives that character more depth as apart of several other character traits.

Minorities are normal people and are not defined by their status as a minority. To make a character "oh that's the gay one" does nothing but to separate gay from normal.

Yes but it's incredibly easy to point at any non-white-cis-male character and claim that they're a token and use that as another means to stigmatise them. Shouting at Bioware for their (admittedly clumsy) diversity isn't going to encourage them to be better.

A relative was trying to convince me today that Hermione's casting in the Harry Potter play was tokenism today (and he opened his statement with 'this might sound racist but...'). Saying 'they shouldn't have been *insert trait* because it's tokenism' just makes the problem worse. If he's said 'ok they've made Hermione black now how about further diversifying the cast' then that'd be great.

stev fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 12, 2016

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Phi230 posted:

poo poo yea that's why my argument isn't "don't represent these characters"

its represent more of them, everywhere.

I want a video game without a single straight white person in it, unironically, if not just for the nerd outrage.

I believe there is a game set in Africa that reddit was in an outrage over because there were no white people in it. More of that.

Make all of the planets in SWTOR gay planets! Straight people get a designated planet in DLC.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

My memory is a bit fuzzy but isn't a big part of her story that she was genetically engineered to be sexy as gently caress, and her story is based around escaping from and killing the creepy bastard that designed her?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Phi230 posted:

the "gay planet" poo poo is exactly what I'm talking about

yay for LGBT representation

but they're literally segregated from everybody else as different

Again I think this was Bioware earnestly trying to address an issue after the fact, and going about it in a clumsy way. Which I infinitely prefer to them not trying at all.

They're getting better all the time. :unsmith: (Except their games aren't).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'll be working or sleeping through just about all of the conferences this year.

And I'm ok with that. What a cool feeling.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rinkles posted:

Made*

:[

Pillars of Eternity is the best 90s/early 00s Bioware game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rinkles posted:

I'm all for the revival of the classical crpg, but I miss their bigger budget output.

Me too, but I can't see them allying with a large publisher for a big budget RPG outing any time soon. They've both burned and been burned quite a lot.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That sounds like a slim version with better output options for their teevee content, rather than an actual upgrade.

I'm good thanks.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

HMS Boromir posted:

I'm pretty sure word on the street is there was going to be one of these, but also an xbox One Point Five codenamed Scorpio, as a counterpart to the PS4 Neo. So that'll be the thing to watch out for if you want to buy a second xbox one for some reason.

I don't even want to buy a first one.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Reminder: Never look at chat during a press conference, especially if a non-shootmans game is announced.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Has it started yet? EA's official stream is still just chill tunes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh, well good thing ME3 soured me completely on Bioware so I don't care. I just think they really had a good thing going with the gameplay, even the multiplayer component.

ME3 was pretty good though. All things considered.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Internet Kraken posted:

Isn't Titanfall that game that flared out in like a month

Unlike all other games?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SirKibbles posted:

This guys delivery is so stiff

He's a game developer.

If I play this it'll be on PC but fewer third party single console exclusives is always nice.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

E3 is bad.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That looked a bit too close to open world. If they've taken even a little bit of inspiration from Inquisition then gently caress everything.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I do agree though, ME would be way better if it wasn't so determined to star humanity. Humans are the worst race in most fictional universes, especially Mass Effect.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

If they can recreate Tony Hawk's Underground with football then cool.

Just as long as you have an open world area for each pitch, with questgivers and cities.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

...Alluding to children spending money on their literal gambling products. Nice.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Teikanmi posted:

Soccer is literally the most boring sport ever invented

American football Handegg, baseball and golf.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I like Zoink. They're cool and I wanna give this man a hug.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Internet Kraken posted:

Someone made this game already and it was called Bontanicula

Botanicula's great but wut.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Amy Hennig joined Visceral?!

Ok now I'm into it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CJacobs posted:

Shame Amy Hennig is working on Star Wars instead of something actually interesting. What a waste of her talent.

There's no reason a Star Wars game can't be interesting.

Just because there hasn't been one yet, doesn't mean there won't be. Visceral's good and she's good. So maybe it'll be good.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Internet Kraken posted:

This is why E3 is stupid. They don't actually have enough content for a show so they just pad it out with a bunch of clips of development that nobody wants to see.

It tends to be a major problem every other E3. Like every presenter and developer is on the same two year cycle.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Remember when press conferences always ended with one last big surprise trailer mic drop?

That hasn't happened in loving ages.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I will never not despise that Twitter account.

Boring Geoff is way better.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

exquisite tea posted:

Why did they need to remaster Skyrim? It already looks drat good especially with the new generation of cards that can run it with super megazord AA.

Other than more $$ I guess.

Consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

New Prey and Quake got announced during my slumber?

Awesome.

• Locked thread